Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:18:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 511
Total: 513

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question on ARS  (Read 5754 times)

Offline foxes

Question on ARS
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »
The flu-like symptoms I had that prompted me eventually to get testing started on July 21st. But it didn't just last a little while and then go away. It dragged on for weeks and weeks... almost all my symptoms are gone now, but I still have some: some swollen lymph nodes, odd bouts of tiredness, bodily weirdness.

My first appointment at the clinic isn't until Friday, and that's just to do paperwork. I don't think I even get to see a doctor yet. Should I be concerned? Should I be pushing them to move the process faster?

Offline jimbalaya

Re: Question on ARS
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:01:43 pm »
I was 'lucky' and never really had any symptoms during conversion...but my partner had fevers for 5 weeks....it was miserable....but his body leveled out on its own....he ended up going in the hospital because they couldn't figure out what was going on (they even thought it might be lymphoma), and that's where he tested positive.  In the hospital his viral load was 3 million, but after he got out and we met with our ID doc (which was 3 weeks later), his viral load had dropped down to 100,000.  I think that you are ok to wait for your appointment, I wouldn't stress too much about it.   Good luck!     :D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:43:43 am »
The flu-like symptoms I had that prompted me eventually to get testing started on July 21st. But it didn't just last a little while and then go away. It dragged on for weeks and weeks... almost all my symptoms are gone now, but I still have some: some swollen lymph nodes, odd bouts of tiredness, bodily weirdness.

My first appointment at the clinic isn't until Friday, and that's just to do paperwork. I don't think I even get to see a doctor yet. Should I be concerned? Should I be pushing them to move the process faster?

Technically, the "swollen lymph nodes, odd bouts of tiredness, bodily weirdness" are not still ARS. The initial flu-like illness you experienced was, but that has long since passed.

ARS is actually the body's reaction to the production of antibodies. It's not caused by the virus itself. The body produces certain chemicals during this time and one in particular, interferon, is notorious for causing flu-like symptoms. This reaction to antibody production is why ARS is also known as "seroconversion illness". As you have already seroconverted, you are no longer experiencing ARS.

Seroconversion means that your blood (sero, from serum) has converted (changed) or is converting from hiv negative to hiv positive. This occurs when enough antibodies have been produced to trigger a "reactive" aka positive, antibody test result.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't still be feeling unwell. Your body is fighting an almighty fight right now, trying to get hiv under some semblance of control. Your body will be busy lowering your viral load as much as it can and that takes a lot of energy, hence the tiredness and general weirdness.

Many people continue to have swollen lymph nodes for some time after initial infection and this just means your body is doing its job. A word to the wise - keep your hands off them. Touching them all the time to see if they're still swollen can actually irritate them and keep them swollen. Hands off!

When you're at the clinic on Friday, ask if you can have a brief discussion with a doctor. There may also be an hiv nurse-practitioner available for a quick chat. When you ask about seeing someone, stress that you are worried because you're still feeling ill. Be polite, but firm. More likely than not they will understand and try to help you out.

What you're experiencing isn't really anything to worry about, but a face-to-face chat with someone knowledgeable should put you more at ease and that alone can go a long way to making you feel better in general. 

Hang in there, you are going to be ok.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:46:07 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline foxes

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:52:43 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:45:55 am »
You're welcome, Foxes. Please let us know what happens on Friday.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline foxes

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:40:49 pm »
Answered lots of questions, got lots of blood drawn... go back on the 19th to find out results and move forward. Trying to be patient.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.