Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:15:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 233
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 3D printers .  (Read 12846 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
3D printers .
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:47:04 pm »
I have been watching the progress of the 3D printing machine and I will be getting one , one day .

I will use it to make stupid stuff to amuse myself with but these printers are a game changer for every industry from manufacturing to medical use . One scientist was able to use stem cells and grow a mouse heart , just think of the possibilitys . 

http://news.yahoo.com/3-d-printing-goes-sci-fi-fantasy-reality-133123371.html   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

Re: 3D printers .
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:59:50 pm »
I wonder if people understand just how big of a game changer 3d printers could be in the world economy.  Right now the technology is in its infancy however, once the technology becomes a little more refined and the printers are able to produce items a bit faster they will pretty much negate entire manufacturing industries.

China, India, parts of the US, and many other economies that rely on manufacturing could disappear overnight. Why pay workers to assemble that doodad when the printer can make the same thing?

Then once the technology is able to assemble organic material (not just inorganic stuff like it can do now) then it's a whole new game. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:07:33 pm »
I wonder if people understand just how big of a game changer 3d printers could be in the world economy.  Right now the technology is in its infancy however, once the technology becomes a little more refined and the printers are able to produce items a bit faster they will pretty much negate entire manufacturing industries.

China, India, parts of the US, and many other economies that rely on manufacturing could disappear overnight. Why pay workers to assemble that doodad when the printer can make the same thing?

Then once the technology is able to assemble organic material (not just inorganic stuff like it can do now) then it's a whole new game. 

Exactly , why go too home depot when you can make a screw or your own tool at home ... its so much more complex I know , its staggering what the implications are . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »
If you think it out the the extremes (not even really extreme) once organic material can be constructed there will be no need for any stores, manufacturing, shipping services, anything.

Your at home, you have a headache, you select Tylenol from the 3d printer, it charges you $1.99 and spits out two freshly made Tylenols. 

Decide you want a new Gucci purse. You select it, it charges you bank account, 10 minutes later voila Gucci purse.

Our economy as we know it is gone.

Granted that's no where near soon, but if you play out the prospects..it's definitely a possibility. It's almost scary.

Not to mention black market shit.  You get the plans for a bomb, enter them in the computer, ten minutes later, you have a bomb. Scary

If they can make a human ear now, think of it...we could print out our own robots soldiers and conquer the world, or destroy it. 

I wonder if you could get the plans for a cute twink and print that out? At least there is some good!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:21:58 pm by buginme2 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:43:45 pm »

I wonder if you could get the plans for a cute twink and print that out? At least there is some good!

Willy is on it already LOL .

I have been watching videos for the last two years and I almost bought one a few months ago but talked myself out of it until after summer vacation .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:33 pm »
I  am  familiar  with these  machines  from many years  ago   ( late  80 )  they were used to make  one  off  special  designs  for  castings  and  other intricate  machine  parts  that  would  have taken  highly  skilled  machinist many hours to make  or  would have  required  a  welded up  type  structure.....  ultra  expensive and  huge  devices but  super  efficient and allowed many  design modifications by  changing  the  software  direction on screen  without  going to  redoing drawings and instructions

now a  "home  Model" can do similar tasks...like  going from a huge  printing press to a desktop  laser  printer  ..... the   factory models  could use  different  types of  materials to  created the  object    ...not  really sure  what these  "home"  models use
I  would  think  big box  stores  (  Lowes, etc )   would  start to have industrial models  available  to  sell you a one off  "no longer produced"  hardware  items or  replacement  parts .

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
The home printers I have seen for desktop use layer plastics or resin to make objects . I read that because of the material it uses the clean up and maintenance part of owning them is considerable and expensive .

I hoping to talk myself out of getting one until I know a LOT more about them , thankfully my impulse buying nature has got itself in check the last few years . I have a workshop out back dedicated to art , arts and crafts and general tinkering .

I do sculpture and I couldn't be more exited about the possibility's of using one of those for that purpose .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »
3d printing is one of my favorite topics these days -- I have a colleague who's partner works for a major manufacturer on the topic - and it is exciting.

The way 3D printing could change society is thought provoking -- from how intellectual property will change (such as having open source products, reverse engineered products), to how it can take us back to decentralized/regional manufacturing which will significantly change the trade balance and global politics.

I heard a radio show recently that was discussing how you could print adult toys with your favorite celebrity's head on them...there is a thought....
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »
Can I print my own Zach Snyder?

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:17:32 pm »
Can I print my own Zach Snyder?

that wasn't the societal game changer that I was thinking....but, yes, and here are four other things you could print

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-4-worst-things-people-are-making-with-3d-printers/
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »
Exactly , why go too home depot when you can make a screw or your own tool at home ... its so much more complex I know , its staggering what the implications are .
everything about the above sentence makes sense except the "home depot" part. ??? giggle. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »
I am skeptical we will be able to print healthy and tasty food. Maybe in some hazy hazy Matrix like future, I suppose.
Like those spaceage kitchens in futurama films of the 50s and 60s.  Press a button, get a pineapple upside down cake, baked alaska, or glazed ham.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:52:32 pm »
I am skeptical we will be able to print healthy and tasty food. Maybe in some hazy hazy Matrix like future, I suppose.
Like those spaceage kitchens in futurama films of the 50s and 60s.  Press a button, get a pineapple upside down cake, baked alaska, or glazed ham.

It will change the lexicon of some popular phrases , strange food will now taste like rubber chicken .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 01:11:32 am »
Wouldn't a printer have to be specific?  You could have a printer that has all the components to make a screw, but it wouldn't be able to print a lamp.  How would it wire a lamp?  How would a printer produce a Tylenol, unless it had all the chemical compounds to make it?  Certainly, you couldn't just print an IPad.

It seems these would have to just print basic and specific things.  Your plumber needs a certain size of PVC pipe.  The printer would need to be filled with PVC pellets to make it.  I don't see how we would all have a printer that makes a toaster, a TV, or even clothing.  Those things are made up by so many parts.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:28:23 am »
Wouldn't a printer have to be specific?  You could have a printer that has all the components to make a screw, but it wouldn't be able to print a lamp.  How would it wire a lamp?  How would a printer produce a Tylenol, unless it had all the chemical compounds to make it?  Certainly, you couldn't just print an IPad.

It seems these would have to just print basic and specific things.  Your plumber needs a certain size of PVC pipe.  The printer would need to be filled with PVC pellets to make it.  I don't see how we would all have a printer that makes a toaster, a TV, or even clothing.  Those things are made up by so many parts.
When you print it
You are correct , its very specific . It can print with pretty much any thing you put in a cartridge similar to the one the ink was in . That's what's so awesome about these printers , one day doctors will be able to use stem cells and print you a new organ or body part .

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:33:13 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:48:32 am »
I'm sure 3D printers are fascinating.  Of course it would concern me if it meant replacing people in manufacturing jobs.  Mainly because I live right next door to Elkhart, IN, which is (was) the RV capital of the world.  So many people's lives went down the shitter when the economy hit the skids.  What resulted was rising crime, and food pantries continually running out of food, with ongoing requests for help on local news shows.  These jobs provided an upper middle class income, and when the jobs were gone, the local community college's enrollment went through the roof.  It still resulted in people not being able to find jobs due to so many people having the same certifications, different skill levels etc. 

So while I do agree 3D printers would be amazing if it came to replacing vitally needed organs, I would not agree with programming them to replace "people" jobs.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:36 am »

I heard a radio show recently that was discussing how you could print adult toys with your favorite celebrity's head on them...there is a thought....

But which celebrity's head? Big Head or little head? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:55 am »
So while I do agree 3D printers would be amazing if it came to replacing vitally needed organs, I would not agree with programming them to replace "people" jobs.

3d printing would likely bring manufacturing jobs back to the us, and be more regional.  Instead of manufacturing one product in a few plants in the world, a company could have a 3d printing company manufacture them in hundreds of locations and be able to tailor the product (size, color, features), etc. to the local market and reduce the shipping and packaging costs.

But which celebrity's head? Big Head or little head? ;D

The beauty is that you get to choose... who is your fantasy, and what size?
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 06:08:20 pm »
3d printing would likely bring manufacturing jobs back to the us, and be more regional.

I just get a bit nervous when talk starts about "replacing" real people.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:32 pm »
I just get a bit nervous when talk starts about "replacing" real people.

Sadly the replacing of people has been going on for decades.  Try watching "Factory Made" or "How it's Made" and see how much machinery/robots have replaced people, especially in regards to manufacturing.  Where hundreds of folks used to make one car, now it only takes a few dozen to make the car, from fabricating the parts to final assembly.

As for 3D printers, I think they represent the rise of the machines.  I could see using them to create nano-bots that would build new printers, to make more bots.  You could use them to explore the universe.  Send a few on ships that could harvest space material and keep making bots and sending them to every reach of the universe.  Reality wise, I don't think anyone has even begun to tap the potential of this technology and the others that surely will follow.

Joe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:43 am »
Look up 3 D Printers in the Medical field, amazing.

Offline pat_fd

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
Hello,
this is a very interesting topic and it can be compared to the Industrial Revolution or the Internet Revolution of the 90s.
There is one thing I can't understand and I would appreciate if someone explains.
In 2D printing we print on a piece of paper or on a synthetic material.
In 3D we will copy an original item. What material will be used to produce the copy?
Plastic?
Please explain.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 11:49:48 am »
This is pretty amazing, the possibilities are endless...

Researchers Develop 3-D Printed Lithium-Ion Batteries As Small As A Grain Of Sand.

USA Today (6/20, Brewster) reported, “At just a millimeter in width, a new battery built by a Harvard University and University of Illinois team is perfectly suited to be a power source for” small devices. “It is also the first battery to ever be fabricated with a 3D printer.”

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline randym431

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 02:56:09 am »
I'll probably have to get one.
That is when the Home Shopping Network channel carries them.
Imagine their sales pitch.
Oh... Can I still refill the ink cartridges at Walgreens?
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:47 pm »
This is pretty amazing . http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/09/14/dnt-illinois-3d-printed-car.wgn.html

I just saw that on the news.  I thought many would be confused and think the printer made the tires, the motor, and the speedometer.  Very cool, though.  40mph

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 05:53:46 pm »
I bet in 50 years they we will be printing body parts ... and I don't mean dildos either  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 06:25:53 pm »
That's  a stock I would buy.

I bet in 50 years they we will be printing body parts ... and I don't mean dildos either  .

In fifty years I will be 90 years old and would probably appreciate a printed dildo. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
That's  a stock I would buy.

In fifty years I will be 90 years old and would probably appreciate a printed dildo. 

Its a no brainer that they will be monogrammed .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:29 pm »
I bet in 50 years they we will be printing body parts ...

Jeff, you will not have to wait 50 years...these guys are working hard to make it happen much sooner:

www.organovo.com/tissues-services

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 07:20:55 pm »
I knew they were working with stem cells and printing and have already have printed working mice hearts .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »
I remain intrigued by the advances in building enhanced life-like robots with resplendent attributes and a menu of personalities and hybrid mixtures.

;)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline drewm

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 07:44:58 pm »
Game changer without question. This may be the biggest technology jump since the advent of the P.C.
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 08:11:06 pm »
I remain intrigued by the advances in building enhanced life-like robots with resplendent attributes and a menu of personalities and hybrid mixtures.

;)

I just want the Orgasmatron from Woody Allen's movie Sleeper....
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 08:16:29 pm »
Game changer without question. This may be the biggest technology jump since the advent of the P.C.

Yup, bio printing - at the cellular level combined with nanotechnology will change the world in ways that we can not imagine.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »
I was talking to some people a few years ago about the 3d printer and they totally failed to get how big of a game changer this is going to be . I wonder should we be investing in plastic pellets yet .

The medical possibilities are what I am in awe of . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dan0

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »
The medical applications of this are really inspiring. The other Applications are just plain terrifying.  Who needs a background check when you can print your own. You won't need to smuggle anything INTO the country because you could 'print (conceivably) it here. For all the positive steps we take forward, there are always those lurking in the shadows to put it to a use less than philanthropic.

It may be a game changer in more ways than one.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 09:44:48 pm »
Dano ... no one would ever use technology to hurt people ... no way  ;) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.