Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:05:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 344
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blood topic  (Read 10404 times)

Offline al429

Blood topic
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:55 pm »
Hi,

Before  I start I just want to say thank you for a wonderful website. 

Ok here goes:

I went to work (i need to write this: i bit my skin on my  all my nails until it bled and therefore i put bandaid on both thumbs, where it bled more than the other nails)......and had serous stomach problems....so i went to use the work washroom...i did my thing and then went to urinate in the stand up urinal.........and went straight back to my work station.......midday i see a blood spot on my thumb (below where the bandaid is)......and here i start thinking where did this come from?  and so now I am worried that i picked this blood up from when i was in the washroom and what if i collected this blood and wiped my ass (sorry for being graphic) and allowed for this blood to touch my ass.  I had diarahea and so i did have this burning sensation in my butt....and after i went to take a piss...holding my penis with the same thumb that had this blood on it.......guy/girls i am worried.....does this warrant a test?  What if i got this blood from the tissue dispenser and then wiped my ass and injected it to my microscopic cuts in my butt???  Please don't laugh, this is a serious question.  And then right after took a piss using that same thumb to hold and jiggle my penis.  I don't know where i got this blood (I DEFINITELY KNOW IT WASN'T FROM THE BANDAID/THUMB INJURY AS THE BLOOD SPOT WAS WAY DONE FROM THE BAND AID)

PLEASE HELP!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Blood topic
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:45 pm »
HIV is not transmitted this way, you had no risk whatsoever..HIV has to get into the blood stream in order to infect..please read the Welcome Thread and follow the lessons on how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline al429

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »
Hi Anne,

Are you sure that this was not even a remote risk?  Please let me know, I am worried that this disease has it in for me.  I have been very promiscuous but always protected, so I am not worried about this.  It's just I don't know how this blood got onto my thumb....and I guarantee that this wasn't my blood as my bandaid was way way up from the blood spot.  Ann, Andy, rapid, any expert, please let me know what you think....i don't mean to be a pain...but if i have to test then i will.  The last test i took was mid 2008.

thank you all once again,

Al

Offline al429

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:53 pm »
i also want to add that i noticed this blood spot late in the afternoon....so this blood spot may have come into contact with my urethra, anus (as i wiped my but hard after finishing my business)....i also went to the bathroom a couple of times already (touched my penis with the same thumb).........i don't know where else I could have exposed 'open' areas on my body....i know my urethra, my anus, perhaps my nose, i am not to sure.....but i know this was not my blood.

please let  me know the truth.

thank you,

al

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:04:36 am »
Here is the truth. This isn't an HIV situation. If HIV were that easily spread, everyone would have it.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:19:10 am »
If we thought for one moment there was a risk of you contacting HIV we would tell you..we don't play games here, and we don't lie, you ask the questions we give you the answers.

It seems to me that you need to educate yourself on how HIV is transmitted, otherwise you are going to spend alot of time worrying over nothing.

No Risk..time to move on.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline al429

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 06:06:47 am »
Thank you so much for your time and help.

Al

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:17 am »
Al,

Just chiming in to agree with Anniebc and Worker that you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection with this blood worry of yours.

Along with reading the Transmission lesson linked to in the Welcome thread like Anniebc asked you to, here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS "BLOOD TOPIC", anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

edited because I accidently called Worker by another member's name. Whoopsie!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:08:04 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline al429

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:04:23 pm »
Hey Everyone,

So I had an incident and I just want the opinions of the experts.  I don't think I was at risk, but I thought why not post here to affirm my thought.

I went out on Saturday night and everything was going well until the end of the night were i got so drunk.  I ended puking in the men's urinals in the club.  I don't remember this, but a friend of mine said this happened.  Later a bunch of us got into a brawl outside, and I busted my upper lip as well as cuts that bled all around my knuckles.  We got arrested and thrown in jail.  I was so hammered and woke up on the concrete slab, in jail, with blood on both my knuckles.  I had cuts all over, some gaping as the blood clot was pretty big.  Also my wrists were cut as well, and I believe this was from the handcuffs.  Is this something to be concerned about in regards to being exposed to HIV?  Also the concrete slab in jail had spots of blood on it, and I am not sure if it was the blood that was on my knuckles, fists, upper lip (again i was really wasted).  I learnt my lesson here people, so please don't judge me.  I was way out of character.

Thanks again,

Al

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:19:08 pm »
No.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:21:10 am »
No, you weren't at risk for HIV.

But I sure would think twice about having gotten so drunk that you were out of control and blacking/blanking out. Now that IS dangerous.

This is another non-HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline al429

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 12:01:15 am »
Thanks Guys.  I really appreciate what you do here.  Thanks a million. 

Offline al429

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 07:50:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is well.  I has a slight incident last night, and thought again i would run it by all of you.  I went to a dealers house with a friend of mine to pick some weed; this guy looked like a real bad ass with tatoos and thug like attitude.  When he opened the door he was clutching his right wrist.  My friend asked what happened and he replied his dog just bit him and instructed us to go into the living room to wait while he cleaned up his wound.  His right wrist was bleeding pretty badly and so we told him to take his time.  We sat on the couch, I was weary and a bit panicky of where we were.  Anyways as soon as I sat down, his dog came out what seemed like from nowhere and immediately grabbed my left hand viciously.  He bit down so hard that I started screaming until the owner came and literally punched his dog until he let go of my hand.  I looked down at my left hand and in horror I was bleeding all over, with blood dripping on the floor.  The dealer apologized, but I was in so much pain and took off my shirt to stop the bleeding.  I went to the emergency room to get treated for my wound right after.  I was so upset and dazed at what had just happened.

My question here is if the dealer was HIV positive and the dog bit him moments before he bit me, is there a chance i could contract the HIV virus in this scenario?

Thanks again everyone.

Al

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:53:05 pm »
HIV is not transmitted by animal bite or insect bites.

Offline al429

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 08:55:53 pm »
Thanks Rapid.  Andy, Anne, any other experts want to chime in and evaluate this, i would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks again Rapid.

Al

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 04:20:07 am »
Al,

Hiv is a very fragile virus. Small changes in temperature, pH levels and moisture content all quickly damage hiv and so do certain proteins and enzymes in saliva. There's no way on earth hiv from the dealer would have remained intact and able to infect while in the dog's mouth before he bit you.

In future, maybe you should wait outside while your friend goes to his dodgy mates for pot.

It's time you started applying what you've learned about hiv (have you bothered to read the Welcome thread yet?) to your own life. We're not here to hold your hand every time something happens to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline al429

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 06:18:40 pm »
Thanks Ann for the input.  Again truly remarkable what you guys do here.  I do want to apologize for keeping on coming back for issues that are non-incidents.  I will try not to come here or be paranoid about blood incidences.  I have read the welcome thread and do know all the ways in how one might get infected with HIV.  I guess it is normal to think that 'your' incidence is different and might be a 'new' way to get infected.  Again thank you and God Bless.

Happy Easter.

Al

Offline al429

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 08:30:08 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I hope all is keeping well.  So I have not been here for awhile and have managed to not worry about the many small incidences that have happened since i was last here.  I realized the HIV virus is very fragile and having it transmit outside the body is extremely rare.  I had something happened to me last night and again I just want to let go of it, but my mind just cannot let go.

I went out to a club with some friends and towards the end of the night i got caught in the middle of a brawl.  We all got thrown out and my shirt and part of my face was dripping/drenched in blood.  I did not get any cuts, as I was not fighting at all, i was just caught in the middle of this.  I just got drenched with so much blood all over my upper chest and side of my face.  After this i ended up puking on my shirt and shoes outside the club, as i was pretty hammered.

My friends dropped me home, and i just took all my clothes off and went to bed.

Now I don't know if i may have been at risk of getting HIV with all the blood that was on me (i don't know if some blood got into my ears, nose, mouth or any cuts that i may have).  When I got up in the morning I did not even look at my body, i just quickly jumped in the shower.  I was hoping the experts can assess my risk here?  My mind is telling me that I shouldn't worry about this, but at the same time it's telling that their  was too much blood present all over me for this not to be risk.

please help.

Al

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 08:32:21 pm »
Seek professional mental help for your phobias.

Offline al429

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »
Thanks for the response Rapid.  It doesn't address the incident, but okay thanks for your input.

Offline al429

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 09:25:32 pm »
Andy, Ann, your input would be so much appreciated.  I have not been here for over 3 months, please could I get both of your comments.

Thank you and God Bless.

Al

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 10:01:23 pm »
Nothing you have described in your latest incident would have put you at any risk for HIV transmission. Zero risk. Period. End of story.

Get on with your life. No testing necessary nor any cause for further concern.
Andy Velez

Offline al429

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 10:04:22 pm »
Thanks Andy for your response.  I really appreciate it.

Offline al429

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 06:06:41 pm »
So I'm really trying to let this incident go, but i keep replaying this whole scenario.  The more I try to remember the less I seem to remember exactly (again due to intoxication) what happened.  All i seem to know is other peoples blood got on me that night, not drops, but glass full's on my shirt, arms and side of my face.  I cannot seem to remember if some blood got into my eyes, mouth, nose, ears, or the many minor cuts that people have on their body that they do not know about.

I am really worried, and it probably serves me right.  Intoxication leads to no control and significant memory loss, i just don't want to do this anymore.

Andy thanks for your response.  After reading this, do you still stand by your expert assessment?

Ann any thoughts?

Thanks and God Bless.

Al 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:22 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline al429

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 09:44:23 pm »
Rapid 2 posts in 3 months does not seem excessive.  I did not want something to happen for me to be here.....honestly.

I would just like to hear Ann and her thoughts on this and if Andy still stands by his initial assessment given the information i added.  That's all I want. 

I am really not here to offend anyone.

Thanks and God Bless.

Al

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »
Andy told you that you were never at risk and no matter what spins you want to put on it the answers are NOT going to change.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:40:00 am »
There's no reason to change my initial assessment. Just because you continue to have thoughts that scare  you doesn't change the facts of the situation.

You are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline al429

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »
Thanks Andy and Rapid for the response.

But I just realized something that might change this whole scenario:

after getting blood all over me, I puked outside the club and wiped my mouth, lips, and bottom part of my nose with my right arm and hand (and this arm and hand was covered in other peoples blood!); i did this to wipe the remnants of puke out of my mouth (sorry for the gory details).  I puked literally 4 to 7 minutes after getting peoples blood all over my chest, arms and side of my face.  Could I have gotten infected with HIV by this or is it possible to be infected in this manner (wiping HIV blood onto your mouth, lips, nose etc.)?

Sorry Rapid, I just remembered this detail and visualized how I was using my bloodied arm to wipe my face (mouth, lips, and partial nose).

Please answer this please... and I can just let this go.

Thanks and God Bless.

Al

Al

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »
Al,

Your additional gory details do not change our original assessment. You just don't seem to be understanding the fact that hiv is not transmitted outside the body this way.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.