Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Movies and more movies.....  (Read 318322 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Movies and more movies.....
« Reply #500 on: May 23, 2008, 04:24:32 pm »
Queen I don't know if you ever saw this but it really held my interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_in_the_Sky

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #501 on: May 23, 2008, 06:33:41 pm »
A movie I peeped last week was El Cantante with J-Lo and hubby, Marc Anthony. It was a movie based on the life of Hector Lavoe who made salsa music popular in the early 80's in NY. He had a drug problem and eventually ended up with AIDS.

It put me in touch with my heritage and I love some good salsa music.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline poz1970

« Reply #502 on: June 07, 2008, 07:06:46 pm »
This is one of the funniest movie previews that I've ever seen :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNDp03udhg

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2008, 06:33:31 pm »
LOL That was funny

The last two movies I watched where

National Treasure: Book of Secrets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC70lJmG1GQ

and

Over Her Dead Body
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCE24UP6srU

Oh and I've been watching season one of Dexter from Showtime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1DSqxSs07U

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #504 on: June 09, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »
A movie I peeped last week was El Cantante with J-Lo and hubby, Marc Anthony. It was a movie based on the life of Hector Lavoe who made salsa music popular in the early 80's in NY. He had a drug problem and eventually ended up with AIDS.

It put me in touch with my heritage and I love some good salsa music.

That movie was supposedly atrocious but Philicia *LIVES* for Hector Lavoe!  I have many of his recordings, and always feature them in the car rental while procuring boys and cocaine in Santo Domingo.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Texan38

« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2008, 11:43:26 am »
I loved 'Sex and the City' but then again, I'm a fan of the show.  The previews for M. Night Shamaalanananlans 'The Happening' look really creepy!  I actually want to see that one. I haven't been too crazy about his last several movies lately, the last one I liked was 'Signs'. 
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2008, 01:30:10 pm »
I'm looking forward to Hancock and The Happening too. I love thrillers and Will Smith always amuses me.

Hancock
Will Smith stars as Hancock, a down-and-out superhero forced to employ a PR expert, Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman), to help repair his image when the public grows weary of all the damage he has inflicted during his life-saving heroics. Ray's idea of imprisoning the antihero to make the world miss him proves successful, but will Hancock stick to his new sense of purpose or slip back into old habits? Charlize Theron co-stars in Peter Berg's action comedy.

The Happening
In this thriller from director M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Signs), an environmental crisis emerges that threatens to wipe out all of mankind. When people begin dying, Elliot Moore (Mark Wahlberg) and his estranged wife, Alma (Zooey Deschanel), try to escape the unstoppable destroyer. As chaos spreads across the entire planet, Elliot and Alma struggle to figure out what is happening. John Leguizamo co-stars as Elliot's friend Julian.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #507 on: June 24, 2008, 03:14:47 pm »
I saw two documentaries this past weekend, "Gay Sex in the 70's" and "Inside Deep Throat", they were both so interesting.  I didn't realize "Deep Throat" was controversial and banned in some states and the other documentary....well, the title pretty much speaks for itself but it wasn't graphic.  I highly recommend those two if anyone has a chance to watch them.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #508 on: June 24, 2008, 03:23:25 pm »
I saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I liked it.
They left the end kinda open so if they wanted they could make another movie. But everything was resolved so you weren't left hanging or anything.
Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTJ4v6KPrg

We also watched Jumper on DVD. I liked that one too.
Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8u4MDq7Ow

Offline Texan38

« Reply #509 on: June 24, 2008, 03:35:07 pm »
I was sooo disappointed with 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.'  It started off great but then I felt it just lost it's course towards the end - alien, space ship....huh?
The visual effects in 'Jumper' were cool...the movie, it was ok.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2008, 03:41:24 pm »
I was sooo disappointed with 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.'  It started off great but then I felt it just lost it's course towards the end - alien, space ship....huh?
The visual effects in 'Jumper' were cool...the movie, it was ok.

LOL you totally gave the movie away.

I saw the space ship thing coming from the begining of the movie.
I'm just easily amused.
Bright shiney things ect.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2008, 03:49:50 pm »
That movie was supposedly atrocious but Philicia *LIVES* for Hector Lavoe!  I have many of his recordings, and always feature them in the car rental while procuring boys and cocaine in Santo Domingo.

Ugh, bite your tongue, Ms. Philicia. I liked the movie even though I am not a fan of J-Lo. I even liked the music though I did not understand everything he was saying. I can understand some spanish if it isn't spoken fast, after watching the movie, I downloaded some of the music. I think I am going to stow away in some of your luggage... ;D

Not really a fan of the Rambo sequels either but I must admit I did like the last one. I loved all the blood and guts though the storyline was kind of weak. Not interested in seeing Rocky Balboa at all. Has anyone seen Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li? That will be a must for my collection.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline randym431

« Reply #512 on: June 25, 2008, 08:14:18 am »
Seen "The Strangers " and "Iron man".
Im not too into comic book movies, but Iron Man was pretty good.
The Strangers was a bit like HALLOWEEN, except in that three psycho killers
wear masks and like to terrorize innocent victims.

It would have been a lot more fun as a Halloween season release.
And its suppose to be some what true. Or based on true events.
Its doing well at the theaters, so it must be scary and bloody enough.

Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #513 on: June 25, 2008, 09:16:21 am »
Indiana Jones movie was highly disappointing.  It was a mix of the original Star Gate movie and Return of the Mummy.  It was a total waste of money.  We took the kids to see Kung Fu Panda - totally worth every penny.  We laughed for 93 minutes solid.

On the rental front, we saw The Great Debaters - totally wonderful movie.  The Bucket List was also well worth seeing.  The Other Bolin Girl was a BEAUTIFUL movie.  It was mostly historically accurate and the "extras" are worth watching.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #514 on: June 25, 2008, 02:38:25 pm »
Seen "The Strangers " and "Iron man".
Im not too into comic book movies, but Iron Man was pretty good.
The Strangers was a bit like HALLOWEEN, except in that three psycho killers
wear masks and like to terrorize innocent victims.

It would have been a lot more fun as a Halloween season release.
And its suppose to be some what true. Or based on true events.
Its doing well at the theaters, so it must be scary and bloody enough.

Yeah, I have been wanting to see that movie.

6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #515 on: June 25, 2008, 02:40:43 pm »
From watching the previews, The strangers struck me as one of those wait until it comes out on video movies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #516 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:39 pm »
Indiana Jones movie was highly disappointing.  It was a mix of the original Star Gate movie and Return of the Mummy.  It was a total waste of money. 

Mum,

Jeromy and I just saw it last weekend and he enjoyed himself greatly - I on the other hand started loudly cursing George Lucas near the end for reasons you already know!

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #517 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »
Is he easily amused like me?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #518 on: June 25, 2008, 04:10:22 pm »
Is he easily amused like me?

Well, he does really like me to pretend to be Godzilla while he plays King Kong and we destroy Tokyo together as foreplay!

Offline Texan38

« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »
 :D  :D That was funny, yet kinky!

I just bought "10,000 B.C." and "The Spiderwick Chronicles" so I've got my movies set up for Sunday afternoon.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline minismom

« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2008, 05:55:16 pm »
Iggy, Jeromy and my mom should go to the movies together.  She and my dad went to see Indy and she liked it, Dad hated it for the same reasons.  She's never seen Stargate or Return of the Mummy.  I was so pissed off with that movie.  It was the 1st movie in over a year that we got to see without the kids and it was crap.

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline randym431

« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2008, 10:12:35 pm »
I finally rented country for old men (whatever), and it was just a pointless violence flick.
No wonder kids shoot up their class mates, then everyone
wonders why.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #522 on: July 03, 2008, 05:54:55 pm »
I am hearing so much about Heath Ledger as the Joker in Batman, I hardly hear anything about Christian Bale as Batman and much less about Maggie Gyllenhaal - which, by the way, I see her as an "art movie" actress so seeing she's going to be in a 'blockbuster' movie seems kinda unusual for her.
But because of all the good buzz I've been hearing about Heath Ledger's performance, I'm even more anxious to see it!
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #523 on: July 04, 2008, 01:35:40 am »
I am hearing so much about Heath Ledger as the Joker in Batman, I hardly hear anything about Christian Bale as Batman and much less about Maggie Gyllenhaal - which, by the way, I see her as an "art movie" actress so seeing she's going to be in a 'blockbuster' movie seems kinda unusual for her.
But because of all the good buzz I've been hearing about Heath Ledger's performance, I'm even more anxious to see it!

Well, Christian Bale was on the cover of Parade I think this past Sunday. I think everyone is talking about Heath because of his death, not to take away from his acting skills but just saying. I watched 10,000 B.C. tonight which I thought was really good.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #524 on: July 04, 2008, 04:10:12 pm »
I just got my ticket to see the new Batman movie in IMAX on tuesday  ;D  also got my ticket to see Mama Mia in IMAX the following week... the San Francisco Movie Bears have great deals on IMAX movies, we get the tickets for $8.00, can't beat that... and the night is always fun with the furry hotties  ;)

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #525 on: July 05, 2008, 12:57:34 am »
   On the other hand, there are some really great cheesy movies out there that deserve to be watched. Bad acting, bad dialouge, and a ridiculous plot can make such a memorable cinematic event. I just bought Black Sheep today and will watch it sometime this weekend.It was filmed in New Zealand. (I wonder if Jan saw it?) I like the idea of cute, fuzzy, man-eating sheep.
   If you are a fan of off the wall movies like I am, check out Faster, Pussycat Kill! Kill! It's worth an hour and a half out of your life. And it has the distinction of being John Waters' favorite movie of all time.

CaptCarl

The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline poz1970

« Reply #526 on: July 07, 2008, 02:58:49 pm »
I just got my ticket to see the new Batman movie in IMAX on tuesday  ;D  also got my ticket to see Mama Mia in IMAX the following week... the San Francisco Movie Bears have great deals on IMAX movies, we get the tickets for $8.00, can't beat that... and the night is always fun with the furry hotties  ;)

Rich

Whoaaa... I'd go see alot more movies if I could see them on Imax... would be like being there! (think star wars episode 3 type space battles)
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Iggy

« Reply #527 on: July 07, 2008, 03:41:38 pm »

Rich

Thanks for the reminder - The local IMAX here (walking distance  ;D) is showing The Dark Knight as well!   Now is only Journey to the Center of the Earth was in 3D and IMAX

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #528 on: July 07, 2008, 10:34:23 pm »
I am hyped about the new Mummy movie with Branden Frasier and Jet Li. Can you tell I got the hots for Jet Li... ;)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline ozzie

« Reply #529 on: July 08, 2008, 03:26:07 pm »

Rich

Sometimes I wonder what am I doing here in Miami.... San Fransisco sounds furry delicious lol :D

Offline randym431

« Reply #530 on: July 09, 2008, 10:49:35 am »
Well I should start a new post for this film.
Cause every once in a while you see something that
shocks the hell out of ya, and you wonder how you ever missed it
in the first place.
I'm talking about a film just on TMC called HARD CANDY.
Its on again Tuesday July 15th (check time if you get TMC)
Its so, so weird and different I should not tell anything about it,
just watch or rent it.
It was made in 2005 and stars Ellen Page (from JUNO).
Dont ask... Just get and watch it... Whew!!! Oh man!!! WOW!!!

PS. And I thought Hitchcock - like films were no more...

PSS. Ok I'll add its up there with Psycho and Fatal Attraction
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:56:51 am by randym431 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #531 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:51 pm »
The annual Phildadelphia International LGBT Film Festival beings tomorrow and runs through the 22nd.  Testify, and be jealous!

http://www.phillyfests.com/piglff/2008/home.cfm

There's so much goodness I don't know what to go see.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #532 on: July 09, 2008, 01:21:42 pm »
The annual Phildadelphia International LGBT Film Festival beings tomorrow and runs through the 22nd.  Testify, and be jealous!
There's so much goodness I don't know what to go see.

We never get anything here like that. :-\    About the best thing we get is the "Vagina Monolouges."  It's so dreary.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #533 on: July 09, 2008, 02:48:04 pm »
Well honey, you're just gonna have to come for a visit -- it's the latest fad on AIDSmeds, you know... visiting with Philicia.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:45 pm »
Well honey, you're just gonna have to come for a visit -- it's the latest fad on AIDSmeds, you know... visiting with Philicia.

Yes, it's getting to be quite common.  I'll make it there, sooner or later. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline minismom

« Reply #535 on: July 09, 2008, 06:38:36 pm »
Tonight we're watching the ever wonderful classic "Swiss Family Robinson".  On the dessert tray: sugar-free chocolate cupcakes with sugar-free chocolate icing.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Texan38

« Reply #536 on: July 09, 2008, 06:45:32 pm »
Awww, "Swiss Family Robinson", hadn't seen that in years!  I saw "10,000 B.C."  - didn't like it.  Nor did I like "Be Kind Rewind" with Jack Black.  BUT I did like "Vantage Point", that movie was good.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #537 on: July 10, 2008, 01:54:27 pm »
I have The Usual Suspects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPuXWtDx9g

and The Eye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjxa9gSjpJA&feature=related

on my coffee table waiting to be watched. No clue when I will get to them but I'll let you know what I think when I do see them.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #538 on: July 10, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »
Wendy,
   I watched The Eye about 2 weeks ago, and thought it was really good. I find that when Hollywood re-makes a Japanese horror flick, something usually gets lost in translation, but this time it came through pretty much as creepy as the original.

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Iggy

« Reply #539 on: July 10, 2008, 04:17:30 pm »
Wendy,
   I watched The Eye about 2 weeks ago, and thought it was really good. I find that when Hollywood re-makes a Japanese horror flick, something usually gets lost in translation, but this time it came through pretty much as creepy as the original.

CaptCarl

I kind of disagree.  In spite of liking many things about the Eye remake, I still haven't found a single U.S. remake of Japanese horror worthy of it's original.

I dread the rumored Audition and Infection that I hear are in the midst of production.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #540 on: July 10, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »
I dread the rumored Audition and Infection that I hear are in the midst of production.
Oh, good Lord!....say it ain't so!  I'm sorry but Audition cannot be remade.  It's one of the best, disturbing movies ever!  To Americanize it will be dreadful.  It would lose it's creepiness.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #541 on: July 10, 2008, 09:10:10 pm »
Well I should start a new post for this film.
Cause every once in a while you see something that
shocks the hell out of ya, and you wonder how you ever missed it
in the first place.
I'm talking about a film just on TMC called HARD CANDY.

Saw it, thought it was a good movie.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #542 on: July 10, 2008, 10:01:19 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBnm1xhM7I

If that is the trailer it looks pretty cool.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #543 on: July 13, 2008, 12:26:14 am »
We just watched  'August Rush'

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/augustrush/trailer1/medium.html

I wasn't too sure about it at first, the music caught my attention, and then I finally grasped the bond he had with his parents....

I was absolutely exhausted at the end....beautiful music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW3lF9W0g6o

ok,ok, I was teary eyed and blowing my nose at the end... ::)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:46:06 am by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline minismom

« Reply #544 on: July 13, 2008, 06:36:43 am »
We watched "Vantage Point" last night.  It was a really good movie.  The plot was interesting and I finally got to watch something that I didn't feel like I'd seen done 100 times before.

We also rented the new "Stargate" movie, "Ark of Truth", but haven't seen it yet.  If you're a Stargate fan, the new movie comes out on DVD the 29th of this month and Richard Dean Anderson is in it.  And, to round it out, we rented "Hellboy I".  Neither of us has ever seen it but some of our clients said we'd like it.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #545 on: July 13, 2008, 10:32:08 am »
We watched "Vantage Point" last night.  It was a really good movie.  The plot was interesting and I finally got to watch something that I didn't feel like I'd seen done 100 times before.

We also rented the new "Stargate" movie, "Ark of Truth", but haven't seen it yet.  If you're a Stargate fan, the new movie comes out on DVD the 29th of this month and Richard Dean Anderson is in it.  And, to round it out, we rented "Hellboy I".  Neither of us has ever seen it but some of our clients said we'd like it.

Mum

Yes, we watch Stargate...I love Richard Dean Anderson....Daniel, my nephew kept recommending Hellboy. I was very leery as his taste in movies tend to some pretty violent stuff. It was on late TV the other night and I caught the tail end...now I want to see it...not at all like I had imagined.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #546 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:36 am »
I'm re-watching "Into the Blue" on TNT this afternoon (Paul Walker ***SWOON***) and then I may engage in a DVD marathon of Olivier Martinez movies (***SWOON***).

As far as television goes I'm just ever so delighted that the new season of Project Runway begins on Wednesday.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #547 on: July 13, 2008, 02:09:31 pm »
The bf and I just finished watching part I (Friday night) and part II (Saturday night) of Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson, another amazing Ken Burns documentary.  I recently finished watching his 18 hour masterpiece The War (it took me about 2 months of off & on viewing), and had heard this shorter PBS doc was equally as good.

Watching it made me realize how little history I know about African Americans (yes, I've done my homework on slavery and the civil rights movement, but not much in between).  This story was amazing:

"Long before Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier, boxer Jack Johnson became the first African-American to obtain the world heavyweight title. This documentary tracks the life of the trailblazing boxer, from his early days as the son of former slaves to his rise through the ranks of a traditionally all-white sport, culminating with the 39-year-old's achievement of the prestigious title in 1908."

The racism in America back in 1908 comes painfully to life in this film.  It makes it even more remarkable that exactly 100 years later, we're about to elect a black man to be our president  (yes, we can.  and we will.)

Well worth adding to your NetFlix queue.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #548 on: July 13, 2008, 02:25:20 pm »
The bf and I just finished watching part I (Friday night) and part II (Saturday night) of Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson, another amazing Ken Burns documentary.  I recently finished watching his 18 hour masterpiece The War (it took me about 2 months of off & on viewing), and had heard this shorter PBS doc was equally as good.

Ah, I've seen both of those -- the Jack Johnson one was great.  Actually I only saw the shorter PBS of The War I guess if you're saying that a longer version exists on DVD.  The short one was long enough.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: July 13, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »
Just watched "I'm Not There," a movie about Bob Dylan.  It was excellent.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.