Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:26:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 208
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Parenting skills....HHHmmmmm.....  (Read 1459 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Parenting skills....HHHmmmmm.....
« on: February 11, 2012, 08:15:12 am »

This article appeared on the Baynews9 home page today:

Dad uses unexpectedly viral video, gunfire to discipline daughter for Facebook rant

Article:

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2012/february/381062/Dad-uses-unexpectedly-viral-video,-gunfire-to-discipline-daughter-for-Facebook-rant

YOUtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU&list=UU6OSygSHWSo4pbV5ttl2YPg&index=1&feature=plcp

ST. PETERSBURG --

He's not the type of father you want to disrespect and make angry, and he proved it to his daughter.

For the North Carolina girl, a Facebook post ranting about parenting made her father angry enough to post a YouTube video for her friends -- and now the world -- to see.

When he posted the video this week, Tommy Jordan was looking to discipline his 15-year-old daughter for a Facebook rant he came across while loading pictures to the Jordan family dog's Facebook profile. Jordan said his daughter blocked her parents from viewing the post, but not the family dog.

In the video and on his very much public Facebook page, Jordan said his daughter posted an explicative-laden rant on teenage issues like doing chores and wanting more money than she felt she was getting.

"To my parents, I’m not your damn slave. It’s not my responsibility to clean up your [explicative]," read Jordan from his daughter's post.

Jordan added this preface to the video after the video went multi-million viewed viral this week:

"Warning: Since this video seems to have gone crazy, I figure I'll post this notice. I'm going to read a letter my 15 year old daughter wrote. There ARE some curse words in it. None of them are incredibly bad, but they are definitely things a little kid shouldn't hear... not to mention things MY KID shouldn't say!"

Jordan went on to read from the post, "If you want coffee, get off your [explicative] and make it yourself. If you want a garden, shovel the fertilizer yourself. Don’t sit back on your [explicative] and watch me do it."

His daughter explained that she wouldn't be around to help when her parents were older:

"I’m going to hate to see the day when you get too old to wipe you’re [explicative] and you call me asking for help, I won’t be there. Signed your pissed kid..."

When he was done reading the letter, he began to explain his view about what his daughter did.

"You don’t have that hard a life, but you’re about too. I warned you months ago about what would happen if you did something like this on Facebook again."

As he spoke, he crumpled the post he was reading in his hand.

Jordan stood up and put a resounding end to his daughter's laptop. "That right there is your laptop. You see, it’s out here on the ground. This right here is my .45.

Gunfire rang out.

Jordan said his daughter would have to pay him back for the rounds he shot into the laptop and added a round for a disrespectful comment the girl made about her mother.

"Your mom told me to be sure I put one in there for her."

He fired another shot.

"So, that one’s for her."

He ended the video with one more pointed message to his daughter and thanked viewers for watching.

"Hope you’ve enjoyed your little fiasco on facebook. Hope it was worth all this. Have a good day, ya’ll."

Pyschologist says father's move unhealthy, points to anger with family

Priority Health psychologist Dr. Steven O'Brien said Jordan's parenting tactic was essentially the same thing his daughter did and was not healthy.

"Unfortunately, it isn’t a very healthy response. The problem is that he ultimately did the same thing she did. She was inappropriate online, but then again, she’s a teenager. So, we’re going to expect some of that behavior. And he, as an adult, did the same thing -- was inappropriate online. Teenagers are entitled. It’s part of the developmental process. It’s part of growing up."

Dr. O'Brien said though it is not appropriate for a teen to post such content online, the action needed to have consequences, but not with the "rage" Jordan exhibited.

"There’s probably already a lot of anger in that family and this is going to unfortunately promote that kind of anger," Dr. O'Brien said.

Dr. O'Brien suggested parents who feel they are in a similar situation as Jordan need to find out more about what is fueling the problem. "Part of this, again, is normal developmental stuff in terms of being entitled. It isn’t as normal to get intense online," he said.

Jordan posted on his Facebook that he didn't expect the video to get the attention it has, and was somewhat regretful that the video with a focus on his daughter has gained attention across the nation and even the world.

On his Facebook page, Jordan said he told the Toronto Star he uploaded the video to YouTube because he preferred the upload process to Facebook, and his intended audience wasn't the world, but simply his daughter's Facebook friends.

"Well, I actually just had to load the video file itself on YouTube because it’s a better upload process than Facebook, but the intended audience was her Facebook friends and the parents of those friends who saw her post and would naturally assume we let our children get away with something like that."

He also claimed his family was the highest trending topic in the world Friday:

"I don't know what to think, say or feel today. My family is the single number one most popular topic in the world today... Not IN the top of the list, not on the top 10 list... I mean actually the single most trending thing in the entire world."

Jordan said he had no intention of continuing to talk to the media about the video and wouldn't go on morning talk shows because "there's absolutely NO way I'm going to send my child the message that it's OK to gain from something like this."

As for how his daughter is handling the unexpected infamous publicity generated by the video, Jordan said, "She's great. She's strong. And apparently she's handling it better than some of you are."
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Parenting skills....HHHmmmmm.....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:20:42 am »
So ridiculous.  Out of curiosity, in my house growing up we were compensated for chores (a pittance, but something) in order to teach us the value of the work that we did, I would assume most people did it this way?.  I suppose the value he's attaching to the work he requests of his daughter is that she has food and a "roof over her head".  Frankly I wouldn't want to live in a house with someone unstable and irrational enough to put a bullet in a laptop over a post made on facebook.  Granted we're only seeing one side of this story and he's definitely over reacting, but I wonder what the daughter is like.  Anyway I almost wish I hadn't read/watched this tripe.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.