Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:04:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 178
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mastermind Mental Barrier! You can, if you think you can.  (Read 12518 times)

Offline hope4love

• Every Problem has a Solution.
Mastermind Mental Barrier! You can, if you think you can.
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:04:07 am »
Have you heard of Roger Bannister? He was the first athlete to run the mile in less than four minutes.

In doing so, he not only broke the four-minute barrier, but also taught us all a valuable lesson.

Back in the 1950's, the world record - 4 minutes 1.4 seconds - was held by Sweden's Ginder Haegg. The record stood for several years since it was set in 1945. Athletes, experts and the world were convinced that it was impossible to run a mile in less than four minutes. Some even argued that the human body was biologically incapable of running the mile in less than four minutes!

And then, on 6th May, 1954, Roger Bannister did the impossible. He broke the four minute barrier, finishing the race in 3 minutes, 59.4 seconds.

His rival - Charles Landy - had thrice run the mile in less than 4 minutes 2 seconds without breaching the 4 minute mark. The four minute barrier was "like a wall", Landy had said. But guess what? Just 56 days after Bannister's feat, Landy ran the mile in 3 minutes 57.9 seconds. And by 1957, 16 athletes around the world ran the mile in under 4 minutes. The 4 minute mental barrier was truly shattered!

What really happened? Did coaches get smarter and teach the athletes new techniques? Did running shoes get more sophisticated? Did bodies suddenly get stronger? No. The 4 minute barrier it turned out was not a physiological one - just a mental one! As Roger Bannister explained later, it seemed illogical that you could run a mile in 4 minutes and a bit, but not break 4 minutes. His mind refused to accept that barrier. That made all the difference.

Once that mental barrier was broken by Bannister, everyone believed it could be done! And once the belief changed, the rest was easy.

It's important to understand that our achievements in life are limited not by what we can do, but by what we think we can do. More than ability, it's our attitude that makes the difference. As Henry Ford said, "If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you are right".

You will probably find your mind constantly grappling with two competing thoughts: 'I can't!' and 'I can!' How do you ensure the 'I can' wins? How can we break our mental barrier of 'I can't'?

There was a man in Alaska who had a black dog and a white dog. His dog fights attracted large crowds. Every week people would bet on which dog would win. Sometimes the black dog won, and sometimes the white one. One lady noticed that no matter which dog won, the owner always bet on the right dog, and won each week. When the man retired the two dogs, the lady asked him the secret.

"Simple," said the man. "I always bet on the dog I had been feeding all week."

So whether 'I can't' wins in your mind or 'I can', depends on which thought you are feeding!

Feed the 'I can' dog in your mind. The thought you feed, grows! Focus on your strengths, and they will grow. Or keep thinking of your weaknesses and your fears. And unfortunately they'll grow too.

You won't always find a Bannister to break your mental barrier. You need to do it yourself. Once you start feeding the 'I can' thought, you will achieve more than you ever thought was possible
Jan 2009 - Sero Negative
Jan 2010 - Sero Positive
               CD4 - 275, VL - 18,000
Oct 2010 - CD4 - 241, Started - Vonavir; Oct 2011 - CD4 - 474;Jan 2012 - CD4-620; Aug 2012-CD4-600, VL- UD; Jan 2013 CD4-493, VL-72 IU/ml   (Blip)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Mastermind Mental Barrier! You can, if you think you can.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:32:15 am »
You should credit your sources.

MtD

Offline hope4love

• Every Problem has a Solution.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:11 am »
Yes I should have mentioned this at the beginning of the article. Apologies. This article is from "Prakash Iyer - who is MD, Kimberly-Clark, and executive coach" and found inspiring me and hope it does to many...Prakash Iyer is also the author of the book 'The Habit of Winning'.
Jan 2009 - Sero Negative
Jan 2010 - Sero Positive
               CD4 - 275, VL - 18,000
Oct 2010 - CD4 - 241, Started - Vonavir; Oct 2011 - CD4 - 474;Jan 2012 - CD4-620; Aug 2012-CD4-600, VL- UD; Jan 2013 CD4-493, VL-72 IU/ml   (Blip)

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:45 am »

If you think you can , then you can

If you think you can't , then you can't .. ask any professional golfer, or any other professional sports person.

If you can conquer your mind, you can conquer most of your problems.

Meditation and visualisation technique is a good starting point, just my experience

december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:35:03 am »

If you think you can , then you can

If you think you can't , then you can't .. ask any professional golfer, or any other professional sports person.

If you can conquer your mind, you can conquer most of your problems.

Meditation and visualisation technique is a good starting point, just my experience

You don't actually believe this shit, do you?

MtD

Offline sam66

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:45:47 am »
You don't actually believe this shit, do you?

MtD

Clearly for some people ignorance is bliss

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:57 am »
  Clearly for some people ignorance is bliss

Ignorance is bliss where 'tis folly to be wise.

If you wanna do something more than chuck cliches about let me know.

MtD

Offline sam66

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:43:57 am »

Pistols at dawn ? :o

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:04:23 am »
  Pistols at dawn ? :o

I don't know who Dawn is and I'm not sure why want to shoot her, but knock yerself out.

MtD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:40 am »
I totally buy the first part about mental conditioning for sports.  Its only half the story because it goes hand in hand with physical training and learning from the experts and history.  Anyone who has been successful in competitive sports knows he's not 100% master of his own success. 

The self-help argument lost cred in the grifter's starving dog fight scam to feeding the brain fucked up analogy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline sam66

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:15 am »
 Anyone who has been successful in competitive sports knows he's not 100% master of his own success.  

True Mecc,
                  Luck and conditions are just two of other factors , in the case of golf, your competitors may be more adopt in playing in cold, windy, wet or hot weather than you are.

You can only be the master of demons inside your head.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:40:22 am by sam66 »

Offline sam66

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 11:39:46 am »
Mecch
        May be I should have added, state where you are in controll of your emotions what some refer to as being in the "Zone" is probably far more important in individual sports than team sports.

To be in the zone, to keep euphoria, adrenalin rush, fear, anger, frustration and 101 other emotions in check; trying to cross the winning line before you get there;  for four hours,  nothing like it....

Better than any drug I ever tried

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:54:57 pm »
I ran marathons I know!  Miss that "I weigh nothing and can go on forever" feeling.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:04 am »
Have you heard of Roger Bannister?

I've heard of Howard Bannister.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Lora

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »
t'is so true!! if you believe you can then the hell not!?!?

I'm not religious but i'm a true believer in mind over matter - you can acheive whatever you put your mind to!!

Stop being so negative Matty  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.