Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:26:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 184
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Am I Crazy?  (Read 12811 times)

Offline SecretKeeper

Am I Crazy?
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:50:53 pm »
My 29th birthday was in December.  My first birthday with HIV, my last birthday before 30 and it really hit me hard.  I was super depressed and recognized my depression was causing anger and bitterness with my family so I went to the doctor and she prescribed me Prozac.  So I've been taking 20MG of Prozac since mid-December - since mid-January all I've been able to do is sleep.  It is ridiculous.  I sleep 8 to 10 hours a night and still wake up exhausted and fatigued.  So I finally decide to call the doctor again thinking they'll change my medicine to something else.  I have noticed that I've been in a better mood and my husband has noticed so I thought it was working fine other than I'm tired all the time.  Instead of switching to a diffrent antidepressant the nurse tells me it sounds like I'm still depressed and they upped my dosage to 40MG.  So then that made me think ... am i still depressed?  Maybe I am and just don't recognize it this time.  Maybe I end up feeling however people tell me how to feel instead of what's really going on inside - because I didn't feel depressed until they upped my dosage.  I just don't know what to think about any of this and I was hoping for some good feedback.

Anyone else find that Prozac caused them to feel drowsy?  The doc says it should give me energy, but the side-effects on the sheet say may cause drowsiness - what should I believe?!

Anyone else find that someone told you that you're depressed so you became depressed for that mere fact?

I just feel like I was starting to feel sane, but all of a sudden I feel like I'm going of my rocker again.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Am I Crazy?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:23:04 pm »
Secret, it might be a myriad of reasons for you feeling depressed, other than just people telling you that you do.  I would suggest a good therapist to be coupled with the medication to work out any issues you might have going on that aren't easily recognizable. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:45:32 pm »
Agreed.  I'm *SO* not a believer in GPs dispensing anti-depressants (unless it's one you've been on for a while and thus just refills).  Why isn't he entertaining the thought that the fatigue is from... oh, I don't know -- HIV infection?  Or something.  Sleep apnea?  Could be lots of things.

Still seems off to me -- since when did SSRI's make one drowsy?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bosco

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »
I was on Prozac for a short time, and it made me sleepy during the day. Currently on Cymbalta which doesn't make me sleepy during the day at all.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline bobino

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 01:40:51 am »

Hi Secret,

One thing to bear in mind is that antidepressants affect different people differently.  Just because SSRIs don't tend to make most people drowsy doesn't mean that they're not making you drowsy.  If you're feeling really drowsy now, and you weren't before, it could be the Prozac.

I recommend seeing a psychiatrist for these meds, and ideally, a psychopharmacologist.  Many of them will test you for blood levels of the drug to know whether you've got an effective level in your system.  This can make a huge difference.  I was taking a normal dose of trazodone for a while and found it unhelpful.  My psychopharmacologist measured my blood level, and it was negligible.  My body was just eliminating the drug too quickly.  He upped the dose, and now it works fine.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 06:31:36 pm »
Someone hit the nail on the head about sleep issues.  I next week am going to do a sleep study because I like you am depressed and can sleep for hours and hours and hours and still feel tired.  I am sick of dosing off at work.  I know sleep issues can cause depression so it might be worth a shot.  I would start with a nightly sleep diary and log when you went to sleep and if and when you wake up and how you feel.  That way if you do go to a sleep doctor you then have some stuff for them to look at. 
Good Luck!
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:54:33 pm »
Anyone else find that Prozac caused them to feel drowsy?  The doc says it should give me energy, but the side-effects on the sheet say may cause drowsiness - what should I believe?!

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or a physician?
Any doctor with a passing knowledge of psychopharmacology  will know that high levels of serotonin (and Prozac is designed to boost available serotonin levels) can cause you to feel drowsy, and downright snoozy. Hell, it says so right on the bottle!
Get a better doctor, I say.
Good luck,
Mark

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:47:31 pm »
I was on Prozac for a short time, and it made me sleepy during the day. Currently on Cymbalta which doesn't make me sleepy during the day at all.

I was on PROZAC about 10 yrs ago..........that didn't last very long.....I wanted to KILL MYSELF, but couldn't understand why I felt this way all the time
so, my Doctor ( the one I had back then in 98) took me off of the PROZAC very fast...........and said "I don't think anti-depessants are for you"
and to date I have NEVER taken any anti-depressants EVER again  :-X I gotta agree with PHILLY267 on that one, they aren't for everyone.........
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:17:23 pm »
I have been on many anti depressants. I have always returned to prozac as the drug of choice for myself. It does not make me feel sleepy and I feel cognitively in charge of myself with it. I have to agree with most people here. You need to seek out a psychiatrist. Psycho tropic drugs are not an end all to our problems but can help, as well different drugs seem to work differently with different people. Stick in there it is a process to find the right drug for your body and your situation.
Peter

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 01:32:11 pm »
I have been on many anti depressants. I have always returned to prozac as the drug of choice for myself. It does not make me feel sleepy and I feel cognitively in charge of myself with it. I have to agree with most people here. You need to seek out a psychiatrist. Psycho tropic drugs are not an end all to our problems but can help, as well different drugs seem to work differently with different people. Stick in there it is a process to find the right drug for your body and your situation.
Peter
My problem (10 yrs ago) wasn't that I was depressed..........so that was a MISTAKE by my doctor, I was misdiagnosed...............later I found out that I have Post Dramatic Stress Syndrome ( Job related for what I used to do for the last 20Yr. being in the Military & after than having a Career in Law Enforcement).......so, I take LORAZEPAM...that's generic for ATAVAN...............so, whenever the walls start closing in on me, I just take one of them, and after about 20 min, I'm fine and clam as a old dog..............sure helps me alot ;D so, case in point, antidepressants are WAY over prescribed, and I think this pratice SHOULD BE STOP! it's just WRONG on so many levels, that's it's not even funny..........it's DOWN RIGHT DANGEROUS.......................
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:44:21 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 01:48:05 pm »
antidepressants are WAY over prescribed, and I think this pratice SHOULD BE STOP! it's just WRONG on so many levels, that's it's not even funny..........it's DOWN RIGHT DANGEROUS.......................

Den, while I do agree that antidepressants are overprescribed, some people really do need them because of abnormalities (chemical imbalances) in the brain.  I don't believe that for doctors to stop prescribing them for everyone would be a good idea.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:58:29 pm »
Den, while I do agree that antidepressants are overprescribed, some people really do need them because of abnormalities (chemical imbalances) in the brain.  I don't believe that for doctors to stop prescribing them for everyone would be a good idea.

That may be a fact, but, not every one is depressed, only some are clinicaly depressed...... all I was saying, was most are misdiagnosed, that is what they need to stop...........but, I'm seeing a lot less people on antidepressants.......so maybe that's a good thing  ;D

Offline SASA39

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 10:04:19 am »
Hi ,SK
Rule #1 : If you `re asking yourself a Q like that you`re not a loonie -toonie for sure , yet.........( a friend of mine that study Psycho sciences had told me that a long ago)
Rule #2 : You have to try various AD`s and find which is best for you.And to vary a dosage too.And it is a long job.Beware of the fact that sometimes it needs a few months for some of them to start working.
Rule #3 : Depression is sometimes mixed with PDSS .If that stage last ( and depression is a stage ) more than a year , than you should be worried.
   Hang on
                              Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.