Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 213
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question about environmental exposure  (Read 17474 times)

Offline janda

Question about environmental exposure
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:41:38 pm »
I understand that most of you do not like to discuss ARS symptoms because not everyone gets them and the symptoms are the same as a lot of other non-HIV things.  But, I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer:

1) Is it possible to have ARS symptoms as soon as 5 days after exposure?
2) Is it possible to only have 1 symptom or do they occur in clusters?
3) If someone WAS experiencing ARS symptoms how soon would the test be positive.  (ie. is it possible to go through ARS within 2-4 weeks after exposure and then test negative at 9 weeks afterwards (and then test positive at 12 weeks)?

Thank you!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: ARS Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 03:35:49 pm »
It is possible but less common to have ARS symptoms as soon as 5 days after an exposure.

If symptoms occur they happen at the same time, although not infrequently they are hardly noticeable and it is only with hindsight after testing positive that some symptoms are recalled.

Going through ARS within 2-4 weeks would make it more than very unlikely to test negative at 9 weeks and then test positive at 12/13 weeks.

I'm assuming you are asking these questions because of a specific concern. If that's so then discussing the specifics of your situation would likely be more helpful than generalities and speculation about ARS issues.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:37:37 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline janda

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 04:03:30 pm »
Hi Andy,
Thank you for your straightforward answers.  I didn't post about my incident because I posted about it on the old board and everyone said no risk and to be honest, I'm embarrassed that I can't let it go.  But, I decided that since I still can't let it go I'm going to do a Home Access test tomorrow.  I'm just tired about worrying about the what-ifs even if it is only a remote possibility.  Saturday will be 9 weeks, so although I know it's still within the window period, from what I've read on here it is a very good sign if it is negative.  I also very much want to start a family soon so I decided that even if it is a remote chance, the responsible thing to do is test before trying to conceive.

My possible exposure occurred in a public restroom on a busy interstate.  There was nobody in the restroom when I entered and I didn't see anyone leaving as I was walking in, but before I left I noticed soap bubbles in one of the sinks, so someone had to have been in there fairly shortly before me.  I'm guessing 2 minutes before me at the earliest.

Anyway, I entered and saw that 2 stalls were unusable so I used the third stall.  At some point I noticed discarded tampons in the feminine products box. What I am afraid of is that I reached in and touched one and then put my finger in my mouth.  I was very anxious before I even entered the restroom so I had been biting the inside of my lip and it was raw. 

I've done tons of searching on how long HIV survives in the environment but there is a lot of varying information out there and of course, nothing really addresses this situation. 

I got very good answers from the old board  and I know symptoms mean nothing so I really don't put too much value in how I felt afterwards, but I had pain on the inside of my upper arms (right below armpit) and some armpit pain from 5 days after to about a month after that came and went.  (Is armpit pain even a real ARS symptom?  I know there is a strong mind-body connection as I also suffer from IBS due to anxiety)  I also had a cold or allergy attack exactly 3 weeks later, but I know that has nothing to do with any possible ARS.

Anyway, I read the boards quite often and I know you get a lot of paranoid people like me and I don't want to be disrespectful to all of you experts, but that's my story.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 05:38:03 pm »
Janda,

If you have already then I would recommend that you read the Welcome Thread. It contains links to the lessons here at AIDSMEDS and addresses all of the concerns that you have.

Also you might benefit from returning to the Old Forums and reviewing the answers given to you in your thread there.

MtD

Offline janda

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 05:29:41 pm »
I have a general risk assessment question.  I've been reading along and I keep reading the experts say that the ONLY way to contract HIV is through unprotected vaginal/anal sex, sharing needles and rarely oral sex.  So, my question is, why is there so much information out there about other possible methods and warnings about other activities?  Like, because of my situation I looked up info on contact with blood on a surface and there is so much, even in "official" info like CDC pamphlets and such about how you should not touch any bodily fluids, blood, etc. etc.   Are they just being way overly cautious when they print this stuff?  Or is it outdated info where people once thought it was possible but now know it isn't?  Why don't they state risks like they are stated here?  (please note I'm not questioning this site, but rather the other sites).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 05:47:25 pm »
Janda,

I wish someone would tell me why other websites insist on publishing outdated or just plain wrong information. Sites like that are the bane of my existence, no kidding. Some of them publish stuff like that because they are religious based and funded and all the moralistic crap that goes along with that. And that includes the CDC now days. Personally, I think it should be illegal to give out anything other than the true facts on hiv transmission and how to protect yourself from hiv infection.

On this website you will find only information based on first-tier, peer-reviewed data as published in current scientific journals. We don't peddle myth here, we disseminate facts.

Stick with us and you'll get the real deal.

Use condoms for anal or vagina intercourse and do not share drug injecting equipment and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 06:09:10 pm »
Also, Ann, I notice that lots of sites simply parrot other sites, and add nothing - nada - zero - to the cause of HIV education. I see site after site lifting CDC doctrine verbatum, often from HIV pages that are over twenty years old, and presenting it as current.

It's intellectual laziness, which this pandemic can ill afford. I honestly wish some of these sites would simply go away rather than make such a feeble attempt at public service.

I chose to throw my lot in here at aidsmeds because it was the only site which was based on science - and was not afraid to have information challenged.  And because people like yourself, Andy, Tim and Peter understand first-tiered peer-reviewed data. Not an awful lot of moderators on other websites understand that, and fewer still are willing to alter their paradigm in the face of data.

Sounds like an ad for this site <g>. Well it sorta is. This site has emerged as the premeir source for HIV information because it deserves to. We don't have single source answers, witty but unquantified responses, or contradictory risk assessment which goes undiscussed publicly. That's why it works, and that's why aidsmeds saves lives.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline janda

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 02:21:11 pm »
I'm sure your jobs here would be much easier if there was not so much information on the net that can lead people to think they were at risk!   I really appreciate the consistency on this site and especially when you post information directly from scientific journals and studies.  I tried to look up some information on my own but it was way over my head.  I've also seen the same CDC info over and over and over again (I'm talking about their sheet on environmental transmission).  Certainly there has to be other "official" information out there.

Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting the results of my Home Access test (I know I had no risk from my incident, but I'm anxious anyway).

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 02:26:18 pm »
Sadly, by the time information becomes "official," it has deviated a GREAT deal from the source material. Doesn't help when the official site is a governmental agency - and the government is adamantly opposed to sex education.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline janda

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 08:46:55 am »
Hi there - I just wanted to post an update.  I received my negative Home Access test result last night.  I understand that I really didn't need to test in the first place, but I must admit it was a big relief to hear the result.  I'm yet another person who had a few symptoms that may have seemed like ARS, but definitely were not.  I think the mind is a very powerful thing and can literally cause the symptoms to occur. Thanks to everyone who responded to me and best wishes.

Offline janda

barber shop question
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:54:40 am »
Hi All - I posted a question a couple of months ago, but now I have a new question.  About a year and a half ago my husband got his hair cut at a popular old-fashioned barber shop.  The barber used a straight razor on his neck.  When he came home I noticed that his neck had several small cuts from the razor and he told me that the barber was quite old and seemed to have a hard time keeping his hand steady.  I asked if my husband saw the barber sterilize the blade first and he said he did not see him do that.  I freaked out but my husband thought I was being ridiculous.

Well, since that time my husband had an uncommon infection that he had a hard time getting rid of with antibiotics and he just told me that he has had some pain in his armpit (off and on) for about a year.  He said he can't feel a lump or anything.  He said it's a sharp pain that comes out of nowhere and then goes away.  This got me worried that he has 1) a lowered immune response and 2) possibly a swollen lymph node that's causing the armpit pain.

I would really like my husband to be tested but he is not a worrier and would think I was crazy for suggesting he should be tested.  So, I am asking your opinion.  1) Is the barber shop incident a risk?  2) If it is not a risk, why not?

Thank you!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: barber shop question
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 10:06:47 am »
This is absolutely NOT an HIV situation.

HIV is spread through direct and immediate access to specific parts of the blood by infectious HIV. Neither of these components exist outside the body. HIV cannot remain infectious outside the host.

Welcome Thread

Offline janda

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 10:18:43 am »
Thank you for your quick post.  I know you do a lot of research so I respect your opinion quite a bit.  I have to say that part of what had me worried were some of the answers on thebody.  One expert in particular (not Bob) has repeatedly said that it is a low risk and that he would not go to a barber that used a straight razor.  I would think that in addition to the time lapse between clients (even if only 10 minutes), the use of shaving cream would kill the virus if the client had HIV and blood got on the razor.  Does that sound right to you? 

Offline HIVsexpert

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 10:24:34 am »
OK.......first off, disregard any "advice" from thebody.com unless it comes from Dr. Bob himself.  Regarding your concern,  you are extremely overexamining this situation.  First off, there is no way your husband contracted HIV from this situation.  HIV cannot survive outside of the body.  Why are you also assuming the razor the barber used was covered in HIV infected blood???  I seriously doubt anyways that the barber did not disinfect the razor prior to using it on your husband, however you dont know THAT for sure either do you?  In a nutshell, stop worrying.  Your husband, DID NOT, get HIV from this.

Offline HIVsexpert

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 10:28:32 am »
Not to mention......there is alcohol in shaving cream.  HIV is very fragile..........the shaving cream would have killed it, IF EVEN there was HIV infected blood on there, which is very unlikely.  Stop drawing for straws....this is not a risk, but it seems like you are freaking out.  I would find someone to talk to in person, to calm your nerves, and read up on how HIV is really transmitted.  Your husband is not an exception, or the FIRST person to contract the disease in some weird, unlikely way.  Stop worrying.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 10:36:05 am »
Dr Bob was being facaetious in his reply. His sense of humor is sometimes rather dry, and if avoiding HIV infection is his motive for not going to barbers with straight razors, I submit that he was infected in 1991, so that ship has sailed.

Welcome Thread

Offline janda

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 10:42:31 am »
No, it was actually Dr. Diettrich (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) at NYU or Columbia (I forget which) who said repeatedly that he thought it was a risk.  I actually didn't see Dr. Bob address this question anywhere.  Usually if the answers are old and not from Dr. Bob I take them with a grain of salt, but Dr. Diettrich answered this question I think in 2001.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 05:57:06 am »
Janda,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline janda

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 11:34:16 am »
Hi Everyone, I'm back.  Since I last posted it seems like my DH has been sick constantly.  He is currently at the beginning stages of his third cold in as many weeks.  He also has persistent pain in his underarm/rib area that was diagnosed as muscle strain (but we are skeptical since he didn't do anything to strain it and it has been going on for over a year).  He also has a rash on one hand.  I am very concerned that something is going on with his immune system and I think I am going to suggest to him that he get an HIV test. (please note I do not think these are ARS symptoms, but I've been concerned since his barbershop incident in Feb. of 2005 that he may have contracted HIV).  I'm a little nervous about his reaction but I hope he will at least consider getting tested.

My question to all of the experts is, based on the information that I gave regarding the barbershop incident, would you recommend testing on that alone (I know it's been said that razor knicks, etc. are a theoretical risk, but would you still think a test is necessary?).  Also, if a person has had HIV for a year and half is it possible that they are already experiencing symptoms due to immune system impairment?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 11:54:24 am »
Janda,

If getting an hiv test is the only way you're going to let this go, then go ahead and see if your husband wants to test. Just don't be surprised when it comes back negative. Getting cut in a barber shop is not going to result in hiv infection. How does your husband feel about you projecting your hiv anxiety on to him? Maybe some marital counseling would be the best option here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline janda

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 09:37:18 pm »
Hi all - I hope you don't mind that I have a quick question for you.  At work I had an old lancet that I bought back in June when I took my Home Access test.  I bought the lancet because the safety lancet that came with the kit didn't work right and I needed to draw blood.  The kind I bought is not a one-use lancet.  it has a cap on the end. Anyway, I never threw it away after I took the test in case I needed to test again.  I just put it (capped) in my desk drawer.  Well, yesterday I got it out of the drawer and wiped down the sharp tip with Purell and then wiped the Purell off.  I then used it to prick my finger.  I had a hard time drawing blood (it's actually a very sharp point so it doesn't make a big hole).  I was able to squeeze a small drop of blood out of my finger by pressing on the skin around it.  Anyway, after I did this I thought maybe it was a stupid thing to do.  Here's my question - if someone (like a janitor) was to prick themselves with the lancet and then re-capped it, could infectious blood remain infectious on the tip of the lancet?  Air can't really get in the cap.   Would exposure to oxygen for a short period of time (say 30 seconds) be enough to disable HIV on the tip?   Also, does Purell kill HIV?

I feel totally ridiculous asking this question because I know it's a HUGE "what-if" because why would a janitor go rummaging through my desk drawer and prick themselves with a lancet.  But I would really appreciate it if one of the experts could humor me and let me know if HIV would remain viable on the tip of the lancet if it were capped.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 09:56:40 pm »
NO!!!

Offline janda

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 10:44:13 pm »
Thanks RapidRod.  I didn't think so being that the lancet is outside of the body but I felt better checking just in case.

Offline janda

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 09:48:28 am »
Hi all - I have a question and then some observations.

First, can a flu shot cause a false positive with an Elisa test? 

Second:  my observations about razor risks.  I know a lot of people have had similar incidents as my husband (razor cuts at barber shops) and I've done a lot of thinking about all of the possibilities.  I basically came to a few conclusions and I'm hoping the experts can confirm my thoughts and hopefully this might help others in the same situation.  I have to add that I am female and have not witnessed a straight razor shave at a barber shop so please correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Basically there are 5 possible scenarios at the barber shop.  I am assuming that the previous customer is HIV positive and was cut with the blade.

1) Barber changes blade between customers - obviously no risk
2) Barber rinses blade between customers - would rinse away any blood, so no risk
3) Barber wipes blade on a towel between customers - would wipe any blood away, so no risk
4) Barber doesn't do anything to blade between customers  - shaving cream residue on blade would kill any HIV
5) Barber does a quick pass at any sections that he missed without using shaving cream and cuts customer and then does nothing to blade - small amount of blood that could possibly be on blade would become harmless quickly (within 5 minutes).

So basically shaving cream would kill any HIV and also the surface area of the blade that is exposed to cut skin is very small (sharp edge of blade) so any blood that remains there would dry quickly.

Also, I keep reading that certain cells are needed for HIV to infect and the finger for example is not conducive to HIV infection.  Would these cells be in the skin of the neck since there are a lot of lymph nodes in the neck?

Again, please confirm if you think my assessment is correct.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 12:21:56 pm »
NO, a flu shot will not cause a false positive.

Offline janda

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 10:50:02 am »
Thanks for your response on the flu shot question.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the rest of my post?  Thank you!

Offline janda

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 08:38:42 am »
Hi all - I really need your help this morning.  I'm sure you're all sick of me, but please let me know what you think here.  Logically I don't think I have anything to worry about but I can't shake this sick feeling in my stomach.  After work last night I went and bought a Home Access test at a drugstore.  There were 3 tests on the shelf.  I picked up the first one and as I was walking to the cash register.  As I was walking I noticed that the box was sliced - it was like someone used an exacto knife and cut across the box near the top on the side of the box.  I realized that the box shouldn't have been cut like that so I took it back to the shelf and grabbed the next one.  This one was also cut but not all the way across.  I looked at the third one and it wasn't cut, so I bought it. 

When I got in the car I noticed my thumb was hurting.  I got home and I saw a small flap of skin on my thumb so I pulled it off.  It looked similar to when you have an old papercut and you can see where the skin was cut.  It didn't bleed at all but it was red.  I'm not sure if it was just red from me pulling the skin off.  I have no idea if this was new or old.

Anyway, I started thinking about why the boxes would be cut - it seems clear someone was tampering with them and I started to fear that someone might have done something malicious, like put a needle in the box or something and maybe that caused the cut on my thumb. I feel ill just thinking about it. 

What do you think I should do?  Should I go back to the store and look at the boxes again to see if there is anything sticking out?  I didn't put my hand in the box, but I did push on it and run my finger (not my thumb I don't think) over the slice of the second box.  Should I point the boxes out to the store manager?  I did not take the test - I figured I might as well wait 6 weeks since now I'm afraid of this.

I'm really beating myself up - I never should have bought the test in the first place and now this happens.  Please help!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 10:00:52 am »
Janda,

I'm afraid there is nothing we can do for you here. I would suggest you contact your doctor for a referal to a good mental health therapist. Nothing you have brought to this forum in any way, shape or form is a concern for hiv. You need to get to the bottom of your hiv obsession, and you can't do that here.

If you persist, you will be given a time out to encourage you to get the help you need.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline janda

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 11:10:18 am »
Thank you Ann for your response.  I know you are right and I have been seeking an OCD counselor in my area.  Unfortunately it seems they are hard to come by, but that is not relevant right now.  I also admitted to my husband for the first time last night that I have this obsession.  He actually laughed at me (not in a mean way) because he said it is so ridiculous (in terms of sexual activity or drugs we are basically as low-risk as it gets).  I hope it is ok if I ask this one question though - do you think I should contact the pharmacy to tell them about the boxes or should I just let it go?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 11:43:23 am »
janda,

Let it go and log off this website.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline janda

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 12:05:01 pm »
Hello all - back again.  I am happy to say though that I am seeking treatment for my OCD in regards to HIV.  I have not yet had counseling but I am in touch with a mental counselor who treats OCD and I am going for my first session next week.  Thank you to Ann for urging me to seek help.  I have high hopes that my obsessions will be better in 2007.

As far as the Home Access box, I decided to call the pharmacy a couple of days later to tell them about the boxes.  The manager put me on hold and went to look at them herself.  She said that she's almost certain that an employee cut the boxes open with a box cutter when opening a shipment. That was a relief to hear.

I do have 2 quick questions for the experts - one is regarding CMV and eye problems.  Is CMV an opportunistic infection that shows up when a person has full-blown AIDS?  Or is it something that could pop up when they are still largely asymptomatic and still in the HIV stage?  Is CMV a first sign of AIDS or is it something that shows up when you are already pretty sick?

Secondly, in terms of bodily fluids - are they less infectious when they are still wet but absorbed by some type of clothing or cotton tissue?  For example, if you are in contact with a fluid that is still damp, but on a cotton t-shirt, is that less viable than a puddle of said fluid?

I hope you do not mind me asking these questions - I am truly serious about overcoming all of this but these questions are still nagging me.

I wish all of you the best of health and happiness in the new year!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 12:21:38 pm »
janda, I'm not even going to attempt to answer your question. You had no risk for HIV and I won't play the answer games with you. Read the lessons in the "Welcome" post at the top of the page and follow the links. 

Offline janda

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 03:20:47 pm »
Can I just re-visit the flu shot/false positive question?  I just read the following information on an FDA website:

"People should be aware that they may test HIV-positive with the ELISA test after a recent flu shot, says the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC recommends retesting with the more accurate Western Blot test to rule out false positives."

Source: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/flu.html

I noted that this is from 1994 - is this still true?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 03:38:10 pm »
I doubt it, but what's your point.? You are talking testing of 13 years ago. All positive ELISA or anyother test is backed up with a Western Blot.

Offline janda

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 05:01:22 pm »
I guess my point is, is it still possible to have a false positive due to a flu shot or is this something that has been resolved?  Does it matter if it's a first generation test (are today's first generation tests the same as those from 15 years ago?)   I'm guessing that a false positive Elisa is a disturbing event to go through, so if a flu shot makes it more likely then at what point does the flu shot not matter?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 05:38:30 pm »
janda,

Anytime you take any hiv test, you run the risk of having a false positive. That is why there are checks and balances in place to determine whether a positive result is truly a positive result.

You haven't had a risk and you don't need to test. Concentrate on working through your OCD and leave this site alone. It's obviously toxic for your mind.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline janda

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 09:17:02 am »
Hi all - it's me again.  I would just like to ask a couple more questions:

It has now been a little over 8 weeks since I thought I might have been scratched when I purchased a Home Access test (see previous post).  I did eventually take that test at 6 weeks 1 day since I bought it and it was negative.  However, the week during the test I was having joint pain and muscle tingling/pain.  I recognize that it was probably stress, so I wasn't too concerned about it.

In the time between that scratch and now my husband and I have not had unprotected sex, but we did have some frottage about a week and a half after the scratch.  My husband has been sick the past couple weeks - no fever, but postnasal drip, sore throat, chest congestion and some mild achiness.  He's been feeling better the past couple of days though.  However, last night he told me he has a rash on his face.  In the time we've been together (10 years) he's never had a rash of any kind.  I asked him if it was on his chest and he said he didn't think so (his chest is rather hairy, so it would be hard to tell).  He is not at all concerned about HIV and doesn't know anything about ARS symptoms, etc., so the rash can't be chalked up to anxiety.

The rash is just barely noticeable when looking at him.  It's somewhat raised and a little bit red.  Not itchy and not pimple-like.

So, as far as timing, this rash appeared a little more than 6 weeks after our frottage incident.

So, my questions are:

Frottage - would it be a risk if the woman had a high viral load due to primary infection and she had a lot of vaginal fluids?

ARS timing - I've read (on WebMD) that it can be 2-6 weeks after infection.  Does that mean it can start 6 weeks after infection or that if it starts at 4 weeks it can last 2 weeks - so therefore that's why they say 6 weeks?

I was really doing much better but this whole rash thing has thrown me for a loop.  :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:49 am »
Frottage - would it be a risk if the woman had a high viral load due to primary infection and she had a lot of vaginal fluids?

FROTTAGE IS NOT A RISK FOR HIV TRANSMISSION. PERIOD.

ARS timing - I've read (on WebMD) that it can be 2-6 weeks after infection.  Does that mean it can start 6 weeks after infection or that if it starts at 4 weeks it can last 2 weeks - so therefore that's why they say 6 weeks?

TWO WEEKS AFTER AN EXPOSURE TO THE VIRUS IS THE MORE COMMON TIME FOR ARS TO OCCUR.

OF COURSE ALL OF THIS IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT SINCE YOU DID NOT HAVE A RISK FOR HIV. REALLY.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO BE LOOKING AT IS WHY YOU'RE HOLDING ON TO THIS UNWARRANTED CONCERN? WHAT'S THE "BENEFIT"?
Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 09:47:36 am »
I'd take your husband to a Dr. to have his problems diagnosed.  It is NOT HIV related in regards to the frottage incident.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline janda

Question about environmental exposure
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 09:03:18 am »
I was with my husband at a hardware store this weekend and an employee was cutting metal shelving for us.  When he was finished cutting the shelving some of the edges were rough and apparently he cut himself on it (he cut the "webbed" area between finger and thumb).  He had a paper towel over the cut, but it was definitely bleeding through the towel.  Anyway, he and my husband then put protectors on the sides so the edges weren't sharp. 

My husband did not actually touch this guy's hands, but he did touch the shelving after the guy was cut.  My husband did not notice any blood on his hands or on the shelving (it was white), but he did have some day old cuts around his cuticles where he picked the skin off.  They were not bleeding though and had scabbed over.

Is there any risk if blood got on the the shelving and was still wet and then got on one of my husband's old cuts?  He thinks I'm being irrational (I made him clean his hands thoroughly with antibiotic wipes).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Question about environmental exposure
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2009, 10:21:07 am »
Janda,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You've been coming here long enough to know that hiv is not transmitted from objects in the environment. I hope you're still seeing someone about your OCD.

DO NOT  continue to post over this latest NO RISK incident. If you do, you will be quickly given a long-overdue time out.

Please consider yourself warned - for the last time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline janda

Re: Question about environmental exposure
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:07 am »
Sorry about that Ann  -I forgot that we aren't supposed to start new threads.  I haven't been on here for quite some time and have made a lot of progress with my HIV fears.  I just started to panic this weekend when I saw the blood on the guy's hands.  (doesn't help that I'm 7 months pregnant and hormones seem to be making anxiety worse).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.