Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:56:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 456
Total: 457

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Condom Broke, Insertive Partner  (Read 7613 times)

Offline salt2233

• Standard
Condom Broke, Insertive Partner
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:20:08 pm »
Hello, POZ Community/FORUM!

Gay male here!

About 4 months ago, I had to inevitably end my 3 year relationship with the love of my life, sad but true, turned out he fell out of love and in love with some other dude! There was little closure, but it was definitely a breakup, end of a chapter. It has been difficult for me. Because of the overwhelming heartache, I immediately began to play the field: meaningless sex, pointless dates, lonely nights. And in just 3 months of being single, I had sex with at least 9 different partners... (sigh) but hey, I always used protection! Oral? No condom was used. I might as well be honest ;(

ANYWAY... here it goes...

About 2 weeks ago, sometime late September, I had casual sex with someone I sure as hell don't know; granted, I learned his name after having sex with him, much older than me, too.

After inserting my penis in his rectum (went in for the kill with very little lube), the condom broke making a big pop! That scared me! A lot!

I immediately pulled out and put on a new condom prior to continuing with anal penetration. I asked if we were clear of any sexually transmitted infections or diseases right there and then. He confirmed that he was HIV -. Even before having sex with him, he had informed me he was HIV -, had tested a long time ago ... Just have that icky feeling about it, can't really take his word, especially because he was bothered when I asked him about his HIV status prior to having sex. But obviously that didn't stop me or him. Talk about red flag!

Also, after we had sex, we stayed in touch for a bit. I brought up the incident and asked repeatedly to confirm if he in fact was HIV -. He replied that we were fine, he was STD free. I ended up telling him that I couldn't trust that, so he stopped texting. Done deal.

I must have been inside him, bare, for a total of 3-10 seconds, tops... if that's helpful to you guys... AND I did not cum inside him, at all. Pre-cum? Maybe. Oh, and the condom ripped all the way to the base of my penis, exposing my head and shaft.

Got tested on Oct 7 as a baseline test, rapid test for free at a nice clinic, love staff there... Neg! Yay.

Planning on testing in two weeks, that is on Oct 21... don't know if that would help but oh well...

The truth of the matter is... I am scared, depressed and disappointed in myself. The love of my life left me, and now I have to face with the probability and possibility of being diagnosed with something that will definitely change my life, negatively. Guess I just need the scientific facts, research to back it up, support, guidance and friendship, a piece of advice...

So, am I at great risk?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Condom Broke, Insertive Partner
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:11 pm »
Its rare for the insertive partner to go on and test positive after a condom break like you described but it was a risk all the same . You can test at 6 weeks past the incident and again at 3 months to confirm the results .

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline salt2233

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:34 am »
Got it. Thank you.

I stumbled upon this thread: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=44963.0

On August 24, 2012, user Ann said, "I've yet to see the insertive partner test positive following a condom break and I don't expect you to be the first, PEP or no PEP", of course she was referring to the person who originally started the thread.

What are your thoughts on that?

Ultimately, what can I do to have an HIV-free life or a relatively STD-STI-free life for that matter? Is too much protected sex risky sex?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:54:46 am »
In the ten plus years I have been doing risk assessment on this forum, I have also never seen an insertive partner test positive after a condom break.

HIV is a difficult virus to transmit under the most ideal circumstances (unprotected receptive anal sex) and when you factor in the astonishingly small vulnerable area of the insertive partner (the urethra) and the very few specific cells that HIV can infect (CD4 and certain dendritic cells) you really have a perfect storm situation that has yet to be borne out in any realistic sense.

*modified to add:

Too much protected sex is NOT risky sex. You need to be aware, however, that some STDs can be transmitted through the safest of precautions. Syphilis is one. This is why you ought to get a complete STD panel every six months just to make certain you are free of STDs (or can be properly treated if you are not).

Until you are in a mutually monogamous relationship and have been tested together at the appropriate times, then you need to take precautions and monitor your sexual health.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:03:00 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:42:59 am »
Salt,

The only thing I can add to the spot-on advice you've already received is this - don't ever believe what a guy tells you about his hiv status - unless of course he's honest enough to say he's poz. Too many "negative" people only think they're hiv negative and unfortunately, some will lie.

Even if someone got tested that day, it only means they were negative between six and twelve weeks ago. If they were infected say, two weeks ago, chances are they'd be highly infectious due to the typically sky-high viral load in primary infection.

You've been doing the right thing by insisting on condoms. It doesn't matter how many people you have sex with, what matters it that you are consistently protecting yourself with condoms. And as Jonathan mentioned, make sure you get regular, complete sexual health check-ups. Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

Hope you find "Mr. Right" soon, and keep up the good work with the condoms in the meantime. When you do find Mr. Right, make sure you continue using condoms until at least three months into the relationship when you can both obtain conclusive negative hiv results. Good luck!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline salt2233

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:13 pm »
Thank you Ann for the encouragement.

jkinatl2, I thank you for your professionalism and insight.

I guess ultimately what has me on a very hard trip is the fact that I am in a weak emotional state right now and obviously the guilt; all of this is very new to me. All these intrusive thoughts pop into my head; and well, I don't want to waste my youth growing up, my life changing over some incident. I am trying my best to keep my mind off of ban mental trips or negative loops. Whether I was at great risk or not, it's not the end of the world. Having those thoughts is completely unnecessary.

I have already scheduled my tests for the 6 week margin and the 3 month margin. I also scheduled blood work for any other STD's with my doctor.

I won't lie, I am a little scared, but life goes on and things will be ok.

Whatever the results are at 6 weeks, I will be sure to come to terms with it and learn/advocate safe sex and encourage others to learn the facts about HIV transmission and prevention. I hope to one day serve the community like all of you guys do! Thank you once again!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.