Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:52:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aids Walk Atlanta, thinking of "protesting" Delta Airlines  (Read 7215 times)

Offline zach

Aids Walk Atlanta, thinking of "protesting" Delta Airlines
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »
Six months ago I was fired from Delta while undergoing psychiatric treatment. In the weeks prior to that, my privacy was violated to extent that my AIDS status became common knowledge.

I have never taken part in any type of direct activism. It irks me that Delta is enjoying the publicity of sponsorship, while at the same time facing at least one lawsuit.

Am I being selfish? Any advice on how to proceed?

http://www.poz.com/articles/delta_air_lines_hiv_1_22967.shtml

Offline zach

Re: Aids Walk Atlanta, thinking of "protesting" Delta Airlines
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:52:27 am »
just trying to bump this up, i could really use some advice here

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:01:04 am »
Six months ago I was fired from Delta while undergoing psychiatric treatment. In the weeks prior to that, my privacy was violated to extent that my AIDS status became common knowledge.

I have never taken part in any type of direct activism. It irks me that Delta is enjoying the publicity of sponsorship, while at the same time facing at least one lawsuit.

Am I being selfish? Any advice on how to proceed?

http://www.poz.com/articles/delta_air_lines_hiv_1_22967.shtml

Since you are currently engaged in a lawsuit with Delta, you should first contact your attorney to get his advice on whether it is advisable to protest Delta while you have pending lawsuit against them.  The publicity could have an impact on your case (not sure if it would be positive or negative -- that's why you should contact your attorney).

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:35:01 am »
Since you are currently engaged in a lawsuit with Delta, you should first contact your attorney to get his advice on whether it is advisable to protest Delta while you have pending lawsuit against them.  The publicity could have an impact on your case (not sure if it would be positive or negative -- that's why you should contact your attorney).

i'm not involved in that lawsuit

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:07 am »
Were you fired because of your HIV status? Were you discriminated against because of it?

If my employer fired me out of direct or indirect discrimination due to my HIV status I wouldnt give two figs about protesting, I would consider filing a lawsuit however.  At least for lost and projected wages.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:14 pm »
i don't think any company is stupid enough to openly fire someone because of their status.

my privacy was violated. to the point that my aids status became common knowledge. then the jokes started. requests for help from human resources, eap, and glen (gay and lesbian employee network) were all ignored.

sorry i asked the question, i was hoping for guidance in unfamiliar waters.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:40:01 pm »
i don't think any company is stupid enough to openly fire someone because of their status.

my privacy was violated. to the point that my aids status became common knowledge. then the jokes started. requests for help from human resources, eap, and glen (gay and lesbian employee network) were all ignored.

sorry i asked the question, i was hoping for guidance in unfamiliar waters.

Why are you apologizing? 

You posted a link regarding a lawsuit against delta for HIV discrimination and stated you were fired.  Maybe there is some confusion about the question you are asking.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 04:33:47 am »
I would fight like hell.  Delta is always happy to be in the pride parade make them put up or shut up.  If they do not right this I will be will you walking in front of their float next year claiming bullshit

Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 05:35:46 am »
I was wrongfully fired twice in my life.  It doesn't really matter the "rationale", wrongful termination is incredibly stressful and violating.  And to boot it usually is the final act in a work situation that had been poisonous (so add more stress, more damage.) 
So, you need some professional help on two fronts. 

1) You need expert legal advice - is there anything you can do at this point about the wrongful termination - AND - if there is - is it worth doing?

2) probably some expert attention to your PTSD about the experience. (therapist)

The first time I was wrongfully fired, I walked away from the whole situation. Still,  like a bad breakup after a bad patch in a relationship, it takes time to heal.

The second time, I wanted the job and was super pissed at the bad management that allowed my firing.  I got legal and municipal (employee rights) advice, and actually got my job back.  Caveat, i had already started to see the company's independent Mediator before I was fired.  Well, when I got my job back, she warned me that the toxic situation had not been resolved, and it would be an unpleasant work experience, BUT, it was my right to work, and there are of course ways to protect oneself and move the heat away. 

Anyway, just a few weeks back to work, a dramatic event arrived in my personal life that required my attention. (my partner got seriously sick and also had a mental breakdown.)  I requested of management some temporary accommodation so I could take care of private matters (all staff was on yearly flex schedules and nobody needed to work a fixed amount....)  Of course, the response was poison and resistance.  So, I quit.  Irony!

After that experience, once again, there were regrets and a period of healing to get over the PTSD.  In retrospect - I did learn some good lessons about sticking up for myself and my rights.  But I also learned toxic is toxic is toxic and so the contradictory wisdom is that sometimes its foolish to fight for your right to a toxic experience. 

But, its not easy, is it. And these are our jobs and our salaries, which we need!

I would suggest you see experts and listen VERY carefully to the advice they give you on a few fronts.  You did nothing wrong, people did you wrong, and that sucks.  You deserve better.  If you can redress it, fine, but that's not the only issue, now. Because your life has changed and everyone involved is in a new, different "present", and this issue is about the past.

Best of luck with that.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:40:22 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.