Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:50:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS project--can anyone help me?!  (Read 10274 times)

Offline grapefruit

AIDS project--can anyone help me?!
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:29:02 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm a university student and taking a course in understanding HIV, and my final project is to interview someone with AIDS. I did happen to find 2 people in my area, but an interview with them couldn't work out. So i've come here!

I really would appreciate if someone could answer these 10 questions for me and post them here so others may also benefit:

1) How long has it been since you were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS?

2) What prompted you to be tested for AIDS?

3) After you tested positive, how did close family and friends/partners around you act?

4) What advice would you give to those vulnerable to the virus?

5) Do you think there is a stigma concerning AIDS in this society (US)? If so, how would you remedy this stigma?

6) How much medication are you taking daily, and how are the side effects?

7) Are you married, or do you have children?

8) What were your thoughts or impressions of AIDS before you contracted it? Any prejudices?

9) Do you think there are enough advocacies for AIDS? Why or why not?

10) Why do you think AIDS is more prominent in some groups or areas and not prominent in others?--
Those are my questions, even if you can answer some I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much   

Offline grapefruit

Re: AIDS project--can anyone help me?!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:39:45 pm »
I'm sure you've seen posts like this before, but I have looked into a lot of places to find a positive person and I can assure you that I am not 'lazy'. I would really appreciate anyone's input, even one question would help me out. Thank you very much.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:01:10 pm »
yes, we are your little monkeys for research.

Go team.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:11:14 pm »
Without responding personally to any of your questions (which have the stench of slumming about themselves), I'll simply suggest that you contact your local ASO (Google it) and attempt to rework these questions with a case manager.

I was not offended as much as saddened by this post.

Brent
(Who feels as though even anthropology has its limits)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline grapefruit

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:41:08 pm »
I apologize sincerely for any harm i've caused, totally not my intention. The project was basically to make up your own questions and ask them. Like I mentioned, i was scheduled to speak with 2 people, but the circumstances wouldn't allow it.

And I don't understand the 'little monkey' comment. yes, I am ignorant about AIDS and that is why I took the class. Again, I apologize if anything i've wrote has hurt anyone. I was simply just asking questions that I thought would be relevant. It's just an interview to help people who are unaware of this disease to become more aware.

Also, if you don't like my questions, then there is a nicer way to say it. I did not come here to poke fun or to use anyone as 'little monkeys', if I wanted to come here and be mean, I could have, but I clearly did not do that because I try and have respect for others, but I guess my respect went unoticed here. Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:54:50 pm by grapefruit »

Offline nikki

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:18:25 am »
1. 1 1/2 years
2. Had no choice. Rush to hospital with 104 temp. Went into coma.  developed pneumonia.
3. no one knows, except two close friends. They just ask how I'm feeling everyday. They don't get into detail.
4. take meds accordingly. visit doctor regularly. join support groups. follow balance diet. educate yourself
5. Yes. Education
6. 2  AIDS regiments ( Combivir AM/combivir&sustiva PM)
7.neither
8. no prejudice. just thought it would never happen to me
9.Philadelphia & NY are the best cities to live if you have AIDS
10. Many still believe it is a gay disease.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:04:30 am »
Also, if you don't like my questions, then there is a nicer way to say it. I did not come here to poke fun or to use anyone as 'little monkeys', if I wanted to come here and be mean, I could have, but I clearly did not do that because I try and have respect for others, but I guess my respect went unoticed here. Thank you very much.

Grapefruit,

You come into a forum the culture of which you know nothing and you start asking intimate and personal questions of people you've never met nor have anything in common with and you're wondering why some of us object?

You're right. We have seen your type before. We call what you're doing "harvesting" and many of us consider it to be the apex of rudeness.

We are not a resource for you to use for your advancement. There are ways that university students should go about collecting data for their studies and research. In my opinion (as a university graduate) this is not the way to do it. It borders on the unethical.

Given your response (the part that I have quoted) I suspect that the etiquette of these matters would be lost on you.

MtD

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:40:05 am »
I'm sure you've seen posts like this before, but I have looked into a lot of places to find a positive person and I can assure you that I am not 'lazy'. I would really appreciate anyone's input, even one question would help me out. Thank you very much.

Grapefruit,

It is not your motives that I will question here but the way you are doing this. I think it IS lazy (and, as pointed out by Matty, outright rude) to just hand out a questionnaire like that. I guess the only ruder form would be a multiple choice one with boxes to tick.

If your intent is to understand better what happens when a human being gets hiv for the rest of his life, then stay here as a guest for however long it takes and just browse, read, and LEARN. All the answers to your questionnaire are right here, but your going to have to do you homework and get your hands dirty.

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 03:47:45 am »
Answers removed by the author (in light of new information).

Good luck with your assignment, grapefruit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 06:46:01 am by DanielMark »
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 05:39:52 am »
grapefruit,

This is a support forum for people with hiv. It is indeed lazy that you did not bother to read the Welcome thread before you posted. If you had, you would have also seen our forum posting guidelines and realised you should not be posting in this forum.

It was also rather lazy of you to barge in with research questions without asking the site administrators for permission first. A little prior research on this forum would have revealed where to direct such enquiries.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline grapefruit

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 08:50:15 am »
Thank you everyone for the feedback, as long as you don't question my intentions I am happy, and again, I sincerely apologize.

Ann, you are right, I should have done that but I was kind of lost on what to actually do so I just posted my questions. Like I said before, I even think this is lazy but I have exhausted my means and finding someone has become extra difficult. The clinics will not call us back or return emails and just walking in might cause issues with HIPPA laws (which is why I couldn't interview one of the two people). Believe me, this was my final attempt.

Anyway, someone has offered to help me out, so thank you.

And thank you very much Nikki for answering my questions, I will add it to my presentation.

(by the way, I don't like the idea of having to meet with someone one time and just dropping these types of questions on them but it's the assignment and I will inform my professor of the response i've recieved here)

good luck to everyone and have a good morning.

Offline Ody

• Diagnonis 3/86
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:29:39 am »
Speaking at colledges with classes like yours I understand your dilimma and am not upset with your questions. Like the name of our state PLWHA yearly confrence, Breaking the Silence Coming Alive, we PLWHA's need to be more reseptive to others in order to educated, prevent, and share so those not infected have a better understanding. Many of the case worker's we have now came from the classes you are taking and need all the understanding and educating now before the politics of the issue take over.

Understand that many over the years have been 'burnt' by answering questions of this nature to expose people and many are not at a point to share yet.

1) How long has it been since you were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS?

HIV 21 yrs AIDS 20yrs

2) What prompted you to be tested for AIDS?

I was on achne medication (Acutane) and the blood work I had to do every week was coming back massively abnormal.

3) After you tested positive, how did close family and friends/partners around you act?

The person that I was seeing and infected me told me never to speak to him again, say his name, and to never tell a soal I was positive. When my parents found out my mother cried and my father kicked me out of the house.

4) What advice would you give to those vulnerable to the virus?

Know people lie about their status, unlike popular belief, this virus is deadly and the word 'managable' is liquid, it isn't as easy as taking a pill everyday. Protect yourself when taking part of risky behaviors with the stance that everyone that is involved in this behavior is positive. Be smart and educated!!!

5) Do you think there is a stigma concerning AIDS in this society (US)? If so, how would you remedy this stigma?

Over the years the stigma has lightened up some, but yes there is a stigma that is strong. Education would be a good start, but as humans we are all vonurable to fear something, I don't see a stop, we can even get past racism, sex issues, we can't even fund our schools properly, what makes anyone think that the stigma will end.

6) How much medication are you taking daily, and how are the side effects?

I'm on a 'creative' salvage theorpy, 2 shots a day with another med to 'manage' the HIV/AIDS, 4 preventative meds against OI's, 9 maintance drugs for permanate damage due to the HIV/AIDS, 3 pain killers to use as needed.

Side effects-too many to list, but I manage them well.

7) Are you married, or do you have children?

No and no

What were your thoughts or impressions of AIDS before you contracted it? Any prejudices?

Thoughts or impressions-We didn't have the education back them, in my area, rural America, it was off the radar in those days, No prejudices.

9) Do you think there are enough advocacies for AIDS? Why or why not?

NO! With the amount of deaths and failing health, of advocates and lack of new advocates the numbers have dwindled. Many "old school" advocates, not all have seen things that other's havn't and are reluctant to work with newer advocates that could never understand the experiences unless they traveled that road themselves.

10) Why do you think AIDS is more prominent in some groups or areas and not prominent in others?

Lack of proper education, number of people in a given area, the area itself. Amoung groups (and the area), there is a trend to aim more energy/funding on a said group/area, educating, testing, and  pervention based on highest statistics about the said group/area. With lack of funds with more funding cuts regularly, a given group/area gets less attention/no attention, causing larger infection rates in that group/area. (ie..metro areas have more people=more infection statistics=more funding = rural areas have fewer people in a consintrated area=lower funding. x group of people have highest infection rate=highest attention=y group of people has lowest infection rate=lower/no attention.)

Good luck on the paper, thanks for taking the time to learn, and if you decide to take a career involving HIV/AIDS thanks in advance, we need all the support we can get!

Ody

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:37:39 am by Ody »
Take a deep breath and forgive yourself, no since in you making it harder, that's someone else's job and you know they are more qualified, just ask um!

Offline grapefruit

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:57:39 am »
I thank you greatly Ody for helping me out and understanding where i'm coming from! I appreciate all the help everyone, and I will keep all the advice in mind.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: AIDS project--Hell, no!!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 11:45:35 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm a university student and taking a course in understanding HIV, and my final project is to interview someone with AIDS. I did happen to find 2 people in my area, but an interview with them couldn't work out. So I've come here!

OK, you've already been handed your "unwelcome" for "harvesting" and not respecting the "culture" of this forum for and by people with hiv. You have not offered private responses called "PM" here. It is arrogant to be confident that answers to your questions posted PUBLICLY here would add in anyway to this Forum (You admit to being pretty ignorant about HIV issues in a later response). You showed slightly thin skin (you need to resist reacting in this situation) when criticized for the tenth time (I almost added my 11th before I read most of the issues covered).

Your project is not scientific. It does not offer privacy. Interviewing two people is a lousy idea outside of a criminal investigation. It is of little worth. If you were a tenth grader, I'd teach you what my father taught me about designing studies, data analysis, and designing unbiased questionnaires. You seem unaware of the problems of using AIDS and HIV interchangeably (that in itself, would be a great 4-6 page paper) Anyway, we are a pretty smart group of monkeys here, and I am glad so many chose not to answer your short questionnaire. Respect has many forms. Outside of your limited "mea culpa" you have not shown sufficient maturity for me to provide my assistance. I am happy to be student or teacher (both is best), but I don't do other kids' homework, OK?
 8) -megasept

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 12:04:53 pm »
You made an honest mistake.  Learn and move on. 

Here are my answers.  Mostly because I don't care who knows... and partly because I lurve surveys.  Also, when I was in college, I would have probably done the exact same thing... tact wasn't one of my strong points at the time.  Get some... a little dab'll do ya.

1. How long has it been since you were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
February 2005.  I was 22.

2. What prompted you to be tested for AIDS?
I was going to join the Navy.  HIV tests are a part of the physical.

3. After you tested positive, how did close family and friends/partners around you act?
My friends took me out to dinner and then we got wasted.  My parents cried when I told them a couple months later.

4. What advice would you give to those vulnerable to the virus?
Use a condom, dumbass.

5. Do you think there is a stigma concerning AIDS in this society (US)? If so, how would you remedy this stigma?
Yes.  Given HIV's primary transmission vector as a sexually transmitted disease, I would suggest some liberalization of American culture regarding sexuality might be in order.

6. How much medication are you taking daily, and how are the side effects?
I take two pills once a day. Sustiva and Truvada.  I currently have no side effects at all from them.

7. Are you married, or do you have children?
Fuck no.

8. What were your thoughts or impressions of AIDS before you contracted it? Any prejudices?
I thought it was something that was bad and should be avoided... but I had a better working knowledge of it than most people.  I don't think I had any prejudices... none that I can really remember.

9. Do you think there are enough advocacies for AIDS? Why or why not?
I don't think there are enough advocates for HIV/AIDS in the developed world.  The Big Lie being perpetuated in the Western media is that "AIDS is over" in the West.  This is patently nonsense and had led to virtually all worldwide attention being focused in HIV/AIDS in Africa.

10. Why do you think AIDS is more prominent in some groups or areas and not prominent in others?
This is a rather loaded question... but I would speculate that the first few smattering of cases in the mid 20th century decided the future course of HIV/AIDS.  If it had been a dozen white straight people infected in the late 1960s rather than a dozen homosexuals and Haitians, you wouldn't be asking this question.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 12:09:40 pm »
Curious how this will be perceived by the class & teacher once Grapefruit goes back  with the responses...

Offline Central79

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 12:29:01 pm »
If this is his last project, I'm more interested to hear about what they taught him...
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Ody

• Diagnonis 3/86
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:54:43 am »
Interesting replies, replies that would keep a person awake!  >:(

So easily words like 'lazy' can be tossed about. Someone makes an effort to take a class to 'understand' HIV/AIDS and could end up being a advocate, case manager, even enrolling in a 'buddy' program for an ASO to simple run by the store and pick up a feel good card to give assigned buddy that could change or save the life of the PLWH/A. Heck just imagine if it is the person that could come up with a cure and our 'slap' just lost him/her? Rest easy on your mind?

Do your own homework, if the assignment is to speak with 2 PLWH/A's, create your own questions, and create a presentation about it, how could not speaking and asking the questions to the PLWH/A's be doing your assignment? And yes, professor's do give assignments of this nature!

Privacy? The government now requires a list of our names from the states in order to get funding, most sat on the sidelines while this was debated and turned into a policy, where is the privacy? 'Oh, we have taken messures to make sure this list is not accessible', please, person's have highjacked the most sophisticated computers the 'man' has and gotten information. Aside from that, what's more private than a computer and a screen name? Get the picture and point?

Harvesting? Someone please explain this!

Not questioning administration but reminding them, someone in administration of a very popular HIV/AIDS magazine once did an article about a Taboo subject that required addressing. It was taken as a nuke and said person was suddenly an outcast and gone, all he did was what needed to be done yet he paid dearly...(the publication had a horse on the cover, do your home work)

Maybe, just maybe, someone could have asked for said institution's name, professor's name and all the contact info in order to verify said assignment. Possibly taking concerns to the professor, in turn further educating the educator.

I took the time to go back and reread the instruction  for posting, I must have missed the 'though shalt not ask questions for research' clause. Wouldn't that type of policy defeat the purpose? (Coming from the point we are all researching problems and issues we have from experienced persons.)

I think a line of a song real fits, "when you want money for minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you'll have to wait!" and another one, "Put a little love in your heart"

Ody

Take a deep breath and forgive yourself, no since in you making it harder, that's someone else's job and you know they are more qualified, just ask um!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 10:03:15 am »
Harvesting? Someone please explain this!

Ody,

Harvesting is a term used to describe people who come swanning into the forums with a view to cherry picking our experiences for their own gain.

Like students doing an assignment looking for an easy way to answer their questions.

How do we know that grapefruit is on the level? If I was undertaking a study into HIV/AIDS and I wanted to gather data from the members of a website, I would approach the Administrators of that site first. I would identify myself and my educational institution, the nature of my course and the parameters of my study, amongst other things. You know, so my bona fides could be assayed.

I would ask permission.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline Ody

• Diagnonis 3/86
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 10:42:52 am »
MtD,

Thanks. Actually the 'harvesting' question was put in with more but it showed a side of me that I'm sure would have heads exploding like pop corn in a microwave!

cherry picking our experiences for their own gain

In effect, when we ask about handling of given issue, other's side effects, and the like we ARE doing the same. Think about it, a rare few do things for no personal gain, tis the human animal nature!

How do we know that grapefruit is on the level? If I was undertaking a study into HIV/AIDS and I wanted to gather data from the members of a website, I would approach the Administrators of that site first. I would identify myself and my educational institution, the nature of my course and the parameters of my study, amongst other things. You know, so my bona fides could be assayed.

I would ask permission.

As I stated, maybe asking for institute and professor contact info. We go to school to learn that what we don't know, we educate the uneducated. See 'educate the educator'. Kinda like when we take info to our doctor about new treatments and/or new information, we are educating our doctors. As one once pointed out to me, "There is so much new research/information released daily, if I went over it all I would never see any patients, I wouldn't have the time".

Sharing a personal experience with you, a university student was doing a research paper on PLWH/A's, ask to come to a support group meeting at an ASO, they came to the attendants of the support group, 1 person in 15 said no, the student wasn't allowed. Those of us willing to partake ask to contact the person to set up individual meetings, the ASO said no, the ASO suddenly only had 1 person at the meetings and in result didn't have a group and lost the funds. To this day the ASO has massive problems with it's support group meetings. Several of the clients closed their case and went to another ASO that didn't offer support groups due to lack of funds. Who lost what? WE ALL DID!

Dig it dude, for real,
Ody

Offline mjmel

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 11:01:59 am »
grapefruit: What's with the sunglass emoticon? I find this posting to be totally lacking in proper collegial research protocol. What college educated you in researching methods?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:03:48 am by mjmel »

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 11:06:35 am »
I agree with most on this one.  It was poorly handled.

We ARE doing the same, but we LIVE WITH HIV, and we mostly have lurked on the site longer than a few minutes.  And most of us DO do things for no personal gain, look at the I Love Porn Thread!

So what you are saying Ody, is that WE should do all the research to make sure HE is on the level but not ask him to do any work to make sure he asks questions appropriately and with permission.  Thats retarded.  

It is HIS assignment not mine.  And he actually could have found answers to EVERY SINGLE ONE of his questions in various threads.  It screams of lazy, and of this particular human trait I am somewhat of an expert and probably would have done the same thing.  

In regards to your personal story I hope the other 14 realize that their lack of understanding for that ONE person and their diva-ish attitudes about not going back after the ASO made a decision is what caused it to shut down.  Not the one person who said no.  That person kept going and supported the ASO, the other 14 abandoned it.  Thats how *I* look at it.  
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline David_CA

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 11:07:43 am »
grapefruit: What's with the sunglass emoticon? I find this posting to be totally lacking in proper collegial research protocol. What college educated you in researching methods?

I believe an '8' followed by an ')' will give one 8) .  I don't think it was intentional.

Another thought, and this is just MY opinion (from several replies), if we want to be seen as normal people living with a virus, perhaps we could be a little bit nicer to a person asking info about HIV / AIDS.  Maybe the OP was being a bit lazy; maybe he/she could have asked permission first before posting questions.  Regardless, trying to 'teach' an individual how to act in a forum in a rude fashion teaches the individual what?

D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:13:54 am by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 11:19:03 am »
Regardless, trying to 'teach' an individual how to act in a forum in a rude fashion teaches the individual what?

Rude my arse.

I'm not here to teach hamfisted undergraduates anything. If this individual walks away thinking that toilet seats are a mode of transmission then I'm no worse off.

Nor is any other person with AIDS. A serious researcher/tertiary student would have known how to handle such an approach.

MtD

Offline David_CA

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 11:25:53 am »
Regardless, trying to 'teach' an individual how to act in a forum in a rude fashion teaches the individual what?

Rude my arse.

I'm not here to teach hamfisted undergraduates anything. If this individual walks away thinking that toilet seats are a mode of transmission then I'm no worse off.

Nor is any other person with AIDS. A serious researcher/tertiary student would have known how to handle such an approach.

MtD

Actually, I wasn't referring to you, Matty.  I know better than to cross MtD!  Just kidding, actually.  You know, I work at a college and you'd be amazed, or maybe not, by how clueless many students are.  It's really sad.

D
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 11:41:32 am »
I just don't believe that finding someone with HIV / AIDS to interview was such an insurmountable task.  Nor do I believe that someone who wishes to do a cut and paste job on an assignment like this will eventually uncover the cure for AIDS. 

I doubt that the poster really intended offense with the original inquiry, but aside from appearing lazy and a bit rude in his approach, I think he is also doing an injustice to himself by not working harder to do the assignment as originally intended.  I think there was a reason the task was given to speak to individuals in person.

I'll say that it may have been harsher than he expected, but this person got what he was seeking from here:  a bit of a lesson.  We are people, not Cliffs Notes.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ody

• Diagnonis 3/86
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 11:59:42 am »
 In regards to your personal story I hope the other 14 realize that their lack of understanding for that ONE person and their diva-ish attitudes about not going back after the ASO made a decision is what caused it to shut down.  Not the one person who said no.  That person kept going and supported the ASO, the other 14 abandoned it.  Thats how *I* look at it.  

In an attempt to clear the personal story for you, we 14 respected the person's fears of identification presented. Attempting to protect that person we approaching the ASO about it, we where informed it was a support group issue and they (the support group) had made the determination, case closed.   There where no 'lacks' of understanding on our parts. As for supporting this ASO, you would have to experience it ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 12:02:39 pm »
Benj in the navy? 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 12:36:40 pm »
In an attempt to clear the personal story for you, we 14 respected the person's fears of identification presented. Attempting to protect that person we approaching the ASO about it, we where informed it was a support group issue and they (the support group) had made the determination, case closed.   There where no 'lacks' of understanding on our parts. As for supporting this ASO, you would have to experience it ;)

Not sure why 'lacks' is quoted like that.  And normally that doesn't bother me but this time it did, did I misuse the word?

You made it sound like because 1 person didn't want this person to attend a support group meeting the other 14 decided they would no longer go to the ASO.  And because of this event (of not being willing enough to allow an "outsider" in) the ASO shut down/has struggled.  And that now because of this one person everyone suffers.  I am simply pointing out that is not the case.  And it seems as though you are now implying that there were a multitude of other issues that caused those 14 to no longer attend.  Im a little confused.  But that may be because im out of the adderall today!

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 03:21:19 pm »
Benj in the navy? 

Yeah.  I was gonna be a linguist for them.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 06:33:24 am »
I'd never discourage any student pursuing academic studies from accomplishing an informative research. Nope, not me.
I'd never approach a forum requesting information with such a casual attitude.........as though I was one of them. I'd never write as though I'm a fellow HIVer or friend of one..........when I am indeed an academic student on a forum of HIVers and am merely pursuing an assignment/merit.
I would show consideration and sensitivity towards those I address and I would introduce myself and identify my school, my curriculum, my purpose and intent would be expressed in a respectful fashion. I'd possibly proof read my work as would be my habit for I know if I submitted sloppy work like this to my instructor, he'd toss it out. The whole post is designed to casually fit in to other postings; it doesn't say "Hey, look here! I'm an educated, sensitive being on assignment!"

Am I the village idiot, who just fell out the back of a turnip truck? Maybe so. You see, my attitude stemmed from the fact that I didn't accept this post as an authentic inquiry from an academic student pursuing a grade in college, no less. I apologize to the original poster if he/she is indeed a real student in a real university.
It sure struck me more as a sophomoric effort of a student of Ihavehope University. (Something along that line of suspect.)
Am I paranoid? Naw. Has there been too much of that kind of silliness and childish behavior of late? Yeah.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:37:13 am by mjmel »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 09:15:36 am »
For the record, I checked grapefruit out before I replied to him and he isn't, to the best of my knowledge, ihavehope or anyone else who posts here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 09:18:06 am »
Yeah.  I was gonna be a linguist for them.

You would have made a cunning linguist.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 10:01:19 am »
For the record, I checked grapefruit out before I replied to him and he isn't, to the best of my knowledge, ihavehope or anyone else who posts here.

Ann

Thanks, Ann. Dutifully noted. (Damn turnips.....never could grow fond of 'em)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 01:03:24 pm »
You would have made a cunning linguist.

Thank you.

I did very well on the DLAB, and they were going to pay me scads and oodles of money to live in Monterey and learn a language.

Stupid plan-thwarting virus.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 01:38:15 pm »
Thank you.

I did very well on the DLAB, and they were going to pay me scads and oodles of money to live in Monterey and learn a language.

Stupid plan-thwarting virus.

you little blonde...cunninglinguist.

Offline allanq

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 01:54:39 pm »
As others have pointed out, all the information that "grapefruit" wants is contained in the forums themselves. Want to know about family issues for people with HIV? Just go to the Living With forum and read about things like disclosing to one's family, not being accepted by one's family, and a host of other family-related matters. Want to know about treatment issues and side effects? Go to the Treatment Issues and Lipodystrophy forums. Want to know about stigma? There have been a number of threads on this very issue. There are also a host of websites that offer information on issues related to treatment, social issues, financial issues, and much more. How about looking at the Lessons on this forum for a start.

The thing is, grapefruit's paper would be a lot more interesting and accurate if he/she would take the time to do a little legwork, rather than relying on pat answers to ten questions from two or three or four people. This approach might take a while, but I suspect that grapefruit got this assignment with plenty of time to do it right.

I think grapefruit's intentions are probably sincere, but he/she needs to apply a little imagination to this project.

Allan

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 08:00:23 am »
This thread reminds me of another thread where a college professor came on to the forum asking for volunteers...
for a course she had begun to educate students about HIV.  She asked for volunteers to be pen pals and I
remember very well the response she got and she didn't ask any questions but merely for volunteers.

I am but one voice but I welcome legitimate interest in our cause...I think civility shouldn't be lost just because we
have suffered a handful of antagonist or denialist or whatever.  But rather we should encourage those coming onto
our forum.  And given the world we live in...Sure let's be cautious about the information we give out but let us not
forget we are all in this together.

Incidentally I have just finished my third pen pal assignment and having just read her paper I was pleased to discover
how meaningful and productive the course had been for her.  I dare say (after reading her paper) that she came away
with a lot more than just useful information but also a genuine sense of what it was like to be HIV+.  I am honored to
be a part of this program but more importantly I am even more convinced that one person can make a difference.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: AIDS project--Our Response(s)--Civility?
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 10:48:12 pm »
I am but one voice but I welcome legitimate interest in our cause...I think civility shouldn't be lost just because we
have suffered a handful of antagonist or Denialst or whatever.  ...Sure let's be cautious about the information we give out but let us not
forget we are all in this together.
...I am even more convinced that one person can make a difference.

Duly noted. I guess etiquette/civility is one way in which we might remain skeptical or protective, but not reveal our suspicions--hiding behind well-chosen phrases is not always the wrong approach. It's funny how (very) occasionally the "worthless thing" or solicitation turns out to be the real deal, while the "real deal" turned out to be garbage. Keeps me humble!  8)  -megasept

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.