Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:41:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 241
Total: 242

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scared of starting the Meds!!  (Read 6323 times)

Offline makesmewonder

• Thats how i Love to Feel!! Ps: Thats my feet!!
Scared of starting the Meds!!
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:02:20 am »
 ???

Hello everybody! I am a little bit panicking lately because tomorrow i have to go and see my advisor because my doc said that i need to start the meds!! My cd4 has been floating between 280 and 290 for the last 6 months so he told me its time to start! ahhhhhhhhh
he suggested Sustiva+Truvada, only the 2 pilss every night! its all right isnt it? but my concern is the first side effects, im really scared of becoming depressed or about the " vivid dreams" that a lot of people experince! i dont know, i had panic attacks before and i really scared of starting having them or feeling weird things! i dont know maybe these are the thoughts in my head but they really scared me!
Well we will see, probably next week i will start the medications!! so we will see!
I just wanted to talk about it and take off my chest!
I dont even know what to ask the advisor she will be talking to me about the medication and all thats is involved with it and its going to be  hard to take too much information at one time but i will get it!
Well everybody i think that is it for me for now!
I cant wait to have some replies!
Stay well everybody!

"Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and in the kingdom of the sick.  Although we all prefer to use only the good passport, sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place. "

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
Re: Scared of starting the Meds!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:16 am »
Hi,

I must share with you, the med's now a days do have some side effects, but NOT what you think. The combos are simplier, and have minimal side effects. I take Kaletra and Truvada. This October 2008, will be 4 years on the same med's. The first couple of weeks, I did have loose bowl movements, but, thats it. They went away.
The med's are important, and when you weigh the pro's and con's, with of without med's, you'll see what I am talking about.
Once again, starting med's is a step forward, don't make any side effects stop you either. This is your life we are talking about.
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:36:07 am »
Hey Wonder,

I understand your consternation regarding starting meds.

But keep in mind, the meds are your way of kicking viral butt and not letting this virus decide your life for you.

In many ways, it puts you in control.

Now, about Sustiva. No getting around the fact there may be some initial side effects.

Here is a link to starting Sustiva:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/SustivaTips_7550.shtml

It could be helpful for you and show you that others have dealt with potential side effects and done well.

Remember, not everyone gets side effects. Initially, you may have some and they may go away after a few weeks or months.

I always give a drug two months to settle down. I may even let it go further if things are tapering off and it looks like I will be able to handle it.

I hope you have few or no side effects from the meds and do splendidly.

Keep us posted on how things go.

HUGS.

Mark
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:38:20 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 09:37:21 am »
Hi, welcome to the forums.

You don't have to take Sustiva if you don't want to, there are other combos. I have similar concens to yours about the possible mood-swing side effect and so I plan to take Truvada and boosted Rayataz when it's time for me to start.

Not everyone gets the Sustiva side-effects though, and you could also give it a chance and change if you don't like it after a month or two.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:05 am »
I am having real brain farts today.

Ann is absolutely correct. There are many options and quite a few for first-line meds.

The boosted Reyataz was a good combo for me. I couldn't handle Sustiva.

If this is your first regimen, you may be able to take unboosted Reyataz. Also there is a once-a-day combo using Lexiva for the treatment naive.

Anyway, I think the bottom line is it is time to start meds. Don't be aftraid to voice any concerns or worries about the meds to the doc or your adviser.

Let us know how things go.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline makesmewonder

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:10:13 am »
ahhhh
Thank you everybody! i will see tomorrow with the advisor!! lets see whats she is going to say! i dont know how is the treatment is the UK, i dont know if they have the same line to follow!
but we will see!!

Thank u!!

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."  ~Erma Bombeck
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:23:12 am by makesmewonder »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:27:30 am »
Why worry about side effects until you actually get them?  The majority of people do NOT get them.  And if you find yourself in the minority, then you simply switch to something else -- that's where having good communication skills with your doctor becomes the patient's responsibility.

But yeah, if it was me I'd start with Reyetaz not Sustiva :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:36:36 am »
I have been taking Sustiva and Truvada for years and I have never had any bad side affects from it  , I do have some fun dreams some nights .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline makesmewonder

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:42:07 am »
Hey JG!!!

thank you!!I dont mind about the vivid dreams, so it makes me feel a bit better about it!

Thank you!

T

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:54:23 am »
 You are welcome T , I know starting meds can be a scary time but I was pleasantly surprised and found that the fear was the worst part of starting meds .

They have done wonders for my health also , that's a side affect I can live with . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:54 am »
As Mark said think where you would be without the meds.  And as Philly said most people don't have side effects.  I am very fortunate to have adjusted very well to my meds and had little to no side effects.

My dr and I discussed Sustiva.  I decided against it due to the side effects and am on Reyataz, Truvada and Norvir.  A great combo for me in its effectiveness and few side effects.  The important thing is that you discuss your concerns about your meds with your doctor and you reach a decision together.

Best to you,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Florida69

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:55 am »
???

Hello everybody! I am a little bit panicking lately because tomorrow i have to go and see my advisor because my doc said that i need to start the meds!! My cd4 has been floating between 280 and 290 for the last 6 months so he told me its time to start! ahhhhhhhhh
he suggested Sustiva+Truvada, only the 2 pilss every night! its all right isnt it? but my concern is the first side effects, im really scared of becoming depressed or about the " vivid dreams" that a lot of people experince! i dont know, i had panic attacks before and i really scared of starting having them or feeling weird things! i dont know maybe these are the thoughts in my head but they really scared me!
Well we will see, probably next week i will start the medications!! so we will see!
I just wanted to talk about it and take off my chest!
I dont even know what to ask the advisor she will be talking to me about the medication and all thats is involved with it and its going to be  hard to take too much information at one time but i will get it!
Well everybody i think that is it for me for now!
I cant wait to have some replies!
Stay well everybody!

"Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and in the kingdom of the sick.  Although we all prefer to use only the good passport, sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell, to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place. "

Starting meds is very scary, but you can do it..  I started meds right after testing positive over 2 years ago.  The dreams on Sustiva were kinda of a fun ride, so don't worry.  They don't last and before you know it you will be sleeping like a baby through the night.  Hang in there, and I promise once you start taking the meds you will feel better.   Good luck, D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 11:44:54 am »
I understand your fears about starting meds.  But believe me, what will happen if you DON'T start them is a much greater thing to fear.   I am thankful that drugs are available.

Best of luck, and let us know how it is working out for you.   My first suggestion to you (and everyone) is to get a 'weekly' pill box, even if you are only taking a couple of pills a day.   It lets you know at a glance if you did or did not miss a dose, plus helps you to know exactly when you will run out.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 05:07:16 pm »
Hi,

I can understand your fears. But remember this - if the combo has too bad side effects there is almost certainly another combo that will work with tolerable side effects. All people experience different effects and different severities.

I didn't like Sustiva because it made me fumbly after taking it which made it difficult to do activities like driving or programming after taking it. I also felt more tired during the day. But I know several other people who tolerate Sustiva just fine, so don't just reject it without discussing with your doc.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:24:18 pm »
i dont know how is the treatment is the UK, i dont know if they have the same line to follow!
but we will see!!

I'm also in the UK - well, I'm not technically, but my clinic is in Liverpool. I told my doc a few months ago what I plan to use for my first-line and he's fine with it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 09:50:02 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Two years ago I began my meds treatment with Sustiva & Truvada and then switched to Atripla [a single with the same drugs] in Aug 06.  It's worked well for me with any effects lessening within the first week. Now, I generally get a familiar buzz within an hour. It helps me sleep and dream a bit, but all good. I kinda miss those psychedelic dreams first two nights ... LOL

Here's a recent post in the forum about might help.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=21535.msg275528#msg275528

My doctor was quite honest about possible effects. Knockwood, I've been spared any bad side effects.

It's a tough decision but there are other options available.

Let us know what you decide.

all the best,
YaKaMein

YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline rick21007

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 11:12:12 pm »
I was right where you are just about three weeks ago.  Have been on Atripla since then, and like you had some anxiety about the sustiva.  For me the side-effects werent bad.  I had the vivid dreams in the beginning but those faded way too quickly.  I switched to taking it ams rather than at night as suggested by my MDr and it did make me spacey for a few hours in the morning but that is subsiding now.  I could still keep my car between the ditches when I drove, but now I find I am barely noticing any effect at all.  I can remember the first night I took it and waited--expecting something like an LSD trip but that never happened!  Best of Luck to You!!!

Rick

Offline rick21007

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:43 pm »
BTW my other concern was fatigue.  I work out at noon 5 days a week and was hoping that would not cut into my energy level to work out which it never did.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 11:50:39 am »
Starting can definitely be nerve-wrecking but, as many have said, the sides can often be manageable and/or minimal for some people (that was mainly my experience).

Good luck and wishing you the best!

Happy Pride...
Mike :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 12:42:52 pm »
Hello Wonder,

Do not fear starting meds.The meds will indeed allow you to take control of your quality of life and the positive effects on your immune system and viral load will be amazing.It is certainly wonderful to have robust health and vitality comparable to before you became hiv positive. Most of us now laugh at ourselves when we think that we once feared meds as well.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 11:14:13 pm »
Hello Wonder,

Do not fear starting meds.The meds will indeed allow you to take control of your quality of life and the positive effects on your immune system and viral load will be amazing.It is certainly wonderful to have robust health and vitality comparable to before you became hiv positive. Most of us now laugh at ourselves when we think that we once feared meds as well.

I mean no disrespect but after looking at the numbers you've posted in your sig line, and if they are correct, yours might be the most bizarre response I've ever read at AIDSMEDS.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:16:01 pm by Dachshund »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.