Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:58:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The healthiest (and least healthiest) cities to live in, for men!  (Read 2696 times)

Offline buginme2

Men's Health magazine is at it again and listed the top ten healthiest cities and the 10 least healthiest cities. 

Where is yours on the list and do you agree with it? 

Healthiest
1. Boise, Idaho
2. San Jose, CA
3. San Francsico
4. Plano, TX
5. Seattle
6. Burlington, VT
7. Austin, TX
8. Salt Lake City
9. Madison, WI
10. Portland, OR

The 10 Least Healthiest

91. Tulsa, OK
92. Detroit
93. Columbia, SC
94. Cleveland, OH
95. Memphis, TN
96. St. Louis, MO
97. Toledo, OH
98. Charleston, WV
99. Philadelphia
100. Birmingham, AL

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50306865/ns/health/#.UN8OrXy9KK0
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: The healthiest (and least healthiest) cities to live in, for men!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:36 am »
not surprised the state capital of SC is #93. Columbia has the 6th highest rate of HIV infection in all of America (there are 5 other SC and NC cities in the top 25 cities with high HIV rates)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »
Phila. second to last= LMAO!

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline 11 letters

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »
I don't doubt the general sentiment of this article (i.e. I don't doubt that male residents of Boise are, in general, healthier than their counterparts in Birmingham), but at the same time I question the methodology because there are more than 100 cities in the US which could, statistically, skew the results heavily in one direction or another. Where are all the other cities?
I am not a physician or nurse, and no comments from me can be construed as medical advice. Please seek such advice from a qualified healthcare professional.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:57:13 am »
These articles are fake - at least the arbitrary methodology -  and done simply to boost clicks on the Men's Health Site.

I went ahead and looked at some of the full rankings and had to laugh.   Charlotte is ranked as #33 healthiest city, while New York is ranked #34. 

I just so happen to know these two cities like the back of my hand and not only is Charlotte not healthier for men than NY, Charlotte is no where near NYC when it comes to real health standards.

Charlotte's homicide and violent assault rate (per capita) is much higher than NYC;  This is the land of fast food and deep fried everything; Charlotte is auto-orientated and people (generally) walk less in a week in Charlotte than one might in every two days in NY;  Employment rates are higher in NY; ability to have access to social services is high in NY and almost nil in Charlotte; Charlotte has less access to medical services; less access to public parks; the list goes on.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:00:56 am by Iggy »

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:23:33 am »
If healthy = wealthy then i can see why plano would be in the top 4.  I live close to plano.  Its not the wealthiest part of DFW, but alot of corporatations, upper-class familes.

Austin is a city of younger folks due to its more of a University town, so i can see it being in the top 10.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline darryaz

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:53:00 am »
Yeah, I can see Tulsa being in the bottom 10. 

Oklahoma was the 3rd most obese state for many years - I believe it's 5th now.

And being a strong bible-belt state the attitude is "abstinence-only" or "head in the sand" sex education.  Younger people I've talked to indicate that condom use is almost nonexistent here.

One of the gay bars in Tulsa was progressive enough to ban smoking inside the bar a few months ago...... I was there yesterday and noticed it's been reversed.

In my experience HIV care has been terrific in Tulsa (yay OSU), but maybe others have different opinions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:56:24 am by darryaz »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:42:54 pm »
Phila. second to last= LMAO!

This is why lists like this are for, well -- simpletons. Measurements of health in the US are tied up with income status, and class issues in the US generally correlate and/or are obscured by racial demographics.  Compare the white v. non-white demos of the top and bottom 10 and you'll see what I mean.

Or put it this way, if you are a white professional that lives in Center City and peripheral areas in Philadelphia you'd score quite high on the health scale, especially considering that we have a high concentration of the best medical services in the country (if you have good insurance). Center City is also has one of the highest "biking commute" and walkability indexes of ANY downtown of over a million residents in the US. Bottom line -- if you live and work here (meaning Center City) you don't need a car, and when you don't use a car all of the time you don't end up being an obese, burger-eating Medicare scooter riding American.

And further proof that Men's Health is a useless rag at the bottom of the article it says "For more on the sources for our statistics and to see additional city rankings, go to MensHealth.com/metrogrades." and when you click the link it just takes you to a list of which cities you're more likely to have a car accident.

OMG I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH THIS THREAD. Silly white people.

ps: we do have a high homicide rate but I can plot out on google-maps the handful of drug dealing areas where this happens and to stay away from. 90% of shootings happen in these areas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:48:24 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.