Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:08:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 294
Total: 295

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: how did I get infected  (Read 13304 times)

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
how did I get infected
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »
I thought I got infected in the navy but after testing they said I was fine,
just got a copy of my service record and it showed I was tested for hiv.
But in the top corner it stats dont show in big letters.  Dont show to who me or anyone I Think its a cover up to kick me out so they
dont have to pay for me. Rob
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:47:51 pm by bigrob37 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: how did I get infected
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:32:14 am »
But in the top corner it stats dont show in big letters.  Dont show to who me or anyone I Think its a cover up to kick me out so they

Why would they have to pay you because you contracted HIV in the Navy? It's not the Navy's fault you contracted HIV.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:47:31 am »

Not sure if I understand what you are asking....

Are you saying they kicked you out because you have HIV?  My friend is an officer in the Air Force and from what he has told me there are people in the military who have HIV and receive medical care for it.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:34 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking either Rob.  Are you saying when you went into the Navy you were HIV- and had no risk behavior and all of a sudden tested positive?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:54:42 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking either Rob.  Are you saying when you went into the Navy you were HIV- and had no risk behavior and all of a sudden tested positive?
when I joined the navy I was fine got shot in desert storm had a blood transfusion two years later when my time was almost up. tested postive for hiv I had six months left and they kicked me out early. On my departure they said I wasnt infected and I went on my way and now 18 years later I am sick as a dog. Got my service record last week and it shows I got tested for hiv and then theres missing paper work and on one of them its marked classified and says dont show. I think it was a cover up so they wouldnt have to pay disablity. and when I was a free man I got tested to be sure and there was nothing in my blood. that was back in the early 90's its just wierd to me

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:58:13 pm »

Not sure if I understand what you are asking....

Are you saying they kicked you out because you have HIV?  My friend is an officer in the Air Force and from what he has told me there are people in the military who have HIV and receive medical care for it.
ya thats what I am saying but they sent me to san diego to get retested and after a week there, they discharged me. Never gave me the results and when I got tested at the health department later on it came back negative. And now 18 years later I am sick as hell. I did get my service record and it showed tested for hiv but everything is marked classified on all medical records. I dont think hiv was very knew in 1990

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:06:11 pm »

Ok just for clarification, you are saying that the Navy said you had HIV after your blood transfusion, but after you got out you tested negative?  Now 18 years later you are testing positive, am I correct?

To tell the truth how you were infected or when does not matter at this point anymore.  I understand any anger or confusion you may have.  It's pretty normal for those newly diagnosed to have these types of questions.  I know I did, well at least the anger part I mean. 

I saw in another thread how low your CD4's are and right now may not be the time to waste energy on these thoughts of why, how, or who for that matter.  Don't stress over the whys, ifs, and maybes... it just adds to the frustration of it all.  Something you do not need at this time.

Take care of yourself my friend...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:10:17 pm by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:16 pm »
ya thats what I am saying but they sent me to san diego to get retested and after a week there, they discharged me. Never gave me the results and when I got tested at the health department later on it came back negative. And now 18 years later I am sick as hell. I did get my service record and it showed tested for hiv but everything is marked classified on all medical records. I dont think hiv was very knew in 1990

If you tested negative at the health department after your discharge, as long as it was three months after any risk (transfusion or unprotected intercourse), then you weren't hiv positive back then.

Have you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with anyone since your last negative result? It sure doesn't sound like you were positive when discharged. If you were, you would have tested positive at the health department after your discharge.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 03:42:32 pm »
Could you please clarify the time line.
Is this correct:
1) First, you were tested when you went into the navy - result: HIV -
2) You were shot - wounded
3) You had a blood transfusion.
4) Then, while you were still in the navy, you tested HIV+
(4a) Then they tested you again and told you you were negative?)
5) Then, they sent you to San Diego, tested you, did not give you the results and discharged you.
6) Then you tested negative at a Health Department.

Then we see eventually you do have HIV and you wanted your records and you got one marked "Don't Show."  And also missing records.

If you need the disability benefits or the Vets care, or something from the Military at this point, financially, the paper trail from the military seems pretty fishy.  But how on earth could you get a positive result and a negative result and not ask questions of your military doctor??  Its possible you had a "false positive" on one test during your service.  The "Don't Show" might have been to protect your privacy.

But, its also weird - the test with no results giving, and also that you would test negative after your discharge.  The whole story is odd...

Rather than live with this eating at you, can you get a lawyer to investigate?  Or is something incorrect in the way we are understanding it?

But I tend to agree with others - if financially possible, give this investigation a rest until you are stronger.  Or hand it over for someone else to pursue, if you need something now from the military. 

You, personally, need to focus on getting better in the here and now.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:00:05 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:37:30 am »
If what you are looking for from the Military is VA Health Benefits it doesn't matter where & when you contracted HIV.  If you are eliligable you have full benefits.
Or are you trying to say something else here???

Offline HereIAm

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 01:52:53 pm »
This topic caught my eye.  Of course, I wonder the same thing:  "How did I get infected."  The ID Doctor and the people at the Clinic told me that this is a common thing for newly tested folks to wonder.  And, wonder I do.

My ex swears to be not have the virus.  But, frankly I split from him for continual infidelity.  So, in that regard, I am completely not surprised to find I have HIV.  But, you know, in the face of his amazing denial I ask really?  Even irrationally... where did I get it, then?

Clearly, knowing my history as I do, there is only ONE possibility.  Just one.  It is the obvious one.  And, the obvious answer is he is again not being honest.  Because, clearly, I didn't get it from the toilet seat.  :-)

But, you know:  where?  when?  how?  These questions frequent my mind, at least for now.
Tested Positive 10 Sept 2008.
24 Sept 2008:  CD 4: 23;   1%;  VL: 770,709
1st Oct 2008:  Started Atripla
4 Dec 2008:  CD 4: 145; 8%, VL: 209
1 March 2009:  CD 4: 91; 8%, VL: 49 (undet)
1 June 2009:  CD 4: 164; 11%, VL: 61
8 July 2011:  CD 4: 286; 17%, VL Undet
28 Oct 2011: CD 4: 346; 21%, VL Undet
2 Mar 2012: CD 4: 316; 20%, VL 6800 (probably an error)
12 Apr 2012: CD 4: 333; 21%, VL Undet

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:59:16 am »
But in the top corner it stats don't show in big letters.  Dont show to who me or anyone I Think its a cover up to kick me out so they

1st of all the normal procedures for a newly infected active duty member and I'm pretty sure that the Navy or any service would've kicked you out for being HIV+. How do I know this? Although I tested positive in 2002 the normal procedure is to test all servicemembers for an HIV blood test annually they send the specimen off via mail to whatever lab facility and perform a initial Elisa test even if you test poz for that test that doesn't mean you have HIV, so they perform another Elisa test which is more sensitive than the first one if that tests poz then a Western Blot test is performed which will then confirm you have HIV.

The next step is to notify your unit Commanding Officer/OIC by a classified message and he/she will sit down with you in private and have a chaplain available if needed to notify you that you have tested poz for HIVwhich then you will be referred the nearest major Military Regional Hospital which depending on where you are based at the time of the positive test they will send you to the nearest one (Bethesda, Portsmouth, San Diego) on reimbursable TAD/TDY orders  for 2 weeks of a initial HIV evaluation at the Infectious Disease clinic. The 2 weeks consist of another confirmatory HIV blood test and a full STD panel on the 1st day, indoctrination with the clinic nurse, a full physical from a Infectious Disease doctor and going thru your full medical history and  later reviewing your lab results, you get a Psychiatric screening, sit down with a social worker, required to attend daily group sessions with the social workers and HIV+ people which consist of active duty persons and/or retired military persons also doing their initial evals or semi annual checkups. You also are required to attend daily classes on things like HIV research, how to use condoms etc.., spirituality, HIV Meds, and a few others I cant remember.

HIV Instruction
http://study.schleppingsquid.net/Files/Pubs/SECNAVINST-5300.30C.pdf

http://www-nmcphc.med.navy.mil/downloads/hp/hivpolicy.pdf

So if you would have tested poz while active duty then you would have gone TAD/TDY seeing docs and other key people while your day is filled with educating you on your status and other people around to support you and answer questions if needed while you wait around for all your various test results even if you were getting discharged you would have had to gone through this.  You may have had a a false positive but you havent provided enough details so I am not sure what you are saying so perhaps you could explain some more.

You said that you went to San Diego and never got the results? They should have told you that you were poz or not besides there were other people going thru the HIV unit as early as 1985 IIRC why would they hide it from you? Did you ask questions? It is your right to know your health and despite your medical record being classifield from the public you can make copies of everything if you want. I made copies of my records at my request. The VA or whoever keeps your medical archives should have all of your records of tests etc...

I know some people that have been poz since the 80's and they either served out careers or were medically retired if they fell below the guidelines either OI's or the T-Cells count was below a certain amount. In 1990 even if HIV was fairly new they would've treated you if you tested poz then. BTW the Navy doesn't pay you disabilty IIRC the VA does so the Navy would've had nothing to loose. The best advice woud have been to keep documentation of everything in your medical record even if your not sure that way if something does come up you can exercise your full VA benefits you do have that right. My advice is to see if you can use the VA medical benefits.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:38:36 am by Mike89406 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.