Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:03:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 607
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pre-International AIDS Conference Press Teleconference 8/8  (Read 5973 times)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
Pre-International AIDS Conference Press Teleconference 8/8
« on: August 03, 2006, 06:39:19 pm »
To All Interested Parties:

I am a member of the CHAMP Organization (Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project) and have just received an alert about a teleconference (Press Only) happening on August 8th.

This is the title of the Press Release: "UNITED STATES, LEADING FUNDER in GLOBAL AIDS BATTLE, UNDER SCRUTINY at INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE for FAILURE TO STEM DOMESTIC EPIDEMIC".

Any Forums members who are Press Professionals can contact Julie Davids, Executive Director of CHAMP: jdavids@champnetwork.org for more information.

I was part of another teleconference held by this group a couple of weeks ago, and must say how interesting it was.

Thought you might be interested.

Regards,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Pre-International AIDS Conference Press Teleconference 8/8
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 06:47:21 pm »
Dear Zephie,

I am always interested in what you do!  I wish I could consider myself a Press Professional but nobody buys that any more.  My life has been reduced to being a guy with AIDS who is willing to disclose to the press.  My last interview turned into one line, Michael, a man living with AIDS in Forestville stated, "we are going to have to be real creative in order to maintain the level of services in Sonoma County."

I am ever so blown away by the things you are able to accomplish for all of us.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline zephyr

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 07:01:46 pm »
Hi Michael!!

Thanks, honey, for chiming in....I seem to have "press" on the brain lately, as I'm still awaiting my own interviews to get published by my local newspaper...(I noticed the headlines today had to do with a huge pot-plant bust in the higher mountains....and I mean LARGE HEADLINES).

There is so much going on in the world today pertaining to the HIV/AIDS issue, and sometimes I forget to link folks to what things I get sent on a daily basis...this teleconference should be very interesting for those representing the press.

I've also heard that the Immigration issue as it pertains to HIV+ folk is going to be a major topic of discussion at the IAC, as well. The U.S. policy on that one is going to get hit, and hit hard, I think.

For those who do not know, the slogan for this years IAC is: 'TIME TO DELIVER".

Appropriate, considering all the rhetoric emitted from the talking heads these past years, wouldn't you say?

The winds of change are here, and the voices are getting louder.

My voice along with the many,

Zephie

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 07:38:25 pm »
Zephie Dear,

Interesting point about the POT Plants making headlines...  California Proposition 215 was approved by voters by 56% in 1996.  This is a higher percentage of votes than received by any political candidate (including President Clinton).

Prop 215 makes cultivation of pot plant legal for a person living with a disease IF prescribed by a physician.  The number of plants cultivated as medicine, vary per county.  I was just reading that law yesterday and I believe 100 plants is the average per person.

If those plant, growing in the Sierra Foothills belong to a person living with an illness and that person has license to grow their own medicine,  the value of those plants have to be returned to the grower.  I believe that statute is People ex rel. Lungren v. Peron, "Caregiver" vs. "Drug House" definitions discussion  Renumeration, or payment for services discussion.  Have the best day
Michael

www.chrisconrad.com/expert.witness/Prop215.html

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:19:25 pm »
Dear Zephie,

I just found out yesterday, my interviews and articles for the last year have bitten me in the backside.  That vineyard deal we were talking about the other day has a new twist.

The seller will not carry a second deed of trust and his broker will not return the calls or answer email from my broker.  There were aware of a disability from the beginning.  They found a newspaper article where I disclosed my AIDS diagnosis.  So much for ending stigma and helping others keep their health care and support funding.

My only choice now is to find an investor with $100,000.00, who will take second position and 10% interest.  My broker/lender is not helping with this issue.  It is all up to me.

You already own a business and if you should need to take out a loan for working capital or to expand for future clients, a local article may destroy your chances of getting funded.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:02:48 pm »
for FAILURE TO STEM DOMESTIC EPIDEMIC".

How does one become part of this solution? I willing and able...I have my little speech on AUG 10th to 80 kids 14-21 y.o. I'll be throwing out condoms all over the place. God I feel so alone LoL
Positive since 1985

Offline zephyr

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 09:00:12 pm »
Michael...

That's a damn shame, your news about the vineyard/lender. Small minds are all around us, that's a fact.

I remember years ago, when my Landscape business was quite successful, and I had the P & L's to prove it, my local banks refused to do business with me when I wanted to expand. Didn't have enough money on deposit with them. It was at that point I decided I'd do everything on my own, screw them, and haven't approached any lending institution for any damn thing since then.

Future repercussions of my 'public disclosure' in this county don't faze me one bit. I can do anything that I want to do, once I've made up my mind to do it, and I don't want anything from them. Anyone else having a problem with my HIV status can go jump into Lake Tahoe, for all I care.
And, I won't take anything personally.

Best of luck to you with locating a private funder. I think your plans sound wonderful, and you know that I'm rootin' for you.

Jeff....I'm proud of you for facilitating this talk on the 10th....80 kids, you say? Wow!! Your efforts do not go unnoticed, my dear, and you know I am rootin' for you, too!

Thanks, gents...

Zephie

Offline Trish

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 10:37:07 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I guess I'm elated...

Wonderful news Zeph.

YOU ROCK GIRLFRIEND!!!

OOPS, I HAVE TO SAY THAT I MUST HAVE DRANK TOO MANY PEPSI'S TODAY... I MEANT TO POST THIS IN YOUR OTHER POST....  I WILL MOVE IT THERE NOW.  What a jackass I am...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:18:51 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 11:18:18 pm »
Have another bong, baby

Offline Trish

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 11:19:34 pm »
IT WAS TOO MANY PEPSI'S, I SWEAR!!!

yeah right? ::)
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 11:32:21 pm »
is Pepsi a new slang term? I'm trying to stay jiggy with the street, ya know <grin>

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 11:43:38 pm »
No problem Jon,  just look for the sign

Offline zephyr

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 03:47:44 pm »
LOL!!!

Girlfriend....what am I gonna do with you?????

Love ya to the ends of the Earth, that's what!!

Look out Montreal, here we come...........................YEEEEE HAAAAA!

;D

Zephie

Offline Trish

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 03:50:01 pm »
I'm a blonde, ya know? ::) :o ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.