Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:48:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 443
Total: 443

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: is it possible to be HIV+ & not get sick?  (Read 5546 times)

Offline tippytu

is it possible to be HIV+ & not get sick?
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:46:29 pm »
So I guess I've finally convinced myself that I am not gonna die tomorrow (well not from HIV anyway)
But my question is can you live with this & not get sick? I don't mean AIDS I mean like any of the associated illnesses that come along with HIV?
I want to keep working & now I'm stressing out that even tho I may never develop AIDS that I'm going to be I'll all the time? I mean I want quality of life too not just quantity! My husband has HIV also so that puts double the stress on me like if we both get sick & lose everything we have worked so hard to obtain,
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:00:06 pm by tippytu »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: is it possible to be HIV+ & not get sick?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:09:40 pm »
I moved your thread for you !

If HIV is well treated and you are adherent to your meds there is no reason why you cant live a life without those issues with just a little luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tippytu

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:41:15 pm »
Well I was caught during seroconversion.  CD 4-330 30% vl-2767 put on combivir & isentress 3 weeks later when baby was born cd4-480 45% vl-ud ..hubby cd4-880 vl-ud he is not on meds..

I have not missed one dose however baby is on meds so I do it at same time but she is almost done with hers so afraid I might not do too good once I stop giving her hers.

Also I can't find a straight answer since hubby is one who infected me & we are both undetectable can we have unprotected sex?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48:42 pm »
Well I was caught during seroconversion.  CD 4-330 30% vl-2767 put on combivir & isentress 3 weeks later when baby was born cd4-480 45% vl-ud ..hubby cd4-880 vl-ud he is not on meds..

I have not missed one dose however baby is on meds so I do it at same time but she is almost done with hers so afraid I might not do too good once I stop giving her hers.

Also I can't find a straight answer since hubby is one who infected me & we are both undetectable can we have unprotected sex?

You better do what ever it takes to get your meds in you if you want to see your kid grow up ... I don't mean it in a harsh way but yeah , its that important .

I don't think having unprotected with your hubby will hurt a thing if you are sure you are in a secure monogamous relationship so that there are no other STD's brought home .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 03:10:40 pm »
Yes, there are some people who are naturally immune to HIV, they are believed to gave survived the black plague.

There are some people who are non progressors  (who never took medicine) .  I have one in a group I go to and he will be going to DC to be studied soon.  He may have some of the genes of people from northern Europe who are naturally immune.

But for most people, no, eventually you will get sick.  The good news is if you do get sick there are meds to make you well again.  I got sick around 97 and I was lucky that this was when Protease were just coming around, probably saved my life. 

But it really doesn't make sense to get sick from not taking meds, you don't know what other problems you may get including permanent  neuropathy. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:13:13 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline tippytu

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:47:21 pm »
Since hubby is undetectable with no meds...does that mean he may be elite controller or long term non progressor?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:50:25 pm »

I hope I am reading this correctly, please correct me if I am wrong...  You fear that once your baby finishes her required time for taking the meds that you'll have issues adhering to yours?  If this is the case, it should be something you bring up with your ,doctor at your next visit.  Unintentionally missing doses can create problems that you don't want, you don't want unnecessary resistance issues that can arise from skipping meds.

Were you put on meds during your seroconversion because you were pregnant at the time? 

Regarding the unprotected sex question, yes you can do this but do so with confidence that it's a monogamous relationship.  I apologize up front by raising any doubts, but you know sometimes shit happens.  Last thing you want is something to add with the HIV diagnosis.

And, of course, don't forget the presents that come 9 months later after having fun.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tippytu

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »
Yes you were residing correctly... hopefully I will be able to adhere...will do my best.
& yes placed on meds immediately because of pregnancy...he better be faithful or HIV will be the last of his worries!! Lol oh & I had my tubes tied after baby so no presents 9 months later!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
Lol oh & I had my tubes tied after baby so no presents 9 months later!

LOL my wife did too...

The last baby wore me out..... I'm getting too old.

I've known two women who went off meds after their pregnancy only to start them up later when their numbers got low.   It's something they did with close medical supervision (ie regular labwork). 

Mind you, this is not advice..... just merely a possible option that could be discussed with your physician. 

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:08 pm »
..hubby cd4-880 vl-ud he is not on meds..

Did your hubby have an ud VL, and was not on meds when you were diagnosed ? (were you infected by a person that was not on meds but had an undetectable VL ? )

Offline 1in1000000

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »
..hubby cd4-880 vl-ud he is not on meds..

Hi tippytu!

Some people stay undetectable for 2 years this is due to immune system and strain of the virus.
Elite controllers can stay without ART 15 and more years.
So time will show.

I wish good luck to you and your family!

Offline 1in1000000

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 05:53:34 pm »
Did your hubby have an ud VL, and was not on meds when you were diagnosed ? (were you infected by a person that was not on meds but had an undetectable VL ? )

It is possible to transmit infection before seroconversion than seroconvert and receive undetectable VL.
VL drops down after serovonvertion in some cases to undetectable.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:03:59 pm »
Hi Tippy

How about if your baby's doc advises an appropriate vitamin for your kid. Could you line up your meds with that?  Another approach might be to time it with a morning feeding so you're doing something regular at the same time. Just an idea.

Offline tippytu

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »
Grasshopper I dont know how to quote or I would...Dr say I was infected 3-6 months ago had to be hubby he is only one I've been with...we have been together roughly 20 months & he was with someone right before me..when we started dating he developed swollen lymph nodes so we assume he was infected shortly before that..when his viral load was tested shortly after I was diagnosed it was undetectable...

He swears he's never cheated but now that I think about it.. how could I be infected if he was undetectable then? Idk its confusing maybe he wasn't ud  when he infected me but then it dropped down???

Offline tippytu

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:34:50 pm »
Emeraldize. The vitamins are a good idea..I think the reason I never missed hers was because I realized how important it was for her..as for me well at one point I told hubby I was not taking the meds anymore & I was just gonna let the virus run its course (because every time I take the meds it reminded me I have HIV) well that didn't even last a few hours before hubby said if I didn't he would leave he wasn't gonna sit around & watch me die..

Oh & I had a negative test 6 months ago!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:51 pm »
He swears he's never cheated but now that I think about it.. how could I be infected if he was undetectable then? Idk its confusing maybe he wasn't ud  when he infected me but then it dropped down???

It's entirely possible...  he could have been infected right before the two of you got together.

It's kind of water under the bridge at this point...  Btw, congrats on the birth of your daughter. :)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:44 pm »
Oh & I had a negative test 6 months ago!

Weird... maybe that bridge has a life ring under it.

Offline tippytu

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »
Oh & the Dr said it was odd for my viral load to be so low during seroconversion...

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 11:26:13 am »
Hey Tippy;  Just wanted to say welcome to the forums and a big congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

Sincerely,
jm
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.