Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:16:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 241
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ACA and Tier 5  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Beamish

ACA and Tier 5
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:48:35 am »
Hello Gang, new troller on the boards here.

I'm Greg and was diagnosed in 1991. 

For the last 10+ years I have been on Reyataz+Viramune+Viread. 

Have been fortunate enough most of my adult life to have good employer insurance.  Faced a termination in 2010, and when COBRA ran out, I went on to State High Risk Pool until this year, and have been on ADAP since the spring.

In the past, whether it was employer insurance, indy, COBRA or HRP, my meds have always been covered by co-pay.  In recent years, carriers have forced me over to "specialty pharmacies" and the co-pays have gone up, but they were still co-pays.

Now after reviewing the coupla-dozen plans that healthcare-dot-gov presented me with, EVERY ONE of those plans, from bronze to platinum, has all TIER 5 meds on 30% COINSURANCE.

So my regimen which I am used to paying $100+/- in copays, will now be more than $1,000 per month.

I'll say on the upfront, I know I am fortunate; a lot better off than a lot of our compatriots here.  I've survived 20+ years, usually with a solid HC support base.  Only in recent years have I been financially distressed. 

But here are my questions at this moment:

• Has Tier 5 in the past been excluded from co-pays?
  • Saw somewhere here that ADAP may not drop if you have some insurance. True? My clinic say it will drop.
  • Are there other features of RW besides ADAP that I should look into?  I hear some of you saying "I receive both RW and ADAP..." 

Greg Out..
No Footer Yet
CD4: 1780  VL: <5
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:05:22 am by Beamish »

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
Re: ACA and Tier 5
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:58:39 am »
Hi Greg,
Welcome in from the dark!
Generally speaking, ADAP (AIDS Drugs Assistance Program) covers med co-pays.  They sometimes pay the premiums on COBRA policies and Medicare, depending on your state.  The program is means-tested, and the eligibility varies by state, but you can usually qualify with a relatively high (for disabled people) income.  ADAP considers itself the payer of last resort, so you need some other type of insurance to compliment it.  It is a state-run program, though, so whether ADAP would drop you depends on the rules in your state.
Ryan White is an umbrella law (it covers a lot) that provides, among other things, funding for medical services for people with HIV.  It is heavily means-tested, so only people with very low income usually qualify.  When someone says they are getting RW, it means they get their care from a RW funded clinic, and ADAP likely covers their meds.
If you've been out of work since 2010, it might be time to consider applying for SSDI.  When you are over 50 (just a guess, apologies if it doesn't apply yet) you would be eligible for a new set of assumptions regarding your employability.  In practical terms that means you might qualify even if you've had only relatively minor health problems.  I mention this because SSDI means eligibility for Medicare (2 1/2 years later, however) which would solve the insurance problems you've listed.  If you want to pursue that route, speak to a local attorney.  Not a non-attorney rep for this one, though.  It might need to go to a hearing.
Also, have you applied for all the subsidies on the exchange that you night be eligible for?  That could take out some of the sting.
Best of luck!
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline Beamish

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 03:53:54 pm »
Thank you JR.  That gives great clarity on RW/ADAP, thanks the SSDI advice is helpful. and yes, i'm 50½.   :P 

What I am really most curious about is whether Tier 5 Meds have a history of being excluded from copay, or whether it is a new adjustment from carriers to compensate from the other losses ACA is creating for them. 

Yes, I have included the tax subsidies available.  In general, the premiums are not bad, but the deductibles are averaging at what was once a high deductible. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:56:16 pm by Beamish »

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:39:15 am »
Private insurance companies have free reign to set their own prices for drugs, and to create any tier structure they want.  Specialty drugs (tier 5 or 4, depending on the company) almost always require special handling and sometimes have hefty co-pays, which is why it pays to shop around.
I don't think what you're running into is related to the ACA in any real way, though.  Private insurers now have to pay a certain percentage of their annual revenues out in benefits every year, or return that money to the insureds, as opposed to passing it along as a dividend to the stock holders.  So there's no sound business reason to jack up their prices.  In my humble opinion!  :)
Is it political?  I can't say.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:09:13 pm »
Welcome Greg and thanks for your inquiry and JR for your replies. 

This information is helpful to me as I have started a new job but currently carry COBRA and am pleased with the benefits.  I am working to transition to the company sponsored insurance. I see the small company plan requires that the employee pays part of the monthly premium (pre-tax at about $120), co-pays, and mail order 90 day supply pharmacy.  I also saw a pre-existing condition section that notes delayed insurance eligibility for a period in the benefits summary I need clarified.

Bottom line, it seems that I will pay a bit more money out of pocket than I have paid in the past thus reducing my take home pay. I also need to understand the company insurance coverage relevance and adherence to the ACA rules along with any other possible options. Will get more details this coming week after meeting with HR. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:12:58 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.