Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 615
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: high triglycerides  (Read 14145 times)

Offline pinkadam

high triglycerides
« on: May 03, 2008, 05:36:26 pm »
Hello friends. I have been on medication for a 19 months. Iam on sustiva and truvada. When i checked my previous labs , i noticed high triglycerides.
I have been undetectable and my T cell is 230 (i started meds when my T cells are 50)

My ID thinks its not a big deal but when i reseached online , it might cause heart attack.

Iam 39 years 5"10 and i weight 160pounds and i jogg 5 times a week. According to my ID iam in very good shape and he says its not a big deal about high triglycerides.
I insisted that he need to do something about it. So he prescribed me card liver oil tablets. Now iam trying to figure out if my ID is doing his job.

What you guys think. I thank you ahead for all your valuble opinions.

Pink

Offline sharkdiver

Re: high triglycerides
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:56:43 pm »
I have high triglycerides due to the meds. I am very active and have a good diet, etc.
With high triglycerides comes the risk of pancreatitus. I have had it 3 times over the past 2 years, each time requiring hospitalization. It is very painful and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 07:04:47 pm »
Many HIV patients have high triglycerides, and for long periods of time.  The key is HOW high.

Normal is 149 or less; mine are 226 (down from 269 a few months ago).  I take 2000mg omega 3 fish oil each day, per my doctor's recommendation.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:16:18 pm »
Sorry, Philly is right

I didn't mean to scare you or cause you anxiety. I left out important information. My triglycerides are currently at 2200 (down from 3100) that is extremely high which puts me at risk of pancreatitus. And yes I do the fish oil and cholesterol meds

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:49:59 pm »
Damn sharkie, that IS high.  Can we assume that you're on some type of prescription medication for this as well?  I'd question how much a mere supplement can do with that number.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:46:29 am »
I have high triglycerides, though I can't remember the number right now.  They're not a high as Sharkie's though.  Wow.  I don't know if there's a medication specifically targeted for high triglycerides, besides fish oil.  Is there?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:10 am »
If you take a med for cholesterol it should also lower your triglycerides number, correct?  It's all connected.  I know Gemfibrozil does this.

Anyway, before OP pinkadam returns for more discussion I would add that I see that he's not on any protease inhibitor, and that's generally the HIV class of med connected with rising lipid panel issues, so I'm still wondering how high his number is and how connected this issue (for him specifically) is connected to HIV/meds or is just something that would be happening otherwise, due to dietary intake of saturated fats.

It's also known that HIV infection itself causes higher triglyceride numbers:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/aids_triglycerides_lipodystrophy_1667_14380.shtml

(also, according to this article my own high triglyceride numbers are most likely due to my daily intake of Norvir)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:01:37 pm by philly267 »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 01:43:41 pm »
I read through all the lessons on here about 5 or 6 months ago as I was meditating joining in and I seem to recall .. .  Ah, here it is

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Hyperlipidemia_4815.shtml

Hmmm . . . looks like it may need to be updated wrt to Zetia not being shown to be very effective at reducing heart attack risk, but the main point for this discussion was that there are some cholesterol lowering drugs that work mainly on LDL cholesterol, some that work mainly on triglycerides (incluiding fibrates like Gemfibrizol -- note to Philly that they don't seem to be very keen on Gemfibrizol for people on PI's and NNRTI's) and some that work on both.

Hey Pinkadam -- My triglycerides are somewhat higher than Philly's (289) but nowhere near Sharkie's.  My docs aren't obsessing, although I expect they will move me from Pravachol to Lipitor to see if we can do better.

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 10:43:57 pm »
Yeah Mine are scary high and yes I am on lopid/Gemfibizil as well as the cod liver oil. All of my lipids (you don't want to know what my cholesterol numbers are) are going down rather slowly.  i will probably have to make the major dietary changes that were suggested a few months ago (45 gm carbs, 45 gm good fats and the rest protein)
The other option is switching meds, but I'm kinda coming towards the end of my "shopping list" of meds. But anyways... didn't mean to hijack and ... I hope I didn't scare pinkadam off.

Sharkie

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:01:00 am »
You should check with your doc, but Efavirenz can cause elevated triglycerides, and other adverse blood lipids.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 10:41:40 am »
Hey Sharkie,

Not to hijack the thread, but are you taking fish oil or cod liver oil? They are different and do different things.

Hey Pink, same question. Cod liver oil is different from fish oil. While it does contain Omega 3 fatty acids, it also contains high levels of Vitamins A and D.

Overdoing Vitamin A can cause problems.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminA/index.html#safety

So, check with your doc. Does he want you to take cod liver oil or fish oil?

The amount of fish oil I take (6,000 milligrams or 6 grams, whichever you prefer) is the maximum recommended daily dosage, according to my doctor.

Just wondering what type of fish oil you're taking.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:25:47 am »
Hey Sharkie,

Not to hijack the thread, but are you taking fish oil or cod liver oil? They are different and do different things.

Hey Pink, same question. Cod liver oil is different from fish oil. While it does contain Omega 3 fatty acids, it also contains high levels of Vitamins A and D.

The amount of fish oil I take (6,000 milligrams or 6 grams, whichever you prefer) is the maximum recommended daily dosage, according to my doctor.

HUGS,

Mark

oops

I meant the fish oill not the nasty cod liver oill. Once again I'm taking away from this guys thread.  i'll start another one.

BobF

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 04:18:41 pm »
HI ... I, too, take Gemfibrozil along with Crestor and Niaspan.   The #'s are going up (except for the "good" cholesterol) since I started Atripla last year.   I agree that cholesterol and triglycerides are something to definitely keep an eye on, with your Doc.

Good luck!
Bob

Offline pinkadam

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 06:32:29 pm »
Hi Mark

I have been assuming both fish oil and cad lever oil are same. i need to checj my prescription to find out the medication he prescribed me.

My triglycerides is 275. Iam in any danger ?

thx
Pink

Hey Sharkie,

HUGS,

Mark

Offline aztecan

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »
Hey Pink,

My triglycerides were at 261 last time I had them checked. The doc wasn't too concerned about it. Mine have hovered between 350 and 225 for years.

Are you at risk? I would ask your doc, but in the short term I think you are doing OK. Sharkie ended up with pancreatitis from his high triglycerides, but remember his were in the thousands (2,200), not the hundreds like ours 261 or 275).

So, I would check with your doctor about the fish oil and ask him/her about taking some exercise. It really can help sometimes. At the very least, it will probably make you feel better.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:51:39 pm by aztecan »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 10:34:32 pm »
 I just got my lipids results back this week and my triglycerides are 686 .
 My cholesterol is 227 .
 These numbers are despite medication  , proper diet , and exercise and are half of what they
  were a year ago .
  I am at a loss as how to bring them down to a normal level .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:44:13 am »
I just got my lipids results back this week and my triglycerides are 686 .
 My cholesterol is 227 .
 These numbers are despite medication  , proper diet , and exercise and are half of what they
  were a year ago .
  I am at a loss as how to bring them down to a normal level .

Wow.  What medication are you on?  My triglycerides are always elevated, but my doctor said that's because of the diabetes.  Aren't you diabetic as well, Jg?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:00:51 am »
Hey Betty...Yeah I'm a type 2 diabetic . I take lovastatin and fish oil .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline randym431

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 02:16:07 am »
Just came across this thread from May 08.
It looks like my triglycerides are going up too.
This lab they were at 300. Before triglycerides were not an issue
or anything the doc talked about.
One thing, on these latest labs, I did not fast. Usually they ask me if I did
or tell me to, but not this time so I didn’t.
I told the doc I did not fast and could that maybe cause higher triglycerides?
He, like usual in his own evasive way, replied “well... maybe”.
Not a very firm answer.
I do take one fish oil a day, pretty low dosage.
I'm also on sustiva and epizcom, which are not triglycerides friendly
from what I hear.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline aztecan

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 12:03:54 pm »
I am facing the issues right now. I have just had to stop taking my cholesterol meds (Pravastatin, Zetia) because they are causing a rather nasty side effect that could lead to serious consequences.

I know that high sugar intake can increase a person's triglycerides. So, I am going to start using Splenda in my coffee and tea.

I won't go nuts over this, like cutting out all sugar or something, but a little harm reduction couldn't hurt.

There is a medication for high triglycerides called Tricor. I know several people taking it. I don't because, while a bit high, my triglycerides were never that high.

Hey Pink, did you ever ask your doctor about the fish oil, etc.?

Just checking.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 11:48:44 pm »
Mini's triglycerides and cholesterol are high and have been for a long time.  What prompted her PID to check was when the lab sent her a note that said Mini's blood was "cloudy"..YIKES!  She sees a cardiologist / lipid doc every 3mths for a fasting panel.  She's on 1000mg of fish oil / day, cut off all sugar (she's a walking Splenda ad), and diagnosed diabetic, and she takes 2 doses of FiberSure / day (the powder stuff) and eats double fiber bread.  Even with all of this, and being off of Susteva, she's still elevated. 

Her docs are less worried about her high triglycerides as they are the fact her LDL is nearly twice her HDL.  But, all her echos have come out normal, so they are mored worried about the long-term effects and the fact that we can't get them under control.

Mum (who has decided that high tris are just par for the course)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 06:09:56 pm »
Hello

High tris are not reason enough to change meds and/or add some kind of other agent to lower triglycerides.

High triglycerides are linked to increasing the risk of heart disease. For each increase of 1.1 mmols/L the 10-year risk of a heart attack increases by about 25% in men and 60% in women. This is over your baseline risk, which will vary from person to person.

Although there is a lot of individual variability target fasted levels of under 2.2 mmol/L are considered normal and of 2.2-4.4 mmol/L are borderline. Above this, the risk of heart disease increases. Levels above 11 mmol/L are considered very high. (soz, these is European units, for USA multiply by 100 to giv ml/dL).

You need to take other factors into account.

The alternatives may not deliver a better picture. Most PIs raise some kind of cholesterol, although Reyataz and perhaps Prezista are better in this respect. Abacavir use doubles the risk of heart attack according to recent analysis from the D:A:AD study. If your baseline risk of heart attack over the next 10 years is low, like 1-2% this may not be important, but if its higher it may be.

Bottom line:

1. you need to look at all risk factors (family history, body mass index, diet, age, gender, smoking, exercise etc)

2. If high tris still concern you, diet/supplements/additional meds/a change of combo are perfectly reasonable things to do

- matt
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:42:48 am by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline panda

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 02:59:28 am »
wheat grass !!!! this will help u so  much ...
I also handle the high levels of lipids, the problem with the wheat grass is the taste.. its not pills u actually have to drik it but boy it worth it... u should get it every morning on empty stomach, I take like 3/4 glass... i did it for like a full month and then went to take my blood test and the results were much much better... so now I am starting it all over again, i am about a week with this weath grass... i will continue for another week and then I will go for the blood test..

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »
Think Matt hit it clearly on the head. Our ability to modify our trig levels (and cholesterol) may involve lifestyle changes even if the cause is not genetic but med effects. This is no easy task, speaking for myself - I've added supplements, changed my diet, take Lipitor. With the increased energy levels and waning fatigue, maybe I'll make time and effort to incorporate some exercise, which has plenty of benefits.
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Pippet

• Life is drawing without an eraser.
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 03:14:27 pm »
My triglycerides got as high as 540 but I got back down to "normal" by cutting back on the hard liquor and watching my fat and sugar intake.   I have to be vigilant about it or they shoot back up again.

Be well, Pip
Diagnosed Aug. 2006
CD4 246, VL 202,000
Started Truvada/ Viramune 11-23-06
Taken off meds 12-06-06 (Bad Rash)
Started Truvada/ Reyataz, Norvir 1-18-07
Taken off Norvir 3-1-07 (Jaundice)
New doc 3-22-07
CD4 229  VL 1031
My latest cocktail...  Truvada and Kaletra (4-6-07)
CD4 289 VL 350 (5-15-07)
CD4 308 VL 115 (8-06-07)
CD4 349 VL 511 (11-5-07)
CD4 489 VL 383 (2-4-08)
CD4 483 VL <50 (5-6-08) YEAH
CD4 545 VL 108 (9-12-08)
CD4 409 VL <48 (1-27-09) YEAH
CD4 505 VL <48 (5-20-09)
CD4 385 VL <48 (9-15-09)
CD4 609 VL  159 (2-28-10)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.