Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:59:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One of the twins is not doing so well (update) good news and bad  (Read 8752 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
After several hours of persuasion I managed to get Mum to feed one of the twins, the other one she has totally rejected, she is very weak and is having trouble standing.
The vet has told me if I can feed her every 2 hours for the next 48 hours she may well get through this.
This is the first new born lamb I have ever held, I can't describe the feeling I get when I look into that beautiful little face, I want her to live so badly, they (the family) keep telling me I should let nature take it's course..I sometimes wonder why they bother, because they know this is an argument they will not win.
Take a look at the photo and tell me honestly...could you just let this beautiful little creature go without at least trying?
I have her in my room...and yes the diaper is necessary. :D

Please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Hugs
Jan :-*

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:06:22 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: One of the twins is not doing so well
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:57:22 am »
Jan,

I couldn't let any creature go without trying. I don't even like to dispatch the aphids in my garden.  :-\

Good luck - I'm sending some positive energy your way, along with some hugs for the wee one.  :-*

By the way, are you expecting any baby alpacas?

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nadine

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:32 am »
Oh Jan...I am saying prayers that the little one will pull through this.
I would do the same as you and not give up without giving it my best shot.

warm and gentle hugs for you all!

Nadine

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:11:34 am »
Jan,

Hope the little lamb makes it. If anyone can do it..I know you can.

What a sweet looking baby.

Keeping fingers crossed and saying a prayer.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 08:14:26 am »
She is very cute Jan.  Fingers are crossed!!!

:)

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:42:34 am »
Oh Jan...

Poor lamb.  I'm with you though...  Sometimes Mother Nature needs a little help.
                 Hope all goes well...and the cute little bugger pulls thru.  Thank God for people like you
                 who have a heart the size of Texas. 

{{{{{  BIG HUG  }}}}}}
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Christine

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 11:54:08 am »
I would be right beside the little one for the next few days. A warm water bottle, and an electric blanket can help. Plus, if you have any stuffed animals. Give her some comfort around her.

Good thoughts going out that she improves.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 12:16:50 pm »
I'm sending good wishes and love your way, Jan. 

robert
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 01:55:34 pm by Robert »

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 12:43:22 pm »
Jan

I could never allow the baby to just die without trying. 

I'm sending positive thoughts to you, major doses of energy, and quiet prayers too.

RAB

(Who hates it when animals are suffering!   :'()

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 01:14:21 pm »
they are quite resilient things really, and with all the love and care you are giving, she has the best possible chance.

my neighbour,mr vet, has suggested (in an over the hedge conversation) regular feeding of electrolyte solution, at least 30 minutes before/after milk feed, either neutral flavour dioralyte or one you make up yourself.

gentle hug for the small sheep..

kate

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 02:10:36 pm »
Jan, I would have to try for sure too.
I'm crossing everything crossable that little lamb makes it.
They are both too cute for words!

Thinking of you.

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 02:21:21 pm »
I've known children and adults who survived because others took those extra steps to get them here and help them to survive.

You're doing the right thing, Jan and exactly what I would expect of as tender and loving a spirit as yourself.

Fingers crossed for the little lamb.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 03:55:24 pm »
The Peace Prayer of Saint Francis

"O Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace!
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is discord, harmony.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sorrow, joy.

Oh Divine Master, grant that I may not
so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life."
---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jan, I am keeping your little lamb in my thoughts and prayers.   She is adorable, and I hope she will be alright.

Love,
Alan

PS - Fang sends kitty kat kisses  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 05:11:57 pm »
Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and well wishes.

Well, she got through the first night, she even managed to get out of her bed so that's a good sign...getting up evey 2 hours brought back a lot of memories.. ;)..but she is looking a litttle brighter this morning, the next 24 hours will be the telling point.

Kate...I have been giving here a product called "Vigest" it contains Vit B and also has magnesium and electrolytes in it to help with her appitite..I gave it to my baby goat(Jacob) when he was sick and it worked well on him..thanks for the concern.
Thanks for the prayer Alan..I will keep you up dated, and keep those fingers crossed that all the other mums will do the right thing and look after their own... :D

BTW..for a little one she knows how to fill those diapers...OK I know, too much information... :D

thanks again
Hugs

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 05:51:25 pm »
Sending a poem your way.

Little Lamb, who made thee?
   Dost thou know who made thee?
Gave thee life, and bid thee feed
By the stream and o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight;
Softest clothing, wooly, bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice?
   Little Lamb, who made thee?
   Dost thou know who made thee?

Little Lamb, I'll tell thee,
   Little Lamb, I'll tell thee:
He is called by thy name,
For he calls himself a Lamb.
He is meek, and he is mild;
He became a little child.
I a child, and thou a lamb,
We are called by His name.
   Little Lamb, God bless thee!
   Little Lamb, God bless thee!

-- William Blake
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 06:04:10 pm »
Oh, I so hope she continues to do well!  You know, in the first pictures you posted, they actually looked like they were smiling.  Is that normal?  has it really been that long since I saw a lamb in person?  I use to try to ride the sheep and goats when I was little.  My grandfather use to put me on the rams so I had the horns to hold onto, and I got more than one black eye from being kicked.  I hope this little one grows up to be a kicker!

Creighton

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 08:19:23 pm »
LAMB!!!!!!!

I'll be thinking about her, Jan. I love lambs. They're so cute and they remind me of easter and soft, squishy baby animals. ><

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 02:00:07 pm »
Jan,

This little one might not know it, but she is being taken care of by the best.

Take care,
John

PS  If I ever make it to NZ, i'm not expecting Q2hr feedings....... ;)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 04:45:49 pm »
Jan, it's not uncommon for one twin to need a little jump start. Will momma let them nurse at all? If she walks away, you may need to tie her to a post and put tie downs on her so she doesn't kick at them. You can milk momma by hand if all else fails.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 08:21:27 pm »
What a great bunch you guys are.

Lydgate...Thank you so much for the poem..I loved it.

JohnO..If you ever get to NZ I will feed you anytime you need it... :D

Rod..I spent several hours trying to getting mum to feed them both, I managed to get her on her back and get the much needed Colostrum into the twins..she has taken to one of them and has her in the paddock with her and she is thriving with mum..but the other little one she is totally rejecting, she just bunts her out the way all the time, so she is in the house with us and feeding well on the bottle..I take her a walk round the garden and she now has a spring in her step, she is getting stronger by the day.

Thank you all for caring about this beautiful little girl.

hugs

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 11:18:36 pm »
Annie,

So glad to hear that the mom has at least taken one in.  Thankfully, the other twin has you to care for her.

I can't wait to hear that they are jumping and playing around the yard.

Be well!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: One of the twins is not doing so well (update) good news and bad
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 02:17:40 am »
Hi everyone

Well the good news is the little one is doing really well, she has put on nearly 4lbs, is running around the garden and she is following me everywhere, and panics when she loses sight of me.. :D..I will have to keep bottle feeding her until she is around  6 weeks old, but I think I can put her back into the paddock in a couple of weeks.

The bad news is I lost my second set of twins today..I thought the weather was in our favour but it turned cold and nasty overnight and we have had storms all day today..not the best time of the lambs to be born..unfortunately we can't be with them 24 hours a day..so I'm just checking every hour during the day just in case the mums need help...I just can't do it during the night..it really is too cold for me to be out there and it's too dark to help anyway..so unless I'm there to help I really do have to leave it to nature.

Thanks again for your loving thoughts.

Hugs

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 07:59:08 pm »
Annie it sounds like u r doing your best...and then some...we'd all love to see more pics of those cute lambs.    ;D

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 08:21:32 pm »
Well those animals have certainly lucked out when destiny sent them to your place, Jan. Hoping the first twin baby continues to improve. Sad about the second pair but all you can do is your best. And I am glad to read that you are taking care of Big Mama #1 -- yourself. That has to come first!

We're having lots of rain in NYC tonight as a leftover from Hurricane Ernesto. I don't hear any baaaaaaing in the hall, so no lambs to rescue as of this moment.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline Quarter Horse

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 01:09:15 am »
Jan,

I just read about this, please know my prayers are with you. They couldn't have a better nurse!

Love you,

Brian
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: IT GOES ON.

Robert Frost

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 06:42:54 pm »
Jan,

I'm sorry to hear about the second set of twins.  But indeed good news/progress on the first baby.  I actually did some internet research on lambs.  I know next to nothing about animals and I was curious as to why a lamb (ewe) would not claim her own babies.  But now I'm fully educated (well somewhat educated) on the complex mothering matters/laws of nature issues you are dealing with.

I wish you well with the rest of the births.  And make sure you look after yourself.  A tired mother nature is not good!

Love ya,

Cliff

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.