Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:52:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 530
Total: 532

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Community Advisory Board - CAB  (Read 6522 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Community Advisory Board - CAB
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:32:20 pm »
So, I'm trying to make the most of having to reside in IL rather than IN to get healthcare.  (Don't get me wrong I like IL much better but since I just moved back IN 4 1/2 yrs ago to be closer to family and have a cheaper cost of living it's a pain)  Anyway after talking (again) with my Medicare Part D provider & the state of Illinois I am told by the end of the week everything will be worked out and I'll be able to get my meds.  -- Cuting it close but I'll make it (medwise).

Moving on -- since I want to be more pro-active with my healthcare and life in general I've just joined the Community Advisory Board for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago.  The first meeting isn't until Monday, 1 Feb 2010 so it will be awhile before I have anything to report.  It seems like I recall at least 1 other person here being on a local CAB so I was looking for some input and/or suggestions.

Wish me luck!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Community Advisory Board - CAB
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:55:23 pm »
I've referenced the Ryan White Planning Council here many times, but I'm not on it.  A good friend of mine is the co-chair though.  Does this board you are joining work with that or something else?  I think they only have Ryan White Planning Councils in metro areas, but I guess you're in one now so check around if this board doesn't have anything to do with that.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »
I am sure you will earn your luck Andy and I wish you all  good fortune to go with it.
Also many thanks for the Post
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline jm1953

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »
Congratulations for becoming a CAB member.  I was Secretary for our Community Advisory Board for the Aids Clinical Trial Unit in Honolulu for about four years.  We worked with the facilitator and staff going over current clinical trials which were ongoing or to be available.  Our challenge was to help in making decisions about which trials might be best for us to pursue in lieu of the communities needs and which might benefit the University best.  As well as recruiting patients through our various ASO's and physicians.  I'm not sure if this is the mission of the CAB you will be working with, that is, focusing on clinical trials and opportunities for the Unit and State.  I found it very rewarding, and participated in a few studies myself.

We also worked with the director of Hawaii's ADAP who gave us monthly reports as far as patient load and the financial situation.  Sometimes we were involved in helping with the ADAP formulary as well.

Since reports given to us at our CAB meetings were given by doctors facilitating the studies, many times there was a lot of medical language used which I didn't quite get.  But I found the physicians very considerate in answering any question or clarifying something we didn't understand.  Plus they were excited to get our input.  

I think you will find this a very rewarding experience, and certainly a great way to represent your community no matter what the mission of the CAB you are participating may be.

Best of luck,

JM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:17:46 pm by jm1953 »
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:01:41 am »
Wow JM--

It sounds like you really made a difference.

The AFC doesn't conduct any trials it's more of a broader organization that works with the government, corporations & other non-profits to improve the quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS in the metro Chicago area.  They do everything from host the anual AIDS RUN/WALK CHICAGO to partnering with HUD on housing programs.

With is CAB program they are looking for feedback from people living with HIV/AIDS who use their services.  Let them know how their programs can be tweeked and make them aware of issues we face day to day that they might not even be aware.  Atl least thats the impression I get from the intern I've spoken to and excahged emails with.  I guess I'll really know more after the 1st.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:49:57 am »
Andy, congrats on joining the CAB.  They have one in Hoosierville.  I know they meet in Indianapolis, and do pretty much that things you talked about.  I know you'll do an excellent job.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »

Congratulations Andy !! Wishing you the best, keep us updated.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »
I was on a Cape Cod CAB which was interesting, in part, because P-town had its program, Hyannis had its program (all part of the same larger organisation) but the population affected in the former wasn't the same as the latter (which included women); there were lunches served in the former, a foodbank in the latter and our sign couldn't include the word 'aids' in Hyannis (ASGCC: Aids Support Group of Cape Cod). 

I mention this because I have been pressed to get involved with the CAB in central Maine and once again, services, funding, etc. need to come from the area serviced rather than, say, contacting New York or Boston which are much larger cities.  There was a hint of an AIDS walk and I immediately thought, 'well, perhaps in Portland, but in Augusta?'  Among my suggestions to a board member has been starting with a survey of members to get a sense of basics: do they have a ready means for travel aside from medical appointments; to what degree are they at all comfortable with others knowing about their diagnosis; can we contact local pharmacies which have many of 'our' patients and encourage them to do a round up styled fundraising effort?  Getting a dialogue going between the Cape and Maine since the sizes should be similar and many of the issues already addressed on the Cape might be the same (why have to reinvent the wheel?). 

Glad to hear about your involvement!
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:25:30 pm »
How did the meeting go Andy ?

t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 04:13:32 am »
Sorry I sort of disappeared off the face of the earth for awhile (well at least these forums).  I was going crazy calling the state, my medicare part D provider and my pharmacy trying to get them to coordinate my benefits.  It took many days and tons of phone calls to get everything settled before I ran out of meds.  Thank goodness I know the pharmacy manager and that it's an HIV specialty pharmacy and he also made lots of calls on by behalf.  I know a lot of people have had trouble with Walgreens but I can't say enough good things about mine.

Moving on ... The CAB meeting went pretty well and it occured on the 1st and Illniois's primary was the 2nd so I got a nice printout about how the candidates answered (or didn't bother to answer) and questionnaire put out by the AFC.  A lot of time was taken up with AFC policies and programs and pushing awareness of "Lobby Days" March 16th & 17th in Springfield, IL.  Illinois has several proposals to cut funding to some HIV/AIDS programs to help solve their budget crisis.

AA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.