Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:25:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 446
Total: 446

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My biggest fear coming true already  (Read 15753 times)

Offline fearless

Re: My biggest fear coming true already
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 09:07:47 pm »
Philly,

for what it is worth, first time disclosure is often but not always the hardest.
Before you get yourself in this situation again can i recommend you try it a couple of times with friends or something, or someone you meet in a bar etc. it's never easy but does get easier, and i'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with most people's reaction. Most times I've received a thanks for your honesty response. They may politely withdraw after that and you may have some feeling of rejection/isolation. but it ain't the end of the world.
Your new to all this so your fear is understandable. but confront it and take control, don't let fear control you. give it a go and don't let this virus beat you.
i do wish you all the best.
Fearless.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 09:44:30 pm »
Hey Philly,

I disclosed on the first date to a person I met on a dating site.  I have had AIDS for 12 years, he is negative.  Our first date was last February and I wrote about every thought process and action, here in the Forums.  He is in San Francisco, (over an hour away) and 7 months later, he is still active in my life as I am in his.

In the past 12 years, I have lived HIV alone except for my Case Managers of which the 2 former Case Managers are still close friends and the support from these forums.  Last Spring, I started feeling loved and still do because, he is with me every day by phone or email and taking an active role in my care and my life.  He has offer and provided help in health issues which are above and beyond what a casual friend would do.  We are having the grandest time in a new relationship, which is growing every day.

Many of the same Forum members who are advising you had done the same for me when I was in your place.  Please add me to the number of Forum members who advised me to disclose and see what happens next.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Philly1972

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2008, 08:07:42 pm »
I was so proud of myself (and friends were proud of me) at how well I handled this - I didn't let it get me down and kept such a positive attitude (no pun intended).  Now I feel like that has been reversed and the reality of the situation has just hit me.  This episode has made me realize how this f**king disease is going to impact my life and make finding someone even more challenging - as if it hasn't been challenging enough. 

I know I shouldn't feel this way but I do.  This on top of the loss of someone I thought I could have something with has really got me down.  I hate this!  I keep wondering why this couldn't have happened last summer before a stupid, unfortunate accident changed my life.

Offline jojodiablo

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 09:51:13 pm »
I was so proud of myself (and friends were proud of me) at how well I handled this - I didn't let it get me down and kept such a positive attitude (no pun intended).  Now I feel like that has been reversed and the reality of the situation has just hit me.  This episode has made me realize how this f**king disease is going to impact my life and make finding someone even more challenging - as if it hasn't been challenging enough. 

I know I shouldn't feel this way but I do.  This on top of the loss of someone I thought I could have something with has really got me down.  I hate this!  I keep wondering why this couldn't have happened last summer before a stupid, unfortunate accident changed my life.

I know i am a bit late at a chime in, but here it goes anyway. As you said several tims in your post someone who is 22 is still a "kid" and not old enough to make this decison and blah blah blah and i know this should be taken on a person by person basis, but i am personaly 22 and my partner is 20+ years my senior, and we have spent a wonderful 9 months together. But if it would have came about with him not letting me make the decision of us being together due to an issue such as his status, i would have been more upset to not have the choice by being lied to.

Offline mpls_apple

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 09:50:10 pm »
THe way i see things in your case or anybodys case is if someone doesn't want to date you because of HIV take the following steps:

STEP 1 realize that yeah, if they are uneducated about HIV/AIDS it can be a   scary thing to think about dating, but offer to EDUCATE THEM!

STEP 2  if after some education they are still scared it probly shows that they are a shallow/niave person and you would prob. be running into bigger issues in the future than your hiv status...move on
dreams can be deceiving, like faces are to hearts.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.