Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:05:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773194
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 257
Total: 260

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surgery scheduled Oct 30th  (Read 9618 times)

Dan J.

Surgery scheduled Oct 30th
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:43:18 pm »
I have been having a recurring bladder infection for the past 2 years. I wanted to get my every three month lab work done so the results would be back before I leave for Belgium on Nov.1st. My urinalysis was crappy again, so I made an appointment with the urologist for today. He "tried" to put a light into my bladder to see what is going on. There is so much scar tissue in my urethra (from a surgery I had when I was a smaller demon) that he couldn't get the thing down it into my bladder.  I don't remember the name of the procedure, but if I don't have this done I will continue to have bladder infections. I don't know which is worse the pain I'm in right now & then the pain after surgery or living with bladder infections. All I know my penis is a bloody mess.  I can just drop my pants & that could be my halloween costume.  ::)

I take Kaletra, Invirase, Epivir & Viramune. Don't some HIV meds make your blood thinner? Should I be concerned about that? I bled all over the place today when they tried to put that light up my penis & the  doctor asked me if I was on blood thinners.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:48:29 pm by Dan J. »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: Surgery scheduled Oct 30th
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:47:48 pm »
I will be hoping for the best with your surgery. I know the pain is killer for you now but just think after the surgery there will be no more problems...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:08:57 pm »
Oh honey , its hard to grin and bear it but sometimes we just have to. I hope all goes well for you.  Make sure you tell them if you are in more pain than you can bear because Kurt was not prescribed anything but tylenol or advil or something after his surgery and he had to get them to prescribe something that really worked.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:24:54 pm »
Dan,

I can't answer your specific question, but wanted to wish you a good surgery and a speedy recovery!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:02:24 pm »
Hi Dan

Sounds like a Cystoscopy, this is a procedure to see the inside of the bladder and urethra.

There are two types of scopes used, one is a rigid one and the other is a flexable..I'm assuming your Doc has tried both...I can understand the problems he must be having if you have so much scare tissue there..I have come across this several times when even getting a penile swab was difficult.

I'm sure the surgery will go well and your problems will be solved soon..just remember to have someone with you to take you home..just to be on the safe side, you will feel some discomfort after, and if it starts to burn when you urinate don't worry too much this is normal and it will only last a couple of days...but I'm sure your Doctor will explain all this to you.

Will be thinking of you.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:18:14 pm »
Dan, I hope this procedure goes well for you. I had bladder surgery almost three years ago. Had to wear a not-very-decorative catheter for a few days. Your doc will tell you if that's going to be necessary. It was amazing how I got used to it even though I won't mind not having to do it ever again.

Overall the surgery went well and corrected the problem. No problematic aftereffects from it.

Will be thinking of you and expecting you to come out of it fine and soon ready to take off for Belgium.

Big cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:47:24 pm »
Dan, I don't know the answer about the HIV meds thinning the blood but I just wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you Monday. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 08:02:30 pm »
Dan,

it sounds awful to me.....I hope the procedure goes well...you will be under anesthesia, right?    Maybe this will finally give you some much deserved relief.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Dan J.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:06:16 pm »
Yes I will be under anesthesia. It's an outpatient procedure & I will go home Tuesday afternoon. My mother is Outpatient Registration Coordinator at the hospital so I will ride with her when she goes in at 6 AM & she will bring me home after she gets off for the day.

I am still bleeding from what the doc tried to do to me earlier today. My fave pair of knit boxers Hermilicious gave me for christmas are stained with blood. :(

Shit! I hope I will be able to fly on Nov 1st! I already purchased the plane ticket & it's non refundable. Damnit!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:09:25 pm by Dan J. »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:09:31 pm »
Dan, I'll keep you in my thoughts. No wanking for a week after the procedure.  ;)

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:29:43 pm »
Dear Dan,

Thom and I both hope that your surgery goes smoothly and that you have few complications.  We know how much you are looking forward to leaving for Belgium, but it's so wise of you to have this taken care of before your departure.  We can just imagine how much you are Hermie are looking at settling in together.  There is such a strong connection between you.  We love to see you together.

We will have you close to our hearts on the 30th and hope you will keep us posted on your recovery as you are able.

Love you much, Ric & Thom

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 10:13:35 pm »
My fave pair of knit boxers Hermilicious gave me for christmas are stained with blood.

Easy to get out, Danny Boy. Soak in cold water first. Handwash by working detergent into the areas, still with cold water. Might take a little persistence. They'll be good as new.

Now, to the other important stuff.

Glad there's an operation to fix you before you fly to Loveland, Belgium.

Please post post-op.

Em

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 10:19:13 pm »
Hi Dan~

Please know my thoughts will be of you on the 30th.  I am such a chicken when it comes to getting anything done.  Just remember that you're doing what you have to, and Hermie will await you with open arms soon after.  LOL at "Hermilicious"   :D

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 10:48:25 pm »
"Hermilicious" is very fitting!   ;D

Dan Dan the Pinga Man!  Ok, that’s Mexican slang for cock. Couldn’t resist!

If you do what they tell you to do, you should be fine to go to Belgium. What Jan said about burning afterwards is normal, but if you have burning more than a few days then you’ll need to ask your doc to prescribe something for the pain.

Here’s my story (and something it took a long time to tell my mom, but I finally did since she likes to tell the story of my surgery to total strangers…) When I was little I always wanted to pee a lot.  Like, on an 8-hour drive, I had to make 11 pit stops.  I truly think it was a control issue in my little agenda, but my folks took me to a urologist. I had to pee in front of him, and he asked me if I had trouble peeing.  Of course I said yes! I didn’t want to pee in front of him. I had to force myself to urinate.  So he diagnosed me with borderline hyperactivity (ignoring the fact that I was a chubby child who just wanted to read a book during recess) and I had surgery to enlarge my urethra.  Anesthesia, puking, and a fabulous cake from my sister ensued.

Flash forward to puberty, about 4 years later, and my growing cock wasn’t used to it’s surgery, and I had to stuff a wad of t.p. in my shorts after peeing so I wouldn’t leak into my pants. The bigger I got, the more it was a problem.  I had to deal with that for about 4 years, but by the time I graduated form HS, it finally resolved.

I don’t have a problem with that anymore, TG, but I am telling you this part of my life so that you can be rest assured that, should you have any leaky episodes, you’ll know that you’re “full grown” and such episodes are transient.

Should any episodes recur in Belgium, stop drinking that delicious beer!

Love,
Creighton

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 11:04:46 pm »
Dan, I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending lots of healing and positive energy your way.

Let us know how it all comes out, well, you know what I mean.

Oh, and give Hermilicious a great big hug for me when you get to Belgium. I miss you both a lot.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 11:07:08 pm »
Dan,

Will be thinking of you and your willy, buddy (no, get your mind out of the gutter!  not in that way   ;)).

Seriously, I'm sure everything will be fine.  You may have some bleeding issues for awhile -- you may want to invest in some, um, "pads" or adult undergarments for the long plane ride just to keep those pesky "spotting" problems from occurring.

I'd certainly get enough pain meds from the doctors though -- if at all possible, hold out for the good stuff too!  They should give you something for the initial discomfort.

Hope this works out well for you, and give Hermie a big kiss from Ron and myself.

John

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 02:29:23 pm »
Dan, sorry you have to have surgery but hope it makes things better. best of luck.  Cristy

Offline BirdBear718

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 12:21:43 am »
Keeping you in my thoughts for a "good" surgery and a speedy recovery.

Dan J.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 12:58:14 am »
Thanks guys for the well wishes. No wankin' for me! I just hope I can fly on Thursday.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 05:16:36 am »
Damn, talk about "that time of month."...I hope it doesn't interupt the trip!

good luck Dan
Positive since 1985

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 09:30:40 am »
Good luck on Tuesday, Dan.

Andy Velez

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 06:54:50 pm »
Honey,

Can't you leave your willy behind, have it treated and then collect it when you fly back?

We can have some great mind sex in the mean time.

I will be thinking of you on Tuesday. get over here asap.

love u

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Jody

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 08:38:36 pm »
Best of luck with the procedure on Tuesday Dan and keep us posted.

Jody   
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Dan J.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 03:57:03 pm »
My surgical procedure went well. I am at home with a catheter strapped to my leg for 5 days. I see the urologist again on Nov.5th I had to cancell my flight on Thursday. Now I wiill be flying out of redneckhaven on Nov 8th and will stay with my Hermielicious from Nov 8th to Dec 12th.

Thank goodness for oxycodone!

Thank you all for your kind words of support, it is much appreciated.

Dan

Offline bear60

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 04:46:48 pm »
Hope you have a speedy recovery.!!! :)
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Nadine

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 06:37:53 pm »
Hi Dan..glad to hear things went well today!

Sorry you had to change your flight plans, but Nov. 8th is not that far away

Take good care of yourself  :-*

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 08:53:12 pm »
You're not on morphine?

I'd have an IV drip right about now :) ??? :) ???

Get well soon, Dan
Positive since 1985

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 08:57:07 pm »
Hey Dan
Glad to know the procedure went well.
Smart to postpone departure.
Belgium for a month plus...heaven.
Give Hermie a hug fer me.
Em

Offline Basquo

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 08:57:42 pm »

Thank goodness for oxycodone!

Well Honey it must be working for you because I would be a raving BITCH if I had to endure a catheter for 5 days! I would have posted pure filth if I ventured online, so either it's working or you're more of a gentleman than me!  My Pansies & Puppydogstm attitude would be more like Plastic & Piss.

Love you and hope you heal properly!
Creighton

Dan J.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 09:02:53 pm »
I am trying to be a good boy, but it ain't easy.

I heart C. B.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 09:06:08 pm »
Glad to hear you got through ok, Dan. I kinda thought a temporary catheter was going to be in your future but I decided not to emphasize that point when you first brought up the surgery. It'll go faster than you expect -- the 5 days -- and there is uhmm a certain something to not having to get up to go to the loo when you have to pee. You know, lemonade out of lemons syndrome.

Have a good recovery and before you know it you'll be enjoying Belgium with Hermie.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 09:17:57 pm »
Wishing you a speedy recovery honey......

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline northernguy

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 09:55:44 pm »
Hi Dan, glad things went well.  Rest up and have a speedy recovery.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 02:03:17 am »
Hey Dan,

I had one of the "oscopys" once, don't remember which one but... the drugs kicked in as I was being wheeled into the exam room.  The doctors and nurses all had these orange masks on.  I remember saying, "Oh fuck, I've been kidnapped by Donald Duck and his nephews."   Sorry about the surgery...  I'm going to be harassed about another "oscopy" during my labs on the second.  I just can't come up with a single bad joke about someone going up my ass to look for polyps.  If there is a phone in there, they can call a taxi and drive out  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 06:59:13 pm »
My Danny boy isn't feeling well at all.
The surgery went fine, but today he had high fever and a swollen testicle.
He sure sounded down... and needs some support

He is seeing the doc tomorrow. Just hope it will be nothing serious and he can fly on the 8th.

I am getting settled in in my apprtment and making everything ready for him to come over.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 07:04:57 pm »
Dan, get well and enjoy your oxycodone. :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »
glad to know it went ok
happy recovery!
xxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 07:12:57 pm »
Dan sorry for the small setback with the infection...these things happen  it can be controlled and you will recover..lots of positive energy coming your way from many people....  hold on to your plane reservation...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 07:31:42 pm »
Glad you made it through the surgery but sorry to hear about the fever and the swelling. Hopefully you will still be able to leave on the 8th. A little TLC does wonders..... :-*
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Jody

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »
Hi Dan...This too shall pass and everything will heal up just fine, give it a little time and be a good patient.

Soon enough you shall be with dearest Hermala.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 08:49:21 pm »
Hey Dan,

Sorry to hear of the infection, but I'm sure you will get that under control in no time and will soon be winging your way to Belgium.

Lots of healing energy coming your way.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:25 pm »
I hope you are well Dan!
Cranberries will help keep your urinary tract clean and can help heal a bladder infection faster. You can get cranberry capsules at healthfood stores too. Its alot more affective than trying to chug a bottle of juice. Works like a charm.

Wendy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.