Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 461
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: educational information  (Read 7471 times)

Offline TheHoustonAviator

• Standard
educational information
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:36:14 am »
Friends,

On Nov 15th 2011 I was on an overnight inwhich I had a sexual encounter with a fellow coworker, to be specific a flight attendant. Long story short we touched each other, basically a handjob while I was fingering her, sorry to be so graphic. It was Devine intervention that we did not have intercourse.

As soon as I got home I confessed to my wife of 3 years. I obviously felt horrible about the situation and immediately went to my family doctor. I explained to him in detail of the event, told him my concerns and asked his advice.

My doctor decided to run full panel labs and test for everything, this was week 1.

About a week after the incident, I felt irritated when I would urinate, decided to go back to my doctor. He decided to run labs again and to take a urine sample to send to labs as well. Doctor placed me on cepro and had me follow up with urineologiest. This was week 2.

Urineologist ran all tests and even cultured my penis, all negative. After explaining this situation, he explained that my encounter was nearly zero chance of contracting HIV and that this was primarily guilt driven. That was week 3.

At about this time I was starting to let this get in my head, very type A personality. I started to quit working out, stopped eating, stopped sleeping, like my life completely stopped.

At this time I wasn't really experiencing anything like ARS or sickness, just more psychosomatics with my penis, became obsessed with the fact that I was having issues.

Finally by week 4 I hadn't slept, probably about 4 days and my appetite was gone. Luckily I had removed myself from flight status and decided to needed rest and peace of mind. I had noticed a white coat on my tongue but by this time
My nutrition was so wack that the doctor had zero concern. My doctor decided to put me on ambien CR and recommend I see a therapist. At week four he ran another full panel blood test and again everything under the sun was negative.

By this time I had ran my family through the ringer, I refused to sleep with my wife, only twice since nov 15th, I was convinced I was sick and wouldn't listen to any doctors.

At week 5 I demanded another full panel, again all levels normal and negative HIV. Started to notice weight loss and soft stool, still coated white tongue. All the doctors said it would be damn near impossible to be sick and tried to convince me I would be a modern medicine miracle if contracted this way.

At week 7 I decided to take a a rapid test, mainly because my family doctor was def irritated with me, went to a clinic, again negative. I explained the story to them and they said same as other doctors, pretty impossible.

Here I am at 53 days post event. Yesterday I convinced my doctor to order the western blot test. I did go seek professional counseling and listened to similar stories of other professionals seeking similar reassurance and peace of mind.

I've read all the forums, I've listen to experts, I've listen to family, now I'm ready to LISTEN to this medium.

People don't understand this disease or the people affected by it until they are faced with similar circumstances. I feel horrible that I placed my family and my life in jeopardy. I'm sorry I feel so compelled about this, I just feel life my doctors could be WAY niave and over optimistic, especially my wife and family. The last thing I want would be to infect my wife!

Call me paranoid

Coated tongue
sore neck and throat
Def feel my skin in a whole is drier
Lose stool
haven't really experienced a rash, def felt flushed skin with irritation
Haven't had a fever, I literally check about 3 times a day.

Doctor says these are all in my head and probably the ambien cr.

Just in my basic research I've noticed that people with awesome immune systems would start to produce the protein shortly after infection?

I wanted to share my story and get the input from the people that know deal with this daily. I will keep this thread updated and pass along any additional updates. Prior to this I was tested about every 6 months, prior military as well. Thanks for your help and hopefully a cure is on the way!

Take Care
THA

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Pilot Makes Mistake
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:46:44 am »
Houston, you have absolutely no basis in HIV science to be concerned about HIV. Nothing you did put you at risk for the virus.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. That's it.

There's really nothing more to say about the situation in terms of HIV. Further testing is totally unnecesarry.

You seem to understand that this is largely about guilt and other feelings for having strayed. We can't help you with that. See a therapist or other professional to deal with that aspect of the situation if you need to.

Again, this is absolutely not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:53 am »
AV,

I appreciate the quick response, I'm trying to stay logical about things, especially considering there are real people out there with real concerns. I think as you have stated it's primarily guilt, which can be very powerful in some people. It's amazing how irrational something like this can make rational people question experts. I do recall having a slight papercut from 2 days earlier, but we both know how unlikely that would transfer the virus. I appreciate this service this forum provides and I will try my damnedest to move on from this event.

Thanks AV
THA

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:22:54 pm »
You're welcome.

Get on with your life. That's best for all concerned.
Andy Velez

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »
Update...

Paranoid=Yes
Concerned=Yes
7.5 week Rapid=Neg

I wont dragged this out like most seem to do. I'll post my Western Blot results hopefully by Friday.

Thanks for your responses Mods!

THA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:35:03 pm »
Houston...

...we do NOT have a problem... other than the time and money you wasted on unnecessary testing, particularly the WB test you talked your doctor into giving you.

Not only did you NOT have a risk, but the WB is only meant to be used to confirm a positive antibody test. They're not meant to be used as a stand-alone test.

You do not need further testing. You are conclusively hiv negative. There is no need to post the result of your WB test. We already know it will be negative.

You do NOT have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »
Ann,

Wish I had the opportunity to talk face to face, its hard to relay emotions on computers and forums. The mind is a powerful thing, my personality has been responsible for a majority of my success, outside of God. This same personality can break me down, if I let it.

Please don't take my story or situation the wrong way, I don't want to waste time, money, compassion, emotions, resources, ect.

My doctor was def against me getting the Western Blot. My biggest concern would be to make my wife sick or cause anymore problems that I already havent manifested.

I can tell you with 100% accuracy that I was clean and Neg before the event of Nov 15th. I guess in my heart of hearts I realize I'm more than likely Neg but its the "dumbass/hardass" side of me that I need to convince :)

All I can really say to people who can relate to this side of the fence; hang in there, rely on your family and friends, and try your hardest to take in what these Mods and experienced people tell you. This is not easy, I don't think it was intended to be easy.

Cheers,
THA

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »
You surely do make things way more complicated than they need to be. At least in this case you have.

A face to face is unnecessary because it's quite clear just how unrelenting you are in accepting the science of HIV, about which you know or care so little. And your intention may not have been to waste time, money, resources, etc., but you have done so on all counts.

We're done here. There's no HIV problem and we've done whatever we can do for you in this setting. We're not going to indulge you any further in this rampant display of narcissism on your part.

On your way and don't bother us with this matter any further or you will very quickly find yourself getting a Time Out. In case I haven't made it clear enough, HIV is not your problem.
Andy Velez

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »
AV,

I don't think a timeout is warranted in this thread, I have read the rules. I've seen the hasty response to worried people more times than I can count here, which I don't blame the forum or the mods. I've stated my concerns/actions and you have stated your opinions, fair enough. I encourage people to continue to ask questions, without education on the subject there is not point. I would be the first to admit my knowledge is limited to google and what this forum provides. Thanks for clarifying my risk and If by same random chance I do come back positive, be assured you will be the first to Know!

Take Care AV,

THA

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »
Well...Doctor calls me this morning, said he needed me to come in to discuss my western blot.

I go end with shaken confidence, I know the mods think I'm zero risk and will not be surprised in my results but here it goes.

Western Blot, nothing, not even a cold the docs says.

I'm obviously thankful to God and my family, I have a lot of relationships to repair going forward, mainly with my wife and my guilt.

The doctor tells me to get on with life, it's too short and wayyyyy to many things worse than HIV. Tells me to start jving normal relations again with my wife?

Like many before me, I have a bad case of guilt and hard to believe anyone except myself...

I'll test again at 12 weeks for the conclusive results.

Thanks again to the mods and the creation of this forum, the moderators take this place for granted, it's not their fault they are numb to people's over reactions, lol!

Take care
THA

I'll test again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »
Houston,

You are conclusively hiv negative.

You can drag this out further if you want to, but you certainly do not need to.

You do not have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »
Ann and Mods and others,

I'm encouraged with your confidence, probably more inspired with your normalcy considering what you probably deal with on a daily basis. Tell me, although not the appropriate thread, can you physically feel good once you have this illness under diagnosed and treated?

Sure seems like I'm unsure of myself huh? Like others, most likely dealing with something not even remotely close to HIV. So seriously, can you feel good at times?

Patience with me please...

In confidence, well sorta...
THA

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:47 pm »
What is it that you can't seem to comprehend? You never had an exposure nor did you need testing. Now move along.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »
Ann and Mods and others,

I'm encouraged with your confidence, probably more inspired with your normalcy considering what you probably deal with on a daily basis. Tell me, although not the appropriate thread, can you physically feel good once you have this illness under diagnosed and treated?

Sure seems like I'm unsure of myself huh? Like others, most likely dealing with something not even remotely close to HIV. So seriously, can you feel good at times?

Patience with me please...

In confidence, well sorta...
THA

People diagnosed today, with insurance/finances to cover treatment, stand a rather large chance of never experiencing any more health issues than anyone else their age/gender.

Even those of us who have had AIDS for decades can, in many cases, find treatment regimen that works, and live whatever passes for a normal life in this world.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:52 pm »
Enough is enough. At least for the next 28 days you are not going to be permitted to waste any more of our time. You now have a Time Out.

Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new account. We'll spot that right off and it will get you banned permanently.

HIV is not your problem. Period. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:59:40 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:46:08 pm »
AV and Mods,

Well like most other posters, I admit I needed a time out. I would be lying if I said I still didnt have concerns but I'm trying to find confidence in modern medicine. Here's how the last 7 weeks have been...

I continued to test through week 13, all negative. At week 8 I took the DNA/RNA qual real time for HIV 1, negative. Week 14 I took another DNA for HIV 1 and 2, negative. I visited to ID doctors along this journey, both agreed I was negative, this was week 8-9?

I went to one of the top doctors about my tongue issues from UT Medical. Nothing I displayed concerned him, says it's just a coated tongue, cultured it and it was negative for yeast, just bacteria associated with coated tongue. Doctor says my anxiety has been so bad that it's caused it?

Turns out the irritations I've felt in my frontal area is contributed to an inflamed prostate, which even with medication hasn't subsided, it's literally an hour by hour process, pretty painful.

At this point it appears that all I'm dealing with can be associated with stress and anxiety? I know the singular vaginal fingering is not a transmission path for the virus, yet why can't I understand it? Has anyone experienced inflamed prostates or the pains associated with it? I'm guessing that if I had been exposed that by now it would have shown in DNA? Last question, what's a log copy? On the DNA test it's threshold was <75 copies/ml and <1.88 log copies/ml?

I wish everyone well, be easy on me, it's been a rough ride.

Take Care,
THA

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:49 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 07:53:01 pm »
Rapid,

Is that your name cause your so quick to throw down the red letters? I feel ya without even getting an actual response, answer then what a log copy is?

Take Care,
THA

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »
There is no reason to sit and waste time explaining it to you when you never had an exposure. If you want to know more on testing, read the pevention section. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 09:33:36 pm »
Rapid,

Is that your name cause your so quick to throw down the red letters? I feel ya without even getting an actual response, answer then what a log copy is?

Take Care,
THA

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines. Those of us who answer questions from folks like you are volunteers and we don't want to waste our time answering the same questions over and over again.

Consider yourself warned.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 07:19:10 am »
Houston,

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

As for your health problems, continue to work with your doctor(s) to find out what, if anything, is actually wrong with you. Whatever that may be, you have ruled hiv out of the equation.

I'm giving you a second time out, one that will last 56 days. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

• Standard
educational information
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:42 am »
Mods,

You have one Hell of a power to ban people from probably the biggest HIV informational forum available online, so I respect that, all I ask is that you have patience with people, regardless their situation real or manifested.

Ok, I know The rules regarding new threads and merging old ones, I figured this is seperate and not worth others reading 10 pages of The same BS...

My question is what know cases have happened where a person remains undetected, ie standard 4th gen, rna, ect past 6 months but still appears to have symptoms. Ive recently come across a few people online and through email who claim clinically they have major immune deficiencies without any evidence of HIV. Have you ever addressed these questions on this forum?

Thanks
THA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: educational information
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:09 am »
Houston,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

You claim to have read the rules, but you either can't comprehend what you've read or you think the rules just don't apply to you. Guess what - they DO.

We're not going to re-hash all of this with you again. You didn't have a risk. You don't have hiv.

And sure, we get people coming here who claim to have every symptom in the book and then some, and who fret that their immune systems aren't working properly. They rule hiv out of the picture - as you have - but continue to insist that whatever is going on has to have something to do with hiv when it clearly does not.

They usually end up with two time outs and a permanent ban, just like you will if you continue to use this forum as a place to wring your hands over getting a handjob and sticking your fingers in a vagina that didn't belong to your wife. You didn't have a risk for hiv infection and I suggest you get over it. We've done all we can for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »
Ann,

So basically once you write a question/situation it follows you forever? So you get sent into timeout for the same cookie you took last year, sounds like unreasonable parenting to me? I follow what your saying and yes its obvious my question concerns myself, just curious if ever a case exists where infection from a singular event presented inself outside the 6 month window? No i dont think i will rewrite history, i just think theres things in life that aren't 100% understood. Heck they just discovered a new virus in Oct 2009, still no very little about it..So Ann, in your opinion HIV is black and white, no greys? Interesting...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 05:18:56 pm »
Houston, we're not here to engage in arguments with you. You had your original concern about a non-risk answered several times over.

Now it's time to move on with your life. There is nothing further we can do for you in this setting.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 07:18:08 am »
Houston,

The purpose of this section of these forums is to educate people on hiv testing and transmission issues. Despite people trying to make it really complicated, it's actually very simple.

If someone keeps coming back with the same questions, but worded differently, it soon becomes obvious that there is nothing more we can do for them. It's not punishment, it's futility. We have lives to lead too and we're simply not going to waste our time giving the same information to the same people over and over and over again.

I do not know of any cases "where infection from a singular event presented inself outside the 6 month window". Maybe 30 years ago in the 1980s, but absolutely not since the turn of the century - or the mid-90s for that matter.

Most people will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. The only people who might take a little longer are those on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or have been injecting street drugs, every day, for years.

Where you are concerned, this is all academic anyway. YOU DID NOT HAVE A RISK FOR HIV INFECTION.

Look. You got a handjob. Not a risk. You fingered someone. Not a risk. This is all about your guilty feelings for having strayed and has absolutely NO basis in the proven science of hiv transmission.

If you cannot accept the fact that you didn't have a risk and the fact that hiv is not a punishment for straying husbands, then perhaps it's time you took this up with a marriage counselor or other therapist in the field of mental health. We cannot help you with that here.

We've done our job and given you the scientific facts surrounding hiv transmission and testing. Now it's time you did your job and deal with your guilty feelings in the appropriate setting. This forum is NOT the appropriate setting.

You're still under a perma-ban warning. Please heed it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:17:33 pm »
Ann,

Well I'm old school so I went the full 6 months, negative result as expected. I apologize for wasting Your time and resources. I guess when they say symptoms mean nothing its true! Get tested is all you can do, obviously not warranted here but whatever. Take care Ann!

THA

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 09:32:39 am »
OK. Good and now hopefully you can move on with your life.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.