Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:38:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773170
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 267
Total: 268

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What Do Drug And Oil Companies Have In Common ?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
What Do Drug And Oil Companies Have In Common ?
« on: June 23, 2006, 08:10:20 pm »
Does anyone else notice how similar the oil commercials are to the drug commercials? For those outside the US, they go on about ways they are trying not to have you use their product, as they know you have to.
Maybe the could save the money  on those  ads and cut cost on their products.
Cheers
Johnny- who never slept with an oil rigger or a pusher
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: What Do Drug And Oil Companies Have In Common ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:17:52 pm »
Hey Johnny,

Long time no post.  Good to see you back.  Actually, most drug companies spend more on marketing their drugs than they do for R&D.  Drug prices could probably fall by 40% if they'd stop wasting all that money.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 08:19:08 pm »
Oh! Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this one... they're both in the top five largest industries in the world. In fact, I think pharma is number one and oil number two, but I'd have to go look that up and I can't be bothered right now. Maybe they use the same top ranking advertising agencies.

Something else they have in common besides adverts and industry rankings... They both have oodles and oodles of politicians in their pockets and in their beds.

I could go on but I think I better shut up now and go to bed like a good little virally enhanced person.

Ann

And what Joe said too. Pisses me off no end! The marketing thing, not Joe!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:37 pm »
Hi there Ann and Joe, Joe if you catch other ads on PBS be sure to pay attention to Boeing. You would think that that they would think of something better than show off al this war tech , including spy satelites. I want to know if Boeing spy ware is so great how come they didn't work over Iraq? While trying to find the link I found this instead, rather repugnant no-
Boeing Ethics Line: 1-888-970-7171.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 03:48:10 am »
Oil companies only make those stupid, feel good commercials cause that's what the people want to see.  So it's probably the people that should be blamed and not the corporations.  Everyone loves to use oil and yet everyone hates oil (same with drugs).  So companies make those feel good commercials to help you feel good about using a product that you simultaneously hate.  The real solution is to just stop using oil (or cut back).  But that's too much to ask, so here we are.

Advertising increases revenues.  If it didn't companies wouldn't use it.  Because of that, if you stop advertising you don't necessarily lower drug prices (or oil prices), you simply lower revenues.  And some would argue that would actually increase prices, as companies would have less units to recover their other costs and would need to hike prices on the remaining unites purchased by consumers to do so.  I believe advertising is probably price-neutral.

Offline dario

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 06:25:23 am »
The answer is: greed and profit making.  In a way they are like vampires ...

The sad thing is that we need them!  Our life would be impossible without electricity and we would die without the medicines. 

I wish we could be closer to nature ... I mean that we do not need these complications.  But I guess that in the natural state only the strong survive and the weakly sick just die.  I wonder if friendly vampires exist.
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 07:07:04 am »
Hurrah!
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 08:37:29 am »
Cliff you haven't been in the USA for a while lol.  These commercials ( the oil ones are almost all on PBS) are made because people are questioning the profits of both industries. Having seen the Chevron commercial, unlike the Beck's I am not jonesing for a quart. Both ads must come from the same agency, and like the MTA ads here are just plain insulting.  For you non NY'ers the subways are run by the MTA- for us it is as much part of us as our legs no need to advertise.
The drug ads ( I forgot which company) ,a so called researcher ( read actor) says how the best way to cure a disease is prevention. What we hiv'ers only know,

What is even funnier is PBS had a show tying BP with a lot of the problems in Central Asia with the pipeline, as well as a show on how oil companies with the gov't are getting over on the American taxpayer.

On another note  I think Ford is now offering to buy your gas for a year.  While I don't know the percentages, I see at least 15 car commercials in the morning as I surf the news. Basically in an hour. Next is a drug commercial usually for some allergy pill.
While ads might serve a purpose I think these are partially to make the companies themselves feel good and to offset their profits.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 08:39:29 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline BB

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
My money, that's what!

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.