Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 358
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: sleepless  (Read 6913 times)

Offline rolf

sleepless
« on: November 24, 2007, 12:47:17 am »
i am since weeks without a real deep sleep. every unusual noise wakes me up, even in the middle of the night. it came around when my cd4 felt under 200 and vl went up over 100.000. now i am so desperate that i take 1/2 valium every evening because i know that a long and deep sleep helps the body to coup with a lot of things and is needed to regenerate - and it seems to be better. the only concern is, as valium is a strong sedidative, the side effects it can have on the therapy (viread, lamivir, stocrin). any experiences out there?? what can i do, besides warm milk or warm beer to get a good night sleep???

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: sleepless
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:06:04 pm »
Hi Rolf,

as many others, you are sleep less mainly because of stress and anxiety.

Take control because all is in your mind. Think about it ;)

As long as you don't feel very bad, you are fine, simple like that.
A body is extremely resistant. It won't give up without you know, long time before.

Your doc might prescribe you tons of others drugs. Just find the right one.

Take care buddy, take control and relax ! And you will sleep well (we are all in the same boat).

Few video to relax

http://www.youtube.com/v/jfULvR2noaE&rel=1 (Inspirational)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH3OTssfllI (Funny)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEPX2GpoXY (Funny -Don’t miss the -2 : 46min, 5th min !! He sleeps less well than you.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo (Little Sparta)

[EDIT] Shorter  post ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 05:08:58 am by John2038 »

Offline bobino

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 06:23:18 pm »
Rolf,

Perhaps you could ask your doctor to prescribe trazodone.  It's an excellent sleeping aid, and I think you won't have to worry about addiction.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline bimazek

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:13:42 pm »
hiv causes the body and brain to not produce or not be able to use  tryptophan 

this is one of the big things that induce sleep naturally

i dont have time to find the links but go to google scholar and type

tryptophan    hiv

since hiv interfears with  tryptophan then you cannot sleep... this is of course if there are no other psychological problems going on..

wikipedia
due to its ability to increase brain levels of serotonin (a calming neurotransmitter when present in moderate levels)[14] and/or melatonin (a sleep-inducing hormone secreted by the pineal gland in response to darkness or low light levels).[15][16]

Clinical research tended to confirm tryptophan's effectiveness as a sleep aid[17][18][19] and for a growing variety of other conditions typically associated with low serotonin levels or activity in the brain[] and seasonal affective disorder.[22][23] In particular, tryptophan showed considerable promise as an antidepressant alone

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:20:34 pm »
Alright...that does it.  I'm also going to ask for my doc to prescribe me some of this.  I've been wondering what the hell is up with this sleep thing...if it was a meds related deal or from HIV itself.  I can be exhausted all dang day and still not be able to turn off at night.  Consequently, I've taken to self-medicating via personal sources.  I'm now gonna go see about getting some sleep aids all legitimate-like.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:39:10 pm »
I've not taken trazodone ever, and I've seen it mentioned many times here.  Of course, since I'm a known Stevie Nicks klonopin addict I guess I don't need anything else, but I'm still curious.  I know Miss Hunter will post an appropriately in depth review of this substance once it's obtained through legal channels.  I'm just wondering if I should throw off the benzo chains and switch to something else.

As far as bim's  tryptophan theory -- can't we just eat turkey?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:42:51 pm »
chamomile tea works pretty good.

Offline rolf

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:03:44 pm »
dear bimazek,

that was what i am waiting for. an informative reply with some background stuff, not some mambo jambo about:
 'you are sleepless mainly because of stress and anxiety. Take control because all is in your mind. Think about it . As long as you don't feel very bad, you are fine, simple like that. A body is extremely resistant. It won't give up without you know, long time before.'
openly spoken, i give a'fuck' about my condition.
i don't let it interfere with my life - and til now there are only little changes i've done in my lifestyle. and i think this is the best solution - keep on living like 'normal' people and don't let you suck down to:
'ohhh, i have AIDS, i will die soon, my life is shit...etc.' because this is what makes your mind crazy and let the sickness progress further.
i know i am positive since 2 years and i still go rough on me and my body (long working hours, a lot of stress and so on. the only thing i changed is my eating habit. i try to eat regulary and quite healthywhich wasn't the case before (no breakfast, fastfood once a day :) )
my experience is, even i have to take the meds now, a strong and flexible mind is the best success for a long life - with or without this condition. someone who cries around how bad life is will defenetly comes sooner and closer to the abyss than someone who embraces life with all its ups and downs to the fullest.

thanks for all your replies.

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 06:20:08 pm »
Long term Trazadone user here and it is a great sleep solution.  I struggled with sleep for years and tried almost every other sleeping meds out there and Traz works the best for me.   Half a Zanax now and then helps shut the head down when Traz is not quite enough. 
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 01:45:36 am »
I thought I was the only one suffering from this!!!!  I'm exausted, but when I try to sleep I just can't doze off. I'm up until 3am most nights it's horrible. I'm on trizivir and my numbers are great. I can't figure out what is causing my sleep issues. I wish I had some answers to help but I'm searching for them myself. I do want to say thanks to everyone for your input. Theres some great ideas here and at least I know I'm not alone on my quest for sleep ;)

Offline JDP3

• Gomez, are you miserable, my darling? Completely.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:29:46 am »
Miserable.  That's the best way I can describe this sleep disorder.  I fall asleep without a great deal of difficulty, but awake within an hour or so.  This has been going on for over a year now.  Klonopin, Lunesta, Zoloft, Xanax, Ambien CR, tea with Valerian, the green goddess MJ... none of these seem to work more than a couple of weeks.

I've been on a regimen of Sustiva, Videx and Zerit for over three years now and my VL is under 400 with a CD4 of around 375.  Not great, but acceptable.  I still take Xanax and Zoloft for anxiety and depression.  Trazodone has seemed like a last resort because I've always heard about the "wiped out" feeling it has given others.  Perhaps its time to try it as well.  At this point, I'm willing to try anything just to get some rest.
"There is no beginning.  There is no end.  There is only the infinite passion of life."   -Frederico Fellini

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 11:01:45 am »
Hello JPD

Sorry to hear about the sleep stuff

One thing, Zerit and Videx are not recommended used together, so if there is any other possible pair of nukes you can use, please talk to  your doc about this. Partly because they are both associated with mitochondrial toxicity -- ie affect energy production in your cells -- and together they affect it worse.

- matt

"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

BobF

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 04:09:21 pm »
I, too, have been suffering from an inability to sleep well ... or long enough.   It's driving me crazy, and I plan on talking to the Doc about it.   I'm on Atripla and a bunch of other stuff for other issues but the sleeplessness is relatively new in the last month or so  :-\

Offline hakeem

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 02:20:32 am »
Hello everyone. this is my first time here. i am have sleeping problem for 3 month,i dont sleep fast ,i wake up every hour,next day i feel i didnot sleep at all. i am on sustiva+truvada. my Doctor told me i have to change sustiva to Viramune. what u think guys?
thank you very much.
hakeem :'(

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:24:35 pm »
Well, I sometimes have sleeping issues as well (Truvada+Sustiva here). I can't find any reason for it, but sometimes, during a week or so I can´t fall asleep easily and sleep for 7 or 8 hours. Then thing go back to normal, eventually. When I can't handle it anymore or I want to sleep longer during the weekend I take Zolpidem, which I think in the States is sold under the name Ambien. It knocks me off in half an hour and makes me sleep for at least 7/8 hours.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.