Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Flying & Meds

(1/2) > >>

cmhjeff:
I know this was a topic of concern for AMG but some time has past so I'm going to post the question again. We are flying out Thursday to DC to see a Cirque show and to visit a friend. This will be our first flight since the new carry-on restrictions. I know the restrictions have eased up some but I'm trying to decide how to handle my meds. I hate the thought of packing them in our checked baggage in fear of lost luggage. My partner Jeffrey is lucky for now because he is in a clinical trial in which he is off of meds for now while being closely monitored. For me on the other hand I simply can't miss a dose.  If anyone has traveled or knows I'd appreciate your suggestions. If I decide to take my meds in a carry on do they need to be in the prescription bottles rather than my weekly pill boxes? My Mepron is a liquid so does this have to be in my checked luggage?

Many Thanks!
Jeff

whizzer:
I flew a few weeks ago, before they loosened the travel restrictions.  I put my meds in my pillbox and put it in a little cooler bag with my Fuzeon, sterile water, and needles.  When I got to the security point, I put the bag in one of those grey boxes, looked at the attendant, said "medications", and that was all there was to it.  They didn't even look in the bag.

Take your meds, including your Mepron, in your carry on luggage, you sure don't want it to get lost.  Keep them in the original containers with the pharmacy labels on them if you are worried.

If you are really worried, take copies of your prescriptions with you, though I really doubt you'll need them.

Bon Voyage !!

jack:
I just returned from a trip where I went through several airports. I had all my meds in my carry on cause I was going to europe. My carry-on was opened in Houston. I always keep my meds in different containers than what they come in, cause they are smaller and I don't want anyone I may be traveling with to know I have the plague. The tsa handled them all and said nothing.
My wife got busted for a very small amount of lotion. I got busted in paris for a tube of toothpaste.

Ann:
Hi Jeff,

Like Whizzer said, keep your meds in their original containers with the labels on. If you get an over zealous inspector and you follow Jack's advice, you could be in trouble.

With the Mepron you will definitely need to keep it in the original container and you will also need some documentation to go along with it. (whether they ask for it may be another matter, but they can ask and you don't want to be without it if they do ask) There is also the possibility that if you don't actually need to take a dose while in flight that you will not be allowed to carry it in your carry on.

Your best bet would be to call the airline or the airport itself and ask what the current proceedure is for liquid medicines. Better safe than sorry. When I traveled last week I got a letter with my travel documents that stated liquid meds would not be allowed as carry on unless they were needed during flight (and documentation was necessary), but it may differ at US airports. This is a perfect example of knowledge being power. We don't want you to miss your meds!

Have a good time on your trip! ;)

Ann

jack:
No liquids allowed in US carryons.  I have traveled for 17 years with meds in different bottles. I have had them pulled out on several occasions. I have never had a problem. They are looking for terrorists not hiv ers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version