Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:08:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 625
Total: 627

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone else with low t-cells/low viral load?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline MarkInSF

Anyone else with low t-cells/low viral load?
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:15:29 pm »
I was diagnosed with HIV in May 2005 and my first set of labs were 250 t-cells and 4K viral load.  Tested again a month later and I was at 375 t-cells and 3.5k viral load.  Throughout the next series of tests, my t-cells continued to drop and my viral load would stay between 4K and 1K.  My doctor put me on meds when my t-cells dropped to 177 and my viral load went down to 2000.  Im confused why my t-cells drop so low even with a constant low viral load.  Could it be that I have a stronger strain of the virus????  That was one question I forgot to ask my doctor today.  Does anyone else have this issue? 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:18:14 pm by MarkInSF »

Offline Razorbill

Re: Anyone else with low t-cells/low viral load?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:35:38 pm »
Undetectable VL is the goal of treatment.  Your tcells rebounded a bit then slid, in the presence of a persistant VL.  Your doc put you on treatment probably to zero out the virus so to speak and boost your tcells.  Low tcells in the presence of a VL can spell trouble.

Offline MarkInSF

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:49:59 pm »
Undetectable VL is the goal of treatment.  Your tcells rebounded a bit then slid, in the presence of a persistant VL.  Your doc put you on treatment probably to zero out the virus so to speak and boost your tcells.  Low tcells in the presence of a VL can spell trouble.

Indeed the meds worked, my t-cells went up to 344 and my viral load down to the 100's.  My main concern is there are people with 100,000+ viral load and maintained a good t-cell count.  Does that mean I have a stronger virus?

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:11:16 pm »
Hi Mark.

My main concern is there are people with 100,000+ viral load and maintained a good t-cell count.  Does that mean I have a stronger virus?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what that means.  It's a good question. I have seen quite a few people with consistently low viral loads, like yours, yet the t-cells still take a dive and medication is mandated.  I like your idea, that the viral load, while not aggressive in numbers, is apparently a particularly virulent one.  Maybe it's the strain.  Apparently, also. not all HIV is same. 

HOw about your CD4 %?  It's important to keep track of those too.  By the way, do you use the "COOL TOOLS" here at Aidsmeds?  It's a great way of keeping track of your numbers.

robert

Offline MarkInSF

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:02:44 am »
Robert,

Forgot to ask the doctor about my CD4%, I guess we both were excited after my t-cells have doubled in one month that we forgot to discuss that hehe.  Also, thanks for the tip about "COOL TOOLS," I will definitely use it to keep track of my numbers.

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.