Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:23:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Some states prosecute non-disclosure of HIV during sex. Know your risks.  (Read 28614 times)

Offline Boze

Re: The crime of non-disclosure - a new thread.
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »
For the record, I will not argue my position here :)

Texas dude - all I did was pipe up in defense of someone who was trying to help you out. If I wanted to insult you, I would have 50 different ways of doing that. But I'm a peaceful dude and have no bone to pick.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Killfollie,
I dont mind in the least changing the title. I didn't even know it was possible, after the fact.
Is this one better?
If my wording confused you and or offended you, or anyone, I'm sorry. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Actually I was not inspired by the texas newbie, specifically, to write this post, since I posted the information in his thread.  Sorry Texas Stud, it certainly is not me singling you out.

I was inspired by the topic coming up in a number of different threads here, and this weeks news stories about the prosecutions. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
for more information/research, aidsmap.com has a lengthy section about "HIV and the Criminal Law" (http://www.aidsmap.com/law) that touches on many of the issues, from this thread, in the US and around the world
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Stanley5739

• Trying to make my way and help
With some trepidation, I will speak up as a newbie that this thread and having these links is useful.  I guess I could focus my research on the topic and found them but the fact is that the Living With HIV forum is where I routinely go for information that may be useful, comforting or sobering.  And there is a lot, so very much, I am still processing and re-processing.  So I am not not the Jedi master that so many here are.  I have seen articles and blogs from time to time but having these sources and being reminded of these sources is just information.  It seemed that was the spirit in starting this thread.  I may never, ever be in the situation again where disclosure is a step/issue/worry, but the topic is a reality and I don't see ill will or stupidity as reminding newbies that it's there.

Okay, now I will start to put on my heat-resistant suit.
07/15/10 VL Undetectable, CD4 count 634, CD4 21%
06/02/10 VL Undetectable, CD4 count 544, CD4 30%,  BP 133/88
04/23/2010 VL 184, CD4 count 744, CD4 26%,
03/01/2010 VL 106, CD4 count 744, CD4 26%,    
01/21/2010 VL 85, CD4 count 531, CD4 23%
12/14/2009 VL 50, CD4 count 470   
11/04/2009 VL 18,199, CD4 count 686, CD4 23% - Began Atripla
10/05/2009 VL 60,565, CD4 count 758, CD4 27%   
09/09/2009 VL 323,000, CD4 count 545, CD4 18% - Tested positive

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Okay, now I will start to put on my heat-resistant suit.

Nope. You're gonna have to do better than that if you wanna get flamed around these here parts. :P

MtD

Offline tednlou2

Re: Some states prosecute non-disclosure of HIV during sex. Know your risks.
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 11:39:02 pm »
I didn't want to create a new thread for this as there seem to be so many lately.  I was just reading that an Air Force Sergeant was arrested for allegedly exposing several people to the virus at swinger parties.  I thought all military members were tested every 6 months and if you were poz, you could no longer serve.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  The article didn't say he was a former member of the military.  It would be good to hear more details about this.

http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_sergeant_swingers_1_19027.shtml

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 12:24:27 am »
I didn't want to create a new thread for this as there seem to be so many lately.  I was just reading that an Air Force Sergeant was arrested for allegedly exposing several people to the virus at swinger parties.  I thought all military members were tested every 6 months and if you were poz, you could no longer serve.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  The article didn't say he was a former member of the military.  It would be good to hear more details about this.

http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_sergeant_swingers_1_19027.shtml

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 12:29:29 am »

MtD

Very true it seems.  Is that a real pic of those a-holes?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 12:32:09 am »

I can't tell Teddy. The masks seem to be covering their assholes. o.O

Which assholes do you mean?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 12:41:59 am »

OLD NEWS
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:09 am »
I can't tell Teddy. The masks seem to be covering their assholes. o.O

Which assholes do you mean?

MtD

Isn't that Heidi and Spencer?  Looks like them.  

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 12:59:31 am »
Isn't that Heidi and Spencer?  Looks like them.  

It is them two. That pic was a while ago. I believe they're not even together anymore?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 01:18:48 am »

Yummmm Heidi's got issues.. skeebo likes girls with issues.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:09 am »

skeebo likes girls with issues.

. . . and other things too, I'm told. :)

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:46 am »
. . . and other things too, I'm told. :)

MtD

with crackers...

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:17 am »
It is them two. That pic was a while ago. I believe they're not even together anymore?

OMG, Shoes!

Offline skeebo1969

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic

Offline mecch

Offline skeebo1969

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2010, 01:18:26 pm »
Trey I want my two minutes backl....

No sir, you're going to get your gay education one way or another even if I have to spoonfeed it to you.

next up...

Leslie Hall, "This is How We Go Out"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8WoyPEVRFo

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2010, 03:15:43 am »
POZ Magazine founder, Sean Strub, talks about the legal issues with disclosure in this video interview.  He talks about being able to prove you disclosed.  With people serving what could be basically life sentences for spitting on someone or sex with a condom, I'm starting to think my idea (not mine alone) about video taping the disclosure isn't a bad idea.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art58262.html

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:04 am »
I thought all military members were tested every 6 months and if you were poz, you could no longer serve.  Maybe I'm mistaken. 

You are mistaken.  If you test positive while in the service, you are barred from serving outside the US, but you can continue in the military.  You can NOT, however, join the military if poz.

Mike

Offline foreveryoung79

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »
i didnt read all the posts cuz they were too long, but i must say this. weather you feel like a criminal or not has no bearing on being hauled away to jail. im a newby here and this is a very good thread (apart from the angry people who dont want it up). well news for you i needed this info. i was just diagnosed, and afterwards i went and hooked up with this dude thru craigslist (am i allowed to reference other websites here?). we used protection so i didnt think it was a big deal cuz i wasnt putting him at risk then he found one of my profiles on a hook up site that i sometimes use and it lists me as poz. so he texted me all freaked out and asked why i didnt tell him. i appologised but i knew he wasnt put at risk so i didnt really think about it again. until i heard about criminal law suits being filed for the same thing i did. needless to say im not sure if i should contact him and reappologise and make sure were cool or forget about it and just hope that a cop never shows up asking for me.
so ya see its VERY important to those of us newbies who dont wanna go to jail. now any advice please?

Offline mecch

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:02 pm »
so ya see its VERY important to those of us newbies who dont wanna go to jail. now any advice please?

Glad you found the thread useful!

I suppose I can only offer advice on your fear of being arrested. That would be of course to inform yourself on the laws in the state in which you are having sex.  Then make an informed decision on your disclosure practices.

______
(The question of whether to disclose or not - as pertains to your own morality - is up to you and another topic for another thread. There are lots of them here.  ::)

As for the specific instance you presented, I wouldn't contact him again.  No more "apology" needed.  If a similar situation presented again in the future, I think its a good idea to lower the hysteria and emotional outrage, and not be confrontational, but simply acknowledge the persons fear and claim there was no risk and give the person a suggestion how to look up such information him/herself for reassurance."

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2010, 06:29:35 pm »
And people might like to write a few letters to senator, local politicians and the like about the injustice of HIV exposure and transmission laws, and the disproportionate sentences handed down by judges etc.

Or are we all gonna hide in the HIV criminalisation/disclosure closet?

Advocacy and change begins at home, in yer bedroom, in yer local park etc.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2010, 10:53:15 pm »
i didnt read all the posts cuz they were too long, but i must say this. weather you feel like a criminal or not has no bearing on being hauled away to jail. im a newby here and this is a very good thread (apart from the angry people who dont want it up). well news for you i needed this info. i was just diagnosed, and afterwards i went and hooked up with this dude thru craigslist (am i allowed to reference other websites here?). we used protection so i didnt think it was a big deal cuz i wasnt putting him at risk then he found one of my profiles on a hook up site that i sometimes use and it lists me as poz. so he texted me all freaked out and asked why i didnt tell him. i appologised but i knew he wasnt put at risk so i didnt really think about it again. until i heard about criminal law suits being filed for the same thing i did. needless to say im not sure if i should contact him and reappologise and make sure were cool or forget about it and just hope that a cop never shows up asking for me.

As a legal matter, I would not say anything in the form of an apology that could be used against you.  Now, that might not be the moral thing to do, but with all these prosecutions, you would be better served to not say anything that could be used against you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »
i didnt read all the posts cuz they were too long

I am sorry, I did not read further than this line, because it was too long. I strongly suspect that the information you seek, or at least links to it, are found in one of the messages you skipped.

It is a shame that one of your first acts upon entering this forum is to critique the members and it's threads, especially a thread in which you seem to have actual personal investment.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2010, 01:14:17 am »
I am sorry, I did not read further than this line, because it was too long. I strongly suspect that the information you seek, or at least links to it, are found in one of the messages you skipped.

It is a shame that one of your first acts upon entering this forum is to critique the members and it's threads, especially a thread in which you seem to have actual personal investment.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean it that way.  Maybe he meant he was really busy at work when reading this and the posts were too long to read all them now but he'll read them later???  Sometimes people can say things that don't come out the way they meant.  But, maybe he meant it exactly like he said it.   

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2010, 12:20:59 pm »

The only advice I have for you is to read an entire thread, before you slam the people posting in it. Nobody has a problem with disclosure issues being discussed, but we do have a problem when they are done incorrectly or in a hurtful fashion. If you had bothered to read the thread, you would see that the issue was with HOW the information was presented, which was essentially that non-disclosure of your status was illegal and that is simply not true. The thread has since been retitled, to accurately reflect the topic at hand, because our issue with the original post was it implied that non-disclosure of status was criminal, period. Not that non-disclosure of your status, prior to sex, can be criminal depending upon where you live.

Now do you see how your comments were unwarranted? I hope so. Water under the bridge and welcome to the forums.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:40 pm »

(Mechh)

(Thread)

Offline mecch

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »
LOL
How very Swissappropriate.  I know a lot of monsters in Geneva (and I've created none of them!).

Offline mpositive

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:58 am »
Not sure I understand why everyone is attacking each other about this thread....as to whether or not it should have been posted.  Everyone has the freedom to read something or not.  I appreciate pretty much every thread on these forums, regardless of whether or not I agree with there theme. The only time I would want a post censored is if it is aimed at attacking an individual or group. 
Personally, I would not have sex without disclosing, but that is my choice.  That being said, folks, either read this or ignore it.  Much love and respect to all......
Mpositive

Offline dixieman

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2010, 04:38:29 pm »
I just wanted to say... I think this thread is appropriate... although the issue is something I'd rather not want to think about... but, Ignorance to the laws being passed in tthe United States and countries all over the world... I am thankful for the Links  posted by other members... for Information! This is one reason that I only date? poz men... unfortunately few if any around my area are what I'm seeking? so
I only have sex with myself? and no... I am not willing to disclose to myself either...lol it would be nice to have a another hiv+ infected partner in my life... until then its just me??? life goes on...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.