Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:09:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 246
Total: 247

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CVS stores to stop selling tobacco,...  (Read 5745 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
CVS stores to stop selling tobacco,...
« on: February 05, 2014, 01:37:04 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/health/cvs-cigarettes/

"(CNN) -- Want to pick up a pack of cigarettes with your prescription refill? A major U.S. pharmacy chain is breaking that habit.

CVS Caremark announced Wednesday it will stop selling cigarettes and other tobacco products at its CVS/pharmacy stores by October 1.

The retailer said the move makes CVS/pharmacy the first chain of national pharmacies to take tobacco products off the shelves.

"Ending the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products at CVS/pharmacy is the right thing for us to do for our customers and our company to help people on their path to better health," Larry J. Merlo, president and CEO of CVS Caremark, said in a statement. "Put simply, the sale of tobacco products is inconsistent with our purpose."
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

Re: CVS stores to stop selling tobacco,...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:40:49 pm »
I have always thought it was odd that drug stores would sell cigs.  But, I realized why; they make tons of money on them.

I've heard stories that CVS has questioned and refused to fill pain meds-- even totally legitimate ones. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »
  But, I realized why; they make tons of money on them.

CVS claims they will loose 2 billion in revenue from not selling the cigs.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:37 pm »

But they will continue to sell anti smoking remedies...doesn't that the include the ever increasing new market in  Ecigs/Vapor/Electronic Cigs? so eventually their sales should even out?
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:57:39 pm »

That $2 Billion dollars loss is against annual sales of $126 Billion, hardly a dent in the bottom line.

Joe

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:52 pm »
A pharmacy (being a healthcare institution)  shouldn't sell cigarettes, alcohol, candy, processed food, nor any of the myriad of products which are harmful. 

Problem is, besides drugs and bedpans that pretty much makes up the entire product line of most pharmacies. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:21:36 pm »
A pharmacy (being a healthcare institution)  shouldn't sell cigarettes, alcohol, candy, processed food, nor any of the myriad of products which are harmful. 

Problem is, besides drugs and bedpans that pretty much makes up the entire product line of most pharmacies.

Oh please -- you can buy candy and processed food, plus "myriads of products which are harmful" in a hospital and just about any health care institution.
Perhaps a history of CVS is in order.  Consumer Value Store started in my hometown (still headquartered in Woonsocket) and did NOT have a pharmacy as part of it in the beginning.  It was a place to buy stuff cheap.  Not sure when the pharmacy became part of it -- but for a long time their signs were CVS / Pharmacy, because not all had them.  If I remember correctly, the first CVS store to open a pharmacy was the one across the street from Woonsocket Hospital, now called Landmark Medical Center.  Woonsocket Hospital is where I entered this world and is the first job I had out of college -- in their Hematology Lab (but I digress)
I commend CVS for taking this stand, but one can take "healthy" expectations of a business too far.

Mike

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:15:31 pm »
That $2 Billion dollars loss is against annual sales of $126 Billion, hardly a dent in the bottom line.

Joe

And its not 2 billion lost PROFIT. Its lost sales.  So whatever the margin is on a cigarettes, that is what they will lose.   

Its a good move and more should join.  However it is rather depressing that budget retailers probably won't follow anytime soon. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:15 pm »

But they will continue to sell anti smoking remedies...doesn't that the include the ever increasing new market in  Ecigs/Vapor/Electronic Cigs? so eventually their sales should even out?

Are electronic cigs considered "anti smoking remedies"?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:09:44 am »
And its not 2 billion lost PROFIT. Its lost sales.  So whatever the margin is on a cigarettes, that is what they will lose.   

Its a good move and more should join.  However it is rather depressing that budget retailers probably won't follow anytime soon.

It is a natural move for a drug chain, but it's not like prohibition, so the cigarettes previously sold by CVS, will simply be sold by someone else.  There certainly is no shortage of cancer sticks.

Joe
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:14:25 am by Joe K »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:16:56 am »

In Canada, the government calls them "nicotine delivery devices" and is working on regulating (read tax) their sale and availability.  There are a few stores that sell them exclusively and they are really getting popular here.  I see them everywhere now.

Joe

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:44:17 am »

Oh yes, as far as I am concerned.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.