Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Bis repetita!

<< < (3/4) > >>

The Canuck:
Gord,

--- Quote ---As a Canuck I dream of one day seeing a Canadian team qualifying to play.
--- End quote ---

I guess it'll take awhile. Although it gained popularity through the years, this is a fairly ignored sport by Canadians, and I'm afraid it includes myself as It doesn't do anything for I. I just can't pass over the fact I find this game boring to death.  :(

Regards,

The Canuck

Val:
Hey, Canuck!
You know what? Soccer is a tradition sport, as I would call it!  Tradition in the sense that you start playing it with your brothers (when you're little) first; next, you play at school and then in college.  It is a very, very masculine kinda sport and being so creates a lot of bonds between the guys --- and girls as well, since they're playing it more often than ever.  Let me emphasize this once again:  "Between the guys, it does create very strong bonds!"  In addition to this, there is much more to Soccer than playing ball.  For example, it is an excuse to spend some time together (among guys) at the local bar sipping a beer and discussing something else.  You belong to a certain team all your life and, usually, you go to the stadium together as well.
Hope this gives you a slightly fair idea of what this wonderful (boring sometimes, it is true) sport is all about.  Just keep in mind this: "There is much more to Soccer than just plain  Soccer!"  And, believe me, I do know a lil'bit of what I'm talking about here! ;)

Une très bonne semaine à toi!
Val
___
P.S. As for Canada to be playing in the World Cup, well, it does take a long time to compete in world class level and beat the good teams.  Look at the U.S. team!
___

The Canuck:
Val,

--- Quote ---You know what? Soccer is a tradition sport, as I would call it!  Tradition in the sense that you start playing it with your brothers (when you're little) first; next, you play at school and then in college.  It is a very, very masculine kinda sport and being so creates a lot of bounds between the guys --- and girls as well, since they're playing it more often than ever.  Let me emphasize this once again:  "Between the guys, it does create very strong bounds!"  In addition to this, there is much more to Soccer than playing ball.  For example, it is an excuse to spend some time together (among guys) at the local bar sipping a beer and discussing something else.  You belong to a certain team all your life and, usually, you go to the stadium together as well.
--- End quote ---

What you described could be related to several other sports. the fact soccer isn't too popular in North America in general is possibly related to the fact there are a lot of professional sports to choose from such as ; Hockey, Baseball, Football ( Canadian & American ), Basketball,etc.. I have tried to watch it a few times over the years but it really doesn't do anything for me...I get bored as hell in less than 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong though, I'm feeling the same about some I just mentioned..especially football ( Canadian & American ). There's one who appears to me even more boring than soccer..it's rugby and basically unknown over here.

Bonne semaine,

The Canuck

allopathicholistic:
Growing up with a sport makes you like it - I think. I didn't grow up with soccer. I'm guessing part of soccer's appeal is knowing the stories, i.e., the individual personalities, the team rivalries, etc. Also, the players' endurance (all that endless running) and cheering /cutting loose with friends 

Val:
Canuck,
Of course, what I said about soccer applies to a lot of other sports too.  However, what makes soccer stand out is the  fact that it takes only two people to play it and have fun.  And it cannot be denied that it is the most popular sport in the whole wide world.  The Soccer World Cup, for example, is even more popular (and folllowed by billions) than The Olympics!
Also, gathering in a bar to watch a game between rival teams such as England and Argentina; or, even corse, France against Germany is something that cannot be put into words.  The atmosphere is short of being unbearable for many people, for it is really such a powerful feeling of nationalistic egotism and pride...!

Val
___
___

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version