Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 332
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Best president on HIV/AIDS? W! (WTF???!!!???)  (Read 4767 times)

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Best president on HIV/AIDS? W! (WTF???!!!???)
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:53 am »
I didn't write this drivel, but a Gay Republican did;  and a Philadelphia newspaper published it

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20080709_Best_president_on_AIDS__W_.html

Opinion

Bush 'Best President' on Fight Against HIV/AIDS, Opinion Piece Says

Although HIV/AIDS was "promoted as an important reason" for gays and lesbians to elect former Democratic President Clinton in 1992, it is "unquestionable" that Republican President Bush "has done more to fight AIDS than any president in history," David Benkof of GaysDefendMarriage.com writes in a Philadelphia Daily News opinion piece. The "people pushing Bush to fight the epidemic at home and abroad are overwhelmingly conservative Christians -- the same people we keep hearing gay leaders tar as narrow-minded and bigoted" -- Benkof writes.

According to Benkof, such conservatives "deserve far more credit for relieving suffering from HIV in this decade than gay men and lesbians did in the previous two decades combined." He adds that the "gay community has moved on to issues like marriage, while millions, many men of color who have sex with men, are still suffering from" HIV/AIDS.

Clinton's last budget contained less than $1 billion for both domestic and global HIV/AIDS efforts, Benkof writes, adding that the U.S. under Bush spends $3 billion annually on the issue, with potential increases because of legislation to reauthorize the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief at higher levels. In addition, the Bush administration is attempting to repeal travel restrictions on HIV-positive foreign visitors and immigrants, a policy "the supposedly pro-gay Clinton administration signed into law," Benkof writes. Benkof also says that Bush has "not hesitated to appoint openly gay experts on the disease to top posts. ... By contrast, President Clinton had no openly gay AIDS czars."

According to Benkof, Bush's HIV/AIDS efforts "have done little to convince gays and lesbians that on at least one of their top issues, Republicans have performed better than Democrats." Benkof writes, "For years, I've been asked, 'How can you be a gay Republican?' In 2008, I can answer, 'Because on one of the gay community's top priorities, Republicans outshine Democrats hands down'" (Benkof, Philadelphia Daily News, 7/9).
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
Re: Best president on HIV/AIDS? W! (WTF???!!!???)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:26:02 am »
The guys numbers are all wrong and in the Bush admin there have been constant cuts in Ryan White, Medicaid, Hopwa, and ADAP. He is wrong and how can he publish false information in a Newspaper.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.