Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:24:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 500
Total: 501

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PCP Pneumonia and Long Term Lung Effects - Anyone having this?  (Read 15194 times)

Offline Nate

Hey all,

I had PCP Pneumonia 10 years ago and ever since then when Im working out or jogging I seem to get winded faster than I used to.  I breath real deeply, but I still cant seem to get enough air.

Does anybody know if this could be caused by "scarring" of the lung tissue?  The only thing I can figure is that the lung tissue was scarred and reduces my ability to take in enough air when Im exercising.

Is there anybody else out there who may be noticing the same problem?

Thanks for your thoughts!!  :)
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: PCP Pneumonia and Long Term Lung Effects - Anyone having this?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »
Hi Nate,

Let me say welcome. 

Have you asked for or had any breathing tests done?
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:33:44 am »
Welcome to long-termers Nate
I do do have similar issues but I need ti dig out my Hospital discharge report so I get the big words splelt right.
just kept putting off replying ,but will
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:50 am »
I was diagnosed (after videolaryngoscopy) with Bronchial Obliterans Organizing Pneumonia   BOOP for short.

It has affected my endurance and I am susceptible to getting pneumonia (which I am recently getting over...damnit)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »
Another forum member was discussing this recently, though the discussion was in the "Living With HIV" forum since he is not an LTSer (if memory serves me correctly).  Here is a link to that thread.  In a nutshell, it sounds like it is very possible to have long-term effects and reduced lung function from PCP.   :-[

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=36645.0

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline roy100

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:19:33 pm »
I suspect I have some damage to the lungs due to the fact, that I loose air easily when exercising.
Also my blood count is a bit elevated, 50.3 hamatocrites, which is the upper limit .

People with damage to the lungs tend to have higher red , or hematocrites counts , so that the blood would carry more oxygen. ( This is very common also in places with higher altitudes, like Mexico City ).

When I asked the Dr about it , and if I needed some x-rays, he said that could be very well be possible, or maybe that I have a very good nourishment.

Well he didn't want to talk about it , he would rather concentrate in giving me an equilibrium with my cd4.

Just have in mind about the red cell  count which is a good indicator of damage to the lungs.
Roy
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:34:53 am »
Hi Roy,

This Forum is off limits to anyone who is not a longterm survivor which is defined as follows in the opening thread:

This forum is a safe place for long-term survivors (LTS), defined as people living with HIV who tested positive for the virus before the advent of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in 1996. This forum is a result of LTS members petitioning for a place to discuss issues unique to those who lived with a diagnosis of HIV through the initial decades of the AIDS epidemic.

If this subject is one you want to pursue then I suggest you begin a thread in Living With.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline johnbrown

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:46 am »
PCP Pneumonia is the bane of my existence and YES having it just once will effect the amount of O2 in your blood. I've had it 6 times since testing Poz and when you look at an Xray of my lungs they look like they are full of cobwebs due to the scar tissue it causes. I've also noticed that I'm VERY susceptible of getting any kind of Pneumonia!
Diagnosed June 1994
Currently on Truvada, Isentress, Intellence, Egrifta, Gabapentin, Percs, Celexa
CD4 Count 502
VL Undetectable
% 17%
"Tomorrow isn't promised so live each day like it is your last"

Offline Mus1cl0V3R

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »
Hi Roy,

This Forum is off limits to anyone who is not a longterm survivor which is defined as follows in the opening thread:

This forum is a safe place for long-term survivors (LTS), defined as people living with HIV who tested positive for the virus before the advent of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in 1996. This forum is a result of LTS members petitioning for a place to discuss issues unique to those who lived with a diagnosis of HIV through the initial decades of the AIDS epidemic.

If this subject is one you want to pursue then I suggest you begin a thread in Living With.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Does this rule also apply to those who never tested positive before 1996 (never took the test) but were diagnosed with AIDS in early 1996?

Offline Sfteve

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:42:34 am »
This is a very interesting topic as I did suffer PCP back in the 90īs.

I have recently moved from the west coast to Santa Fe, NM (altitude about 6500 feet). My blood work shows low oxigen in my blood and doing any type of outdoor exercise becomes difficult due to shortness of breath. I did some travelling south to visit family and found my old self breathing back to normal again until I returned home.

I am giving serious consideration to a permanent move back to the coast.
HIV since 1984, Cancer survivor since 1996.
Tcells= 678, Undetectable
Prezista
Truvada
Norvir

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 01:46:50 pm »
This is a very interesting topic as I did suffer PCP back in the 90īs.

I have recently moved from the west coast to Santa Fe, NM (altitude about 6500 feet). My blood work shows low oxigen in my blood and doing any type of outdoor exercise becomes difficult due to shortness of breath. I did some travelling south to visit family and found my old self breathing back to normal again until I returned home.

I am giving serious consideration to a permanent move back to the coast.

Hey Sfteve long time no hear  ;)  I had PCP way back in 92 and was put on Bactrim for about 9 or 10 yrs.
when i 1st moved to ABQ, I had a problem w/ my breathing ( maybe it was the high-altitude) but sometimes I still do get-outta-breath, don't know if it was due to having PCP so many yrs. ago.....

to me California is a nice place to visit ( I have Family in Nor-Cal) but I wouldn't want to live there, that place is the PITS, and very expensive to live, just my 2 cents...

after about a few yrs. of living here in ABQ, my breathing did improve somewhat, it's not perfect, but I have learned to deal w/ this as much as I can, and my doctor said my blood-oxy-levels are good, anywho
nice to see you around, not very many of us New Mexican's that even post in these forums, for whatever reason, and I know there's a lot of HIV/AIDS folks @ least here in ABQ where I live  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.