Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:42:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 309
Total: 309

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sinus Infection, now doc says pneumonia..needs to stop!  (Read 4724 times)

Offline jm1953

Sinus Infection, now doc says pneumonia..needs to stop!
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »
Hey Members,

Kind of a whine here I guess.  Just tired of being sick.  Started a topic a while back about getting sicker with high CD 4 counts and no viral load.  Seems like this year has been the worst.  CD4's in the high 800's, percentage 32, no viral load.

Now being treated for what my doctor says is a mild case of pneumonia.  Strong antibiotics, prednisone, nose sprays, all added to the ever increasing arsenal of meds I take daily.  Guess anyone can get these things with AIDS or not, but for me it seems there is no correlation between having good numbers and good health.

Asked my doctor why all of a sudden I'm having chronic skin problems, chronic kidney disease, eye issues, blood issues, lipo, and catching every bug coming down the pike.  All this occurring mostly the last two years all the time with good numbers.  I'm adhering to my meds, taking supplements, eating a very healthy diet, exercise as I can.  Don't get it.

He really didn't have an answer except that it could be having the virus for nearly 24 years, taking meds since 1996, getting older, or everything combined.  Know one thing...he is talking about taking me off my current regimen and starting something else after my labs are drawn in two weeks.  Hopefully a combo with Isentress. 

I know a few of you who have posted being sicker with higher numbers in both Long Term Survivors, and Living with HIV.

Wondering what's the deal, if any?

Best to you all,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Sinus Infection, now doc says pneumonia..needs to stop!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:05:50 pm »
JM,

Sorry to hear about the illnesses you are experiencing.  I can only imagine that the whole thing is getting on your last nerve. I have been HIV positive for 25 years and will soon go into my 26th year.  My numbers range around the same as yours although slightly lower sometimes. I have not experienced many of the illnesses as you have and what you are going through may indeed be caused by the reasons the doctor states.  As you know, each of us respond differently to HIV and medications.

I do, however, have experience with taking prednisone before my HIV positive diagnosis.  I took it in the late 1970s as an anti-inflammatory steroid when I had bells palsy and it worked for me.  I also gained about 20 pounds--I was thin anyway.

Here is a note though.  I am sure your doctor informed you, prednisone is an immunosuppresent and can aggravate certain infections even though it is prescribed to combat them as well.  The doctor should closely monitor you while on prednisone with the proper dosage to make sure that it does not further compromise your immune system. If he has not explained this to you, please bring it up when you next see him so you  feel comfortable and fully understand the treatment you are receiving.

Here is a link to further information on Prednisone:    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000091

Here is hoping you get better soon.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:21:21 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »
Jeff, sorry to hear of this recent illness. Maybe a change in meds will be a good thing. hang in there buddy. I know it's hard, but we must fight and fight and fight.

I hope you get well soon!
Positive since 1985

Offline jm1953

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 11:41:48 pm »
JM,

Sorry to hear about the illnesses you are experiencing.  I can only imagine that the whole thing is getting on your last nerve. I have been HIV positive for 25 years and will soon go into my 26th year.  My numbers range around the same as yours although slightly lower sometimes. I have not experienced many of the illnesses as you have and what you are going through may indeed be caused by the reasons the doctor states.  As you know, each of us respond differently to HIV and medications.

I do, however, have experience with taking prednisone before my HIV positive diagnosis.  I took it in the late 1970s as an anti-inflammatory steroid when I had bells palsy and it worked for me.  I also gained about 20 pounds--I was thin anyway.

Here is a note though.  I am sure your doctor informed you, prednisone is an immunosuppresent and can aggravate certain infections even though it is prescribed to combat them as well.  The doctor should closely monitor you while on prednisone with the proper dosage to make sure that it does not further compromise your immune system. If he has not explained this to you, please bring it up when you next see him so you  feel comfortable and fully understand the treatment you are receiving.

Here is a link to further information on Prednisone:    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000091

Here is hoping you get better soon.

Thanks OneTampa for your concern, and giving me a heads up on prednisone.  My doctor is pretty cautious when he does need to prescribe prednisone, as he treats my HIV too.  Fortunately, this is a 4mg tablet in a pack starting with six the first day, and graduating from that.  I really don't like taking prednisone for the reasons you describe, but it does clear up my inflammation which is a bit out of control.  Unfortunately there is a rebound effect for me, where my skin generally breaks out a week later, so honestly if there is any other route I'd take it.

Thanks again for your post, and the link.  And you are so right that this is such an individual illness. 

Best,
Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:12:25 am »
CD4's in the high 800's, percentage 32, no viral load.
Know one thing...he is talking about taking me off my current regimen and starting something else after my labs are drawn in two weeks.  Hopefully a combo with Isentress. 
what's the reasoning for changing meds if the ones you're taking are working? I tend to fall on the side of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially when changing to another regimen could bring about side effects or not work at all. (if you've been undetectable then you haven't had a genotype done and you could run the risk of switching to something that wouldn't work.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.