Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:55:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Memory loss  (Read 6983 times)

Offline 2blessed

Memory loss
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:04:21 pm »
I've been on atripla maybe three months? And I'm doing great except I lose my train of thought sometimes and this never used to happen mind you I'm only 22..I'm kind of confused and scared because my grandfather is showing signs if dementia right now and idk I'm afraid I'm going to get to that point

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Memory loss
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:22 pm »
I've been on atripla maybe three months? And I'm doing great except I lose my train of thought sometimes and this never used to happen mind you I'm only 22..I'm kind of confused and scared because my grandfather is showing signs if dementia right now and idk I'm afraid I'm going to get to that point

Hi Blessed , I don't think you have to worry about dementia at 22 but your concerns about Atripla and CNS issue's is a valid one ... I was having issues with Atripla and after talking to my doctor about it and ruling other things out we changed my meds and it was almost instant relief .

Check out this thread http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=47901.0
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:12 pm »
Hi Blessed , I don't think you have to worry about dementia at 22 but your concerns about Atripla and CNS issue's is a valid one ... I was having issues with Atripla and after talking to my doctor about it and ruling other things out we changed my meds and it was almost instant relief .

Check out this thread http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=47901.0

Thanks I just kinda lose track every now and then but eventually I remember what I was doing/saying but I'm not wanting it to go worst because school starts in the fall and I don't want this holding me back

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:17 pm »
Thanks I just kinda lose track every now and then but eventually I remember what I was doing/saying but I'm not wanting it to go worst because school starts in the fall and I don't want this holding me back

TALK to your doctor. It's no problem to switch your meds, and you will be thankful for it.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:39:26 am »
Definitely discuss it with your doc, as it could be med related. 

Having said that, I do think we sometimes notice normal things that others would not give a thought to.  I know I will lose my train of thought, or my words will come out scrambled.  Or, someone will say something, and then I will repeat it.  For example, my friend recently said he was hungry and we should go eat at a certain restaurant.  A few minutes later I asked if he was hungry and where he wanted to eat.  I will often wonder whether it is something that happens to everyone, or whether it is virus related.  I do think that happens to everyone, especially if you are busy or have a lot on your mind.  But, if you feel this is something definitely new and more than just the normal distracted mind, I would discuss it with your doc. 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 05:13:13 pm »
You are not losing your mind.  The same thing happened with me.

ATRIPLA!!!!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mitch777

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:13:54 pm »
You are not losing your mind.  The same thing happened with me.

ATRIPLA!!!!
ditto.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 04:35:48 pm »
Hey, people who know things. Is it just the Sustiva that's thought to be responsible or is any blame thrown on the Truvada part?

In my case, it could be any number of things, but I've been noticing this lately too. I stop mid-sentence and can't remember what I was talking about. No efavirenz here, but 'yes' on emtricitabine and tenofovir.

Just curious. I doubt ARVs are my problem.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »
Hey, people who know things. Is it just the Sustiva that's thought to be responsible or is any blame thrown on the Truvada part?

I have minor "Atripla" symptoms with Complera, which has emtricitabine and tenofovir -- I suspect there is something to this.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:03:07 pm »

In my case, it could be any number of things, but I've been noticing this lately too. I stop mid-sentence and can't remember what I was talking about. No efavirenz here, but 'yes' on emtricitabine and tenofovir.

Just curious. I doubt ARVs are my problem.

Complicated. HIV itself (treated or untreated) can get in your brain and cause damage on its own.  There are a lot of unknowns about this.  Some people recommend arvs that penetrate into the brain.  However, I don't think it's ever been proved that one particular arv is better or worse of in preventing HIV related dementia or memory issues.

Atripla does penetrate into the brain (hence its crazy effects) so it's half dozen of one 6 of the other.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 08:44:51 pm »
I've found the Sustiva was a major factor in my ability to have a certain aspect of thought clarity. Hard to even know how to describe it.
I switched to Truvada and Isentress, so the Truvada part remains.
Huge difference for the good in any case. :)

As Bugs said, the virus itself remains active in the brain.
I honestly believe the combination of meds and hiv have done permanent brain damage to me over the span of over 30 years.
Much tougher struggle with cognitive function for me in the past 5-7 years.
Just my experience.

ps- if Truvada also plays a role, maybe if I dumped that for another med I would become a rocket scientist. :) :)     ???
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:50:39 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »
Is that why you haven't mastered the art of word wrap for text display?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:04:36 pm »
Let me tell y'all a little story about my recent trip down Memory Lane and the goings on that tried to distract me from my destination.

I ask your indulgence as I recount the following.

As you may know, I have been on Sustiva--at a low dose of 400 mg--since the late 1990s. I have tolerated it generally well enough and am quite aware of the rather unpleasant side effects as many others have stated and experienced.  I have not noticed any cognitive decline or memory loss--thus far.

Well, my brain skills were put to a high stakes test this past week when I went to a recent job interview for a full time permanent job in my professional field. Previously, I had taken an online pre-screening assessment and apparently was successful enough to be selected to come in for a first round interview. The vibe was good when I got there and I connected with the folk on the interviewing panel. 

As the interview progressed, it went into something like an adaptive testing mode moving from questions with one point of inquiry to 3 part questions (from which they read) that suggested nuanced variable responses. I had not encountered multi-part interview questions of late.

I smiled and thought to myself, "No they didn't!" Well, this seasoned guy worked their last nerve and responded in kind obviously from my knowledge of self and then said something to the effect "As you can see from my resume, page 2 at the 3rd bullet under position so and so, I did so and so."  ;)

As my mother would say, "With the look on their faces, you could have bought the lot for a penny!"   "Try to match clever, will ya?"  ;)

At the end of the interview, we all had a good laugh.  Even the HR person quipped to one of the guys on the panel something to the effect, "Fred, I believe you have met your match and more."  SNAP! (my emphasis) :D

They will complete the first round candidate vetting process the end of the coming week and inform those selected for round 2 interviews by June 25.

In the meantime, I got 2 more consulting projects in my inbox this evening. What an additional and wonderful Father's Day present!   :D

Onward and upward!   :D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:37 am »
I have minor "Atripla" symptoms with Complera, which has emtricitabine and tenofovir -- I suspect there is something to this.

Ah, but Complera also contains Edurant (rilpivirine), which is in the same class of meds as Sustiva (NNTRI).

It shares some of the possible side effects with Sustiva such as:

Edurant can cause depression or mood changes. Be sure to contact your health care provider immediately if you are feeling said or hopeless, feeling anxious or restless, or have thoughts of hurting yourself (suicide) or have tried to hurt yourself.

Common side effects of Edurant include trouble sleeping (insomnia), headache and rash.
source

I'd be more inclined to wonder if your 'minor "Atripla" symptoms' are due to the Edurant rather than the emtricitabine and/or tenofovir.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:51 am »

I'd be more inclined to wonder if your 'minor "Atripla" symptoms' are due to the Edurant rather than the emtricitabine and/or tenofovir.

Thanks Ann, I have spoken with my Doc and he is more than willing to switch if I need to but like I say, the symptoms seem minor enough for now.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline 2blessed

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »
Thanks for all the great responses I actually had my first 3 month checkup today and I spoke with my doctor about it and what I could do as far as like any type of supplements cuz I've always heard that fish oil is good for memory and I was just wondering if I should try it and she said it won't hurt to try it

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 06:41:04 am »
 Oh the old, why did come in this room? What was I doing? Oh boy, do it all the time. First I blamed my medication until I talked to all my friends and they do the same thing and aren't on ARVs nor are they HIV positive. I've discussed it with my ID doctor and she says I'm to active, not so much physical but mentally. Other than making you frustrated there's no harm.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.