Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 362
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An on-going thread  (Read 321039 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: An on-going thread
« Reply #300 on: August 06, 2014, 10:22:19 am »
It takes forever for referrerls at UAB where I see most of my doctors . I got tired of all that so I get my GP to call and get me in for some things in a weeks time or sometime the same day if its doable . It would not apply to my pain management, those doctors are booked months in advance .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2014, 05:29:28 am »
You can only imagine how difficult it is to express my concerns to my doctor when I can't even do it here correctly. :o  I've been told that my issues probably aren't neuropathy related.  I guess I'm not properly explaining the issues with my legs.  My level of pain isn't so great compared with what you all share.  But I question if I've lost the ability to actually feel the pain? 

It can be difficult to explain the pain from neuropathy accurately.  I mean, does it sound logical if someone tells you a part of their body is numb, yet they feel electrical charges through it?  If it's numb, how can that happen? 

I totally get it.  I go through it.  It's also difficult explaining to someone the level of pain I have in my knees due to the AVN/osteoarthritis.  Yesterday at work we had to learn defensive moves, so I was on my feet for 2 and 1/2 hours.  For some, that's no issue.  But when you're talking about knees that are bone on bone, that's extremely taxing. 

This morning I'm very, very achy.  And I've been up since 3 am.  Yesterday, after leaving work at 5, I had to go get the ladies for my HIV support group, and facilitate the group, then give the ladies a ride home.  The mileage, from picking up the ladies to taking them home, was 52 miles.  And I didn't get home until around 9:30 pm.  So, I'm also bitchy lol. 

I think we LTS'ers are pretty tough.  We've had to endure extreme hardship, and yet we go on.  We had serious physical issues, but go on.   We just keep puttering along lol.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2014, 10:07:26 am »
Oh Betty, that sounds dreadfully tiresome.  Just keep remembering the end prize.  How much longer are your classes/courses? 

When you're done, perhaps it's time to plan a long weekend get together.  There are many of us located nearby that we could easily do an inexpensive weekend.  (Just not Detroit).  lol

I had the most glorious day yesterday.  I spent the entire day outdoors, finally completing a couple of projects that have been stressing me something terribly.  My work shop is finally organized and looking good.  My 220 sub panel is complete along with my phone line and cable tv. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »
Just got back from four hours at the dentist: second crown build-up in six months
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: August 09, 2014, 06:29:16 am »
Greg, I only have one more week of classes.  I believe I will be working primarily weekends.  When I filled out the application I told them I only wanted very part-time, since I'm still doing my other job.  So, the lady said they needed help on the 2nd shift on the weekends and wanted to know if I could do that and I said that would be no problem.  I'm not doing anything else after all.

Getting together would be a blast.  I know Jeff lives close, and I'm sure there are some others (well, not that Jeff lives close, but he's within traveling distance I think).  As long as it's during the week.  Indy?  Don't worry, I wouldn't choose Detroit.  I have relatives there, that's where my parents met.  Well, they live in the outlying areas.  But it's not like I want to go there anytime soon. 

Now, what is a 220 sub panel?  I'm guessing that's what the cables you are talking about go into?  That's very handy you are able to complete all those tasks.  Saves quite a bit of cash I'm sure.  How are you healing?

David, sorry about your ongoing dental issues.  Sometimes having dentures is a blessing, in that I don't have to visit the dentist anymore.  However, I would much rather have my teeth, so I could eat whatever I want.  And I always had to have a lot of work done on my teeth; bad teeth run in my family.

I had to take two tests yesterday; passed them both.  Two of the girls in my class didn't pass.  They weren't that difficult, just tricky questions.  Next week, at the end, we have CPR/first aid, for people who are not certified in these, which I am not.  The trainer told me if I could not kneel, and want to just sit, as long as I could compress the chest down 2 inches, she would have no problems.  She also said if I would like to do the first aid separate from the other people in the class, she would be willing to have me do it privately.  So, that's cool because I was worried about that.  Kneeling is quite the task, and then I have to kneel totally upright, I can't "sit back" while kneeling. 

My friend that I live with (Kathy) had pest control out for the raccoons.  The man put out two traps.  The first night the traps were out, a really big raccoon wandered into one.  They are not the type that cut heads off; they simply snap shut when the raccoon enters.  Well, the big guy was rattling the cage.  When I got up in the morning and turned on the light out on the deck and looked out, there he was, laying there, looking up at me with sad eyes.  So, I couldn't look at him for long because I started feeling sorry for him.  The man who did the traps said it was a male.  So I was thinking, where's the mama?  And for the next couple nights, nothing.  So Kathy and I were thinking maybe the man got the sex wrong and it was the mother; after all, how does one tell what sex a raccoon is?  Not like you can check them yourself.

Well, night before last, the mother wandered into the trap.  She was very adamant about wanting to get out and spent more time rattling the cage than the male did.  The man came and removed her yesterday, and left a trap.  We have no idea where the babies are.  Well, they're not little babies anymore.  We are wondering if they moved on, or if a coyote got them.  We do have a few of those around.  The Critter Ridder was not going to cover the whole area the raccoons were wandering into; they resided in the woody area right by our house.  So, that's what happened with that drama lol.. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline wolfter

« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:15 pm »

Now, what is a 220 sub panel?  I'm guessing that's what the cables you are talking about go into?  That's very handy you are able to complete all those tasks.  Saves quite a bit of cash I'm sure.  How are you healing?

My home has 200 amp service.  I ran a 60amp, 220 volt lines out to a sub panel in my work shop.  I also wired it to accomdate a whole house generator.  Considering a natural gas unit but it's about twice the cost, but more convenient.

Also got the the cable and phone installed. 

I really like Indy.  I've spent several weekends there in the past.  Bill and I would go there when we visited his kids while they attended BGU.  We should do this before Winter kicks in.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2014, 04:17:19 pm »
Betty, your truly amaze me doing everything do! Women's group, seeking and training for a new job, moving, and all with a healing broken hip! So much for doing it backwards and in high heels. You have that beat by a mile.

David, ugh. 4 hours in "the chair". Not sure what a crown buildup even is. Much more to go? I've had crowns but the just put in a temporary one until the permanent one is ready. My bottom teeth are giving me trouble. I think they are just getting worn down. The aggravation is on the top edges so at least it's not gum or root related. Not sure what can be done as he has already put some bonding material on 4 of them at $200. a whack.

Greg, I don't usually respond much to your comments as we chat often enough to get caught up. Thought I would mention it so it doesn't look like a snub. lol.

We went to a double graduation party yesterday. Two kids from the same family. It was nice to get out for a change. I worked with the mother over 30 years ago she as well as three of her kids have worked for us over the years. They had three kids and wanted a fourth. Well, the fourth turned out to be triplets. lol. I knew them all since birth but haven't seen several in over a decade. Nice day.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2014, 08:51:59 pm »
You're too cute honey.  we discuss more in a few minutes than we could ever type.  :)

We might even allow NE peeps to join us. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2014, 09:09:14 pm »

We might even allow NE peeps to join us.

When does the limo arrive?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:14 pm »
It's always about the girls.  So whenever Mrs Betty says a date is good I'll work my magic and be there with bells on.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: August 11, 2014, 03:41:55 am »
It's always about the girls.  So whenever Mrs Betty says a date is good I'll work my magic and be there with bells on.

Aw, thanks Greg.  Let me get through this last week of training, see what my schedule is going to be, and then we can start planning.  Indy would be the best; it would be better, I think, to do this (as you said Greg) before the winter season.  Lord knows what that will bring this year, hopefully not like last year.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »
Betty, you truly are amazing honey.  I don't know how you do it!

I am still managing to work my little part-time job, which is really full time work that I cram into three days.   I find myself becoming more impatient with people, and that's not good.  I have had one lady who CONTINUES to send me Obama "hate emails", and rants, etc, which I usually IGNORE.  Today, however, it just hit me wrong and I let her have it with both barrels.  She sent a sweet apology. 

I agree with you, we LTSers are a strong bunch.  My partner's been given a "pat on the back" diagnosis by a SUBSTITUTE doctor (his own doctor was out of town), of "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".  I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said "your clinic providers have done extensive testing and research and this is the best answer we can give you for all your debilitating muscle aches and fatigue".   Uhhh...extensive?  the ONLY thing they have done is blood work!  No neurologist referrals...nothing.   I think it is the 'thing' to just shove us LTS "on down the road", get us out the door, and not spend any time on us.   At least, that is how it feels.   

Well, we'll get over this hump and keep on keeping on.   HUGS to all of you

Alan    :D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:43 pm »
Funny you should mention hump, Alan.

My recent doctor visit went pretty benignly. The HIV is well controlled, my lipids are almost OK.

But, the CPKs are still above 600 despite my efforts to do no exercises two weeks prior to having the blood drawn.

Another down side is my hump is growing again. So is at least one of the lumps at the base of my skull.

The doctor checked and confirmed what I feared was happening.

He asked if I wanted another referral for another surgery. I said no, at least, not now.

I doubt I would go through that again even if it does come back as big as ever. It was not a pleasant experience.

If it starts to cause other maladies, then maybe.

I really can't complain. After reading about Miss P and the difficulties he has been having, my hump is basically a vanity issue.

And so it goes.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:01:33 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2014, 04:57:34 am »
Alan, thanks, that means a lot coming from you.  I just do what I have to, and when it seems like my legs won't go anymore (mostly because of my knees lol), I just tell myself to keep going.  Plus Christmas is coming, and I have 3 grandchildren to buy for.  Plus a daughter and various as sundry other relatives, friends. 

I'm so sorry to hear about what your partner is experiencing.  I agree with you, it seems a lot of doctors don't want to deal with us.  I keep thinking that someday the doctors will be wiser about LTS'ers, but by that time we will be gone.  I know my doctor is so very busy, and doesn't think much of what happens.  He is referring me to a neurologist, though, I just don't know when.  When his office makes referrals, it usually means 3-4 months later that you'll be seeing the referred doctor.  But, your  partner should insist on a better explanation if you tihnk something else is going on.  Don't settle for poor care.  I know, easier said than done.

Yesterday we had to demonstrate we could drive the company's vans safely.  One of my co-workers almost killed us lol.  She wasn't aware that in older vans, the brake petal is difficult to get pushed down (you have to push harder), and when she took the corner, the van almost tipped over.  Needless to say, I don't think she passed. 

I'm very, very tired.  I woke up this morning at 2:45 am.  My daughter called at 3, and I just got off the phone with her a few minutes ago. 

The raccoons are gone I believe.  The parents were moved to a far away location, and I believe the babies have relocated.  There was a groundhog, though, under the house so the pest control man put down a trap and apparently it caughter the animal yesterday.  But, it wasn't the type of trap that just catches the animal so the man can relocate it.  It was one that killed him, unfortunately. They are mean, though, and very destructive. 

I hope everyone's doing well.  I would love to go back to sleep, but it's too late now. Which is fine, I'll probably fall asleep in training again lol.  I hope everyone is doing well. 

Betty

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2014, 05:40:26 am »
If you need to upgrade from xp etc to windows 7 or 8,try newegg.com . They have sales often under 100 bucks.However by upgrade I mean a whole new os.you'll have to save your documents on cd/dvd or such.There just aren't many 'upgrades' that let you keep all your info anymore.And the ones that are available (if) will be 2x the cost.Most importantly you need a copy of all your "drivers". Just in case windows disk doesn't have them.Audio,video,lan .you can get them from pc manufacturer,such as hp,dell .
Lee
prezista with a kick from norvir,
Truvada, Intellence. celexa,xanax.Revolving statin

Offline wolfter

« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2014, 08:34:42 am »
Alan, sorry your partner is dealing with this crap.  I shook my head as I recalled a ridiculous diagnosis I rec'd probably 15 years ago.  I was rotating between extreme exhaustion for extended periods to times of unbelievable energy.  "Occasional chronic fatigue syndrome".  I was like WTF!!!  It can't be chronic if it's occasional. 

I've said before, I'm not sure how I survived with that idiot doctor.  Everything was just a result of HIV infection.  (including a ruptured, ulcerated duoduodenal ulcer).

Betty, unfortunately groundhogs are quite dangerous.  Not only in terms of being vicious but the problems they cause around your property.  My grandfather was a mounted posey deputy who raised quarterhorses.  When I was very young, one of the mares was running across the pasture and her leg went into a groundhog hole.  In those days, not many options but to put the poor thing down. 

I've not much cared them since.

I've quit taking the pain pills even though they really helped with sleep.  I think they were having negative affects on my mood.  For the past week or so, I've just felt "off". 

When do we get to see a new and improved smile from MissP ?  After all that work, his smile should pert near be as fabulous as mine.  :)

Offline weasel

« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2014, 10:26:54 am »

A quot from Greg  :  " I've quit taking the pain pills even though they really helped with sleep.  I think they were having negative affects on my mood.  For the past week or so, I've just felt "off". "

I have been taking Pain pills after ripping my thigh muscles , my mood
  has been depressed  :(

The leg is getting better so I have stopped them .
  I take trazadone for sleep , I occasionally go for a few days to see if I can
 sleep naturally  ; it does not work out well , I just get so tired I can't get
 off the couch  :'(

Alan , My mother suffered from Chronic Fatigue for many years . It was
  sad that nothing was ever able to help her .  Not sure Doctors really know
  what it is .  I do think that is a reason " reds " were so popular  ::)

Betty , I read most of what you write , I only wish perkiness was contagious :)   

Carl

P.S. Bob and I are going to can 15 gallons of Roma tomatoes today  ;D

P.P.S.   Greg we tried one of jars I thought was over Cilantroed , apparently
 cooking in the water bath mellowed the flavors . It is super yummy ! 
" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:21 am »
You can differently than I do Carl.  I don't do the boiled jar method for salsa.  But I'm glad the taste mellowed.  I can't stomach cilantro, it's way too bitter for my liking.  I bring my salsa to a boil while my jars heat in the over.  I fill the jars, cap em and turn them upside down.  Much easier and they always seal.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:57 am »
Carl, I know what you mean about attempting to sleep without Trazodone. It turns out to be a night of tossing and turning and the next day becomes a foggy blur. Oh well, another pill. :P

15 gallons of toomaters?!! Wow! Send me some lasagna please. :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2014, 11:35:40 am »
Carl, I know what you mean about attempting to sleep without Trazodone. It turns out to be a night of tossing and turning and the next day becomes a foggy blur. Oh well, another pill. :P

15 gallons of toomaters?!! Wow! Send me some lasagna please. :)

I'm assuming and hoping he means 3, 5 gallon buckets.  :)  15 gallons of prepared tomatoes is a lot.  Mom went down home every season and picked up a truck bed full of maters.  Our family leases all the homestead farm down yonder to a large grower and we can have as many as we want.  I'm thinking it was usually about 10 - 12 5 gallon buckets full. 

Sometimes it grated my nerves to spend so much time canning with her but I'm already saddened by that loss this year. 

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »
Did someone say coffee?? where? yes please
Lee

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »
I just picked up two bags of coffee beans on my way back from the Head House Farmer's Market: Costa Rican Jardin de Aromas Finca Quizzara and Honduran Juan Jose Alvarado Finca Buena Vista; both roasted by Dogwood Coffee of Minneapolis via our newly opened, lesbian owned coffee bar Menagerie on S. 3rd St, Old City.

They also gave me a free cortado while I was there.

#majcoffeesnob

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »
they should give you a free cortado just for being able to pronounce those coffee names!
Lee

Offline mitch777

« Reply #323 on: August 26, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »
So, I had my MOHS surgery done this morning at Yale. Geez, they took out a chunk the size of a penny! Stitched under the skin then more stitches on top to close up the 2" slice.

Most of the time was waiting for results of the tissue. Spent 3 1/2 hours there but they send you into a waiting room with coffee, bagels, and pastries.  8)

Oh, and they said I will most likely get a black eye. Haven't had one of those since I was a kid.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #324 on: August 26, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »
So, I had my MOHS surgery done this morning at Yale. Geez, they took out a chunk the size of a penny! Stitched under the skin then more stitches on top to close up the 2" slice.

Most of the time was waiting for results of the tissue. Spent 3 1/2 hours there but they send you into a waiting room with coffee, bagels, and pastries.  8)

Oh, and they said I will most likely get a black eye. Haven't had one of those since I was a kid.

Thanks for thew update ... get some rest now you hear .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2014, 05:51:34 pm »
Mitch  if you haven't had a black eye since you were a kid then you must've been living in some very dull hoods.

Good to here you survived your surgical 'street cred'.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #326 on: August 27, 2014, 07:03:34 pm »
Mitch  if you haven't had a black eye since you were a kid then you must've been living in some very dull hoods.

Good to here you survived your surgical 'street cred'.

Just a milk toast life. What can I say. Guess I will have to settle with the surgical Cred. Too funny. Glad to see you noticed my trauma and drama.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #327 on: August 27, 2014, 08:20:50 pm »

Hope you're healing well and quickly. !  Ed had this done ( MOHS) a little while back and it took about the same amount of time.  Four times they had to cut on him.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #328 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02:16 pm »

Hope you're healing well and quickly. !  Ed had this done ( MOHS) a little while back and it took about the same amount of time.  Four times they had to cut on him.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Just was kinda surprised at the extent of it this time. I went through this last year or the year before , just in a better area and less carving.This near-the-eye crap. ugh. Im sure all will be well and good in no time. I just like to bitch about petty stuff like this that keeps interfering with my normal struggles. lol.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »
Thanks Ray. Just was kinda surprised at the extent of it this time. I went through this last year or the year before , just in a better area and less carving.

When Ed had this done, it was on the upper inside portion of his  ear. There's very little in there to scrape and cut ! When he went back about 4-6 days later, they said he was healing too fast, and the doctor, had to scrape and freshly, reopen it again, to slow down the healing process, to help prevent any scarring. He did well though. Can't even notice where it was done, and thankfully, no signs of anything reoccurring.

I was helping in changing the bandages and applying the ointment everyday( As He has done for me many a time),.. after his procedure. The ear can be very tricky in keeping covered and keeping it looking somewhat neat. It can be tough to bandage.  Ed has always had a tendency to reach for and touch or grab his ears, and run his hands over his face, while sleeping, ( he's been like this ever since I met him) so I was always trying to keep an eye on him, when I felt movement in the bed ! I had to grab his hands while he was sleeping and attempting this, in order that the bandages, and gauge not be torn off.  I was a light sleeper for a week and a half  :)

Several months after that procedure, he then had the procedure with that cream and light :

http://www.thewoodruffinstitute.com/our-services/laser-tratments/photodynamic-therapy-blue-light-treatment/

So far he appears to be doing alright after that procedure.  I haven't noticed anything else, going on with my skin, after that basal cell removal from my nose last year.

Lets hope that your dermatological visits will come to an end, or at least become less frequent ! 

So far for me, everything appears alright. I haven't noticed anything new on my skin, and I do keep a close eye on things ! There's just too much history of Keratosis  and Basal cell carcinoma, for me, so at the first signs, I'm making an appointment !

Take care--Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:36 am »
You are such a good husband Ray.  :)

The link was interesting but makes me a bit more nervous about my having so many areas of Keratosis. I knew they were precancerous but didn't realize the link to squamous cell cancer was so high. I've been freeze-zapped about 20 times in the past two years. Ahh... the joys of getting older with fair skin.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #331 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:59 pm »
I'm happy to report that my face is healing fine I think. There are a few weird lumps and bumps that hopefully will smooth out over time. They told me to come back if I had any issues and that they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. It took more out of me physically than expected but it looks like smooth sailing going forward. lol.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #332 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »
I'm happy to report that my face is healing fine I think. There are a few weird lumps and bumps that hopefully will smooth out over time. They told me to come back if I had any issues and that they have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. It took more out of me physically than expected but it looks like smooth sailing going forward. lol.

:) . We need an emoticon with stitches for us LTS .  :o
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2014, 04:20:03 am »
Been catching up on all off your life,s and its been quite a summer for a lot off us . So Betty David Alan Mitch Ray Jeff Greg Carl Harley MrToad Alan just wanted to say your stories have helped me this morning and I am glad its my dammed foot that's swollen and not my fingers so I can type.

Pain pissing and persistence that's what the last two pages have been about . And I say Good on us and love to you all.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #334 on: September 07, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »
Love to you as well!

HUGS, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline wolfter

« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:04 am »
Michael, so glad you're on the mend.  I've missed interacting with everyone for a few weeks now.

I needed to take a break because I was getting annoyed each time I logged in but also came to realize I'm missing those I care about.  So instead of getting angry at the ignorance, I'll just ignore their sandboxes.  ;)

I had a filling put in last year that managed to fall out when I was flossing the other night.  Made an appointment only to discover that my new beloved dentist has left the practice.  I reluctantly agreed to meet with a new dentist.  Luckily, I absolutely adore the front staff there and they're always super helpful.

After meeting with the new dentist, it was determined that I might need a root canal and I'll find out after my appointment this morning.  A dentist that I've yet to meet is doing the procedure as I explained to the front staff that I don't care for the jackass dentist that looked at me.  He spoke to me like I was an idiot and admonished me to floss regularly. 

I carry floss with me at all times and I sit around flossing all day long.  Almost OCD about it and to have this idiot and his assistant explain the importance of proper dental care raised my BP.  I even take my portable kit with me so I can brush and floss before being seen.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:41 am »
 8)

Well,  it's 6:15 am, had a good sleep last night.  I have an appointment this morning with the ID doctor, @ the VA, to discuss labs taken on August 25th.

We have a lot to talk about today, The MRI, and the 10 page nuero report.  Also my percentage has gone done to 11% from 13%. T-cells are at 402. Can't seem to keep these numbers up !

From August 25th,14                                    Range
CELLS.CD3+CD4+    402 Low    cells/uL    490-1740    
                                                                                 Range
   CELLS.CD3+CD4+/100 CELLS    11 Low    %    30-61

Range
   LYMPHOCYTES    3711    cells/uL    850-3900

Also on these past test:
                                          Result
HEPATITIS C VIRUS AB    Nonreactive

Result                                           
TREPONEMA PALLIDUM AB    NONREACTIVE    

===========================

I didn't get a viral load test in yet, with the other results, but that will probably be ready when I we get there @ 9:00am
========================

Otherwise, feeling a little sluggish lately, and the neuropathy seems to have kicked in over the past month or so. Not painful, just a lot of numbness. I want to discuss that today, along with the possibility of a med change. ( We'll see how that goes  :P )

I wouldn't mind finding out if Truimeq, could be a possible option, or a complete change of meds.

Later----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2014, 03:18:43 pm »

It was quite the appointment today.

First we discussed the labs, I still don't know what the viral load is, as it hasn't come in yet. I don't like the trend that's taking place with my numbers.  Then I brought up the subject of possibly changing meds, to TRIUMEQ, or another once a day medication. I mentioned the issues of fatigue and the increased numbness in the feet.

I am all for trying something, that I haven't been on yet !

The Doctor will get back in touch with me  in a week or so, after going over everything, so today he ordered some more labs . Also has to take a look at what is in the VA formulary.  After the appt, I went downstairs to the labs, and they took 4 vials.

They are also checking my testosterone, with today's labs.  I will see the results of these blood tests, in a week. or two.

I also received that new Pneumonia shot today, and lastly an appointment is going to be made for me to see a Neurologist. So I should get that appointment soon.

It was a good today !  A lot was covered, and we had some good discussion.

Almost forgot, we discussed the MRI, and the follow up on that. It was mentioned to me that 10 other patients with HIV had similar results as mine on their MRI. So for now it's just wait and see, and follow up MRI's will be scheduled in the future, for comparison. Aging with HIV was part of the discussion today. Ed and I were there, for about an hour today.

The next appointment I have at the VA is Sep 22nd, This is my annual eye exam !

Ray  8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mitch777

« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »
Hey Ray, sounds like a somewhat mixed report. Mostly good. Geez, these appointments never end do they?

I had an MRI today. Not hiv related but hope to get some relief soon from these darned bulging disks in my neck that make my left arm numb and painful on a daily basis. Here I go caterwauling again. lol. First appointment with the pain management clinic is set for next Thursday after my dermatologist and psychiatrist appointments earlier in the week. :P

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #339 on: September 09, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »
Here I go caterwauling again. lol. First appointment with the pain management clinic is set for next Thursday after my dermatologist and psychiatrist appointments earlier in the week. :P

Well golly-gee -- I have a 12-day period coming up where I see a neurologist, therapist, dermatologist, manicurist, dentist, pain management specialist and a psychiatrist.

Oh yeah -- and all done without a car or loving partner. :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:10:21 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #340 on: September 09, 2014, 05:37:59 pm »
Well golly-gee -- I have a 12-day period coming up where I see a neurologist, therapist, dermatologist, manicurist, dentist, pain management specialist and a psychiatrist.

Those poor doctors ... seeing you while your on a 12 day period ... very brave men and women .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #341 on: September 09, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »

Should I just disappear?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2014, 08:49:00 am »
Geez, these appointments never end do they?

It sure appears that way. I just received the call from the VA. The neurologist appointment is set for September 22nd @ 9:00 am, Then the eye exam on the same day @ 1:00pm.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2014, 07:28:35 am »
Dang, I won't even complain about having 6 appointments in a 2 week span.  :)  I have an appointment with the ortho guy this morning.  I wasn't scheduled for another couple of weeks but I insisted on being seen.

The screw that he put through my knee is protruding so far out that I'm constantly bumping it.  I swear that it looks like it backed out. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29:24 am »
I've had 3 appointments in the last 7 days, due to the pneumonia and bone issues.  I have a sprained right ankle, and strained Achille's tendon.  And let me tell you, that is painful.  However, due to the pneumonia, I have Prednisone for 10 more days, so that does help the pain a lot. 

My return appointment for the pneumonia was yesterday, and the doctor said she hears mostly wheezing now, not congestion.  That is why she continued the Prednisone, and encouraged me to use the inhaler more often (it does not help by the way), and talked to me about quitting smoking (per usual).  She said what she believes it's gone into now is an exacerbation of COPD. 

Bone wise, other than the strain and sprain, I may be trying this Syn Vysc injection in my right knee next week to see if it helps.  It is fluid injected into the joint that is suppose to provide the cushion that the fluid I no longer have, would have done.  If it works, I'll be getting one in the left knee.  I know I need them replaced, but to tell you all the truth, after getting a rod shoved into my hip earlier this year, I am not in a hurry to get another major bone surgery done.

Greg, I hope you're able to get that screw taken care of, ick.  Something should be done about that. 

Mitch, you don't have to disappear.  We all bear our own burden, no matter how light it may seem to some; it is significant to us.  And while I do agree it is tiresome to hear newbs go on and on about having to take one pill, us LTS'ers have all been through hell. 

David, I am sorry you are having so many issues; I hope the pain doctor is able to help you and that your appointment is successful.

By the way, I do not have a loving partner either, and if we had better public transport around here, I would gladly give up the auto.  It would certainly give me a lot of extra money, without having to do maintenance, gas, repairs etc. 

Since I have Prednisone, I am able to do the floors in my house today without being in constant throbbing pain from my ankle and tendon. I do not know if it is a good idea, but hell, I'll take it when I can get it lol.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:32:32 am by BT65 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:19 pm »
I'm just reeling in anger.  It turns out that the surgeon put a screw through my leg that was so long that it protruded by 1/2" on the other ending up in the muscle.  Why does this freakish shit always happen to me!

UGH, I'm ready for a nap.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #346 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:25 pm »
Thanks Betty. I guess I was just getting a bit overly sensitive with my response but it was meant in jest. I know that others, especially other LTS are far worse off than myself. It's not a competition by any means.

I know you, Jeff, David, Greg, Michael.... and the list goes on, have many issues to deal with yourselves. I just took David's comment more personally because he quoted me.

He always seems to have pride in not having to own a car and as far as not having a loving husband... well, I certainly know that living alone can be a bigger challenge. I think it would make for a great topic!

You on the other hand, dearest Betty, need to be spanked. Granny says give your body time to heal. I know you won't listen but I would be remiss if I didn't say it.  :-*

Greg, I was dumbfounded after seeing your X-ray on FB! WTF?!!! I think you should post the pic here for all to see. You would think they would take some sort of measurements before screwing you. Now you are going to get screwed twice! (or was that the plan.)

David, start a thread about the challenges of living single about aging and being a LTS. I think many can relate. 
btw- Having a partner has challenges of it's own. It's not always a bed of roses. Grass greener and all that.  Hope your coming appointments go as smoothly as possible. Even the manicurist.

edited to add: You don't need a car and you demolished your dad's mirror not that long ago. I may need a minute or 2 to figure out my GPS but you are a granny driver. Admit it! lol.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:19:03 pm by mitch777 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #347 on: September 11, 2014, 07:50:45 pm »
I went ahead and posted a pic in my injury thread.  :)

I actually think there are more of us aging alone with HIV than have partners.  Either situation has its unique challenges.  Personally, I've still gotten totall accustomed to being solo.  I miss bond.

I think we're also entitled to get a little bitchy sometimes considered all we've endured and will continue to endure.  For the most part, we handle things quite well considering. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2014, 08:19:14 pm »
I just took David's comment more personally because he quoted me.

Don't be a h8tr.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #349 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29:33 pm »

I had an MRI today. Not hiv related but hope to get some relief soon from these darned bulging disks in my neck that make my left arm numb and painful on a daily basis.

Probably too soon, but have you heard anything yet on the MRI ?

Take care---Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.