Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Yogurt  (Read 11802 times)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
Yogurt
« on: August 13, 2006, 01:24:08 pm »
This is the only brand of yogurt I will eat because they don't use corn syrup.
http://www.stonyfield.com/
Check em out
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline carbonNYC

Re: Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:25:58 pm »
In general, all that brand's sweetened yogurts have just the right amount of sweetness. When I have Yoplait or Dannon these days I almost gag on the sugar (or syrup) quantities they add. I just love Stonyfield -- and for some reason it's the cheapest at my local Whole Foods! The regular grocery stores artifically jack up the price because this is relatively "premium," I suppose.

Any good yogurt recipes? I haven't moved past the smoothie.
David
carbonNYC -a-t- gmail.com
Check out the Flickr photos I've taken!

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:56 am »
The link not only has recipes but you can sign up for coupons. Check it out. As for sugar, you think it is right , the  more you back off of sugar the more you redefine what is sweet.
I have been eating White Rose Natural peanut  butter made with peanuts and salt nada mas.

A friend gave me some Jiffey and I gagged ! It was nauseating .I haven't seen any studies on what these crack sugars do to you and actually seen reports by some scientists that high fructose corn syrup is getting a bad rap- right. Just like second hand smoke is okay.
I was getting heavier and realized it was the cranberry I was drinking outside my home. I reverted to water.
Since our metabolisms aren't working correctly due to the meds it would be interesting to see if any correlation between hfcs and weight.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:33:00 am »
Ah! I missed the recipe link (and the coupon link!).

What I'm surprised about is how many of that site's recipes involve cooked yogurt. I mean, I guess yogurt is a low-fat substitute for sour cream, but I eat it for the healthful bacteria (of which Stonyfield includes more varieties than Dannon -- but who knows whether that's actually better) which are acid-tolerant but not heat-tolerant! Why pay for the good yogurt and then cook those little guys to death?

I might actually try this one, though -- my mom makes this with sour cream:
Ambrosia
Ingredients:
32oz Stonyfield Farm Vanilla Yogurt
1 cup pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
20 oz can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained and chilled
11 oz can mandarin organges, drained and chilled

As for the sugar aspects you mention -- one of the best things I did was stop adding sweetners (artificial or otherwise) to coffee. Just the little sugar in the milk does it for me now, and I actually enjoy the real taste of the coffee. As a consequence, adjusting to the relative bitterness of coffee makes my taste for sugar in my diet overall much lower. (And since I drink decaf and green tea, I'm not having huge caffeine issues!)

I've gotten really into reading about the science of cooking, recently. It really makes you appreciate food more -- and now I actually know how to cook meats!
I highly, highly recommend this book: On Food and Cooking, by McGee. I've been making it my bedtime reading
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684800012/sr=8-1/qid=1155558166/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0414722-7371109?ie=UTF8
Full disclosure: I'm a biologist -- so it may not be for everyone!
David

Offline Christine

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:15:38 am »
Stonyfield is the best. I love Tzatziki sauce. It is the white sauce on gyros. I eat it plain, or dip some bread into it.

Tzatziki Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups Plain yogurt
1 medium Cucumber -- peeled and grated
1 clove Garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons Olive oil
1 tablespoon White vinegar
1 tablespoon Finely chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon Finely chopped fresh mint
1 pinch Salt

Directions:
Combine all the ingredients in a glass bowl and chill for several hours.

I drain the yogurt, and press out as much of the water as I can with the cucumbers. I also do the mint and dill to taste.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:57:18 am »
Hello Christine,

Thanks for that recipe ! I have always wondered what Tzatziki consisted of. I love it also. I remember hearing it was made with yogurt.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 11:04:44 am »
Christine,

When you say "drain the yogurt" -- do you do that with cheesecloth? Or some other method?

Does anyone know if that process leaches healthful components of the yogurt (e.g., bacteria)? I often pour off that liquid from opened yogurt but I wonder if that's somehow defeating the purpose.

...I can see how it'd make for better Tzatziki, though.  :D
David

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 06:50:58 am »
I LOVE Stonyfield yogurt. It's almost theonly brand I can tolerate. The others are so cloyingly sweet and artificial tasting. Plus, I like the layer of cream on top :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 06:58:30 am »

Occasionally I'll eat yogurt and, I agree, Stonyfield is great.  The others leave me feeling listless and undigested.
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Christine

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:18:46 am »
Carbon NYC,
I don't know for sure if draining the liquid from the yogurt would take away the good bacteria. My guess would be no....I think the good bacteria is in the yogurt itself.

I take a colander, drape it with cheesecloth or a coffee filter, then place the whole thing over a bowl. It usually drains for a few hours in the fridge. You can make it without draining the yogurt, it is just a little thinner, and will have some water sitting on top which will have to be mixed in before eating. I have made it both ways- taste is the same, I just perfer it a little thicker.

I also forgot to add I peel and seed the cucumbers. I just love the stuff!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.