Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:11:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 223
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Judge Rules Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional  (Read 22210 times)

Offline nixsmail

Re: Judge Rules Gay Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2010, 04:13:37 pm »
well said mike, i don't really think that you could find "proof" or "no proof" anywhere of things that people perceive as derogatory. maybe boze also considers fag or faggot to be not derogatory as well. seems to me it fits in the same class he's trying to make.
09/05/07 Officially diagnosed +4yrs at the time
11/06/07 CD4 624 (18%) VL 43,200
05/04/09 CD4 272 (15%) VL 521,190
06/10/09 CD4 127 (13%) VL 626,376 Started Truvada/Prezista/Norvir
07/15/09 CD4 849 (20%) VL 379
09/09/09 CD4 594 (21%) VL 68
01/28/10 CD4 706 (23%) VL 127
05/27/10 CD4 655 (22%) VL 322
07/29/10 CD4 750 (22%) VL 220
10/22/10 CD4 669 (23%) VL 65
12/27/10 CD4 720 (24%) VL 270
03/08/11 CD4 644 (23%) VL 631
07/27/11 CD4 694 (23%) VL <20
03/09/12 CD4 601 (20%) VL UND
11/07/12 CD4 693 (23%) VL UND
04/17/13 CD4 559 (23%) VL UND
11/07/13 CD4 846 (24%) VL UND
03/28/14 CD4 869 (24%) VL UND

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »
I've never considered the n-word derogatory because there's a river called that in Africa, just with one less "g" to confuse everyone.  Well, they're not fooling me!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2010, 04:25:12 pm »
I've never considered the n-word derogatory because there's a river called that in Africa, just with one less "g" to confuse everyone.  Well, they're not fooling me!

Nipple?

Offline Boze

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2010, 04:27:48 pm »
Really??  you just dig deeper and deeper while trying to rationalize your nonesense.  "where this practice started"??? 
Clearly you either can not see what the issue is here or you simply choose not to see it.  Yes, Lesbos has a good deal of history around lesbians and did lend its name to the term, but that still doesn't make it right to call them lesbos.  Just because you can't find it on the internet doesn't make it untrue -- anymore than seeing something on the internet making it true.  Your repeated defense of your action is just showing your ignorance.

And......   if lesbians decided that they didn't want to be called lesbians -- than it would only be proper to stop calling them that. 
Your opinion doesn't matter when it comes to what someone else finds derogatory.  Why are you even fighting this fact??  You make absolutely no sense to me.

Mike

A lot of words, not a lot of sense. I asked - why is lesbo derogatory if it's simply the root of the word. Your only explanation - because lesbians find it so. Moreover - you can't provide any prooflink to your view, so then 'anything on the internet isn't really a source because i can't back my words up with it'.

I don't care so much about this word in particular - just fed up with PC where everybody is always offended. You're not even a woman and you're offended.

Those who want to know why nigger is derogatory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger#Etymology_and_history

faggot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(slang)#Etymology

dyke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke_(slang)

I'm not saying there is a 'proof' - only asking why if there is no mention of this anywhere, why do I have to take someone's word with no explanation?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 04:27:54 pm »

The Nile?  
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 04:32:28 pm »
A lot of words, not a lot of sense. I asked - why is lesbo derogatory if it's simply the root of the word. Your only explanation - because lesbians find it so. Moreover - you can't provide any prooflink to your view, so then 'anything on the internet isn't really a source because i can't back my words up with it'.

I don't care so much about this word in particular - just fed up with PC where everybody is always offended. You're not even a woman and you're offended.

Those who want to know why nigger is derogatory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger#Etymology_and_history

faggot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(slang)#Etymology

dyke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke_(slang)

I'm not saying there is a 'proof' - only asking why if there is no mention of this anywhere, why do I have to take someone's word with no explanation?

So if it doesn't bother you it shouldn't bother anyone else, eh? 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »
Boze, you may not like the fact that some people find a term offensive but you can't tell them they shouldn't feel offended. You can say you don't care if they are offended, you can tell them that you didn't mean to offend, but you can't tell them how to feel. If a lesbian says she find that term offensive the polite thing to do is apologize, not argue the point.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »
Boze, you may not like the fact that some people find a term offensive but you can't tell them they shouldn't feel offended. You can say you don't care if they are offended, you can tell them that you didn't mean to offend, but you can't tell them how to feel. If a lesbian says she find that term offensive the polite thing to do is apologize, not argue the point.

Precisely.  Also why am I posting in this thread again?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 04:50:07 pm »
A lot of words, not a lot of sense.

Is it OK if I place this in my siggy line as a quote?

Offline Boze

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »

I guess the reason it's offensive is the perceived 'lack of respect'. Most minorities are not happy if they are called by any term that's is not exactly their preferred nomenclature.

I see it now and apologize if anyone took offense.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Boze

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:00 pm »
Is it OK if I place this in my siggy line as a quote?

By all means!
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 02:26:16 am »
Overweight, lots of flannel, and a mullet.

Ummmm..

All these years and I never knew.. ;)

Ah well I'm off down the pub now to down a few tinnies, see ya later.
Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:28:29 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:13 am »
SIgh.

Let me explain this carefully for you Bozie. What we have here is a clear cut case of misogyny.

The Governor of Hawaii has vetoed a bill concerning civil unions for same sex couples. Rather than comment on the substance of the issue, Ted, Madbrain and the other one have decided to pass reference to the Governors physical appearance which they believe suggests she is a lesbian.

This is called misogyny.

MtD

My comment wasn't based on appearance. I heard on the TV program gay usa that she was a closeted lesbian. This wasn't my opinion, just something I was reporting. That program didn't have any pictures of her, just commentary. I didn't actually see what she looked like until after this thread when I googled her.

Anyway, it's too bad this thread went off topic.

The judge's ruling is a very interesting one. Now it remains to be seen whether the administration will appeal it, and whether it will apply to anyone other than the original parties who sued.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 07:33:57 am »
I guess the reason it's offensive is the perceived 'lack of respect'. Most minorities are not happy if they are called by any term that's is not exactly their preferred nomenclature.

I see it now and apologize if anyone took offense.
And the award for the forum's most passive-aggressive, non-apology apology goes to...

Offline Boze

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:24 am »
And the award for the forum's most passive-aggressive, non-apology apology goes to...

Should I call the Jesse Jackson equivalent of lesbians?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 09:39:20 am »
Should I call the Jesse Jackson equivalent of lesbians?

One step forward and two steps back, good stuff Bozo!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 11:00:05 am »

All these years and I never knew.. ;)

I don't recall seeing you as overweight in person my dear.  And that's not a proper mullet you sport, though it's a bit Park Slope Brooklyn lesbian circa 1989, but they all copied it from Geraldine Ferraro.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:03:11 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 12:29:18 pm »
I don't understand....  How is this not much less acceptable usage than "lesbo"? 

I don't know about that, but it's apparently ok to refer to Americans as Yanks and Seppos (septic tanks).
It's a complex world

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »
I don't know about that, but it's apparently ok to refer to Americans as Yanks and Seppos (septic tanks).

I get called "the Yank" all the time and it's almost like some people think it's my last name. It doesn't bother me in the least.

But call me a lesbo and you're gonna piss me off big time. I have to admit I don't mind dyke, provided it's not said in a nasty context/tone of voice where it's obvious it's being used as an insult. Most of the gay women I know don't mind dyke either, again provided it's not being used to insult.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 03:35:42 pm »

"Yank" (never "yankee") you'll have to live with. It's not a perjorative. It's simply what we call youse. Just like we call the English "poms". Also, we don't make the distinction between north and south, so to us a Cajun is as much a yank as a New Englander.

As far as we're concerned, you all piss in the same pot. :)

Speaking of pots which are pissed in, "seppo" (as you have noted) is the shortened version of the Australian rhyming slang "septic tank" (it rhymes with "yank" geddit?), and also doesn't carry any particularly negative connotation these days. I believe it originated during WWII when it wasn't considered the nicest of labels.

Though I can appreciate how the targets of that particular appellation might be slightly less than gruntled. It does lack a certain glamour.

MtD

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 04:54:55 pm »
I get called "the Yank" all the time and it's almost like some people think it's my last name. It doesn't bother me in the least.

But call me a lesbo and you're gonna piss me off big time. I have to admit I don't mind dyke, provided it's not said in a nasty context/tone of voice where it's obvious it's being used as an insult. Most of the gay women I know don't mind dyke either, again provided it's not being used to insult.

I don't take offense that easily.  The purpose of my post was to agree with Edfu about the blatant hypocrisy that derailed the thread.

It's a complex world

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »
I don't take offense that easily.  The purpose of my post was to agree with Edfu about the blatant hypocrisy that derailed the thread.

Hypocrisy is the stuff that power the internets, without it we'd all be bored senseless.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »
I call anyone born north of the Mason-Dixon line a yankee, and rightfully so.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2010, 08:16:18 pm »
I call anyone born south of the Mason-Dixon line a unrepentant racist, and rightfully so.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2010, 09:19:42 pm »
I call anyone born south of the Mason-Dixon line a unrepentant racist, and rightfully so.

I hope your central air takes a dump tonight.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »
I hope your central air takes a dump tonight.

Fret not -- areas from Orlando southward are grouped with the Caribbean basin, not Dixie, due to the high volume of foreskin.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2010, 09:39:57 pm »
Fret not -- areas from Orlando southward are grouped with the Caribbean basin, not Dixie, due to the high volume of foreskin.

So what are you washing the klonnies down with tonight? Paint thinner or nail polish remover?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
So what are you washing the klonnies down with tonight? Paint thinner or nail polish remover?

MtD

No klonnies tonight, I'm getting high from the smell of my arm pits.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2010, 09:43:15 pm »
No klonnies tonight, I'm getting high from the smell of my arm pits.

Ah. Diesel straight from the pump. How butch. :)

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 01:24:17 am »

This is so untrue I'm not unrepentant.

(yes I'm kidding before anyone gets their panties in a wad)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 06:08:05 am »
I gave a course in Taboo language a few years ago.  With the rise of Internet, mobile communications, "text speak" and ever more casual and clipped ways of communicating, many young people don't bother or don't even know how to switch registers - adjusting speech to the situation and people present.  Unfortunately I gave the course in a elite university and the students didn't need it much. I proposed it to the public high school ("gymase") and the administration was horrified! shocked! by the contents.

After a certain age, and if you want to contribute to something so mixed up as a global Internet discussion forum, you've got to learn some respect.

Boze, if you can't figure out that "lesbo" might offend, you might want to watch this documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCDE-gWqIWQ&feature=related
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.