Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:25:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 312
Total: 313

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just adding my name to the ever-growing list...  (Read 7787 times)

Offline richva

Just adding my name to the ever-growing list...
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:33:47 am »
Hi, All -

I'm @ 18 years, 8 months, and a few days/hours +/- since seroconversion... but, who's counting, right?  I've been visiting the forums for some time, both as a guest and now as a new member; this morning I felt it was time to introduce myself and say "Yo!  Whattup?"

And also to say "thanks"... to the many, many people who have had positive and encouraging things to say, wisdom to share, and comfort to offer.  I've benefited from you all.

I've chosen to write this, my first post, today, and for good reason: Last night I took my very first anti-HIV medication, Atripla.  How lucky am I to have coasted for almost 19 years without popping a pill!  Actually, I suppose I could have eked out a few more months, perhaps even a year with my 309 or so t-cells doing whatever it is they do each day....  But, I was ready.  Ready to bring the fight to the virus, ready to commit to the regimen, ready to honor this body of mine and say, "Thanks for bringing me this far.  Now, let me help you out a little."

I downed the pill at 9:00 last night right before "American Idol", got a little giggly around 9:20, and tucked myself in bed by 10:18.  And, that's my pretty much my story.  One odd dream, a little unsteady when I got up to pee, some tossing and turning....  A little hungover feeling at 7:00 this morning....  And, right now... fine.

My coffee tastes particularly delicious this morning.

Not overconfident, mind you.  I know, statistically, that night two can be worse, as can subsequent days and nights as chemicals build up and my body adjusts.  I know I'm not out of the woods when it comes to drug side effects.  But, at the same time, I wanted to tell you all - shout to the world, really - that "Hey!  I made it!  I'm still here."

Between picking up the prescription and swallowing the pill, I was apprehensive, but I wasn't afraid.  I was melancholy, but I didn't despair.  And, oddly, I felt terribly brave.  Well-informed, well-prepared...brave.

And, I think some folks here have had something to do with that.  So, again, thanks.

08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed
03/25/2008 (YUP - 16 years later!) CD4 336/21% VL 217,000; started meds
08/2012 - Alive, living! and doing just fine, TYVM (w/ props to my doc, insurance carrier and Complera. I remember every day that I'm a lucky boy.)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Just adding my name to the ever-growing list...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:23:26 am »
  Welcome to the forums...You have a great attitude ...a good reminder for me to keep on smiling...thanks
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Texan38

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:32:34 am »
Almost 19 years...very impressive. Hello there and WELCOME!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:50:24 pm »
Hi Richva, welcome to the forums.  I've been diagnosed for 19 years as well.  Glad to have you here and hope to hear more!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:44:24 pm »
Hi there and welcome

I wanted to tell you I really appreciate your thoughts about beginning meds. That was wonderful. That is probably the attitude that has helped me live for such a long, long time as well.

cool,
Sharkie

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:05:01 pm »
I just wanted to say HI.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline sprockett9

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:49:23 pm »
Richva,

Good luck -- and I am SO glad to continue to read about the long term survivors here!  It is hard to believe that it has been two years since I found out!  Keep us up to date on how the Atripla goes -- I continue to wonder how it is (have heard all the stories on side effects like most people here)...

I still always wonder if I did the right thing -- I don't regret it but still.  I caught the virus right during the seroconversion (man, it took me down).  Nothing like having an awful cold for a couple days and then looking in the mirror one morning and seeing the rash -- I knew then what it was).  Anyway, I started the drugs immediately -- my Dr. wanted to bring my viral loads down immediately since they were still spiking -- thus set my base line low.  I know this is somewhat new to people versus the long timers that didn't have this as even an option.  I have read articles that every now and then support the decision so...

Well, enough of me -- your story got me thinking of my drug situation -- two years, 5 months and counting!!!

Dean

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »
Hey, Rich.  Welcome to the forums.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 06:00:09 pm »
Congrats on your 18+ years of being poz with no meds. I am going into my 21st year but have been on some med or the other for almost all of them.  Welcome to the forums. Are you in VA?  If so and you are close to DC contact me for poz social info. We have them every month.

David

Offline richva

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »
Good evening, folks, and thanks to those of you who have posted to my post and welcomed me into the clan.

As insane as it sounds, I'm looking forward to taking my Atripla this evening.  Morbid curiosity, I suppose, wondering if I'll get by as easily tonight as I did last night.  As for my first post-pill day, no worries.  A full day at work, a healthy appetite (as usual), a decent commute to/from the office.... 

And, all day, this tremendous sense of relief.  Not because it's going pretty well, although I'm certainly grateful for that, even if it's just for now.  But, more because I don't have to wonder anymore about the day I'd start meds.  (Or, dread the day I'd start meds, more accurately.)  It's come.  And gone.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed
08/2012 - Alive, living! and doing just fine, TYVM (w/ props to my doc, insurance carrier and Complera. I remember every day that I'm a lucky boy.)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:32:16 am »
Hello Rich,

Just want to say hello, and welcome you. Like you, I also had quite a few years pass by  (about 18) before I started on meds. Wishing you the best, and hoping all is going well with the Atripla !!

Take care of yourself-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 11:49:12 am »
Wow, that's a long time with no meds!   Spectacular.

Welcome, and look forward to hearing more from you Rich.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline richva

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 04:57:52 pm »
To the two above (following all of the others), thanks for the welcome ;D

I should probably post this Atripla update elsewhere; I'd like for folks considering starting meds to come across it.  Anyway, night 2, day 2 even easier of a time than night 1, day 1.  Knock on wood....  I can't believe how well it's going.

Rich
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:32 am »
Hey Rich,

First, congrats on starting meds with now problems. That is great to hear.  ;D

I also love your attitude. I think that is one of the ways we who are more seasoned in the HIV battle have managed to last this long.

Also, welcome to the forums. I am glad you joined in.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 02:52:44 pm »
Welcome Rich!

You have a great attitude. Here's wishing you all the best!
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline 25YRSAGO

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:48:53 pm »
Hey RichVA,

Sounds like you did pretty much what I did (I waited 15 yrs. before taking anything).  MY DOCS admit to me nowadays that this strategy may not have been such a bad idea (in the early days, they were pretty much overdosing people...but it appears the pharm companies may have gotten this problem under some control by now).  Atripla works for both my partner and me.  We both take it just before bedtime.  I've always had odd dreams and couldn't take the Sustiva on it's own (total trip)..but in the combo pill...the dreams aren't so bad.  If you get up to pee, be careful..as it's easy to lose a little balance...stay away from stairs (and pets that are on the stairs).  All in all, this drug has worked well for both my partner and I...esp. him.  He's been undetectable and has like 900 tcells now.  As for me, it's not been THAT good...but probably as good or better than any other drug I've swallowed in the past ten or so years.  Just go in for your blood tests so your doc can monitor any possible problems.  This 'regimen' is the easiest for sure!!!

Great luck to you!!
STRONG MIND, STRONG BODY, STRONG SPIRIT!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.