Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:28:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 106
Total: 107

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Brother in denial about his condition  (Read 5983 times)

Offline srap7925

Brother in denial about his condition
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »
My older brother, 22, has recently been diagnosed with AIDS. He had been in and out of the hospital for the past few months feeling weak & sick. He's 6'3 and down to under 100 pounds.  He's living in denial about the entire situation, I know he's in shock, but he's pretending he doesn't have it. He was released from the hospital yesterday and that night went out to the bar with his friends. I thought this would have been a wake up call to change his life style, which consisted of drugs & drinking, but he's going right back to what brought him to this situation. He's barely telling me what the docter's have told him, what I was able to get from the docter's without getting to specific is that he has AIDS and chronic bacterial pneumonia.

I'm angry at him & not sure how to deal with the situation or help him.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Brother in denial about his condition
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:40 am »
He weighs less than 100 pounds, is 6 3, and has pneumonia? How on earth can he go out drinking? What do his friends think about this? Hes very sick.  Working? Studying? What does he do for money?  No mention of parents in your post.  Health care, a regular doctor?  Insurance? Country?  When did he get that AIDS diagnosis?

Post more info please.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:05:51 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »
mecch,
Try not to be angry with him.  People deal with things in differant ways, and if he is not willing to take responsibility for his health, there is not much you can do.  I realize it isn't fair or does it make any sense, but anger will only put a wedge between you guys, and it sounds like you care about him a lot, hide the anger and be there for him.  If he has any friends that are also positive, talk to them and see if they can't get through to him.  He may not be talking to you because he thinks he is protecting you, let him know you want to discuss it when he is ready and talk openly and honestly with him.

Offline srap7925

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:00:49 pm »
He had just recently gotten a job but is now out on medical leave. He doesn't go to school or anything at all. I work full-time & go to school full-time so its hard for me to see him & find out information. Are parent's are not around at all it's just me & my brothers. He hasn't gotten any meds because he just doesn't want too. I told him if it was an issue with money I would do what i could to help him since he doesn't have insurance. I dont know if there is any way to get him on mine? Is there a way I could pull that since I have a great healthplan? I just honestly don't know what to expect. He's not taking it seriously at all. I'm also at a loss since he is refusing to contact any one he has had sex with & let them know. He was just very recently diagnosed & is still very sick, but I feel like it something he needs to do.

Offline Stone

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:34:29 am »
You don't indicate if you are in the US or another country but if you are in the US and your other family members share your concern, there is a possibility that you can pursue a chemical dependency commital.  From your post you don't have grounds for an emergency hold (Must be an imminent risk to themself others or property and drinking / using drugs doesn't meet this standard) but you certainly have grounds for a 30 day commital to a health care facility.  I am not going to lie, it gets pretty ugly sometimes, but what you do is contact your county social service agency and they can walk you through it.  If your county doesn't offer this service, contact any chemical dependency counselor or your assistant attorney general and they can explain the process and help you through it.  All states are different but basically you just need to prove that his alcohol and drug usage are adversly affecting his health and he will not stop without intervention. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 05:23:30 am »
What country are you in?
You are supporting him financially? paying his rent and food etc.?
6 3 and less than 100 lb, and pneumonia.  it really is a crsis, you are correct to be worried.
What do you want to hear?  You want to sit down and have a serious if brief conversation and hear what? He tells you he has AIDS? He tells you he is taking tri-therapy and folllowing his doctors advice?  He wants to get his health back?   I think those are the three things you have a right to hear.

All the rest isn't very important for the immediate moment.  You don't need to worry about his partners or what he does with his time, for instance.  

So try to get answers to those questions - maybe get a relative involved or someone he trusts and respects. Or go to a social worker.  He doesn't respect himself or you.  

Finally, however, you don't need to enable his dysfunction - if you don't get that he is trying to help himself, you can send him on his way, painful as that is.  Sounds like a tough situation but pushed against a wall and made to communicate he might give some more details and ask for some help.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:33:34 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline onemoretime

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:21:40 pm »
from the sound of it he really does not care about hiv,  it sounds like he is on a drug induced death wish.   He is very sick and totally in denial.   this kid wants to it to end..  i mean the bondage of addiciton that he is suffering.  HIV AIDS is probably 2nd in his mind.  I agree in intervention is needed like the show does.    under 100 # 6.2  wow.    good luck with this.. i am thinking of ya
08/04 diag 490 cd4 vl 50,000
10/25/05 436 50,513 hvb 1.1 billion
12/13/05 truvada sustiva
02/16/06 742 und, hpb 63,000
04/27/06 740 und hpb 60,000
01/05/07 458 und hvb und
03/08   470 undetectable still on atripla. Non smoking (chantex)
08/08 cd4 550 undetectable hiv, Hep B UND. Atripla
06/09  cd4 444, vl undetectable testo 130
09/09/09 CD4 687 46% UND  Testo 213 started androgel
10/12/09 cd4 682 46% und testo 597
01/12/10 cd4 842 48% und testo 434
041010 cd4 693  53% testo 492
100410 cd4 568 48% testo 523
012711 cd4 523 hcv 56 testo 596
083011 cd4 280 Hcv/HIV und
042912 cd4 158 hcv /hiv und, was on hep c for 11 months. do have ssdi filed and getting LTD
061912 cd4 151, bactrum, hep c and hiv und
071712 cd4 287 52% HIV HCV und
112012 cd4 520

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.