Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:18:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 488
Total: 489

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Approved, but screwed on SSDI, now what?  (Read 6767 times)

Offline lookingforu

Approved, but screwed on SSDI, now what?
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:47 am »
After a very long, 3 yr battle with SSDI, I finally got a "partial approval" on 4/26/13, meaning that it wasn't until I switched my care from a county hospital to an Aids Medical Care Facility that SSDI deemed I was "disabled". My pleads for help at the county hospital went unwarranted, yet it wasn't until I changed my Primary Care Facility that they realized.."Yeah, you need some serious testing done". So I applied for my SSDI 1/2011, was denied twice, switched my care 11/2012.. and that's the date that Social Security deemed me "Absolutely Disabled".
  So, not only was I screwed on back pay, but with the standard 5 month waiting period, I get .. one month? Granted I got a decent amount of $1273 / mo, and I "STILL" haven't gotten any funds from them. I can appeal their decision, but I risk losing the current approval and starting from scratch... I don't have enough klonopin to help me through that decision..

So, am I still eligible for food stamps because I'm disabled? I'm over the standard amount by $60.Any medicare assistance plans? I'm on 17 medications now, this would break me.

I live in the country with my mother, who's not sympathetic at all and need to move to the city of Buffalo, so I can be close to my doctors and hospitals... as I no longer have a car....

I cannot find any info as to "when should I go off medicaid and get medicare?" My counselors are all over the board with info, but never anything specific. 

My nerves are shot, I'm grasping and feel like I'm hanging on a string here  :'(

I need a hug.. anyone?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Approved, but screwed on SSDI, now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:06 am »
Here is your BIG HUG ! ... congratulations on getting what you need to survive.

If you qualify for medicaid you should be able to tap into that system until your full medicare benefits kick in with the medical part . www.ssa.gov  has all the information the need and the FAQ page is helpful too . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:14 pm »
"when should I go off medicaid and get medicare?"
medicaid and foodstamps are based upon an income requirement.

as soon as you report your monthly SSD award, you'll probably be dropped from SNAP and Medicaid. (when you're really poor though you get to keep medicaid and medicare). SS has insurance plans you can sign up for and also a prescription plan (part d) to help get meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline lookingforu

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I needed that hug BIGTIME! And Leatherman, once again you are my redeemer! This bear thanks you SO much for your never ending assistance, you're ALWAYS so good to me buddy! :-)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:07:25 pm »
Some of my clients who get over $1000/month on SSDI still qualify for disability Medicaid, or QMB Medicaid.  The benefit there being Medicaid pays the Medicare premium and they qualify for "extra help" with Part D.  I believe that may be a state by state thing, but I would check into it definitely.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »
Congrats on at least getting the claim approved.  When I applied for OHADAP, I also had to apply for state aid which all stopped once my claim was approved.  Based on your new income level, the state may be able to pay all or a portion of your Medicare premium. 

ADAP also can assist with your part D premium and co-pays for all HIV related drugs and doctors' appointment.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline lookingforu

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 08:13:18 pm »
Some of my clients who get over $1000/month on SSDI still qualify for disability Medicaid, or QMB Medicaid.  The benefit there being Medicaid pays the Medicare premium and they qualify for "extra help" with Part D.  I believe that may be a state by state thing, but I would check into it definitely.

BT65 you may be right, apparently I'm almost $1300 on SSDI so I doubt I'll qualify for much of anything. But thank you SO much!

Offline lookingforu

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:14:41 pm »
Congrats on at least getting the claim approved.  When I applied for OHADAP, I also had to apply for state aid which all stopped once my claim was approved.  Based on your new income level, the state may be able to pay all or a portion of your Medicare premium. 

ADAP also can assist with your part D premium and co-pays for all HIV related drugs and doctors' appointment.

Wolfie

Thanks Wolfie, this is a must for me. Currently on 17 meds right now will make this REALLY a close call for me :-\

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 01:04:08 am »
I know here in KY, you would make too much for food stamps (SNAP).  Last I heard, you could not make more than $970 a month to get Medicaid to pay the 20% Medicare doesn't.  And, to get the Extra Help to pay Medicare Part B and D premiums was somewhere around $2,000 a month. 

Offline sjh1975

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »
The county hospital you are referring to, is it located in Buffalo? I'm currently having issues myself with a county hospital in the Buffalo area.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.