Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:42:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 109
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 91
Total: 92

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hiv Guy Having Unprotected Sex With Another Hiv + Guy  (Read 5118 times)

Offline TheRoof

Hiv Guy Having Unprotected Sex With Another Hiv + Guy
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »
(Hello I used to post here, a while back maybe around 9-11 months ago actively)
This past week has been hell for me, on Thursday I got into a huge fight with my best friend. To sum a long story short, I tried to hurt myself by overdosing.

I did something stupid this weekend. There was this poz guy that would sometimes text me saying we should hang out. After the fight he actually texted me, I came to his place. We had sexual intercourse. Sadly he did not use a condom, (Whilst knowing he was HIV positive, (and of course so was I)

He did not cum in me, we did it for maybe 10 minutes. Here is where my fear comes from.
 Pre-Cum AND because neither of us are on medication. My viral load is less then 1000. His viral load he said was around 30000. Plus he was the top, and tops usually have a higher risk of infecting people then the bottom. Yes it doesn't matter whether you are top/bottom. Though a bottom supposedly has a higher risk. (Condoms of course are the best way to prevent transmission, I've had HIV for two years)

I am very afraid, that I might have been potentially re-infected. Yesterday I felt really bad "Why did I not ask him to wear a condom" -- Obviously I messed up. ha ha. So I was wondering statistically even though he did not ejaculate in me, what is the risk of me being reinfected if NEITHER of us were on meds. It does scare me alot. This is killing me, and I am sure there was a high risk anyway.

This forum is very knowledgeable. This is why I posted this here.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:57:34 pm by TheRoof »

Offline tednlou2

Re: Hiv Guy Having Unprotected Sex With Another Hiv + Guy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »
I'm more concerned with you wanting to "hurt" yourself by overdosing.  Was that a nice way of saying trying to commit suicide?  Thank goodness it didn't work.  It would seem like more is going on to cause you to do that than just a fight?? 

I certainly don't know enough about superinfecton to respond to that---except to say many believe if it does happen, it happens soon after initial infection.  I don't know how long that means exactly--a month, a year, or 2 years.  Even reading what "experts" say, they'll say it only happens soon after infection.  But, they will also say you can get your partner's mutations.  So, I don't know and will defer to others here.

In any event, I'm glad you're okay and wish you all the best.     

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »
I guess, what kills me inside. Is that even when I apologized for the fight. He still won't talk to me. It really hurts me that he is emotionally abusing me like that. But time will heal it. I know that I will eventually move on from this friendship.

He knows everything about me, about the rape, how I got the HIV from the rape. my depression from having to deal with it. We were there for each other.. He was Basically a REALLY good friend. He has psychological issues too. He is passive-aggressive, I am more Anti-Social Behavior qualities.

But superinfection worries me to the max. The guy has had it for maybe 2 years I think. (The HIV) (around that time) another note. I rarely engage in sexual activity.  I just pray that I will not get re-infected. I have to wait till January-February to get my bloodwork done. I just hope that nothing changes. It is killing me inside. (I know i shouldn't stress myself over this too much)

What's done is done, I
guess statistics is my only way of understanding this. Combining with knowledge. ""tednlou2" please don't worry about my suicidal thoughts, this is nothing new. I've suffered with this for two years. I am more worried about the re-infection part. I need hear real data, so I know what my priorities should be.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:50:31 pm by TheRoof »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:28:20 pm »
I would be interested to hear from the more educated folks here whether PEP is ever warranted for someone already infected to prevent being infected with a new strain.  Since this just happened this weekend, you're still in the window period of 72 hours.  Having said that, I have no idea whether that would even work for someone already infected.  Or, if ya start on HIV meds, is it best to just stay on them.  Or, whether most here believe you even need to worry about a new strain and only be concerned with other STDs. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:51:22 am »
In the odd chance that anyone actually wants to hear from a LTS who has a grounded basis in HIV research, I signed on to reply to this post.

PEP is useless for those infected with HIV already. It contains HIV medications, which when used in an HIV negative person, acts to thwart initial infection. It has ZERO bearing on infections that already exist.

Superinfection/Reinfection are two different things. Both involve the introduction of a different strain of HIV into an existing one. This is remotely possible, but there are a handful of case studies suggesting that it is possible. It is not likely. More unlikely is the event of a new infection creating a resistance to one's existing medication, or supplanting the existing entrenched strain of HIV with a more virulent one.

In short, it is nothing that most people should ever worry about. Especially those on HAART, but even then, no indication that this makes a difference. You might be one of the dozen or so persons on earth conjectured to have acquired this. But if so, you would be the subject to the same scrutiny as the two or three persons on earth who claim to have been infected through kissing or cunnilingus.

In short, PEP is not your solution. Staying adherent to your drugs is always a good idea, though even that has little if anything to do with the boogeyman that is super/reinfection. Having known hundreds of LTS' and having thousands of hours' of study regarding the issue, as well as dating many HIV positive persons myself, I can attest that the notion of acquired resistance, if it happens at all, is rare to the point of not worrying about.

You should, of course, concern yourself about other STDS, and get tested at the three-month period for syphilis and others (obviously others if symptoms develop).

I was infected in 1994. I have been on dozens of HIV drug regimen, from AZT to Isentress. I have been an HIV educator for over a dozen years, and one of the few members allowed to answer questions in the AM I INFECTED forum. The moderators and owners of this site trust me and my expertise, and I stand by every single word I have said.

I am glad that someone asked the advice from the LTS members, and I hope others chime in. I hope that this means that those of us who have done exhaustive research remain relevant in these forums.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline roy100

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:17 pm »
I would worry more about your mental health than  what you did with your friend.

Yes, theres always the chance of reinfection, but giving the conditions you mention, are really of such little probabilities. The botton position by the way is more at risk.

Use this as a reminder , that next time you need to wear a condom, that is the lesson to be learned.
If you think somebody might be a possible new boyfriend, that is when you need to think even more about the consequences of your actions, as opportunities are rare.

I myself would not get involve with somebody with mental problems, as I have enough with mine, carrying two burdens at the same time might be to heavy.

Again you need to focus on your mental health, and how you might handle different situations , as this one was only a pay attention call, don't worry about it. But do take care of yourself, starting with your mind.
Take care !
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:39:16 pm by roy100 »
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »
Well all I can say is... don't stress out on the situtation... just do not let yourself be placed back in this situtation again... not much else to do but, wait and see... We all make and have made mistakes... just learn from them...

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 06:20:28 pm »
thanks guys, I am glad I am getting educated replies instead of the typical

"I am so sorry this happened to you" (That actually makes me feel worse)

There is of course a difference being a top and a bottom in terms on infection. Condoms are the best way to protect yourself from infection, but bottoms are more likely to get infected then tops. (Statistically I've read 8 fold higher)
Obviously the inside of ass (Sorry Im not using scientific terms) has blood vessels and soft tissue which could easily be broken for the infected semen to leak in.

I am a top, but I always wear a condom (only have sex with other poz guys) even when the bottom wants me to bareback him, it's tempting but I never do it.

I guess because I was on the OTHER side of the bed, I was a little submissive and should have spoke up. I regret it, but I learned. I love talking about this subject, you guys made me feel better. Thank you so much.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:30:39 pm »
People, I wish they were realists, honest and free from other people's moral shit. 6-12 confirmed cases of reinfection clinical importance in millions of cases of HIV.

If you want to have unprotected sex with another HIV+ person, just do it and enjoy yourself. The risk of reinfection is very small. More horrid things to consider are hepatitis and syphilis (where condoms are not protective).

To be belt and braces, check you have the same HIV sub-type and similar resistance tests. then there's nothing (HIV related) to worry about.

- matt

Now playing: the rain outside my window

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:33:54 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline AaronbytheC

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:31 pm »
To be belt and braces, check you have the same HIV sub-type and similar resistance tests. then there's nothing (HIV related) to worry about.

;D ;D  I'm seeing a whole new type of Craigslist ad coming!  hehehe
04/2012 CD4 721 / 29% / VL UD
02/2011 UNDETECTABLE!
12/2010 CD4 587 / 24% / VL 210
11/2010 Started Atripla
10/2010 CD4 420 / 18% / VL 13,500
09/2010 CD4 541 / 17% / VL 10,500
08/2010 CD4 498 / 18% / VL Not Taken
07/2010 CD4 307 / 18% / VL 9,500
06/2010 Confirmed Poz
03/2010 Infected
06/2009 Neg

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:42 am »
;D ;D  I'm seeing a whole new type of Craigslist ad coming!  hehehe

Man, I don't know what you're craigslist ads look like, but theres no way any of the troglodyte queens in my city are gonna be able to keep up with varying resistance and profile types.  Shoot, even if they were able to say something that conveys more intelligence than "Wife's away, come blow me today", its unlikely that those with unusual or highly resisntant strains would be honest as 99.99% of them already insist that they're "100% D/D FREE AND LOOKING FOR HOT BAREBACK ACTION".
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.