Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Cunnilingus Risk  (Read 12889 times)

Offline john_024

• Standard
Cunnilingus Risk
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:14:21 pm »
Hi there,

I recently had sex with a high risk female sex worker in Thailand (I am male). She performed unprotected oral sex on me and we then had PROTECTED vaginal sex (I did not perform oral sex on her). When changing positions I noticed blood on the condom. I quickly went to the bathroom and noticed blood three quarters of the way up the condom. There was no blood anywhere else. I carefully took the condom off and disposed (not nice, but I subsequently tested the condom by filling with water – condom worked perfectly). I then went back to bed where we had NO further oral or penetrative sex. My concern is regarding residual blood once back in bed. Menstrual blood may have got on my penis (she did masturbate me…possible menstrual blood on her fingers), there was some blood on the bed sheets that I noticed in the morning, possible blood on my penis when urinating, other possible scenarios around residual blood after penetrative sex etc.

Summary – protective vaginal sex, but a worried about residual menstrual blood after the penetrative sex.

Please advise on HIV risk.

Many thanks in advance…….

Offline RapidRod

Re: Menstrual Blood
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »
You never had an exposure, that's what the condoms are for.

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. I guess seeing the presence of blood scared me a bit. I would not have posted other wise. Thanks again RapidRod.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:18:14 pm »
HIV is a fragile virus. It is not passed in the manner about which you are concerned.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as condoms are worn properly for those activities you will be well protected.
Andy Velez

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:47:12 am »
Thanks Andy. So I can assume that an HIV test would be unnecessary?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »
john,

You only need to test if you're a sexually active adult who never tests. You don't need to test specifically over this NO RISK incident.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST SPECIFICALLY OVER PROTECTED INTERCOURSE OR A BLOWJOB, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »
Thanks Ann. This forum is invaluable. Super fast, succinct, and clear.

Offline john_024

• Standard
Oral Sex and Cunnilingus
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:11:01 am »
Hi there,

I have read the posts on this forum around Oral Sex and specifically cunnilingus. I am absolutely clear on wearing condoms for all penetrative sex, and I am fastidious about this in all situations.

I recently performed cunnilingus on a girl overseas. When I brush my teeth I usually get slight bleeding on my gums.  The time between brushing my teeth and performing this specific act was a few hours. Going through the posts, it is pretty clear that this activity is NO risk in real terms. Given that my gums slightly bleed when brushing is this still a NO risk HIV activity, and if it is not should I get HIV tested for this specific encounter?  Many thanks in advance.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:21 am »
John, I've merged your threads here. It's a rule of the site as stated in the opening thread that members should keep all entries in the same single thread. In the future use only this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

As to your latest concern, your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV through giving cunnilingus. I've never known of a confirmed case of transmission in the manner you are asking about. I don't expect you to make history by becoming the first.

For potential risk in that manner having say a fresh open and bleeding wound is very different from the common kind of gum situation you are describing.

I don't see any need for concern nor for testing on your part.
Andy Velez

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:43 am »
Thanks Andy for the quick response. Apologies for creating a new thread. In future will stick to the same thread. Regards......

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 06:19:15 am »
Guys,

Might seem a stupid question, but I have to ask. To my knowledge I have never had a condom breakage. My question is, if a condom breaks during penetrative sex, is it a fairly obvious thing to notice? i.e. can there by tiny rips in the condom not easily detected or is breakage a fairly obvious to notice.

Thanks again in advance...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:38 am »
John,

A broken condom is VERY obvious. Make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:08 pm »
Thanks...

Offline john_024

• Standard
Cunnilingus Risk
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:54:28 am »
Hi there,

A few weeks ago I met a girl overseas and we ended up having oral and vaginal sex. The vaginal sex was 100% protected and safe, so I am not concerned here.

Based on my previous posts and the loads of content on this forum there is no risk of getting HIV through performing cunnilingus. I am pretty sure I know what your response will be, but a few hours before having oral sex I burnt my top lip on hot soup I had at dinner. It was essentially just a noticeable red mark just above my top lip. There was no blood, but still a small burn. Would this change the risk profile of getting HIV through cunnilingus with this burn present, and if so is it necessary to get tested ??

I recently had a full STI screen and I know my status is negative.

Many thanks in advance.

PS -  (I know the rule about staying in the one thread, but my last post was 60 days ago, hence then new thread – as per pop up in this site)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Cunnilingus Risk
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:14:48 am »
John,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different. The sixty day warning pop-up is one you can safely ignore (and we cannot stop it from happening).

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Burning your lip on hot soup doesn't change the fact that going down on a woman is not a risk for hiv infection.

Hiv transmission doesn't stand a chance of happening via female genitals to mouth - there are just too many obstacles on the oral route.

The first obstacle is the mouth itself. The mouth is a veritable fortress, standing against all sorts of pathogens we come into contact with every minute of our lives. It's a very hostile environment and saliva has been shown to contain over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Hiv is a very fragile virus - literally. Its outer surface doesn't take kindly to changes in its preferred environment; slight changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all damage the outer surface. Importantly, it needs this outer surface to be intact before it can latch onto a few, very specific cell types and infect. 

Which leads to the second obstacle. Hiv can only latch onto certain types of cells, cells which are not found in abundance in the mouth.

The third obstacle to transmission this way is having hiv present in the first place. The female secretion where hiv has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid. This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix. You are not going to reach this area with your tongue or lips.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have yet to discover one shred of evidence (and believe me, I've looked) that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more hiv present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids.

So there you have it. Once the results of the serodiscordant studies** started rolling in, what we know about hiv transmission on the cellular level was validated. The only people who were getting infected were those who had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Period. One of the three studies went on for ten years and involved hundreds of couples. That's a lot of nookie.

**There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Keep using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, and continue to get regular sexual health check ups, and you'll be just fine. OK? OK.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »
Thanks for the comprehensive response Ann.

Offline john_024

• Standard
HIV Risk - Clarification
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 02:52:19 am »
Hi there,

I have been in Dubai for a couple of months now. Since that time I have been with a number of CSW’s. In all cases there has been vaginal penetration but FULLY protected – I am fastidious about this, given a stupid thing I did a few years ago. My worry is cunnilingus I performed on that last couple of CSW’s, and the fact that 2-3 weeks after the last interaction I have developed some severe nasal congestion. So my questions are as follows:

1. Do you guys still subscribe that Cunnilingus (whatever spin you put on it) is essentially a no risk HIV activity in practical terms regardless of any anecdotal ‘documented’ cases that are sighted on the web?

2. My symptoms were initially slightly sore throat followed by severe nasal congestion (lots of blowing my nose). My rectal temperature is usually 36.8 but is 37.1 C (I am pretty sure this does not constitute a fever?). No rash or severe sore throat. Can you confirm this is not typical of ARS? I understand that you document here that symptoms are never a reliable measure for HIV status, but thought I would ask at any rate.

3. Do I need an HIV test given that I performed cunnilingus on CSW’s ? I am pretty good with ensuring my sexual health is ok – had full STD screen prior to arriving to Dubai a few months ago including HIV.

I understand that the above has probably been answered countless times here, and you may be frustrated answering essentially the same questions again (apologies for this) and I have posted questions on cunnilingus before…..but I have just started seeing a girl here so want to be sure before things move forward sexually and that I don’t need to rush out and have an HIV test.

Many thanks is advance.

Regards……

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 07:08:38 am »
John,

"1. Do you guys still subscribe that Cunnilingus (whatever spin you put on it) is essentially a no risk HIV activity in practical terms regardless of any anecdotal ‘documented’ cases that are sighted on the web? "

Cunnilingus is still not a risk for hiv infection.

"2. My symptoms were initially slightly sore throat followed by severe nasal congestion (lots of blowing my nose). My rectal temperature is usually 36.8 but is 37.1 C (I am pretty sure this does not constitute a fever?). No rash or severe sore throat. Can you confirm this is not typical of ARS? I understand that you document here that symptoms are never a reliable measure for HIV status, but thought I would ask at any rate."

No, that's not a fever. If you continue to feel unwell, see a doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with a virus for which you have not been at risk.

"3. Do I need an HIV test given that I performed cunnilingus on CSW’s ? I am pretty good with ensuring my sexual health is ok – had full STD screen prior to arriving to Dubai a few months ago including HIV."

No, you do not need to test for hiv over a NO RISK situation.

"but I have just started seeing a girl here so want to be sure before things move forward sexually and that I don’t need to rush out and have an HIV test."

You must understand that you need to use condoms in this new relationship for at least three months, at which time you can both be tested for hiv and all the other STIs before the condoms come off. Just because you have tested negative across the board on your recent STI check up doesn't mean she has had similar recent results. Don't go by what you think you know about her sexual history or STI testing history. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with the new relationship.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13:39 am »
Thanks Anne.

Regards,

J.

Offline john_024

• Standard
Condom Usage
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 05:02:18 am »
Hello there guys,

Clarification on condom usage.

I am a circumcised male.

The last couple of times of vaginal intercourse I checked to see if the condoms were indeed still intact during the sexual act. In both cases they were, but each time the tip of the condom was fill with a small amount of white fluid. At the end of both acts the condoms were intact, not broken, but had slipped slightly - a cm or so (one episode I ejaculated, and one I did not).

My question is what is this small amount of white fluid in the tip that occurs during the sexual act (I use quality condoms, the are considered 'Extra safe'). Maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but I assuming there is no way vaginal fluid can creep inside the condom (slippage was minimal)?  I assume there is no HIV testing required for this specific event (as mentioned I do a full STD panel twice a year)..

Thanks in advance.

Regards...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:14 am »
John,

Have you never heard of pre-cum?

Vaginal fluids do NOT "creep through" condoms nor do they seep, slither, swim, crawl, walk or fly through condoms.

Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection. There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

No, you do not need to test over this specific situation. Just carry on with your routine check ups and you'll be fine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 07:38:18 am »
Thanks.

Offline john_024

• Standard
Condom - small hole mid way up
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 08:45:16 pm »
Hello there,

I am starting a new topic as my previous post is more that 60 days old.

I am bit anxious over an episode last night. I was with a sex worker last night and had protective vaginal sex with her (all without ejaculation). One instance we used a condom provided by the CSW. Upon checking the condom after the act, there was actually a small hole mid way along (very small – when I filled the condom with water, it squirted out). The head of the condom was totally intact (no water escaped), so my penis head was covered. I understand that you guys always state that when a condom fails it does so in a very obvious way – this was not the case.

Assuming that this tiny hole was present during the act (mid way up the condom), am I at any risk of HIV. I always tend to check condoms after I have penetrative sex – to stress again when I tested the ‘head part’ of the condom, no water escaped. Please advise.
Thanks.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 08:59:46 pm »
You have repeatedly been warned to not post outside of your original thread so I'm issuing you a warning . Next time you will be given a 28 day time out .

From Ann .

John,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different. The sixty day warning pop-up is one you can safely ignore (and we cannot stop it from happening).

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

From Andy .

John, I've merged your threads here. It's a rule of the site as stated in the opening thread that members should keep all entries in the same single thread. In the future use only this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

As long as the tip of your penis is covered you did not have a risk . You do not need to do the water test on condoms, if they are defective you will know as you have been advised already, you may will have damaged the condom doing the test and are now worried over nothing . Please read your whole thread again because there is all the information you need for this assessment also . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline john_024

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. The only reason I created a new thread, as a red message box appeared with the 60 day criteria - consider creating a new topic. Apologies for this.

I have read that small holes just do not happen. But there was certainly a small hole when doing the water test mid way up the condom - it was obviously a small hole as water squirted out. Just to confirm that is the tiny hole was present, there is no way vaginal fluids could seep in?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
That's why Ann included this last time she warned you .... . The sixty day warning pop-up is one you can safely ignore (and we cannot stop it from happening).

No more excuses .

You probably put a hole in the condom mishandling it doing the water test . As long as your penis tip was covered it was not a risk . Someone once said ... Vaginal fluids do NOT "creep through" condoms nor do they seep, slither, swim, crawl, walk or fly through condoms. You do not have to worry about seeping creeping vaginal fluids as long as the of your dick is covered .

If you are unconvinced you can test at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months for peace of mind . Best wishes . 

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.