Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 02:12:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 6939 times)

Offline loshan

What Would You Do?
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:55:20 am »
Last weekend had to rush my boyfriend to the hospital ER because he cut halfway through his big toe with a chainsaw. Keep in mind that we live in a rural area and the nearest ER is in a community of 9,000 about 40 miles from our home. The ER was great, doctors and nurses no problem and everything taken care of as good as they could that evening. We had to go back in the next day to see a surgeon and set up surgery.

The next day he sees the surgeon who "thinks" they can put him back together, but he has to get "permission" from a GP  to have the surgery (as far as general health, etc.). And there lies the problem.....

This first question this doctor asked was "how" he got HIV.....was he "still using heroin?" !@#!? well if he didn't get it that way, was he "queer"? How long had he had it? Did he think it was "worth" sewing his toe back on in light of his HIV? I mean.....where the hell did this woman come from?

I was so angry I couldn't see straight, but all the BF said was...."forget it", if she doesn't give "permission" we will go to Seattle and have it done.

I would like to report her to someone, but have no idea who or how.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
loshan

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:21:30 am »
Absolutely report this appallingly negligent medical officer. Without delay. Does the hospital have a complaints procedure? I would think it does and that's the place to start.

This doctor's conduct is unconscionable. You should not have to go to Seattle to receive such basic medical care. Your partner's HIV status is of absolutely no clinical relevance in this case and the doctor should not have even mentioned it.

The real clincher here is the "observation" by this baleful women that your partner was not worth treating because he has HIV infection. This, more than anything, indicates that her motivations were not professional but irreparably tainted by her personal prejudices.

MtD

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:24:34 am »
What the fuck?

I didn't know they allowed people like this to be responsible for the health of others. Report the crap out of her.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:31:33 am »
This is total bullshit. Go right to the top. Just keep asking for people's supervisors until you get to the top. This has got to stop man.

If you don't get anywhere, I'd call the local newspaper. Go right to the editor.

Raise bloody hell!!!!
Positive since 1985

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:37:02 am »
I might offer one further piece of counsel here.

When I said check out if the hospital has a complaints procedure, I meant it. Going batshit insane in the office of a ranking health bureaucrat may be satisfing, but at this early stage it's probably just counterproductive.

Lodging a formal complaint is essential in nailing the bitch properly. This case is a fairly egregious one and warrants a formal complaint. Following the process calmly but remorselessly will freeze the hearts of doctors and health officials much more effectively than screaming and shouting and hollering for the media.

MtD

/edited to kill a rogue plural/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:10:23 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline allanq

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:09:21 am »
loshan,

That doctor's behavior is appalling. It's almost beyond belief. Do whatever is necessary to get your boyfriend's toe fixed. Then go after that doctor with everything you've got!

Good luck, and let us know how things go with your boyfriend and also with your action against the doctor.

Allan
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:13:06 am by allanq »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 02:20:20 am »
Hello,

Check with Hospital Administration, and get yourself a complaint form. It will/ should be very similar to the one in the following PDF : ( And follow through)

http://www.op.nysed.gov/opd-complaint.pdf

Take care-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tinydaniell

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:27:54 am »
you definetly need to report and here is the health and human services form go to

www.hhs.gov/ocr/howtofileprivacy.pdf

michael
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:33:05 am by tinydaniell »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 06:10:32 am »
I can't believe someone like this is in charge of making decisions regarding people's health.  I would be beyond angry.  But, like the Damned one said, yelling won't do much right now.   Report her, get it resolved on that end, then go crazy and scream. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 06:21:18 am »
Jeeze, I haven't used my big toes ONCE since I got dah aids. Nope, never. Neither one of them. ::)

Report, report, report and report some more. This "doctor" needs some serious discipline.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 07:54:12 am »
Loshan

Re-reading your post, both docs are questionable (one outrageous obviously) in their modus operendi. You wrote of the surgeon saying he "thinks" he can put your partner's toe back together. Is that how he said it and is that all he said? Or, was it more along the lines of there are no guarantees as to outcome, potential for nerve damage, range of motion limitations, etc. ? And, with regard to his needing "permission from a GP"--is that in accordance with a health insurance regulation? a hospital regulation? do you know or have you asked why he made that stipulation? I would want to know why he asked that. I would want to know definitively if he was playing by the rules or playing a game by pushing you to a GP in the interim.

The reason?

Perhaps, if you've not already made arrangements, your beloved should have the surgery in Seattle where queer is dear and talent abounds. Further, perhaps you should be making a formal complaint about two docs, not one.
Em

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:10:23 am by emeraldize »

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:03:18 am »
My question to the doctor would be if you cut your toe would you have surgery on it, of course they would!
When old Lucas makes complants i am always calm cool and collective, never give them the out that you were ranting and raving and acting like a ass.
Go to the top with this, and wonder aloud if this would make a good human intrest story in the paper or on the local news, rattle them up a bit.

Hope the toe heals up good, good luck

Lucas

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 08:41:06 am »
Absolutely report this appallingly negligent medical officer. Without delay. Does the hospital have a complaints procedure? I would think it does and that's the place to start.

When I said check out if the hospital has a complaints procedure, I meant it. Going batshit insane in the office of a ranking health bureaucrat may be satisfing, but at this early stage it's probably just counterproductive.

Lodging a formal complaint is essential in nailing the bitch properly. This case is a fairly egregious one and warrants a formal complaint. Following the process calmly but remorselessly will freeze the hearts of doctors and health officials much more effectively than screaming and shouting and hollering for the media.

Because some things are worth repeating!!!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 09:46:17 am »
you definetly need to report and here is the health and human services form go to

www.hhs.gov/ocr/howtofileprivacy.pdf

michael

This form is for filing a complaint under HIPAA, which doesn't have anything to do with this situation.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:49:25 am »
Ok... you have a computer? I presume so... you can google for who is in charge of the medical facility you were recieveing the procedure from... also you can google to check who is in charge of the medical system (Public Health) in your state... Use the computer to your advantage...

Offline Teresa

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 10:53:18 am »
I hope you report this Dr. I don't think I would have kept my cool if it was me! Would have told her what I thought and then report her.

No one is gonna treat my hubby any different or disrespect him just because he is HIV+, if they do they will have ME to deal with!

So sorry you and your bf had to deal with a dr like that.

hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline racingmind

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 11:13:36 am »
Holy shit. I couldn't believe your post as I was reading it.  That is scary thinking coming from a so-called health professional.  That person does not deserve to have a job after an outrageous incident like that.  Do what you have to do to report the hell out that person.

I hope that you got the proper care for your BF. Good Luck.
Tested Negative: 5/06
Tested Positive: 9/06 
9/06: CD4: 442 (28%) VL: +100,000
10/06: CD4: 323 (25%) VL: 243,440
11/06: CD4: 405 (28%) VL: 124,324
12/06: CD4: 450 (29%) VL: 114,600
1/07: CD4: 440 (27%) VL: 75,286
3/07: CD4: 459 (30%) VL: 44,860
5/07: CD4: 353 (24%) VL: 50,852
7/07: CD4: 437 (29%) VL: 39,475
9/07: CD4: 237 (32%) VL: 372,774
10/07: CD4: 324 (27%) VL: 115,454 
Started Atripla: 10/07
11/07: CD4: 524 (?%) VL: Undetectable!
2/08: CD4: 653 (35%) VL: undetectable
5/08: CD4: 822 (40%) VL: undetectable
8/08: CD4: 626 (35%) VL: undetectable
12/08: CD4: 619 (36%) VL: undetectable
3/09: CD4: 802 (38%) VL: undetectable
7/09: CD4: 1027 (43%) VL: not tested
10/09: CD4: 1045 (43%) VL: undetectable

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 02:59:49 pm »
Wow I am very sorry you had to go through that! What a stupid bitch! Good luck!

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 03:14:02 pm »
In Ontario Canada, we have The College of Physicians and I am sure that you have some board or the equivalent where you are.

You must write this up with a copy the the hospital administration.

This doctor needs more than a slap on the wrist.

Outrageous.

Sorry you had to go through this one. 

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
1. Report it to the hospital's Public Relations Office
2. Contact the State Licensing Board.
Not only was the behaviour reprehensible, it was also an absolute NO-NO! The Board of Medical License will need a complete recounting of the incident, and may even do a sworn affidavit over the phone.
This is a very serious infraction. Do not rest until this person has been dealt with apppropriately.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline loshan

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 07:56:27 pm »
Thank you all for your responses. The BF got the go ahead, had the surgery on wednesday and we will be going back tomorrow for follow-up. While he is in with the surgeon, I will be filling out complaint forms and speaking to the head of the clinic.
Not only was I appalled by her conduct, I was completely floored that ANYONE in a "professional" position would behave like that in this day and age. Outrageous.
Well, someone will hear about it tomorrow and I will report on results.
Thanks for the feedback

Offline loshan

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 07:59:25 pm »
BTW....Ann, now that you mentioned it, I don't believe I have have used any of my toes in my fight against this virus, might as well take em all off ;D

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 08:00:33 pm »
I'm delighted to hear both that your sweetie had his toe seen to and that you've decided to pursue this dreadful individual, Loshan.

Best regards,

MtD

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 02:03:36 am »
That is so screwed up...glad your moving ahead with the complaints.

I'd had torn the doc a new a-hole right then and there.

Keep on top of them until you get justice. These hospitals like to push stuff under the rug to cover their docs and overall rep.

Good luck!

:)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 05:04:53 pm »
This first question this doctor asked was "how" he got HIV.....was he "still using heroin?" !@#!? well if he didn't get it that way, was he "queer"? How long had he had it? Did he think it was "worth" sewing his toe back on in light of his HIV? I mean.....where the hell did this woman come from?
Thanks
loshan

F@%#&@%^&!! Beyond the toe thing, that sure was crappy. The doctor has a license to practice medicine. Each State has a licensing board. Write an objective "who, what, where, when" story and file it under whatever procedure they have. Quote dialogue and refrain from interpreting facts or statements. Ask in writing for a response. It's not just about your BF. It's about every patient she mistreats by judging their worth as human beings. This topic is part of medical training. By the way there is no need to divulge details of your BF's medical history or records (protected under Fed HIPPA Law) other than possibly replying "there is no notation in medical records, nor has there ever been any heroin use," or something truthful to that effect (this is entirely optional). The complaint could be from him, with you mentioned as a witness, or it could be from both of you, patient, and accompanying friend/witness. You can ask questions at the end like whether a patient's sexuality has any bearing on providing medical services, etc., whether hiv+ people are routinely denied emergency surgeries, etc.  You might copy the top people at the Facility, corporation, insurer, etc. Put the heat on this asshole who ought to be wearing a white sheet instead of a white jacket. Feel free to PM me. I think it would be a terrible thing to just let this go, much as I admire you BF's laid back style.

8)  -megasept

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:06:27 pm by megasept »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 07:16:39 pm »
Hi Losh,

Glad your boyfriend has been taken care of and I'm glad you're making a formal complaint. Make 'em toe the line! ;D

Ann
(who couldn't resist)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.