Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:20:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 323
Total: 323

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being Vegan and being positive???  (Read 8077 times)

Offline RemyG1971

• E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa Try it to end the panic
Being Vegan and being positive???
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »
I seem to do more research than my Doctor. Each and every appointment I have, I came in with a list of how I am feeling since the last time we saw each other, how I am doing diet wise, sleep wise & workout wise. When the topic comes to diet and the questions that I have for them, they generally have no idea. I have actually asked a few questions and told they had no idea what I was talking about.

Well I have been a Vegetarian for a while now and recently began the journey to Veganism.

Of course I am concerned about my current Rx regimen and going Vegan.

Is anyone else out there Vegan if so what benefits have come your way in regards to living this type of lifestyle?

If you have some horror stories in regards to this lifestyle I would love to hear that as well.  :o

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Being Vegan and being positive???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 12:16:59 pm »
It's not so much being concerned about your HIV meds vis-a-vis going vegan, but just HIV infection in that regards. Is there a reason that your doctor can't refer you to a proper nutritionist experienced with HIV patients for this topic?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »
It's not so much being concerned about your HIV meds vis-a-vis going vegan, but just HIV infection in that regards. Is there a reason that your doctor can't refer you to a proper nutritionist experienced with HIV patients for this topic?

My Doctor did send me to see a Nutritionist but quite frankly I knew more about Nutrition than they did. When we met the Nutrition before I even spoke said you should do this this & this. I responded I am doing this, this & this and that, that & that. When I posed direct questions they did not have answers other than what was printed on the paper in front of them.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:25:30 pm »
Maybe you should try a second one, but this time inquire when making the appointment if they have experience with these two issues. I mean frankly it's a bit of niche market looking for HIV vegan experience in the first place so perhaps your expectations are too high.

Let's put it this way as well -- has any medical professional tried to warn you off doing this or have they basically said it's no big deal? And if they've tried to warn you off have they at least given you a worse case scenario of things to look out for so if "x, y, z" begins happening then you know to run in for an appointment?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:27:45 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:38:43 pm »
Maybe you should try a second one, but this time inquire when making the appointment if they have experience with these two issues. I mean frankly it's a bit of niche market looking for HIV vegan experience in the first place so perhaps your expectations are too high.

Let's put it this way as well -- has any medical professional tried to warn you off doing this or have they basically said it's no big deal? And if they've tried to warn you off have they at least given you a worse case scenario of things to look out for so if "x, y, z" begins happening then you know to run in for an appointment?

Good point I will do that.

No they have not warned me of anything as of yet. I tend to keep close tabs on everything health related and my Doctors hear from me whenever I suspect something wrong. I had a small outbreak of shingles after sleeping in a Hotel bed for work. I told the Doctor what I thought I had, had them fax a Rx to local Pharmacy and never went into the Office.

I workout like a beast 6 days a week and tend to think I eat right. I am going the Vegan route for Health and for the ethical treatment of animals. As a pet parent and see the each individual personality of each one of my pets I can no longer in good conscience eat meat or animal products. I am not trying to convert anyone these are my personal beliefs.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »
Your immune system is close to normal reading your cd4 actual and % numbers so as long as doctors aren't waving a red flag, and as long as your observant of getting proper daily intake of whatever nutrients one usually gets from animal sources in a vegan diet then I see no reason to stress about it really.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:33:33 pm »
My ASO has a registered "HIV Wellness Dietician" who consults with clients on their dietary needs.  I would imagine most ASO's have similar services available.

Offline livingmmy9lives

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »
I have to commend you on your reasons for going vegan. I think if more people would do the same it would be a better world. I am mostly vegan though on occasion I do eat cheese or some seafood. I haven't had any problems related to my diet at all. Good luck to you.
Diagnosed 1988.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.