Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:01:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 231
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Google ads in bottom left hand corner.  (Read 12750 times)

Offline manchesteruk

Google ads in bottom left hand corner.
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:16:34 pm »
Advertising a tea 80% effective against HIV! Never thought i'd see something like that on here unless it was coming from a rip off merchant!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline manchesteruk

Re: Google ads in bottom left hand corner.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:20:52 pm »
Oooh cures for diabetes now what ever next!  Your thinking maybe a herbal remedy guaranteed to boost cd4 counts???  Yep!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:47:19 pm »
Hi Chris,

The IT people at S&S are working on blocking those types of ads - they should be gone soon.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:15:08 pm »
Well all of you naysayers can... say nay but after visiting the link I cannot help but think it's 100% truth.  Surely no one would lie on the Internet?

Read this and I'm sure you'll be convinced too:

"This report has always covered a number of safe and effective supplements that combat aids and the hiv virus. Any or all of them were excellent, but they all pale in comparison to a remarkable immune support tea we recently learned about. Wild harvested and developed by a Native American healer, 795 of the approximately 1000 people with hiv who have used this tea are now in remission. Others are on their way. It works remarkably well to say the least.

Before we tell you more about this tea, a quick answer to an obvious question you may have. Why doesn’t the medical profession doesn't treat HIV or any of the other viral infections with safe, inexpensive supplements rather than with expensive and harmful antiviral medicines that don’t work very well. The short and simple answer is that your doctor is not educated about supplements, and in fact usually has a strong bias against them. He or she knows drugs."

It just so happens, completely coincidentally, that I have added this tea to my stock of numerous substances that the Merchants of Death don't want you to know about.  Today through Saturday we have a 2 for 1 special on colloidal silver and Immune System tea.  Act now!

As required by law I must show my competitor's pricing of this incredible product:

"Immune System Tea____#457_hiv
This all natural wildcrafted tea is made by a Native American healer. One bag makes a batch that lasts 6 weeks as it makes two gallons of tea and you take 2 ounces 3 times a day. Use for at least 6 months at this dosage and then you may be able to reduce the amount to 1 ounce 3 times a day. Stay on this maintenance. This tea has remarkable immune boosting and support properties. Helps improve energy and weight gain often within a week or so.

ONLY $169.00 for a six week supply!"

I can guarantee my Immune System tea is twice as effective (2X0=0) and I am selling a 6 week supply for only $158.73, an annual savings of $88.40!!

Order now while supplies last.  The tea market is in a state of rapid fluctuation right now and I cannot guarantee these bargain basement prices indefinitely!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:39:52 pm »

neigh... neeeeiiiiggghhh!!!!

And bah humbuggery too.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:16:29 pm »
For a change my ad blocker software must be working cuz I don't see anything of what you anti capitalists speak.  And I am not complaining...for a change.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:33:51 pm »
Wow.  Like an idiot, I've been taking Atripla.

Call Dr. Manto Tshabalala-Msimang!  She's gotta hear this shit!
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 01:25:09 pm »
ads, still there...

???

kate

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »
I've used herbs for years... but, there are limits... I kept myself alive for 5 years by diet, herbs and exercise and then I became a guinea pig for UAB 1917 clinic... under the merc study (crixivan) and I am alive to the new meds of today. When doing herbal teas... I had to drink such vast quantities of hot tea by the liters... each day as I thought I'd either blowup like the girl on Willie Wonka from  the blueberry desert... now my cd4 count went below 200 then I used herbal teas for there really was nothing else to use... they boosted my cd4 count to 900 but, over a period of time... the virus became more resilient and the cd4's began to decline... Oh and by no means did I ever pay the kind of money as in this advertisement... I ordered from Pacific Botanical... in Oregon ... organic grown and sold by the pound a good 6 month supply for less than 20 dollars... it was according to the type of herb ordered also.. I still use calendula, stinging nettle and I drink green and black tea... but, I pay no more than regular tea prices at a grocery store... So its buyer beware... a good book that I use is called  "Health Through Gods Pharmacy" by Maria Trebern... I also grow my own herbsand please check on the net.... as for some herbs have counteractions against some of the new meds... Read! oh and I meditate and smoke pot for nausea... plus I enjoy the high... be sweet!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:21:44 pm »
I must be going blind. 8) Don't see those ads.
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 03:48:20 pm »
I must be going blind. 8) Don't see those ads.

Hello ,

I see them . they are right below the "search" on the bottom left side of this page !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 07:45:50 pm »
At least the ones claiming cures for HIV and Diabetes have gone now, there's still some crap though!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 07:59:18 pm »
Yes but the "Symptoms of HIV/AIDS - buy anything on eBay" ones crack me up  ;D - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 08:24:41 pm »
Just saw a cracking one then faithmeds.com with the catchphrase 'God wants you better' thats genius.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:43 pm »
Just saw a cracking one then faithmeds.com with the catchphrase 'God wants you better' thats genius.

Too bad penicillin and HAART want me better, too... and are actually willing to do something about it to get me there. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline newt

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 08:31:41 pm »
It's money in the bank and we get a lauch at the  or optimism of capitalism

Offline newt

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 04:10:46 pm »
Ahem

still there...

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 04:21:21 pm »
At least the current ad is for something useful like restasis.  Some one else posted a sales pitch in the side effects forum earlier - I reported it - haven't check to see if it's gone.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 04:22:04 pm »
It's gone.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 04:26:07 pm »
I still see the ads..... 
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 04:27:41 pm »
Presto!  They just disappeared for me...and just as I was finding out about this thread!  How funny!  Just loved the part about how the ingredients were a 'tribal secret'...they just knew that they worked.   ::)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 05:46:59 pm »
Faithmeds is back! Seriously though I find it hard to understand why a website claiming to give AIDS and HIV Treatment Information can have adverts on it's pages for a herbal remedy claiming to be 80% effective against HIV.  I don't really care if they are trying to get rid of them surely this should have been tested elsewhere before they put it on the website I think it's a disgrace to be honest.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 05:50:37 pm »
I have to agree with Chris.  I clicked on one ad the other day and it linked to a website that said AIDS was a defect in our immune system.  I have no idea what that meant, but it sure didn't sound like the real cause of AIDS to me (i.e., a virus).

Thunter, how did you make them disappear?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 05:55:12 pm »
I didn't do anything.  They just disappeared during the time that I was checking out this thread earlier.  I now have an ad for DuncanHolly.org in that spot.  Something about sperm washing
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 05:59:09 pm »
ah, I just clicked on one that was for immune system tea (headline: 80% effective against HIV).  I wonder if it's green tea?!?

Offline newt

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 06:01:12 pm »
Exactly...several of those.

We're all adults with a sense of humour and some degree of skepticism about health products, but tis a minute's work to add the offending websites to an exclusion list on Google.

- matt

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 06:11:53 pm »
My 80% effective Anti-AIDS tea ad is back.  Guess I spoke too soon.  I just assumed when I saw that box go blank that the techie people had zapped it, but nope.  It was just shuffling ads, apparently.

I realize it isn't the AM people posting the ads, but it sure doesn't bode well for that sort of ad to be found on a site like this.  Lots of, er....'less informed' people will see that and perhaps think:  I'll be fine- just as soon as I drink me some Anti-AIDS Tea.  Better get some TB Tang while I'm at it...
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Dan J.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 06:18:48 pm »
I didn'teven notice the ads until I read this thread. Doesn't bother me because I won't be clickin' on any of them anyway.

Now if there was an ad with a naked boy in the photo. I would be clickin'!!! LOL

Dan J.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 06:33:04 pm »
I can see the point of why not just ignore them I would normally but when you go into the Am I Infected forum it advertises a HIV test for £110 which sounds a bit steep to me especially considering it would be free on the NHS and some of these people seem to go for multiple tests over a period of time it could cost them a lot of money.  As for the other ads i've seen people claiming that sort of stuff before but those times it was written on the wall in shit haha.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 06:51:02 pm »
On a general website, I don't have a problem with google ads.

On a medical website, it kind of does imply a certain 'approval' or recommendation of the product.  Some seem blatently scammish and others just really bad deals taking advantage of people.

I'd like to know more about how Aidsmeds/poz plan to 'filter' these scammish ads out? 

Right now I have the 'remarkable tea' 80% effective against aids (edit to add: "....advert on my my screen").

Hrm... well, I suppose a case of HIV-lite is better than a whole case of HIV.  But it's still hiv.

I would seriously consider removing that entire adblock until the owners can reasonable control the ad content, which they cannot at this time.

While I do understand the need to bring in ad revenue, there's a point where you have sold out.  Promoting voodoo medicine will get your thread locked and you banned in the forums,  but I don't suppose the mods/owners can ban themselves.

This takes the site's credibility pretty damn near zero and is a severe stain on it's reputation.

Remove the ads before you kill someone.  Sounds dramatic?  It ain't in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:53:24 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 07:01:06 pm »
Agreed.  It would be nice if the ads were temporarily taken down while a control was put in place to block certain types of ads.  I just clicked on an ad that was passing off some junk for treating hypertension, while another was telling me that God wants me well (and he wants me to buy some crap to lower my Cholesterol).  People do buy this stuff, otherwise why would those websites advertise.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 08:52:05 pm »
On the main aidsmeds.com page they indicate they "subscribe to the HONcode principles of the Health On the Net Foundation."

HON Code here: http://www.hon.ch/HONcode/Conduct.html

Principle #8 of the code states:

Operational definition for principle 8 - Advertising policy

Advertising policy

Whether or not advertising is a financial ressource of the site, an advertising policy must be plainly stated. All advertisements and any promotional, commercial or information in the form of articles, or display advertisements (banners or logos), will be clearly indicated and easily indentifiable as such, and distinguished from other information.

Advertising indicator

All advertising (including, but not limited to, pop-up windows and banners) should be identified with the word "Advertising" or similar identifying clearly the sponsor.  If banners are served from a free web hosting service or 'banner exchange', the webmaster must clearly state that the advertising banners are from the free Web host and are not endorsed by the site editor.

Essential Points:

-The site's policy with regard to advertising should be displayed.
        -Types of advertising not accepted, especially due to conflicts of interest, should be explained.
        -The policy statement should describe how the site distinguishes between editorial and advertising content.
        -Even if the site does not display advertisements, a clear statement should indicate that the site does not host or receive funding from  advertising or from the display of commercial content.

Since I can't see the ads myself (adblocking software is working I guess) I wonder if these ads meet this criteria?  Also, Ann indicated in one of the first few replys that they were working on removing these ads...so maybe they just need more time.

And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline joemutt

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 08:58:26 pm »
I dont have them, maybe because I'm not in th US (?)

Offline newt

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 08:59:04 pm »
...indicated in one of the first few replys that they were working on removing these ads...so maybe they just need more time.

Indication: 11 Jan
Now (in UK): 16 Jan

There's one for colloidal silver now... (good for old forlks, I am told).

What Dingo said about voodoo, very true

- matt

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 09:01:03 pm »
I didn'teven notice the ads until I read this thread.

Ditto and LOL

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 09:06:56 pm »
Wu-Long Tea...I wonder if that is for penis enlargement?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 11:46:49 pm »
LOL either that or wao-so long HEY I STILL DON'T SEE ANYTHING.... Do I have a special computer or something? ???  ???

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 03:28:15 am »
The ads I see are on the left hand side just underneath where it lists the people who are online.  Not sure why some people don't see them but I can't imagine an ad blocker removing them.  Still wondering why there has been no further update about this from the moderators yet.......
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 03:34:08 am »
tea advert, just seen (again)   ???

sort it out, people... really don't do much for the credibility of this website

kate

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 12:30:19 pm »
We had a management meeting this morning, and discussed the Google ads.  We agreed they were frequently showing lots of crapola, so we've decided to drop them.  There off the forums, and will be pulled from POZ.com soon.

In there place, is a vertical banner ad (which we have total control over).

Thanks for the input!

Peter

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 05:04:46 pm »
Ahh thats better!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2007, 05:12:26 pm »
He has spoken and you shall find the truth in his words!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2007, 06:45:09 pm »

I am glad to see them gone !!!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2007, 06:51:12 pm »
glad everyone's glad! "gone but not forgotten", or forgotten, because this whole thing went over my head ~~Whoosh!!~~

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »
thank you peter.   A site, especially like this, that some people DO look to as a lifeline, cannot take risks of endangering individuals health.

I have no problem with google ads in and of themselves... just so long as the crapola is blocked... not sure if that is even possible.   But I wouldn't mind seeing mens/womyns wear ads or lube ads or general product ads or vacation ads or whatever like that.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 09:20:58 pm »
Anything is possible Dingo, you live in Orlando and see it every day.

Peter, the Idea is a good one. However the responses are triggered here to make some adjustments that would fit with environment here. I'd keep the ads running but filter them where they are more displayed with a targeted approach.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.