Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:55:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Colloidal Silver  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Rafaelmagura

Colloidal Silver
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:28 pm »
Does Colloidal Silver really work ?

I don't know if i posted this in the right spot.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Colloidal Silver
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:09:18 am »
If you are asking if it cures HIV then the answer is no Rafael, I'm sure it has it's uses for other ailments, but when it comes to HIV don't believe anything you read about it being a cure for HIV.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:53:01 am »
If you take enough of it, it will turn your skin blue and you will look like a smurf, it works for that.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:17 am »
Yep, bright blue and permanently!  Would be almost funny if it wasn't tragic.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:16 am »
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/silver#hed3

tiny silver particles suspended in liquid. Scientific evidence does not support the use of colloidal silver to treat any disease, and serious, irreversible side effects can result from its use. Colloidal silver products are often marketed as dietary supplements with various unproven health-related claims. This fact sheet provides a general overview of colloidal silver and suggests sources for additional information.
Alert from the FDA

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not consider colloidal silver to be safe or effective for treating any disease or condition and has issued an advisory regarding its safety. Colloidal silver can cause serious side effects, such as argyria.
Key Points

Colloidal silver is not safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
    Colloidal silver can cause serious side effects. The most common is argyria, a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, which is usually not treatable or reversible.
    The FDA and the Federal Trade Commission have taken action against a number of companies (including some companies that sell products over the Internet) for making drug-like claims about colloidal silver products.
    Tell all your health care providers about any complementary health practices you use. Give them a full picture of what you do to manage your health. This will help ensure coordinated and safe care.
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Rafaelmagura

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:39 pm »
I don't mean to use it for my HIV treatment , I've read it help with acne and to get over a cold faster .

Like I stated in my question does collodial silver has it's benefits ?

And Growler I don't believe everything the FDA.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »
Care to share something longer about yourself?

So far, you are worried about facial wasting.  Curious about snake oil treatment (colloidal silver).  And don't give the FDA much cred. 

I mean, if you care to say...  How are you thinking and feeling and acting about being HIV+?

Dermatologists have some good treatments for acne.  Don't want to try some? Can't, for some reason?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:15 am »
Care to share something longer about yourself?

So far, you are worried about facial wasting.  Curious about snake oil treatment (colloidal silver).  And don't give the FDA much cred. 

I mean, if you care to say...  How are you thinking and feeling and acting about being HIV+?

Dermatologists have some good treatments for acne.  Don't want to try some? Can't, for some reason?

Maybe he likes beer.  After all, he is 19.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Rafaelmagura

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:16:44 am »
It's completely rude the way you guys answer sometimes. This is a forum to ask questions to people who are in your same situation, I'm tired of the way people reply to others if you have something negative to say maybe you shouldn't be reading what I'm asking about its completely disgusting that you can't ask question's because there people that are some a****** , If you feel a certain way of the way am expressing my self than maybe you should re-read the thing you wrote before posting it .

mecch - If I wanna share whatever I want it is non of your business this is a forum were you ask questions and you get answers , If you have no answers to my question just skip over it and leave it alone.

I also feel fabulous of being hiv + without it I wouldn't be the bright person am today and having HIV is not something I'm a shame so before you make and assumption's make sure you have all the details in check. also If I were feeling a certain way about it I wouldn't have put my name down and a picture of myself.

Thanks,
 If there's anything you would like to know about me leave a comment and I will feel free to educate you on my life .
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:20:37 am by Rafaelmagura »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:54:12 am »
Rafael, colloidal silver is snakeoil and this has been proven. The sites out there who claim it does this that or the other just want your money.

It's up to you whether or not you decide to fork over money for something that not only won't help your health issues, but also has serious toxic effects.

I'd advise against it - and I don't need to know your life's history to say that.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:58:52 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:05 am »
It's completely rude the way you guys answer sometimes. This is a forum to ask questions to people who are in your same situation, I'm tired of the way people reply to others if you have something negative to say maybe you shouldn't be reading what I'm asking about its completely disgusting that you can't ask question's because there people that are some a****** , If you feel a certain way of the way am expressing my self than maybe you should re-read the thing you wrote before posting it .

mecch - If I wanna share whatever I want it is non of your business this is a forum were you ask questions and you get answers , If you have no answers to my question just skip over it and leave it alone.

I also feel fabulous of being hiv + without it I wouldn't be the bright person am today and having HIV is not something I'm a shame so before you make and assumption's make sure you have all the details in check. also If I were feeling a certain way about it I wouldn't have put my name down and a picture of myself.

Thanks,
 If there's anything you would like to know about me leave a comment and I will feel free to educate you on my life .

Rafael, the point of my post is not to diss you. Rather to show you that you said two, and possible three, things that can worry people on this forum. 

Anytime we hear someone interested in a treatment that is useless and even dangerous (such as colloidal silver - no matter what someone might use it for), it's responsible for people on this forum to ask questions - why the interest in "snake oil."??   You say you want to use it for acne, but its not going to work for anything.  And you are not the first person to come on the forum wondering about colodial silver -- and sometimes its people who hope it might treat HIV. 

So we, or at least I, just asked some questions.  Why not go to a dermatologist and get some trusted advice and proven treatment?  That's all.   Because that is part of living well with HIV --- listening to medical experts, knowing the facts, being informed. Not just about HIV infection but all health issues. 

The second thing (that worried me, at least) was your post about facial wasting.  Nobody is saying you are silly or foolish to start wondering about that.  Fine.  Just that many people come to the forum with this concern, and the only thing people here can communicate - is that facial wasting is NOT usually a problem these days, and really not for someone only a few years HIV+, such as you. 

But people can get really really really worried about this.  Guys your age can, naturally, start to panic, wondering if their looks are going to get destroyed by the HAART or HIV.  Its human to worry.  The action is to inform yourself. That facial wasting is PROBABLY not a concern for a guy your age.

The standard advice is that a doctor has to evaluate this.  A doctor will look at your face and maybe even pictures from a few years ago, and also start to watch you over the next year or two. If necessary. Probably not necessary.  The doctor can help ease a person's anxiety about this, when the doctor says, "no, its not a concern." (Or, if god forbid it is, in some rare event, then the doctor has to step up to the plate and deal with this.)

Finally, the possibly third thing was just your general cowboy youthful bravado -- fine, great even, but just concern that its might lead you to actions that are not supported by medical science.  Or useless anxieties.  Or wasted money.  People advised that colloidal silver is a scam and dangerous and referred to experts and you immediately dismissed the expert (FDA, for example.) 

That's it.

Try not to be so defensive.  People are passing information on to you.  Worried old fogies, maybe.  IF you have it all under control and know everything then its over concern, obviously.

On the other hand, if you have questions about the info - then follow up.  Don't shoot the messenger.  Its meant to be a dialogue.  Thats the only reason i asked if you care to share more.  Cause people would like to hear that you are on a good path to living well with HIV. 

Another reason people here (like myself) might ask a poster, such as yourself, more about his/her life, situation, is to discern why the interest in snake oil, because people from all around the world, and from all different cultures, post here.  There are different medical traditions around the world. 

Also, there are the economics of getting continued medical care, and good medicine.  Cost, access, and lack of access - can contribute to decisions or beliefs about medical care.   

You are young.  Someone your age, might not be aware that in many countries, in the history of this epidemic, people suffered and died, and were royally ripped off to boot, with useless treatments for HIV. Even AFTER tritherapy was available and proven.  It was criminal. Murderous.  And thats what we are talking about when we called something "snake oil".  Thats why everyone is very concerned to still inquire about such possibilities today.  Us old fogies.....   Saw too much bad shit go down.

If people made cracks about colloidal silver, and you took it personally, then I think everyone regrets that.  The cracks were about the snake oil, and the criminals who push it. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:55:49 am by mecch »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.