Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 481
Total: 482

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WHEN WAS I INFECTED?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline bobosa

WHEN WAS I INFECTED?
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:51:33 pm »
I have been poz for the past seven years. But I have always have problem to pin down my possible time, place and source of infection.

I moved to my present country, South Africa, in June 1998. I started getting sick in September 1999 and got diagnosed in November 1999. My CD4 count was just a little above 300 then. I started on HAART in 2002.

In my attempts at tracing the source of infection I have been in contact directly or indirectly with the ladies I had sexual contact with in my former country. They all seem healthy, unlike in my present country where two of the ladies I initially had sexual contact with had passed away a few years back.

The confusion lies in the short period between my arrival in the new country and the time of my sickness and diagnosis. This was just over a year. Could I have been infected and my immune system got so compromised within this short period in my new country? Or is it just that the clue was not forthcoming from my former country? Please help!       

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: WHEN WAS I INFECTED?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 04:27:14 pm »
Hi Bobosa,

Welcome to the forum.

There's really no way for us to tell you when you were infected. A CD4 count in the 300s could happen at any time during hiv infection and a person could be quite healthy - or unwell - with that count. The most important thing is that you know now that you are hiv positive and you can take care of yourself.

How are you doing on HAART?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:09:35 pm »
It's not always possible to pinpoint the exact time of infection unless you had one source of risk or if you regularly got tested for HIV, you could pinpoint roughly the period in which it occurred.   300 may not have been a significant drop for you--we rarely know the CD4 count in an uninfected person and the reference range is usually 500-1500 or 400-1200 (varies lab to lab).  So if your "normal" value was always at the low end of the "normal" range, say 500 then 300 then really that isn't a significant drop in a short time than say if you normally ran 1000 and your first count was 300.  Also, people progress differently in HIV, some faster than others.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline bobosa

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:00:27 am »
Thanx Ann & Coffee for your responses.

I can deduct from your responses that it's useless embarking on tracing infection source exercise. The good news is that I'm presently doing well on my meds, except for the battle with lipoatrophy which has made me changed my combo from 3TC+Stavudine+Nevirapine to that of 3TC+AZT+Nevirapine. Although I'm noticing a slight change in my weight: gained about 4kg since the change but the facial and pelvic wasting still worries me.

I read in an article that Stavudine and AZT are possible culprits. I'm again considering replacing AZT with Tenovofir. That would be the third time I changed a component of my regime. Any advice?   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:33:42 am »
Hello again Bobosa,

Yes, it is essentially a futile exercise to try and figure out when you were infected. Sorry.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I am not the best person to answer your med related questions but there are many others here who can give you excellent info.

I suggest you start a new thread with a title that reflects your questions about the meds. You may also want to check out some of the other forums - such as Treatment Questions, Side Effects and of course the Lipodystophy forum. You'll find links to those forums on both the main page of these forums as well as in the column on the left hand side of any forum page.

Keep looking forward, instead of to the past, and keep taking care of yourself. That's all any of us can do.

Take care,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.