Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:57:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 172
Total: 172

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Skipping meds one day isn't going to kill me  (Read 13198 times)

Dan J.

Skipping meds one day isn't going to kill me
« on: August 24, 2007, 01:55:43 pm »
I want the day off from HIV. sorry meds your staying in the bottles. I'm just not interested in taking them today. One day won't kill me. I might take them tomorrow, maybe not. I'm getting tired of all this everyday.
I'm going back to bed with the covers over my head...

See ya later

Dan

Offline ademas

Re: Skipping meds one day isn't going to kill me
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:02:53 pm »
You're probably right, but probably ain't good enough for me.

I have this weird thought process that kicks in when I'm even a little late taking my meds, like I can imagine the virus replicating and mutating in me.  It freaks me out enough to keep me in line.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:15 pm »
Dan, I wouldn't really want to make a habit. The amount of time it took you to type and send this post you could have downed your meds.  ;)

Dan J.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 02:36:22 pm »
I know that, but today Dan doesn't give a shit.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:39 pm »
Dan, just get up and take the damn things.  Is your stomach upset or something or are you just mentally "over" it all?  I sometimes contemplate just not taking them for a day but I rarely have ever just skipped a day or a dose intentionally.

If it's just a mental thing my suspicion would be that you may decide to skip more than one day, which concerns me and you know we all care deeply for your well being here.

So, I offer this encouragement:  TAKE THE PILLS FOR LIZ FRASER
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:49:20 pm »

If it's just a mental thing my suspicion would be that you may decide to skip more than one day, which concerns me and you know we all care deeply for your well being here.

Ditto

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:53:15 pm »
Dan, I enjoy reading your comments and remarks.. but, even I can relate to skipping my meds and sometimes I just want to put the covers over my head... but, reality hits! I want to see tommarrow... the next day and next week... so I just keep moving. I asked my grandmother how she lived to be 107 shes now been deceased 10 years... she said you get up and keep moving... whether you feel like it or not... I think that advice she gave me keeps me going... even in the darkess moments... thinking of you.. John

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:14:47 pm »
Does anyone besides me see the relationship to gay men and having safe sex inherent in this topic?  ???
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »
Dan,

I won't make a long post out of this. 3 words: Take your meds.

Then go to bed, do whatever you want, and we can discuss this tomorrow.

Milker (who cares).
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 04:33:01 pm »
Does anyone besides me see the relationship to gay men and having safe sex inherent in this topic?  ???

huh??? i dont see the relationship
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 04:39:15 pm »

actually no, I don't

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 04:44:09 pm »

I'm reaching here - but the only even somewhat distant correlation I can make is in regards to being tired of always putting a condom on?

Dan J.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:01 pm »

Marc, 

FYI- I am in a monogamous relationship with an HIV+ man I love very much & I take great offense to your insensitive remark directed toward me. Back off.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 06:14:33 pm »

This has nothing to do with raw butt-fucking. It's about chronic depression, which is a common enough issue here on the boards.

I can sympathize, Dan, but urge you to keep on keeping on.

Brent
(Who suffers from depression himself)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 08:13:48 pm »
Good Lord!  Does everything come down to raw ass fucking????  Jesus Jumping Christ, the dude is just having a bad day and does not want to take his meds today.  I think we all have days where we would rather not think about it.  Not EVERYTHING is related to raw ass fucking. 

Dan, I know the feeling, but I do hope you took a second to take the pills.  Then, do what ya got to do.  I have spent a few days in bed with the covers over my head too .... nothing wrong with that.  Take care!
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »
One day won't kill me.

No, but losing you would kill me and many more!  Take your meds tomorrow morning, and I will see you in a few short weeks!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:27 pm »
Can someone explain this raw ass sex thing to me?  I don't get it.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:37 pm »
I want the day off from HIV. sorry meds your staying in the bottles. I'm just not interested in taking them today. One day won't kill me. I might take them tomorrow, maybe not. I'm getting tired of all this everyday.
I'm going back to bed with the covers over my head...

See ya later

Dan

I get that a lot.
Those are the days I am late for work...I hit the snooze a few times before throwing the alarm clock on the floor.  Then I get up grab the bottle of water and a Videx next to my bed, go to the bathroom and stare at  myself in the mirror.  Sometimes I try to lighten things up by making faces in the mirror and it usually makes me laugh or say to may self "just take your candy little boy"..other times I just scream at mirror and curse the heaves for feeling like shit, sometimes I cry and sometimes I just stand there, naked with a bottle of water in one hand and a Videx in the other.
I always end up taking the Videx, after all, I'm already up, so what the fuck...let another day begin.

Hope you feel better soon
BIG HUGS

Rich

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 09:07:15 pm »
Can someone explain this raw ass sex thing to me?  I don't get it.

I don't buy the fractured logic, but I believe that the poster meant to say this:

People, and gay men in particular, are apt to become self-destructive when depressed. The more they are depresssed, the deeper into risky, self-abusive behavior patterns they plunge into. If one is eventually depressed enough, then they might even resort to that riskiest of all actions, unprotected sex.

As we all know, no reasonable, rational thinking person who is concerned about his health would ever do anything so fool-hardy as to engage in unprotected sex.

I may be off-whack, though. That's just my presumption of the inference.

Brent
(Who has been known to be wrong)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Dan J.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 09:30:01 pm »
I get that a lot.
Those are the days I am late for work...I hit the snooze a few times before throwing the alarm clock on the floor.  Then I get up grab the bottle of water and a Videx next to my bed, go to the bathroom and stare at  myself in the mirror.  Sometimes I try to lighten things up by making faces in the mirror and it usually makes me laugh or say to may self "just take your candy little boy"..other times I just scream at mirror and curse the heaves for feeling like shit, sometimes I cry and sometimes I just stand there, naked with a bottle of water in one hand and a Videx in the other.
I always end up taking the Videx, after all, I'm already up, so what the fuck...let another day begin.

Hope you feel better soon
BIG HUGS

RICH

I woke up today  & I could just feel the super massive black hole of depression come over me for some unknown reason. When I fell like this I get mad @ myself for being in the situation that I put myself in 20+ years ago. I've tried for many years to forgive myself, but I just can't seem to do that. I think about what I lost: My career, & personal independence from having to rely on help from my parents just to make it through the month to meet my obligations & the shit they throw at me for not being able to do that. Nothing upsets me more than having to rely on the whims of their "goodwill with stipulations" When I do everything I can to keep the cost of me living from day to day at a bare minimum. I missed my AM dose, but I took the second one after dinner. I don't feel any better, but at least I took the damn pills.  The only person that makes me feel better is 6000 miles away & I need him now. He has this way of making me see things differently. I would call him , but it's 3:25 Am in Belgium.  He will call me Saturday.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 09:34:30 pm »
Dan,

I won't say I've been there as for many of the things you describe I have been fortunate enough not to...yet, but I have been in darkness and that I know all too well.

I'm glad you did just take the damn pills and didn't let your feelings about things change what you know you need to do.

I'm sorry you are feeling so down right now and I hope Saturday morning comes soon enough for you so that you can  speak with your beloved.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 09:36:26 pm »
Baby, I have nothing to say, but this: I love you! That's it...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 11:26:48 pm »
Dan,

I hope you have a brighter day tomorrow.

I completely understand what you are talking about; it's something I have dealt with a lot this year.   The depression and being "sick" work together to form a vicious cycle....you get depressed, your body feels sick, that makes you MORE depressed, and so on.

I was feeling real low the other day; popped "Paper Moon" into the DVD player, it can always make me laugh.   I prescribe a good comedy !

Love you,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 06:17:20 am »
Dan,
Good for you! And shame on everyone telling you what to do.

What's the big deal missing one day of MEDS? Nothing. It's what Dan chose to do. So the fuck what.
I have been taking drugs for 23 years now.

If I had a dollar for each time i missed a dose, I'd be wealthy.

Hmmmmmm. Guess what all of you geniuses that get freaked out because Dan missed ONE Day of meds.????

WE are both sill here.

So take a valium, or whatever, and relax. Don't y'all have other things to worry about???
Positive since 1985

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 09:09:33 am »
Morning Dan,

How are you feeling today? 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 10:07:58 am »
I'm wondering how Dan is doing myself....
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 10:31:47 am »
Nuttin' to worry about, he's got his priest calendar to keep him occupied.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:37:40 am by Dachshund »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 10:43:33 am »
Dan, sometimes we have to keep doing this for the man in our life..

Steer clear of stepping in that same hole.  I know you know what it looks like.  Step around it if you can honey..

Hugs,

Eric

Dan J.

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 11:21:40 am »
I'm OK. I've got 2 puppes in my lap giving me sweet kisses so that's good.  There is nothing better to chase the blues away than from a fur babies unconditional love.This long distance relationship thing sure is hard on a middle aged queen.  18 days & I will see Hermie!Yesterday I recieved a very nice card from a forum member thanking me for sending them a bottle of Kaletra. That made put a big smile on my face when I opened the mailbox! .  You know who you are, THANK YOU!

The job search isn't going all that great. That's gotten me down some, but I'm going to keep on keepin on'.

I'm gonna call my "huzbund" & get phone smootches, ain't nutin' mo betta than that!!!

I Love you all very, very much!

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 07:25:12 pm »
Okay, before everyone gets the baseball bats out after me, what I am trying to illustrate here is that at a certain point, we become "tired". Tired of people preaching the safer-sex mantra, tired of being told, take our meds, etc...

Dan I assure you that in no way was I directing any of my statement at you but instead about how we need to find ways to get beyond thinking about doing and instead just doing. Further more, who's talking about raw ass-fucking? I'm talking about TALKING about it so much but not doing it.

If I was to make any point from my post it is that we need to find ways to continue the positive behaviors as well as continue to encourage these positive behaviors in such a way as to make them no longer tiresome or conscious. To make the thought of them secondary to the action.

I believe that we are placing way too much value on our thought about something and way to little on our actions.

That being said, I'll readily admit that there have been days when I have had the same thoughts and have also acted upon them as is noted in another thread here on the aidsmeds forum.

<deep breaths>

As Jeffreyj said, "...take a valium, or whatever, and relax."
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 07:36:31 pm »

Nope, but I can guess where you're going with this...

8)  -megasept

Offline mudman8

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 08:07:30 pm »
if I miss a dose it's in the morning and it's one pill. but at night if I head to bed and I remember it's on my mind and won't let me sleep until I get up and take the damn thing.....

It's our own life we deal with, whether we reach perfection isn't reality. Try your best.

I had a lover that always used to point out that his grandfather lived to 95 and died in his sleep. Like that was somehow perfection. And the guy could have been a jerk, I don't know. Dieing early  doesn't mean you failed. My ex died at about 49 and he was a jerk to me which is why I left him, I'm 53 does that mean I'm more sucessful? I try to be as nice as possible and do my best. These days tho I have to lower the bar physically but I feel I have more compassion for others after what I've been thru. He didn't have that.

am I rambling? making sense? Oh shut me up.....
Life is analog

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 12:00:07 am »
Okay, before everyone gets the baseball bats out after me, what I am trying to illustrate here is that at a certain point, we become "tired". *snip*

I believe that we are placing way too much value on our thought about something and way to little on our actions.

Mentally "tired", emotionally "tired" ... Yeah. We have emotions associated with the whoel meds experience

Using my imagination, emotions might be

e.g.

"Dam - I'll have nausea in a few hours."

"Shit, 10 years ago I didn't have to take these when I was HIV negative."
(Actually, this one's sort of been my personal "tune" lately LOL)

"Thank goodness I have these pills. I won't die now!"
(This one was me back in 2005 when I started meds)

or just plain

"Ughh, you again."
(This one would be akin to the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt", sort of like having and seeing the same ratty old couch for 20 years)

And the list goes on and on. So, emotions can make us tired. And I guess your point is "Less thinking, more doing" would be the ideal.

It probably would be the ideal.

If so, how do we get there? I would love to separate my emotions from taking meds and just have it be mechanical - but I don't know how

Oh, and to Dan, stay strong and do the right thing...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:45:15 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 12:56:51 am »
Dan:  I'm glad you're doing better today, and I'll see you in a few weeks! No worries if you are holed up in your hotel room for a while, though!

Jeffreyj:  I am guilty of telling Dan what to do, but I did so because I care about him, like everyone else who posted including you, Mate.  Firsthand, I don't have experience taking HIV meds, but  I do take 7 pills daily for other conditions, and I know when I miss a dose because my guts remind me. I don't want anything sneaking up on Dan! And that boils down to another day of not taking meds, then another...It seems that most of us have verged the black mass called depression, and some of us get bogged down while others of us dance along the edge...

I just ordered him to do what I think is best because I'm selfish and I want to keep him around!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:59:20 am by Basquo »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 01:30:07 am »
"Dam - I'll have nausea in a few hours."
- - -
"Ughh, you again."
(This one would be akin to the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt"...
- - -
Oh, and to Dan, stay strong and do the right thing...

Boy, can I sympathize with you Dan. I used to barf every day from the meds I was taking. After a while, it even became a psychological problem. Touching the pills, or sometimes just thinking about them, and I'd be heaving. It wasn't a pretty time.

My meds are better now; but I still barf about once a week from the stupid meds. (But it ain't EVERY day, so I try to take some solace in that). Because I'm never quite certain which days my body and the meds are going to play nicely, I've been know to skip a few doses here and there. I used to have a terrible compliance problem when the side-effects of the meds affected me more, so I only feel a little guilty when I skip a dose a month.

I mean, it's hard to feel guilty when I've skipped the dose so I don't barf on a trip to the amusement park. Recently on a trip home for my Grandmother's 90th birthday, I tried to be a good boy and take the meds every day while out of my regular routine. I ended up barfing right after the birthday luncheon. ::) Go figure.
Damned if I do; damned if I don't.

However there is the part of me that just hates myself when I miss those dosages. Whenever I gone "uncompliant" for a short time, my VL has gone off the charts and I've gotten really sick (much more than just barfing every once in a while  >:( )

Can I advocate that you skip your meds once in a while like I do? Heck no! Should I be doing it? Of course not! But I can understand how you feel. The only real advice I can honestly tell you (cause it's what I tell myself) is if you do skip a dose, try harder next time you feel the urge and take the meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 08:57:21 am »
glad to hear you took the 2nd dose.
i sometimes don't get dressed or wash my face for the whole day, or leave the house, so i know what you mean. i just wanna log off for a while.

i am unable to work and things are accumulating. i so often feel like just giving up, why bother?

i do throw up a lot but not when i take the drugs. i am sure it's related b/c i didn't before. i even threw up right before dinner in tigger's house. i definately regard them as toxins but at the same time can't stop taking them, so i just do, and each day is pretty similar...

i just have to ask did you ever contemplate moving to europe? i don't know about belgium but if it's like the netherlands gay marriage/civil partnership is legal there and you could get all the rights and an eventual citizenship.

i am sure you have considered it i am just wondering. long distance relationship is my personal horror and i will do anything not to undergo that with my BF, who is spanish.

and btw, he really appreciated the priest calender, i got him the 2007 one when i was in italy last year and its hanging in his office.

Love is most probably the only effective painkiller...
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 09:15:16 am »

Matty the Damned can assure everyone that love is a shithouse painkiller. He can say, without fear of contradiction, that fentanyl is the most effective painkiller.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 11:09:48 am »
I can buy fentanyl on the street a few blocks from my house I'm quite sure.

Dan J.

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 12:41:23 pm »
I can buy fentanyl on the street a few blocks from my house I'm quite sure.

I have never "done" one, but Fentanyl "lollipops" are very popular around Jackson.
Okay, before everyone gets the baseball bats out after me, what I am trying to illustrate here is that at a certain point, we become "tired". Tired of people preaching the safer-sex mantra, tired of being told, take our meds, etc...

Dan I assure you that in no way was I directing any of my statement at you but instead about how we need to find ways to get beyond thinking about doing and instead just doing. Further more, who's talking about raw ass-fucking? I'm talking about TALKING about it so much but not doing it.

If I was to make any point from my post it is that we need to find ways to continue the positive behaviors as well as continue to encourage these positive behaviors in such a way as to make them no longer tiresome or conscious. To make the thought of them secondary to the action.

That being said, I'll readily admit that there have been days when I have had the same thoughts and have also acted upon them as is noted in another thread here on the aidsmeds forum.

<deep breaths>

As Jeffreyj said, "...take a valium, or whatever, and relax."

Thank you Marc.   I get what your saying now.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 01:04:04 pm »
I have never "done" one, but Fentanyl "lollipops" are very popular around Jackson.

It's mixed with heroin here I think and called something else, and every once in a while they find people in fetal positions dead right on the sidewalk.

Dan J.

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2007, 01:26:17 pm »

Manufacturer's spokeswoman: "Like any
opioid, there is a potential for misuse."

http://opioids.com/fentanyl/perc-a-pop.html

Source: CNN
Date: 27 April 2004
Lollipop drug hitting the streets

HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania -- A narcotic painkiller that looks like a lollipop -- designed to speed relief to cancer patients -- is starting to show up in illegal sales with the nickname "perc-a-pop."

The drug's ease of use and sweet taste have law enforcement officials worried about the potential for abuse. Actiq, a berry-flavored lozenge on a stick, contains the synthetic opioid fentanyl.

"We're starting to see it emerge as a drug that is, as we call it, 'diverted,' which is a legally prescribed drug being used illegally," said Kevin Harley, spokesman for state Attorney General Jerry Pappert.

"It's a drug that is easily administered or taken by somebody who might be afraid to either take a pill, snort or inject a needle in their arm."

The attractive taste -- described by the manufacturer as a "mild berry flavor" -- makes abuse more likely, he added. Harley said each Actiq lozenge retails for $9.10. The street value of a perc-a-pop is $20.

"We started seeing them in Philly, and that's where we understand the nickname came from," he said.

Manufactured by Cephalon Inc., Actiq's active ingredient is absorbed by rubbing the lozenge against the inside of the cheek.

It is approved by the Food and Drug Administration to combat "breakthrough pain," flare-ups suffered by cancer patients who are already taking narcotics in more conventional liquid or pill form to cope with chronic pain.

"Like any opioid, there is a potential for misuse," said company spokeswoman Stacey Backhardt. She said the company believes, however, "there has not been a substantial diversion of this product in the state or elsewhere."

Fentanyl was first introduced as an intravenous anesthetic called Sublimaze in the 1960s. Besides being taken orally, it is also dispensed as a transdermal patch under the trade name Duragesic.

Hospitals in the lower 48 states reported 576 incidents of non-medical use of fentanyl products in 2000; the number rose to 1,506 by 2002, said Leah R. Young, spokeswoman for the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:27:53 pm by Dan J. »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:51 pm »
tee hee... they even reference this drug den city where I live.

Dan J.

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 01:56:23 pm »
Yeah, I thought you would get a kick out of reading that.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 01:56:55 pm »
i definately regard them as toxins but at the same time can't stop taking them, so i just do, and each day is pretty similar...
- - -
i whole heartedly agree with both these points! ;D

The meds are toxic but are killing off the virus more than me, so I swallow them down. ::)

And love is the best! :-*
See the chart in my sig? See where the graph turns good these past three yrs? Ah, that's when I fell in love! And for all I gripe about being sick, I'm still the luckiest guy in the world. I haven't had just one perfect mate; but two! I still miss my Randy; but so glad to be with my Jim. :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.