Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 03:19:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 173
Total: 173

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

why so much greed?

???
0 (0%)
!!!
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Cost Of Atripla, why so much differences? Pffffffff :-(  (Read 14363 times)

Offline kevinincape

Cost Of Atripla, why so much differences? Pffffffff :-(
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
Hi,

I feel disgusted!!!! I knew NGOs and international organizations have done in the last 10 years a fantastic job to decrease the prices of ARV drugs, especially in developing countries but now the differences are huge!!!
I actually live in Cape Town in South Africa, before starting Atripla, I did a little investigation on the prices of this drug: if I'm wrong let me know, but so far i found this:
- in France, Atripla costs around 750 euros per month (almost 1000 US dollars)
- in USA, Atripla costs around 1500 US dollars per month (more money for pharmaceutical comp.)
- in South Africa, Atripla costs 513 South African Rand per month (almost 70 US dollars)!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my first box yest ::)

There is no doubt ARV drugs should even be cheaper on the African continent...  for more accessibility... but when we know that not even a 1/3 of American people are not covered... it just makes me sick! : :-\

Offline kevinincape

Re: Cost Of Atripla, why so much differences? Pffffffff :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:58:23 pm »
Are the figures that I wrote above right? :o

thanks

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:20:47 pm »
Are the figures that I wrote above right? :o

thanks

It's not true that 1/3 of US patients with HIV/AIDS are not covered for medical treatment and medication.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »
Kevinscape

Of course it burns everyone up that there are people in so called rich countries like the USA who do not have easy access to HAART. 

But you have to put those prices into the total context of why they are that way.
Also, probably the 70 US dollar price in your country was figured out to be the price that could be managed by your health care system or who ever what ever is paying for that supply.

You should know that the USA therefore US tax payers gave South Africa over 3 billion dollars for the fight against HIV/AIDS from 2004-2011.  3 billion.

http://www.pepfar.gov/countries/southafrica/index.htm

Additionally, not part of the above figure, is UN funds for HIV/AIDS and the US is the largest contributor to those funds as well.

Maybe you could dig into this a little and educate us or at least me.  I would be curious how most of those 70 USD monthly supplies are purchased?  US and UN money goes to the South African government, and the South African government buys the drugs.  Or US / UN purchase drugs directly (and if so, at what price?) and these drugs are shipped to South Africa?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline viradayworks

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:43:07 pm »
After being diagnosed with Lymphoma, I found out I was HIV +.  After my chemo regeime, I was put on Atripla.  My counts were a mess: CD-4 (T_cells) was 7 and Viral Load like 30,000.  I'm being treated for both at Sloan Kettering in NYC.  Atripla was very hard to afford--$1,700 month.  After 6 months on Atripla, I needed to find an alternative.  My counts after 6 months on Atripla was CD-4 110 and Viral Load 18,000.  Not great number but improving.   Was told CD-4 goes uo the most after first few months on the 3 drug coctail (Atripla) and then about 100 pts per year.

I did research and found an Atripla alternative called Viraday (by Cipla Pharma- India).  I reviewd 30 articles and only 1 was negative (probably written by the maker of Atripla) .  Two months supply cost me $350 as opposed to Atripla $3,400.  (purchased from Universaldrigstore.com-- They accept an Atripla perscription).

I was on pins and needels from December (when I started Viraday)until February, my next visit at Sloan for follow-up and blood counts.  I got great news:  CD-4 up to 130 from 110 in November; and Viral load to 240 from about 18000 in November.  Viraday works and is not a sugar pill as I had feared.

I confessed to my doctor about switching to Viraday,  I asked her opinion.  She said, " the proof is in the numbers".  I took that as an endorsement.

Viraday is the same 3 meds as Atripla,.  Atripla is on US patent until 2017--- thus the high price.  Viraday is a generic Atripla, and is not subject to patent in Asia.

I hope this helps.  Any questions, my e-mail is: ambro_frank@yahoo.com

Offline kevinincape

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:51:39 pm »
Miss Philicia: wasn't talking only of people with HIV/AIDS but the whole population, but u are right, more accurate figures are close to 17% now :-)

Mecch: thanks for those info, I m gonna investigate believe me and let you know about those hidden deals...

Viradayworks: I m glad you could get the generic from India :-) (that was my whole point, it's weird to see that people from so the called developed world can't afford the drug anymore while I, living in the so called developing world can). There is another generic of Atripla that they produce here in South Africa, I read the article last week on the newspaper, I let you know about the name soon  :D

Thanks guys ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »
Miss Philicia: wasn't talking only of people with HIV/AIDS but the whole population, but u are right, more accurate figures are close to 17% now :-)

... and you're obtaining these numbers from where exactly?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.