Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:54:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: In a dark time tunnel of six weeks.  (Read 30950 times)

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
In a dark time tunnel of six weeks.
« on: February 10, 2007, 01:26:22 am »
I had sex with a HIV+ woman abt 2 weeks ago. Protected but condom slipped off upon withdrawal. Last week I started to feel pain in my joints (esp knees and fingers, sometimes wrists and elbows). I had a slight fever three times. The pain is annoying (coz never experienced before). Stressed!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:55:22 pm by hblaw »
Between Day 5 and Day 30, I got (i) myalgia and athralgia (including but not limited to fingers, wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles), (ii) mild fever, (iii) oral ulcer, (iv) nightsweat, (v) sore throat, and (vi) diarrhea.  I got everything book ARS. I had sex with HIV+ woman.
---------------
Recent test: Day 41 1/2 Neg ELISA 3rd generation

Offline RapidRod

Re: Symptoms - Worried
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:52:05 am »
Your pain is unrelated to HIV from this situation.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 02:55:00 am »
! Thanks for the quick reply.  I know that seroconvert is the cause of symptoms, and also that of antibodies. - Then how long after you have symtoms can antibodies be detected? Say, if I take a test now and get negative, can it rule out the posibility that the symtoms are related to HIV?
Between Day 5 and Day 30, I got (i) myalgia and athralgia (including but not limited to fingers, wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles), (ii) mild fever, (iii) oral ulcer, (iv) nightsweat, (v) sore throat, and (vi) diarrhea.  I got everything book ARS. I had sex with HIV+ woman.
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 03:07:53 am »
12/13 weeks when you get your conclusive test. Symptoms or lack of is not an indicator of HIV infection.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 03:23:38 am »
Saying symtpoms are not indicator is not relieving - rather, it frightened some worried wells like me. I just started to relate everything with HIV now.....

What I suspect is that symtoms will come all at once and concurrently. As joint pain may be the result of some high fever, etc. So does nightsweat.  So if you have nightsweat but no fever, it is because of anxiety but not seroconversion. [This is truely relieving if true].  But if you say, you should disregard symtoms. I can't. ......

Joint pain comes from nowhere - I haven't experienced it before. How can I not related it to HIV since it happened at such a right time? Not to mention that the woman is HIV+!  I had fever sometimes (now my tempereture comes up to 37.4). ...
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 03:38:20 am »
I can see right now you didn't read the "Welcome" thread before you began to post. You don't diagnosis HIV infection by symptoms only by testing. A 37.4 temp is not considered a high temp.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 03:54:08 am »
I have read it and heard it many many times. Believe me that I have. I also know that my risk is assessed low (since only upon withdrawal the condom slipped). Thank you anyway. I know I should not follow up with 'what ifs'. :-|

I just want to know, whether anxiety can cause joint pain, fever, nightsweat, etc.  At least that gives me another reason than HIV infection.
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 04:03:00 am »
Anxiety can cause a lot of things, but if you are having trouble, see your doctor. This is not HIV related.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 04:36:56 am »
Then I understand. Anxiety will not cause pain in joints - this is truely abnormal...
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 04:40:59 am »
I guess I didn't make myself clear. If you are having problems, see a doctor. It's unrelated to HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 11:44:44 am »
hb,

Having a condom slip off as you withdraw is not low risk, it's NO risk. You were protected while you were inside the vagina and that is what's important.

Work with your doctor to find out what is going on with you physically. Whatever it is, it won't be hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you do not need to test over this specific incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 07:02:57 pm »
Rapid and Ann,

Thank you!

I started to worry the first minute after the ecounter, and I am so frightened when I heard that the sex worker is HIV+.  I just want somebody to share with me that they had joint pain but resulted from elsewhere.  I can handle my dizziness, headache, diarrhea, slight fever, etc. But the pain is unexplanable.  I feel numbness in my arms when I wake up these days. I feel pain in my fingers, one by one. Sometimes in knees and elbows. Upper arm too. I am so scared. So scared.

Best Regards,
hblaw
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 07:04:25 am »
 ???

Is my encounter really at no risk?? Sorry I am too worried. Is it possible that some fluids go through the small cuts on my finger tip (resulted from dry winter)? Sometimes they bleed but I forgot whether it did when I inserted my fingers into her before sex.  She put on the condom for me. Also I did not clean immediately after withdrawal (as you remember, the condom slipped away). I just used toilet paper (passed to me by her, I don't know whether it was contaminated) to rub my penis (I remember one must use soap and running water). I put on my underwear and after 10 minutes or so, I suddenly get panic and washed my penis with alcohol - does it count? Sorry to run into such details but this is what I can remember (to the maximum extent possible). Oh, and we used the cheapest condom - I guess it is latex one? (It is really the first time I used condom and the first time I go to sex worker).

And my upper arm (right) hurts very much! I started to feel soar throat ... ! Bothering me. Sorry I can't wait. Please assure me that I will be OK. Panic Panic!!
---------------

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 07:57:31 am »
hb,

It is likely to be your panic that is causing your physical discomfort. Check it out with your doctor.

Whatever is going on, it has nothing to do with hiv. Fingering is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever become infected this way, regardless of dry skin, cuts, whatever, and you won't be the first. It isn't a risk.

A condom that slips off during withdrawal is also not a risk as I already told you. The condom was on and doing its job when you needed it to be. You have not had a risk.

I would suggest you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line and then  go out and buy yourself some condoms to practice with, on your own. This way, when you need to use one with another person, you'll know what you're doing and you'll be more confident.

You didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 09:06:16 pm »
What will it be like when condom broke? I didn't check it (it lasted only 3 mins).  The condom slipped off because my penis shrinked. It sticked in her body with abt 1/4 outside. It is possible that it slipped away earlier and exposed me?
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 09:10:26 pm »
If you seen it protruding it was lost during withdraw. Stop with the what ifs. You were never at risk.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:48 pm »
[DELETED. NO USE]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:46:37 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 02:16:54 am »
[DELETED. NO USE.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:47:02 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:59:58 am »
[DELETED. NO USE]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:47:26 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 03:29:59 am »
Knock it off, you didn't have a risk and whatever is wrong with you see a doctor. It's not about HIV.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 03:36:47 am »
Rapid, thank you. [... DELETED. NO USE.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:47:54 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 03:39:35 am »
Yes I agree, one day you will die, but today it's not going to be because of HIV.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:35 am »
How can I go through the window period! It's like nightmare. Day 18 now.  [DELETED. NO USE.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:48:38 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 10:21:57 am »
I dont think anything we say will be able to assure you one way or the other.  You were protected during intercourse, and thats what matters.  You have had no risk of HIV infection based on what you have told us.

You need to go see a Dr.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 01:22:13 pm »
hb,

Forget worrying about hiv tests and go see your doctor. Why are you sitting around in pain, diagnosing yourself? Hiv isn't the only illness in the world and you could be missing something (other than hiv) important by sitting around feeling sorry for yourself instead of seeing a doctor. You cannot diagnose yourself and we cannot diagnose you either. Go to your doctor.

You didn't have a risk of hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 08:50:02 pm »
Ann,

I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. It is like I am in a tunnel that never ends. I am hoping that you, as well as other moderators in the forum, can keep kicking me off until I get conclusive negative result. Many sorry for the annoyance.

[... DELETED. NO USE...]

Best Regards,
hb
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:49:29 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 08:55:21 pm »
Reread Ann's post to you. GO SEE A DOCTOR.........

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 04:58:18 am »
I seem to remember that somebody has said the following (in this forum or others):

About 10-20% of HIV+ will not show ARS. In the remaining who do show ARS, 80-90% has high-degree fever.

Not to relate to my case, just curious whether this is true.  I had read posts in "Just Tested Poz" about seroconversion, the ppl there who did have ARS seem to be extremely sever.

Yes somebody may show mild symptoms or not at all. Just want to figure out whether the symptoms are inter-related. Say, you had nightsweat because of fever, so it is with your joint pain. Things like this.

Forgive me, just curious.
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 05:11:09 am »
Go take a test, collect your negative result and move on. Helping you is beyond the scope of this forum. You have been given the facts and that's all that can be done.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 05:38:47 am »
Rod, you are truly rapid! [DELETED. NO USE.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:50:28 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 05:17:00 am »
[DELETED. NO USE.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:50:50 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 08:38:28 am »
Hey!

Are you just going to wallow in self-pity OR are you going to get yourself to a doctor to find out what is causing your discomfort?

This is an HIV-specific website. Your problem has nothing to do with HIV. Period. We can't diagnose or treat your symptoms here.

So if you're interested in doing more than crying "woe is me," then get yourself to a doctor and find out what's up. Seriously.

Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 10:30:54 am »
You need to seek a Doctors advice.  We cannot be of ANY further assistance to you.  And the self pity is disrespectful to those on here who HAVE HIV and those who have had real risks.  So stop it.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 08:35:59 pm »
[DELETED NO USE AND SORRY FOR ANYTHING IMPROPER - TO ANYONE WHO READ THIS BEFORE DELETION.]

I'll go test next week, that's my fourth week mark. I'll report result here. Preying for a NEG!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:51:58 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 08:43:57 pm »
If you want to test, test.  Don't come to this forum with your drama. You were given your assessment now it's up to you. Those of us that are answering your questions are living with HIV/AIDS. Like I said, if you want to test go test collect your negative result and move on.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 08:45:08 pm »
Acknowledged. Prey for a NEG.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:54:17 pm by hblaw »
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
Re: In a dark time tunnel of six weeks.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 08:26:51 am »
Can HIV+ people have coffee/tea?
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 09:25:06 am »
I am asking because I am addictive to coffee (strong black one with much caffaine). It may help me relax if hiv+ people can drinnk two cups every day. ...... Any idea?
---------------

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 11:11:03 am »
hb,

You are in real danger of getting a time out. You didn't have a risk. All this drama is unnecessary.

And of course people with hiv can drink coffee. I drink it by the gallon.

Ann

PS... hb, I've binned the thread you started in another forum. As Andy told you, you are not to post in those forums. You asked the question again here anyway, so there was no need for the repetition.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:24:13 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 07:40:25 pm »
Thank you Ann. Don't ban me so early. Please. Bear me for another 3 or 4 weeks, and I will be fine (if neg is with me). I am so glad to hear that coffee is not restricted for HIV+ people. I'll start to have two cups today! (I scared and stopped drinking after the incident). Thanks!!

PS. I thought coffee questions should be placed in Living With because it may help HIV+ as well, which, apparently, is wrong. This forum is wonderful for its strict rules, which makes it more authoratative, thanks for your work!.

PS2. Ann, you are not drinking decaffained coffee right?
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 05:50:32 am »
Sorry for coming back again. Ann, Rod, AC, and Andy, you must help me!!

I got fever now, and my shin aches! The fever is climbing steadily.  At my 23rd day, it is perfect timing. It should be ARS.  I know I shouldn't ask more with what ifs.  But the woman is HIV+, and my condom slipped away. I didn't wash immediatly and maybe there are vaginal fluids on my penis.  It should be ARS, right? I know ARS fever usually is high degree, so how high is it? It is going to break 37.5C this time! In half an hour it rose from 36.5 to 37.1 now! I am so scared!  And I noticed some new red spot on my left arm! Four of them. I am feeling cold in my feet now...... HELP!
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 06:11:39 am »
You are on the verge of getting a time out. You don't have a temperature.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 06:18:16 am »
Rod, sorry! Sorry! How high should the tempereture be? 38?39? My normal tempreture is only 36.5! Thanks!
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 06:23:35 am »
39-40 is a temp

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 06:29:38 am »
Oh thanks. That makes me feel better...  I got pain on the back and side of my neck these days (abt 3-4 days now). I think I am on the verge of a nerve break down (rather than a timeout) now. Rod, thank you anyway. I know complaining here will not make me HIV+ or HIV-. At least my experience may help other WW in the future, if my test come out good. Thank you!
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:31 am »
Rod, I felt a surge of fear just now. I felt chill and hot and chill and hot and so on and so forth for 2-3 hours now. ... My tempreture fluctuated between 37 and 37.5... ...
---------------

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 09:29:41 am »
That is not a temp. Are you trying to get a T.O. from this website? You're working on it.

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 02:01:05 am »
It is not related to my situation but I am just curious. In the 'testing' link, it is said that if :

You have had certain illnesses including TB (tuberculosis).

You should test for HIV. Why is this so??  Is it for those who shown immune system failure (i.e. long after being infected?).
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 04:31:42 am »
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=4327.0

OH MY GOD.  I did search again and this post comes up!!!  It said I am at risk! Different from what you guys have told me.  My case is much worse than him!
---------------

Offline hblaw

• Don't Worry
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2007, 08:50:20 am »
Oh. I have another question. Since HIV infection will depress the CD4 cells, which is responsible for defending our body, and I remember that somebody said that when they tested poz their CD4 is quite low, is it possible that my symptoms are resulted from the depressed immune system (just temporary, I know)?  Just to educate myself...
---------------

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.